IGNORED

What'd You Shoot Today?

iacas

Played RiverBend from the whites with my son.  Course fairways were decent, greens were very rough.  We were the first out at 10 as we have had freezing temps and the thaw from last weekend’s ice and snow is about complete.  Shot 92 (51 / 41).  The 51 was a battle of missed hits and too many double bogies.  The back side 41 had 3 pars and 6 bogies for a 41 (off a par of 35).  Rough greens - they are trying to let them “grow” in where they are battling bare spots, makes for lumpy-bouncy putting.  Still to play 18 in late January with temps in the low 50’s and no wind with my son was a blast! 

Ping G400 SFT 10deg  R flex
Ping G410 3w R flex
Ping G400 3h and 4h R flex
Taylormade SLDR 5i thru PW graphite shaft R flex
Cleveland CBX wedges - 50, 54, 58 or 52, 58 (depending on my mood)
Odyssey Versa or White Steel #5
Srixon Q Star

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Went 6 days with no golf due to course closures here at Pinehurst. Played #8 today and surprisingly played well, 12/14 fairways, 9 GIR and 29 putts. 39/38 for a 77.

The Groundskeepers built a snowman on the Par 5 6th. A few fairways still had some snow in some locations but the course was playable.

Good to get out again.   But more snow is possible this Friday into Saturday.

1 hour ago, Sandy Lie said:

Went 6 days with no golf due to course closures here at Pinehurst. Played #8 today and surprisingly played well, 12/14 fairways, 9 GIR and 29 putts. 39/38 for a 77.

The Groundskeepers built a snowman on the Par 5 6th. A few fairways still had some snow in some locations but the course was playable.

Good to get out again.   But more snow is possible this Friday into Saturday.

Thinking you guys may be spared the white fluffy stuff this weekend, looks to be  a coastal low coming.  Thinking us coastal folk will get more of the white stuff sparing the piedmont. Really would prefer it just stay off the coast and be a fish snow storm.  

Ping G410 3w R flex
Srixon Q Star

15 minutes ago, WillieT said:

Thinking you guys may be spared the white fluffy stuff this weekend, looks to be  a coastal low coming.  Thinking us coastal folk will get more of the white stuff sparing the piedmont. Really would prefer it just stay off the coast and be a fish snow storm.  

I hope your right!

Played 18 with my son today at Minnesott ahead of the weather coming in (cold rain tonight, snow tomorrow morning), starting temp around 40 eked up to around 50 when we finished.  Scoring wise 92 (48 / 44) with nothing to write home about.  Actually the highlight of the round was on 12, a short par 3 playing 135 from the golds today (he took pity on me and we played up today).  He was remarking how he would love to get a hole in one someday and I told him he would.  He takes his 9i and promptly hits the ball to where it finished 3” from the hole. Perfect iron shot in.  Was super tickled for him and a tap in birdie.  Funny thing is that in the 70’s his grandfather had a hole in one one one of the par threes on this course.  I told him it will be neat that if one day he gets a hole in one on the same hole (will need to look it up to see which one it was).  As for me, three doubles, a triple and no birdies negated the three pars I was able to scratch out as the rest were bogies.  It was a good day that almost became a monumental day in my son’s golf journey.  

Ping G410 3w R flex
Srixon Q Star

Decent round with one or two bad holes.

Bogey x 3, par, bogey x 3, par, triple, double, par, bogey, double, par x 2, bogey, double, bogey

What's in the bag

• Taylor Made r5 dual Draw 9.5* (stiff)
  • Cobra Baffler 4H (stiff)
  • Taylor Made RAC OS 6-9,P,S (regular)
  • Golden Bear LD5.0 60* (regular)
  • Aidia Z-009 Putter
  • Inesis Soft 500 golf ball

Much better front nine than back nine, but still decent round overall.

Bogey, par x 2, bogey x 2, par x 3, double x 2, par x 2, double (OB), bogey, par, bogey x 2, par

What's in the bag

• Aidia Z-009 Putter

One of my better rounds of late with an 84 (42 / 42) off a par 71 (36/35) at Riverbend from the whites (just over 6,100 yds).  Front side started with a bogie, followed by two pars, five more bogies and a closing par on 9 to be plus 6 for a 42.  The back started with bogie and stayed all bogie until 15 where I parred it and 16.  With bogies on the last two I finished the back plus 7 for a 42 as well.  Hit 6 of 14 fairways with the remaining misses just off the short stuff, no shooting from the trees today!  Only two GIR but complimented them with 5 nGIR, so it was a good day of up and downs with just 32 putts and no three putts!  No worse than bogie on any hole!  

image.thumb.png.854916df4995ef0003c1dbceb16c7fac.png  

Ping G410 3w R flex
Srixon Q Star

First round in about two weeks today, and it was a good one! I made a statement to my brother this morning that I would break 40.

I was +2 through 3, so it didn’t start promising, but then I went on a tear: +1 on the last six holes gave me 39. Just a really solid round overall, nothing more than a bogey. The one shot I wish I could have back was my approach on 6. I nailed a drive that just trickled into the right rough, only 65 yards from the green, and I misjudged it and came up short. That was the only bogey in my last six holes. 

Only 14 putts today (no three jacks), largely because I got up and down four times (once for bogey, three times for par). I was just really happy to put together a truly solid nine holes, planning on playing again Thursday!

• Thumbs Up 2

WITB:
Woods: Cleveland Launcher (Driver, 17 degree, 22 degree)
Irons: Titleist T200 (4-PW)
Wedges: Callaway Jaws (50/54/60)
Putter: Odyssey White Hot

Well, played again today due to crappy weather forecasted tomorrow. Today’s first five holes were identical to yesterday’s: bogey-par-bogey-par-par. I also parred the sixth, the same hole I bogeyed from 65 yards yesterday, so I was +2 with three to go. I was feeling pretty good, no doubles or three putts in my last 15 holes.

I doubled 7 after a weak chip, but I was still in a good mindset, thinking “no big deal, it was just one hole.” Then I bogeyed 8, so I was +5 going into the last hole, a very attackable par 5, easiest hole on the course. Par would bring me in with 41. Blistered my tee shot and was just short laying two, a gimme par. Or so I thought. I thinned the chip over the green, then hit a very mediocre chip back up to about 20 feet, THEN I three-jacked. 

It all added up to a 43. Two over through 6, five over on the last three. On a good note, my brother played a very solid nine. He started triple-triple, but he birdied the third and bogeyed in for 47. His ballstriking is the best I’ve seen from him in a long time, so I think he’s definitely getting better!

WITB:

Don't know why I have been having a couple of blow up holes the last couple of rounds.  Oh well, started from the back 9 but will give you the score as per the card.

Par, double (water), triple (horrible chipping being NGIR), par, bogey, par x 2, bogey x 3, par, bogey, par, bogey (horrid putting), par, bogey x 3

What's in the bag

• Aidia Z-009 Putter

19th round of the year today, what a stinker.  Played #2, started with a par. Well ok….but then thru the 9th hole there were two doubles and two bogeys.  Back nine was 4 bogeys and a double bogey with one birdie on 14.  I was in 9 bunkers today! Had one sandy par on 11.  83 overall. 31 putts, 7 Fairways, 7 GIR.  Three putted 3X.  

Played one of the better local courses today at Cypress Landing.  From the whites just under 6100 (69.3 / 127).  Greens were super superb (they covered them during the recent icy weather) to where you had better be spot on in tempo and accuracy.  Fairways were very soft, no plugged lies but also no long rollers.  Wound up with 95, a personal best as it has been almost two years since we played it.  TOO many doubles (6 total) and a triple on the last hole made the score what it was, along with 8 bogies and 3 pars.  Most disappointing moment was on 10, on the green in regulation.  Had an initial putt of over 60ft uphill with a slight break right.  It was close with a leave to the right just over pin high about 6ft out.  The slippery slope got me as I was a little strong and is slid by stooping about 6ft away in the other direction.  Bogie putt lipped out and tap in was for double.  Hoping to return to this course maybe later in the spring.  BTW my son played with me, he shot a 99. He has two great birdie putts, one a long downhill that he only had to kiss to get it started. Was a pleasure watching it just idle along into the hole. 

Ping G410 3w R flex
Srixon Q Star

Played RiverBend today, this time as an “iron”-man challenge.  By that, I limited use of driver, fairway and hybrids off the tee only.  Used the irons/wedges the rest of the way to the green.  How did it work out?  Shot a decent for me, 85.  It was more of a focused round of working the irons than trying to shoot lower. The front nine was all about settling down to hit solid irons.  This seemed to take the first four holes as I was bogie-dbl-bogie-dbl for +6 thru 4.  The next four were all bogies for +10 thru 8.  Par on nine and ten.  Bogie on eleven with three more pars on twelve, thirteen and fourteen.  Three more bogies over the last four to finish the round +14 (the course is a par 71).  Putting  was decent with 31 total.  Was a good day in thinking “what do I need to hit to leave me “x” distance to the green. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Ping G410 3w R flex
Srixon Q Star

Brilliant round today with only two bad holes.  Finally played 8 over so shot a 78 on our par 70 course.  39 (4 over) on each 9.

Bogey, par, birdie (chip in from 50 yards), par, triple (OB), birdie (chipped to within a foot on par 5 from 20 to 30 yards), double (miserable from bunker), par x 5, bogey x 2, par, bogey, par, bogey.

If only I could play like this during tournaments I would win some prizes 😊

What's in the bag

• Aidia Z-009 Putter

Not much to write home about today. I shot a solid 42 on the front, but three doubles in a row destroyed me on the back and I finished with a 46 on the back and 88 total. Not my best stuff, but I hit the ball well for the most part. Putting was meh, short game was meh. Oh, and my handicap ballooned to 12.4 because my 77 from September slid off today. Lovely.

I think my bro and I are going to practice tomorrow and/or Friday and work on some putting. First day of the season is next Monday!

WITB:

88 today (45 / 43) at Minnesott.  Putting was steady pulls left, wasn’t seeing the cup like in recent rounds.  Did the “irons/wedges only” on the approaches again today.  Driver, fairway and hybrids only eligible for shots off the tee. While only hit 5 of 14 fairways, most misses were just off the short stuff, nothing really penal, I did manage 5 of 18 GIR, with 4 nGIR.  The “irons only on approaches” really works on instilling confidence when using said clubs.  

Ping G410 3w R flex
Srixon Q Star

Played a simulator yesterday. It was absolutely horrid.  My approaches were pretty well on line, but all went either long or short. Pitching and chipping were also really, really bad as far as distance control go. Same with putting, actually had a  5 putt, and some 4s to get up and down from a long putt or just off the green. Lots of 3 putts... Just couldn't get a feel for it on the big screen yesterday. I was at 93 through 17 holes, when we ran out of time.