IGNORED

What'd You Shoot Today?

iacas

What a saturday I had! finally all the game came together, played at my home course (70.2 rating / 128 slope) and shoot -5 (67). Amazing ballstriking and I managed to sunk a nice share of putts.

After a sandwitch at noon I joined a couple of friends to play 12 more holes, shot -6.
-11 in 30 holes, that was amazing to experience for a 1.6 index player. 

Of course, as I spected I hit reality on Sunday shooting an above average 75 (+3) witch felt like a horrible and boring round of golf. 

• Thumbs Up 3

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Played a round today and if only my tournament round on Sunday had been like this, would have won.  Much better.  Couple of bad holes but ball striking was good.

par, double, bogey, par, bogey, double, par x 2, bogey x 2, par, bogey x 3, par x 3, bogey

What's in the bag

• Taylor Made r5 dual Draw 9.5* (stiff)
  • Cobra Baffler 4H (stiff)
  • Taylor Made RAC OS 6-9,P,S (regular)
  • Golden Bear LD5.0 60* (regular)
  • Aidia Z-009 Putter
  • Inesis Soft 500 golf ball

Squeezed 9 holes in this afternoon, as it was lovely weather again, and my partner wanted to go out (she caddies for me!).  54 overall, with three bad holes (two bunkers, two shots each to get out, and one very difficult temp green on a horrid slope, which I *four* putted, but one legit par, and three bogies.  Felt like I played as well as I can remember playing.  Definitely need to practice bunkers!

Cobra F-Max Driver | Ping Karsten 3H, 4H, 5H | Titleist 690MB 5-PW | TaylorMade ATV 52* 56* 60* | Odyssey White Hot #1

Played 18 this morning with my son at Minnesott (Minnesott Beach, NC).  Temps in the low 60's getting cooler, winds gusting from the E-NE at around 20 to 25 mph.  Going to be a fun one.   Could not get a par, much less birdie the entire round.  I take that back, I managed one par number 9.   I had a good number of looks for up and down for par, just could not get the putts to sink.  Miss high or low, none were short.   Cannot say that about the approaches as I seemed to be about 1/2 club short most of the day on the approach shots which meant up and down with wedges, easily 10 strokes lost.  All that to say, while it was fun and a bit breezy, I wound up with a 99.  

Ping G400 SFT 10deg  R flex
Ping G410 3w R flex
Ping G400 3h and 4h R flex
Taylormade SLDR 5i thru PW graphite shaft R flex
Cleveland CBX wedges - 50, 54, 58 or 52, 58 (depending on my mood)
Odyssey Versa or White Steel #5
Srixon Q Star

Play/practice with my folks.  Played 7 holes.  Mom hadn't played for many months, if not a year or two.  Decent holes.  Nothing more than a bogey.

Bogey, par, bogey (3 putt 🤦‍♀️), par/birdie (hit another second shot which landed very close to the pin and an easy putt), bogey, par, par

What's in the bag

• Aidia Z-009 Putter

19 hours ago, pganapathy said:

Play/practice with my folks.  Played 7 holes.  Mom hadn't played for many months, if not a year or two.  Decent holes.  Nothing more than a bogey.

Bogey, par, bogey (3 putt 🤦‍♀️), par/birdie (hit another second shot which landed very close to the pin and an easy putt), bogey, par, par

Another practice day.  Today it was mom only.  We played 14 holes.  Had a decent round again with only pars and bogeys.

par x 2, bogey, par, bogey x 2, par x 4, bogey, par, bogey x 2

What's in the bag

• Aidia Z-009 Putter

On 3/10/2022 at 8:18 AM, pganapathy said:

Another practice day.  Today it was mom only.  We played 14 holes.  Had a decent round again with only pars and bogeys.

par x 2, bogey, par, bogey x 2, par x 4, bogey, par, bogey x 2

Yet another practice day and today was dad only.  Played 14 holes.  Couple of bad holes but overall decent ball striking.  Too many nGIR and then a chip and 2 putts 🤦‍♀️

Bogey x 2, double ,par x 2, bogey x 5, par x 2, bogey x 2

What's in the bag

• Aidia Z-009 Putter

Pretty shoddy performance today - 60 over 9 holes.  Pin positions were absolutely evil, and I had a couple of bad holes with several mishits in a row, on awkward slopes, in the rough.  On the positive side, I hit my driver off 7/9 holes, hitting 3 fairways, and only just off on two more, with better distance than my usual more conservative iron off the tee strategy.  Also hit 5W and 4H nicely.  Was mostly wedge shots on steep hills that was my undoing, and some near misses on the edge of the green (the holes were a foot from the edge, with a massive slope down the other side) which resulted in 3 putts.  I took notes on the shots I didn't like, and what I observed, so I know what to work on in practice.

Cobra F-Max Driver | Ping Karsten 3H, 4H, 5H | Titleist 690MB 5-PW | TaylorMade ATV 52* 56* 60* | Odyssey White Hot #1

Catching up from yesterday’s round with son and grandson.  Was the most consistent round in a while with 11 of 14 fairways hit, 5 GIR plus 3 nGIR, total of 38 putts.  Ended with a 91 (47 / 44).  Round was marked with blown opportunity on the green as none of the GIR’s were better than par, in fact only one was par the rest were bogie or worse.  Overall the round was solid “for me” with good drives, approaches that were on or near the green in regulation.  Most of all was spending time with the family. 

Ping G400 SFT 10deg  R flex
Ping G410 3w R flex
Ping G400 3h and 4h R flex
Taylormade SLDR 5i thru PW graphite shaft R flex
Cleveland CBX wedges - 50, 54, 58 or 52, 58 (depending on my mood)
Odyssey Versa or White Steel #5
Srixon Q Star

Inconsistent round today.  Played 21 holes today.  Was waiting for friends to come so played 3 holes on my own and then joined them for 18 more.

Bogey, par x 2

triple, bogey, double, par, double, par, bogey x 4, double, par, bogey, birdie, par x 3, double

What's in the bag

• Aidia Z-009 Putter

played a round yesterday which wasn't great.. shot 50 playing 9 holes off white (longest tees.. my best so far was 40 off white)

conditions were not easy and I messed things up mostly around the green with short chips and too many 3-puts..

hole 1 I 3putted after a GIR. hole 2 (par 4 with dogleg and some water in front of a steep green that also has water and oob behind.. it's SI1) I carried just over the green in 2 and then ended up with a 8 as my chip back down got a bit too much speed and the ball rolled off the green into the water and then I messed up getting back on and 3-putting.. hole 3 I bogied but had a good approach, just got unlucky with my drive getting into a bunker and then I hit the lip with my 7-iron while getting out so I lost a lot of distance ..

hole 4 (180m par 3) I just overshot the green with my 5-wood off the tee and ended up with bogie.. par on 5 (par 5), double on 6 after a messed up chip and a 3-put, bogie on 7, double on 8 (par 4) after having yet again been over the green with my 2nd shot. Then I bladed my chip back and it ended up in a bunker. hole 9 I bogied again 

cheers Chris

Low round of the year for me today. Played Pinehurst #6 at the last minute and was able to go out at 8:15.  Front nine was a blur hitting 7/9 GIR! Back to back birdies on holes 5 and 6.  15 putts on the front for a 1 under 35!  Back nine was a scramble with only 2, yes 2 GIR!  But only two bogeys on the back, my shoulder game and putting saved the round. 13 putts on the back 9, and 15 on the front. Overall  73, 9 fairways, 9 GIR.  Just crazy!

Today was my 48th round of the year.

18 holes at the home course.  Very mixed bag.  Some very good shots of the tee, hit 6 fairways.  But some shockers from the tee too. Approach game was weak - hit fairway woods badly, but 4h was pretty decent.  Short game was best by far - +14 according to Arccos, and I felt confident in my chipping.  Putting was poor - I missed about 3 x 3 foot putts, and a few I was way way off on distance.  120 in total.  But had fun, and some of what I've been practicing did make it to the course, so I'm happy.

On 3/16/2022 at 6:23 PM, Sandy Lie said:

Low round of the year for me today. Played Pinehurst #6 at the last minute and was able to go out at 8:15.  Front nine was a blur hitting 7/9 GIR! Back to back birdies on holes 5 and 6.  15 putts on the front for a 1 under 35!  Back nine was a scramble with only 2, yes 2 GIR!  But only two bogeys on the back, my shoulder game and putting saved the round. 13 putts on the back 9, and 15 on the front. Overall  73, 9 fairways, 9 GIR.  Just crazy!

Today was my 48th round of the year.

Expecting a great round today! Even through 6 holes then……ugh!  Next 12 holes yielded one par and one birdie for a smooth 81. Admit the course was sloppy, but it shouldn’t of mattered.10 fairways, 3 GIRs, 27 putts. Tomorrow is another day.

ended up with a 47 over 9 holes from the back tees.. had 3 par in a row (holes 5, 6 and 7), but messed up holes 2 and 9 drastically.. had 17 stableford points going into 9 (i usually don't check my score during the round to not mess with my mind too much) and missed my tee just a bit right and it went into the water and ended up with 0 points on that hole.. 

cheers Chris

First round of the season on Friday. Played 7 holes about 2 weeks ago when I paid my yearly fees off and that’s it since the outing in the end of October.

pleasantly surprised that my ball striking was right up there with mid season form. I centered up virtually everything I hit from wedge to 5 iron. Miss hit a few drivers but otherwise solid, consistent contact. First 9 holes 6 straight bogeys tho. Was just pushing and pulling and missing greens. I did find it 7-9 getting all 3 greens and went par, par, bird. 5 over front. 10-12 I couldn’t get a drive in play. Could tell the range time then 9 holes was wearing on me. Didn’t really keep a score rest of the way in. I made 2 more pars after and for the most part was just happy to be out. Solid start to the year at least.

Ping G400 9 degree driver, 3 Wood and 3 Hybrid, Ping 2016 G 4-UW,  Ping Glide Forged Pro 52 degree, Ping Glide 2.0 WS 56 degree, Ping Craz-E Putter, Titleist Tour Soft balls

Miserable round today.  Took my dad with me and we haven't played for a week.  Played 14 holes.  Started miserably and then played fairly decently on the final 9 holes.

Triple (OB), bogey (water hazard), double x 3 (water hazard on last of them), bogey x 2, par x 2, bogey, triple, bogey x 3.  Lost three balls in the first 5 holes and then game finally picked up.  The last triple is a par 3 and I was in a greenside bunker off the tee.  Caught it too clean and then took two more chips to get back on the green.

Hoping tomorrow my golf game will improve

What's in the bag

• Aidia Z-009 Putter

Today was supposed to be one of my playing days, but I have a busy schedule with my daughter (although one of the things is taking her for her first ever golf lesson, so that's pretty exciting), so the only chance I was going to have was first thing.  My home course early tee times get snapped up within minutes, so not a chance, but the 9 hole where I first was a member had some early tee times, so I went there for a 7am start.  Truly truly awful!  OK - some mitigating factors:  it was cold, and I was wearing several layers, and didn't feel very mobile.  The tee boxes are very uneven.  The course is short but narrow with a *lot* of trees and lateral hazards and a pond.  The fairways are very narrow, and in places are very rough.  It's soggy - the ground is sloppy and the club gets stuck in muddy gloop.  There are lots of slopes.

Nearly 5 off the first tee, but found my second ball.  Recovery shot onto what passes for the fairway.  9I into a lateral hazard.  Dropped, chipped onto the green and putted in 2.  Skyed the next tee shot, and it went about 90 yards, into rough.  Pulled the next shot into the trees - lost ball.  PW out from drop - decent shot, but landed somewhere and disappeared into the gloop - another lost ball.  Dropped again, decent wedge onto the green, putted in 2.  Third hole - over water - 9I just right of the green, chip and two putt.  Not bad.  Fourth, decent drive but just off the fairway into basically marsh.  150 to the green - tried a 4H, pulled into trees - lost ball.  Drop, two more crap shots, then nice wedge and two putts.  Next is a 200 yard par 3, narrow.  There basically is no fairway.  And a lateral hazard at about 170.  Anything short of 170 and you have an approach shot from heavy rough.  Just beyond, you have an approach shot from heavy rough.  If you can land it on the green from the tee, ok.  I don't have a club  that will do that.  Left and right are trees.  I took a 5W from the tee, which should just clear the hazard, and I hit it better than my 3W.  Driver I don't yet reliably hit straight, and I tend to punch and roll.  Nothing rolling here.  Shocking tee shot - about 80 yards, off the heel, into thick rough.  Tried to hit out to slightly less horrible rough.  Next shot duffed, into the hazard.  Drop.  Decent shot onto the green, 2 putts.

And now the crowing moment.  Short dogleg par 4, 300 yards.  Probably one of the easier holes.  First tee shot (driver) - hook into trees, lost ball.  Second shot - topped the ball, went about 10 feet.  Thought, ok, one mulligan.  Tried again.  Off the heel about 30 yards.  Ok - try again.  This one went about 10000 yards in the air and landed in some rough, and I couldn't find it.  Tried again.  Pulled into the trees.  Lost ball.  Tried again.  Adequate drive about 170 yards into rough.  So - I have 130 to the green, up hill, from a soggy, rough lie.  Duff this shpt, but it trickles onto the fairway.  Easy shot to the green.  7I - I hit it better than any shot all day, right  out of the middle, but slightly off line - must have been going to carry 135 at least - hit a tree, and bounced back about  80 yards, into the rough.  Bump an 8I which goes just over green.  Chip onto the green, and putt in 3.  I'd long since given up counting.  Picked up and went home.

This was the course I played when I first learned to play.  I'm still clearly hopeless.  What a brutal and discouraging round!  However - I'm not giving up.  I can and do play well (had an interrupted round last night on home course and was 7 over after 5 holes, with some good play.

I don't know if I should just not play this course - it's difficult in lots of ways.  Or whether I persevere and use it as a barometer of my development from time to time.  It's so wildly different from my home course - which is on chalk, drains well, has beautiful fairways, no lateral hazards.  It's not too narrow - does have a lot of trees.  But the greens are difficult.

Sorry for the essay!  Golf is hard!