IGNORED

What'd You Shoot Today?

iacas

Played the front nine today at RiverBend with the missus.  Another solid, for me, round as I had just one double to go against two pars and six bogies.  Takeaways today - 4 of 7 fairways hit (had several that were less than an yard off the short stuff), only 2 GIR but another three nGIR.  Overall ball striking was more consistent and flightpaths are becoming more predictable, which "knowing" that has allowed me to keep the head down and focused on the ball.  Ended up with a 44, no penalty strokes - just a good relaxing time.  Best part though was seeing my wife enjoy her round as well.  She almost made par on a couple of holes, so the bug is getting to her!  

Ping G400 SFT 10deg  R flex
Ping G410 3w R flex
Ping G400 3h and 4h R flex
Taylormade SLDR 5i thru PW graphite shaft R flex
Cleveland CBX wedges - 50, 54, 58 or 52, 58 (depending on my mood)
Odyssey Versa or White Steel #5
Srixon Q Star

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Today I played a 9-hole match with a coworker. I’d like to say it was close and it came down to the last hole, but that’s not what happened. The only real drama in the match was on the sixth hole, more on that in my blog.

I played a very solid front nine in today’s round: four bogeys and five pars for a 40. Four GIR, five FIR. The back was as inconsistent as the front was consistent: two triples, two doubles, a bogey and four pars. 47 on the back, 87 total. An 86 would’ve lowered my handicap, but I three-putted from a slippery 2-footer on 17 to miss that number by one. Oh well.

I’ve probably got half a dozen rounds, if that, left this year. Hoping to get a little bit of positive handicap movement before January 1!

WITB:
Woods: Cleveland Launcher (Driver, 17 degree, 22 degree)
Irons: Titleist T200 (4-PW)
Wedges: Callaway Jaws (50/54/60)
Putter: Odyssey White Hot

I played 9 holes at Mellomar on a windy day, I forgot my driver at home while reorganizing my bag as well.

I shot 51, I had two pars and two single bogeys and the rest were blah. Once my back started acting up I was struggling from the fairway,. I was  trying to play the fairway with my new to me Persimmon 3 wood which went well on the first few holes and really not well on the Par 5 / long par 4 where I struggled to get distance and just ground balled it. I had 3 penalty shots for shots in the woods I couldn't find, without the blanket of leaves I might have had a  punch shot out if I found the ball.

My putting was really good, no 3 putts and I sunk a 17' for par and my lag putts were tap-ins on 4 holes. 

Edited by DCCarpenter

Shot 84 today (40/44), 11 GIR/nGIR, 32 putts, 3 penalty strokes.

Full swing was okay, I was really happy with the results from good swings, but bad misses were penalizing today, resulting in four double bogeys. I also attempted some foolish recovery shots that were costly.

Short game was pretty sharp, but I missed a bunch of putts inside 6 feet that I usually make a few of, and left a some longer putts less than a revolution short of being holed.

Strokes gained vs. 5 hcp:

• Tee: -4.47
  • Approach: -2.33
  • Short game: +0.90
  • Putting: -0.35

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

When my brother and I ventured out in the rain on Friday to Three Rivers in Kelso. It was a wet day, and the parking lot was empty...we saw four other golfers all day. I would not be surprised to learn that only six people played that day. We got a late start, and played the par-5 18th in near darkness. Light rain, rain, and a couple of downpours most of the round. It finally stopped around hole 15 or so. I slipped and went down walking off the 9th tee, which did a number on my injured right rotator cuff. Took 5 minutes to get it to calm down, but I was able to continue.

I ended up with a disappointing 98. Lot of slices of non-iron shots, so more chipping out of the trees and otherwise not having clear shots into the green than anyone wants, plus a few fat/thin contacts. My newly bagged putter (Axis1 Umbra) felt really nice, though. It gave me a noticeable confidence boost with direction control. Distance control also felt good, but frankly, slow/wet greens aren't a good test. I had one 3-putt, on #17, from my longest distance of the day (~40'). I like this putter a lot.

Despite the slicing, rain, and playing half the day with a muddy backside, it was a great time. It's always fun to get out with my brother, and we knew going in that the weather would be wet, so it was just part of the experience and fun.

Played Pinehurst #6 this morning, chilly 45* as we started.  38/38, 76 from the White tees.  11 fairways, 13 GIR. One birdie, 35 putts.  Good news is the greens are coming back nicely, they were very fast.  

Nothing to write home about today - driving was all over (5/14 fairways hit),  approaches were so/so (4/18 GIR plus 2 nGIR), putting average for me (35).  Was either doing good for me - par (6 of them) or bogie (7 of them) OR really bad two quad bogies (holes 3 & 11 - both par 4s), double on 12 & 15 and a triple on 18.  All combined for a 94.  Big takeaway for the day - trust the shot process, don’t get cute and put the bad holes behind as a new hole starts on the next tee.  

Edited by WillieT
Grammar

Ping G410 3w R flex
Srixon Q Star

Had a surprising early end to the workday so I played 18 holes at Walden Country Club.

I had been at the driving range with just my Ping G425 5 wood and 7 iron, weather was a sunny 52 and it was only 1:45 so I decided to squeeze in 18. I bought a $5 persimmon 5 wood at Goodwill on the way and borrowed a putter the starter lent me from the abandoned club pile.

I chipped really poorly, even though the 7i is my normal chipper,  and still just missed 100 by a couple strokes.  I probably lost 12-15 strokes from chips that went over the green or came up short. The 5 woods were really solid from the deck and the Ping 5 from the tee was a monster it made 2 200 yard carries over water for me. I'm going to give my pitching wedge an audition for chipping duties after today's performance from the 7. I could have scored 90  if my chipping was at the level it was last week. I managed a birdie and pars on all the par 3s..

I got in an afternoon nine at Croasdaile today. Started +3 through 3, which isn’t too bad there but I started leaking oil on the approach on the fourth. 

After a perfect tee shot I thinned the crap out of an 85-yard wedge with a back pin. Double. Then I overcooked a draw on the par-3 fifth into an awkward lie in a bunker. Double. On in regulation on the tough sixth, 12 feet below the hole. Three putt for bogey. Bogeyed seven (meh), leaving me at +9 with two to play. Two pars or even two bogeys still bring me home with a half decent score.

The eighth is a 387-yard par 4. I bombed one off the tee and only had 120 in. Nailed a PW on the green and left myself a 20-footer for birdie. Left the first putt four feet short, then missed that. My second three-putt bogey in the last three holes.

The ninth is a difficult midrange (405) par 4. I chose a 3 wood off the tee and just cold topped it. Didn’t even reach the fairway, and it nestled down deep in the rough. I’ll spare the details of this one, but I three putted again from about 15 feet to finish with a quad and a 50 total.

Putting was awful. 21 putts total today, no excuses there. My usual putting game brings that 50 down to somewhere in the mid 40s. I missed in all the wrong places too. 

Guess it was just one of those days: no part of my game showed up. Hope to hit the range in the next few days!

WITB:
Woods: Cleveland Launcher (Driver, 17 degree, 22 degree)
Irons: Titleist T200 (4-PW)
Wedges: Callaway Jaws (50/54/60)
Putter: Odyssey White Hot

Finally got on Pinehurst #2 yesterday and took advantage and played well.  I was 3 over thru 4 holes then birdied the par 5. That started a string of pars until a bogey on the 11th. Turned it around again and finished the next 8 holes 1 over with another birdie on the 16th par 5.  On that hole I pulled it left and barley escaped the deep bunker. Hit it hard enough to have the ball jump out. Layed up from there and hit the 3rd to the back of the green leaving a downhill 20 footer that wiggled all the way into the cup. A wide right tee shot on 18 had me hitting out of the waste area again but managed to hit it green side and finish with a bogey.  38/38, 76.  

I played surprisingly well today. Shot a 43 on the front, shot 40 on the back. It may not sound great, but it was super-soupy and very windy, so and 83 is really good. The key today was the driver. I hit 10 out of 14 fairways. The ones I missed were all long and ended up off to the right or the left. None were that annoyingly horrible 3 from the tee kind of drive. I made either a GIR or an NGIR on all but one of the fairways I missed. (We won't talk about the other one.) 

I only made 3 GIR's (I blame the wind, because I think I hit the approach shots pretty well.) but I made 12 NGIR's. Three of the NGIR's were in green-side bunkers. Two of the GIR's resulted in birdies. One of which was actually an eagle opportunity. Yay for me! 

Not sure if this will be my last round this year. The weather is starting to get ... what's the word... shitty? 

• Like 1

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

Shot an 84  (41 front / 43 back) at Minnesott today from the golds (66.1 / 112 - just over 5400 yds).  Winds were gusty where you had a good head wind heading out and a good tail wind coming back.   Temps in the low 50's so it was brisk with the winds.  As I wanted to make it a day focusing on approaches with irons I limited the woods and hybrids to off the tee.  All other shots going in were with irons/wedges.  I also pulled out the old Tommy Armour 845s Silver Scots (5i-PW, GW, SW).  These clubs were the full set of irons I purchased back in early '17 when I wanted to play more often.  They feel like home when I play them.  Back to the round.  Was 12 of 14 on fairways, even the two misses were just off the short grass.  Have locked in on a consistent tee height that works for the driver.   Putting was decent with 32 putts total, only one (1) three putt on 13 which the first putt should have gone in for birdie.  Speaking of birdie, a number of looks with just missing it right or left by less than 1/2 a ball.  Distance control was dialed in today as most misses were less than 3' to come back (some less than 6").  GIR was a dismal 4/18 but with another 4 nGIR it was a good up and down day.  Three of the 1 putts were up and down for par, that was a confidence builder in working around the green.  Was a great day in the golfing world for me.  

image.thumb.png.396bd38cf3d12d22a0ab76549a66f1d8.png

• Thumbs Up 1

Ping G410 3w R flex
Srixon Q Star

76 from forward tees since it is wet. Could have been a lot better as the greens are still recovering from aeration. Five days past posting season so don't give me any grief for that one not on my record!

I played 9 holes at Walden Country club,  I shot a 53. A passable short game would have made this a 45 or better. 

I had excellent approach shots today , I got a 9 wood yesterday and it played very well today. Also, lots of good 3 wood shots. Driving was acceptable on everything but the par 3’s, couldn’t hit the high dollar Ping G325 5W from the tee on those  to save my life, out of bounds on each.  

This course has small greens and they are all elevated pretty much. I previously was playing at Hawthorne , Mellomar, and Chesapeake where I could chip onto the greens with my 7 iron and setup good putts. I can’t do this at Walden.  Balls are running off the green , the elevated makes bump and run hard and chips don’t run up well at this course.  It cost me 8 strokes today.  I need to spend several large buckets of balls drilling my 60 degree , it is the wedge I feel most comfortable with. I need to learn to pitch.

Shot 91 (48/43), with 9 GIR/nGIR, 31 putts, and 6 penalty strokes (:~() yesterday.

The 6 penalty strokes were all the same miss. A wipey block fade into the shit. I have a lesson on Wednesday where I hope to get a better understanding of what is going on when this happens. After months of a brutal snap hook left miss, I am still happy that the miss is right, but I need to reign it in now.

I had streaks of good ball striking throughout the round; good backswing, weight forward at impact, ball first then turf, ball on line and hitting my distances, but the bad miss reared its head too many times, especially off the tee.

It was exceptionally windy, which certainly had an effect on the round, especially in my head. For whatever reason, addressing the ball on the tee while the wind is whipping messes with my focus. Short game was good enough, and putting was really good today, in spite of the debris covering the greens.

Strokes gained vs. 5 hcp:

• Tee: -7.00
  • Approach: -8.78
  • Short game: -0.89
  • Putting: +3.28

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

91 yesterday at Pinecrest, 48/43. My worst hole was the first hole, triple bogey. Drive went into the schmutz, dropped in the drop zone, then hit a bunker shot over the green. It is usually somewhat demoralizing to badly butcher the first hole. Second hole, a par 3, made it over the water, chipped on, 2 putts, feeling a bit better... 3rd hole, par 5, great drive, great second shot and 3rd shot was almost GIR, just a little short, and suddenly my mood improves greatly. Finished the round in the dark though. Cold, dark, and the wind was picking up. Lousy golf weather.

Driver: Ping G400 Max, 3w: Callaway Steelhead XR, 5W: Callaway Steelhead XR, 3 Hybrid: Callaway Steelhead XR, 4 Hybrid: Callaway Steelhead XR, 5 Hybrid Callaway Steelhead XR, 6-PW: Callaway Rogue, 56° wedge: Callaway Jaws, 60° Sand Wedge: Callaway XR, Putter: S2H2 Paul Runyon

92 today from the whites at Minnesott (just over 6000, rating 69.2/119).  It was one of those days where everything was off just a little.  The first hole I was greenside bunker and sent the third shot skating over the green for a triple bogie finish.  Followed with double, double with an up and down par on 4.  Par again on 5 so I am thinking things are starting to settle down.  NOT - with a double on 6 and bogies on 7, 8, 9 finished the front with a 48 on the front.  Biggest disappointment on the front 9 was 7, on in two only to three-putt for bogie.  Make the turn and its bogie central for 7 holes in a row!  On 17 hit a great 3w to about 130ish out (which for me is a good 8i).  Flush the 8 for a birdie opportunity from about 5'.  Sink it for the lone birdie of the round!  The last hole and it is starting to rain.  Get a good drive to the middle of the fairway, again sitting at the long side of an 8i shot.  Flushed it again and just on the edge for a nGIR (l mean sitting on the edge of the fringe kind of nGIR).  Anyway two putt for par and finish the back with a 44.  Stats are nothing to write home about with 5/14 fairways hit (which is okay as it allowed me to work out of trouble spots, thankfully I was hitting from 3" stuff at most or pinestraw), only 4 GIR and 2 nGIR.  A lot of scrambling, but no big duffs of shots.  Putts were 36 and four of the holes were three putts.  Still a good day, my son finished with a 95.  Both of us agreed there were a lot of strokes left out there - whether in poor club choice or inconsistent putting.  

Ping G410 3w R flex
Srixon Q Star