IGNORED

What'd You Shoot Today?

iacas

Played #4 today. Great weather upper 60’s. About 48* when we teed off but warmed up nicely. Two of the 4 players were low HDCPs, 2.9 the highest. Everyone started off well, except for me! Bogeys on the first two holes. But I followed up with a couple of pars. Everyone was hitting good shots for the rest of the front 9. I finished 4 over. One of the Low HDCP players was 2 over. Back nine started with some wild shots but I managed to keep it down the middle and started hitting greens! I only found 4 Greens on the front, but when I added them up on the back I hit eight of nine greens!  One of the Low HDCPs started to play poorly and packed it in at the  15th after he hooked it OB! !  Finished the last 3 holes 1 under. 18th should go in the “Shot of the Day” thread, but here it is. 18th plays at 408 per the card. Slight Dogleg left. 240 to carry the bunker on the left edge of the fairway. I hit last after watching one player go way right and the other hook his shot left hitting a pine tree and it caromed left onto the 18th fairway on course #1.  Tugged  my shot a bit left after wanting to play right of that bunker. Started to think it might not make it due to the wind, but over it went. Fairway! 148 left to the front left pin. Hit my 2nd shot dead at the pin and high with the 7 iron. Thought it might be short due to the wind but when I saw it bounce I thought it had to be close. It was, 2 footer for my only birdie of the day. 36 on the back for a nice 76!  I was very happy about hitting 12 GIRs, most so far this year!

Funny shot of the day by one player occurred on the 17th hole. After hitting his tee shot right into the tree line he had an opening and went for it. By the way the 17th is next to Morganton Road, a very busy street. He wanted to hit a cut, but it went dead straight across the fairway off the property and tagged a car!  Maybe that’s Shot of the Day!  Car didn’t even stop!  He went and recovered his ball. The end!

90 at the Emerald today (44 / 46).  Putting was off, 37 total, (had put the blade in the bag and should have used the mini-mallet), with a steady stream of misses low.  Life on fairway was decent. with 9 of 13 fairways hit, with 5 GiR and another 3 nGIR.  Found myself scrambling a lot to get up and down for par.  

Ping G400 SFT 10deg  R flex
Ping G410 3w R flex
Ping G400 3h and 4h R flex
Taylormade SLDR 5i thru PW graphite shaft R flex
Cleveland CBX wedges - 50, 54, 58 or 52, 58 (depending on my mood)
Odyssey Versa or White Steel #5
Srixon Q Star

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Shot 77 this morning for a new personal best. Had 17 nGIR/GIR (7 were GIR, and three of the nGIR were only 2-3 feet off the green), 1 penalty stroke, and 29 putts. To throw out a meaningless statistic, I hit zero fairways, but whatever.

Played at an away course, which I have played once or twice, but not anytime recently. I tried to not let the unfamiliar layout mess with my head, and just trusted my shot zones. There were sustained winds of 10-15 MPH, so some of the approach shots were tricky, and a few shots into the wind came up way short, even taking extra club or two sometimes. But my short game was solid today so missed greens weren't that penal. I gained strokes against my target handicap in every category except off the tee, so I'm really satisfied with how I played.

Strokes gained today vs 5 HCP:

• Tee = -1.36
  • Approach = +0.10
  • Short Game = +2.73
  • Putting= +0.72

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

92 on Sunday. 46 + 46 on a very windy day at the Bucks club. Mushy fairways and cart path only rules made it a rather long round, but I got a lot of walking in! Greens were pretty good, considering the winter we have had.

Driver: Ping G400 Max, 3w: Callaway Steelhead XR, 5W: Callaway Steelhead XR, 3 Hybrid: Callaway Steelhead XR, 4 Hybrid: Callaway Steelhead XR, 5 Hybrid Callaway Steelhead XR, 6-PW: Callaway Rogue, 56° wedge: Callaway Jaws, 60° Sand Wedge: Callaway XR, Putter: S2H2 Paul Runyon

Played Minnesott today (brisk and breezy in the upper 40's) from the whites.  Finished with a 90 (43 / 47).  Blow up on 16 that should have been bogie 6 became a triple 8.  Still respectable in that I hit 7 of 14 fairways with another 4 that were less than a yard into the taller dormant stuff.  Hit 4 of 18 GIR, however putting was so-so with a total of 35.  Had a number of up and down opportunities around the greens, that was fun to use the 8i - or - 52 - or 58 to get the ball on the green.  Playing partner today was my wife's first cousin's husband.  He was visiting from out of state and we make sure to get at least one round in while they are in town.  We are to play one of the better courses tomorrow with my son going along, promises to be a fun day on the course.       

Ping G410 3w R flex
Srixon Q Star

42-41-83 over the weekend. It was my first 18 holes in 2022 and went very well. We played preferred lies in the fairway but it really wasn't necessary. The course is in surprisingly good shape for a February day in Philly. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Bill M

Played Carolina Colours today with my son and my wife’s first cousin’s husband.  Not a banner day, as I was all over the course. Literally from the left rough and the right all day.  You don’t score well when you have 40 putts, 1 GiR and 4 fairways hit.  Only one par all day, we won’t talk about how many doubles.  We enjoyed the round despite sucky scores.  Final score - me, 99; my son - low 100’s and our friend - around 95. 

Ping G410 3w R flex
Srixon Q Star

My brother and I managed to get out for nine holes yesterday. He didn’t want me to keep his score after about the fifth hole, but I’ll guess he shot something around 56 or 57.

I started with a double on one and a three-putt bogey on two, but then I parred the next four holes. Three over through six. I doubled seven after a poor bunker shot and a three putt, then made a nice up and down for par on eight. Five over going into the short par-5 ninth, and given my goal was to shoot at least 40 I needed a birdie.

I hit one of the best 3W shots of my life off an uneven lie on my second, and left myself twelve feet for eagle. I had the line, but it died right in front of the cup, leaving a tap in for birdie and the 40 I wanted. It was a fun day of golf, looking forward to practice this afternoon!

WITB:
Woods: Cleveland Launcher (Driver, 17 degree, 22 degree)
Irons: Titleist T200 (4-PW)
Wedges: Callaway Jaws (50/54/60)
Putter: Odyssey White Hot

Squeezed 9 holes in this afternoon.  6/9 temporary greens after storm damage and heavy rain.  Shot 55, which is basically to my last handicap, so given I haven't played for a year, I was pretty pleased with that!

Dropped some putts on the temp greens - pretty hard to putt on, and 3 off the tee on a par 3, which was a bit irksome, but some good stuff sprinkled in, and it's nice to be playing again.

Cobra F-Max Driver | Ping Karsten 3H, 4H, 5H | Titleist 690MB 5-PW | TaylorMade ATV 52* 56* 60* | Odyssey White Hot #1

53 today on the front 9, which could easily have been less.  Lipped out a tap-in on the 2nd, and had one awful blow-up hole.  However, averaged 2 putts over the 9 holes, and some of what I'd practiced seemed to pay off.

Cobra F-Max Driver | Ping Karsten 3H, 4H, 5H | Titleist 690MB 5-PW | TaylorMade ATV 52* 56* 60* | Odyssey White Hot #1

95 today at Minnesott.  Was a round of doing well followed by doubles and even some triples.  Could not argue with the company as my son and five year old grandson were my playing partners. 

Ping G410 3w R flex
Srixon Q Star

15 hours ago, WillieT said:

95 today at Minnesott.  Was a round of doing well followed by doubles and even some triples.  Could not argue with the company as my son and five year old grandson were my playing partners. 

Every time you mention this club, I have to read it again to make sure your not playing in freezing cold Minnesota.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

22 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

Every time you mention this club, I have to read it again to make sure your not playing in freezing cold Minnesota.

Oh yeah and autocorrect tries to put me up there as well!  

Ping G410 3w R flex
Srixon Q Star

2 hours ago, WillieT said:

Oh yeah and autocorrect tries to put me up there as well!  

Stay warm my friend!

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Forgot to talk about this, but I shot a solid three-over 38 in practice the other day. We played the par-5 fourth as a par 4 from the reds (345 yards) so par was 35 instead of 36.

I bogeyed the first because of a lip out, then I parred the next three, one of them coming from a tricky two putt from 50 feet. Bogeyed five, parred six through eight (up and down on seven and eight) and then three-jacked for bogey on nine.

Apart from the ninth hole (short par 5, should be par at worst) I played some of the best golf I’ve played in a while. Hit the ball really well, short game was on point. Also, combined with my 40 from last week, my handicap dropped to 12.0. We’ve got one week till our first match, so stay tuned!

WITB:
Woods: Cleveland Launcher (Driver, 17 degree, 22 degree)
Irons: Titleist T200 (4-PW)
Wedges: Callaway Jaws (50/54/60)
Putter: Odyssey White Hot

Total collapse today. Playing #2 had a slow start, 3 bogeys thru 4 holes. Starting at the 5th hole all the way thru the 13th hole I’m 3 under. Birdies on 9, 10 and 13 has me at Even for the day thru 13 holes.   Holes 14 thru 18 was a train wreck! Two pars, 2 bogeys and a double. Finished with a 76.   38/38, 29 putts, 11 fairways, 8 GIR. 

9 holes this afternoon in difficult conditions.  Very windy, and bitterly cold.  Lots of temporary greens.  My accuracy on full swing shots was poor, and I got into trouble a lot of times, and badly messed up the first three holes.  Things improved a bit after that.  Generally my short game was ok, and I putted well (fewer than 2 a hole on ave).  But a final score of 62 was a reflection of my very poor start.  However, the positive side was I stayed calm, and didn't let bad shots or bad holes get me down - I stayed cheerful and didn't get bad-tempered or upset at all.

Had planned 18 with my son, but the OT bug bit so it was a solo day for me.  Opted to visit Harbour Pointe today.  With temps starting around 60 and moving to near 80 it was a good day.  Course was busy, so it was ready golf for the most part.  Course conditions were very good, starting to see some sprigs of green in the fairways.  Shot a solid 86 (44 / 42).  Only one dbl, hole 3 that has a sand and water guarding the entire right side.  Played one club short and bought a fried egg.  Took two to get out plus two to sink the putt for a dbl 5.  Rest of the day was pars and bogies carding no more than a 6 on any of the holes (a personal best).  GiR was 7, none converted for birdie - but was happy to get the possibility.  Sadly 38 putts tells that my accuracy was off with the flatstick today.  Four of the GiR included three putts for bogie.  Still the best putt was on the par5 18 - was laying four (thanks to a fat wedge shot that came up short) that is just off the green (about 5 feet) and it is about 60ft to the hole pretty much straight uphill.  Decided to try it and rolled it to the hole.  Pace was near perfect, the ball barely missed right with a come around lip out that stopped about a foot from the hole.  Tap in bogie.  Good finish for sure.  

Ping G410 3w R flex
Srixon Q Star