IGNORED

What'd You Shoot Today?

iacas

Played Fox Den Country Club in Knoxville TN, had an up and down round.

41-38-79

3 birdies

2 doubles

2 three putts

5 Penalty Strokes (2 Ob and 1 ball in water)

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Fort Hays, Kansas

Thursday, April 14, 2022

Front 9 from the Whites = 47

Back 9 from the Whites = 52

Not happy with the 52 but wind was terrible. (25 to 35 with gust >40)

Wind did die down a little toward the end but it was too late to improve my score. 

Excuses? Still tired from playing 27 holes Monday. Just can't perform like I used to be able to do. (Getting old sucks 😞 )

Oh well, may play 9 more late tonight as weather is turning yucky later tonight. I am schedule to play Men's Senior Tuesday morning but forecast is: 65*, mostly cloudy, windy, with wind south at 25 to 35. (Oh well, at least it is a scramble) 

Callaway Rogue Driver, 12.5 loft, regular shaft, draw

Pure Spin 60* Loft Wedge, Stiff Shaft

Pure Spin "A" Wedge, Regular Flex

Irons are G-15 Pings, 5 iron - Pitching Wedge

Callaway Rogue 5 Wood, regular flex                        Callaway Rogue 3 Wood, regular flex

Callaway Cobra Hybrid #3 & #5

Mallet Style Putter 

I was supposed to have a matchplay today, but my opponent had to cancel last minute, so i joined some friends in their flight instead off the whites.. shot a "no 6es" today, which was unfortunately also a "no 3s".. every single hole was either 4 or 5.. great for the par 5's, not so much for the par3's 😉

Edited by cdh79

cheers Chris

Played Pinehurst #1. Blue tees, just under 6100 yards, par 70.  Good test for your irons.  Side note my friend who always rides a cart finally walked using a push cart! I’ve been after him to do so forever! Why do I mentioned that? Because he’s the slowest cart rider I’ve ever played with!
Anyway, birdied the first and last holes for a 73 (36/37). Hit 13/14 fairways and 12 GIR.  30 putts.

• Thumbs Up 1

Shot a 98 today at my local municipal course. We played from the blues which is just over 6000yds here.

Managed three pars and avoided any huge blowup holes. Spent more time than I would have liked in the woods, but I got a round of golf and a nature walk for the same price I suppose 😂

Played home course today, but for a change I decided to have a go at "best ball", having read about it in Every Shot Counts.  Basically I hit two balls, picked the best result, and from there hit two balls, all the way to the end.  Scored 89 over all.  Learned a lot, and a lot of encouraging stuff.  Often the best ball wasn't wildly better than the second best.  Often I was able to make an adjustment based on the first shot - slightly different aim, etc, and improve on it.  Putting was particularly interesting.  I was able to putt better the second putt most of the time, having learned from watching the first putt.  Overall the most encouraging thing was the consistency - it wasn't that I hit a terrible shot, and my second shot got me out of jail - that happened two or three times maybe.  Most of the time I hit a pretty good first shot, and then improved on it, which shows me that I am getting to the stage where I can make an effort to do something, and see that thing start to happen.

• Thumbs Up 1

Cobra F-Max Driver | Ping Karsten 3H, 4H, 5H | Titleist 690MB 5-PW | TaylorMade ATV 52* 56* 60* | Odyssey White Hot #1

Played Pinehurst #1 again today.  I’ll preface my review without a picture of my gashed right hand. I was cutting down some large junipers yesterday with a pruning saw and hit a branch on the down stroke (haha!) causing the saw to jump a bit and removed some skin below the knuckle to the first joint.  Blood was running a bit.  Anyway, did some first aid and I could flex my hand, so what the heck kept my 7:36 tee time.  Bandage was a little bloody when done, but redressed it again.  Think I’ll take a day or two off.

Yesterday was a 73, it was a little windy to start.  On the 1st hole yesterday I hit driver, PW to two feet for a birdie.  What are the odds that I would do it again this morning?  Go figure!  Yesterdays front was a 36, today was even par 34.  4 fairways, 6 GIR. 15 putts.

Back nine started with three consecutive bogeys, one was a 3 putt on the 222 yard par 3! Not happy, but birdied the 414 yard 13th. Had pars the rest of the way in for a 38. Back nine I was scrambling, 7/8 fairways, but only 4 GIRs. 15 putts. Par is 70. Shot 72, 11/14 fairways, 10 GIRs, 30 total putts.

Today was my 70th round of the year. Last 22 rounds all in the 70’s. Overall 60/70 in the 70’s.  High of 83 Low of 72. Avg. of 77.2 per GHIN.

• Thumbs Up 1

I played two other rounds last week:

Tuesday: We played the back nine in practice and had a 2v2 better ball match. I had an interesting round (three pars, three bogeys and three doubles) and shot 45. My partner (the head coach) and I were two up through 14, but lost 15 and 16 to fall back to a tie, and that’s where we finished. No playoff, which was disappointing, but I was happy to be back on the back nine at Umstead.

Friday: My brother and I went to The Preserve at Jordan Lake, and I shot my worst round since last September, a 101 from the blues (6612 yards, 72.1/138). I three putted six times and could not seem to keep the ball in play off the tee. I still enjoyed the round though, because It’s a fun course that I don’t get to play very often.

• Thumbs Up 1

WITB:
Woods: Cleveland Launcher (Driver, 17 degree, 22 degree)
Irons: Titleist T200 (4-PW)
Wedges: Callaway Jaws (50/54/60)
Putter: Odyssey White Hot

Had some free time this afternoon, so took a trundle round the original 9 hole course where I first learned to play.  Played two balls, better ball, again.  Was curious to see how I would fare, as I find this a very difficult course.  It's not long, but it's very tight, and if you don't hit fairways, it's punishing.  The greens are small too, so if approach shots or chips/pitches aren't accurate it's tough.  I don't have confidence to hit anything other than irons straight enough to not get into trouble, so I didn't reach any par 4 or par 5 in regulation.  There are three par 3s - the first I lost two balls (one in the lake between the tee and the green, and one in the heavy rough to the right of the green - I couldn't find it anywhere, so 4 with a penalty.  The second par 3 is 200 yards, and I don't have a club that goes that far, that I trust, so I left myself a 50 yard wedge in, and hit both just off the back of the green into very heavy rough.  Neither rescue shot from that rough reached the green, so another chip needed, and then a putt, for a double.  The final par 3 I hit the green with a 5I, but didn't hold the green, and it scooted off.  Chipped to 6 feet, but left the putt about an inch short (x2!) on a tricky down hill slope.  Final par 5 again I was punished for distance - had an 80 yard uphill shot to hit the green in 4, but left it short twice, chipped on, ran down a hill, and putted in 2 for 7!

46 over all... which is pretty poor for best ball.  But very interesting and enjoyable.  And lesson learned - for courses like this I need to be able to hit my hybrids / woods / drivers straight.  On wider courses I can factor in the over-fade shape that I typically get.  The longer work of controlling that is in progress, and the irons are much more predictable.

Edited by Dornenglanz
  • Thumbs Up 1

Cobra F-Max Driver | Ping Karsten 3H, 4H, 5H | Titleist 690MB 5-PW | TaylorMade ATV 52* 56* 60* | Odyssey White Hot #1

Was able to play again. Tough day, 20-30 mph winds, cold.
Nevertheless, had a good round and shot 82. One 3-putt spoiling a GIR on a par 3 hole, and seven 1-putts with a chip in birdie. Two birdies total.  I don't get many of those so I made sure to enjoy them.  I've been keeping stats, and putting and short game were both plus HCP equivalent, driving in single digits, but approach game (basically 100 yds and greater) was miserable at 18 HCP equivalent.  Obviously some work to be done but that will come. Only had 2 GIR, with 2 more about 6 inches off.  Going to have to prioritize iron and fwy woods play. 

Mike

Driver: TM Sim2 9* Ventus Black, M5 9* Kuro Kage
Fwy: TM SLDR 3W, 5W;    Hybrid: TM M1 4 Hybrid
Irons: TM Tour Preferred MC 2014
Wedges: TM Tour Preferred, 52 @ 51*, 56
Putter: Ping Scottsdale TR Anser 2 or Odyssey Rossie

It isn't the hours that you put in at practice that count. It's the way you spend those minutes. -- tony lema

84 today!  A solid 43 on the front and 41 on the back!  Only two doubles (both on the front), no penalty shots.   Usually when I start out with a solid front nine, I wind up with a mess on the back or make as mess on the front and clean up on the back.  Entered the round with a focus on making par on each hole.  I am not a scratch golfer, but I figured if I enter with the mindset that par is possible then it will be.  The five GIR gave me looks for birdie and another nGIR made up and down for par possible.  The fairway misses off the tee were just off, no wild slices or hooks today.  Really happy with the shots off the tee.  Came away with 8 pars (a new personal best), 8 bogies and 2 double bogies.  Total of 33 putts thanks to the approaches landing solidly on the greens.   Most relaxed round I've yet to play.  

My son and grandson were with me and my son scored his first ever eagle on the par 5 16.  He hit his tee shot left into the trees.  When we surveyed the shot options he opted for 6i punch to clear the pond and hopefully roll close.  Shot was perfection and it stayed low, clearing the pond scrubbing off the right amount of speed by hitting the front of the elevated green rolling gently to 6' away pin high.  My scramble for par paled in comparison to his eagle.    

image.thumb.png.5ca4b95e8a11ba74e2397fdaae5f0d53.png

• Thumbs Up 3

Ping G400 SFT 10deg  R flex
Ping G410 3w R flex
Ping G400 3h and 4h R flex
Taylormade SLDR 5i thru PW graphite shaft R flex
Cleveland CBX wedges - 50, 54, 58 or 52, 58 (depending on my mood)
Odyssey Versa or White Steel #5
Srixon Q Star

40 and a 52 for a 92.

Off the tee was good. Approach shots were not horrible. Putting and short game was horrendous. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

My first 18 at my home course, Leslie Park.  Walked and the "Health App" on my phone says 5.3 miles and 15 floors.  I have struggled in 2022 off the tee.  Today I did well off the tee and the rest of the game was okay.  82.  Not great but an improvement over the earlier efforts.  I wish it would warm up a bit and dry out.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Brian Kuehn

Golf game starting to come around. I’ve now played 52 holes this spring. 3rd league night. Partner couldn’t make it so I was on my own. Shot 5 over gross and 3 over with my 2 strokes. Wasn’t nearly my best but having rounds of 7 and 6 over in my previous outings it’s improvement. Some things to take into account would be that I made a sloppy, 3 putt double at 3. The other 8 holes I played pretty well making 5 pars and 3 bogeys. The other thing that made me feel better would be that although I made zero birdies, I hit 4 birdie putts that either lipped out or were lagged to within tap in range. Could have just as easily made a few. With no partner, I finished 2nd in team scoring and was first place for the individual week. Despite still not having my best stuff, I am still seeing my swing coming back each week. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Ping G400 9 degree driver, 3 Wood and 3 Hybrid, Ping 2016 G 4-UW,  Ping Glide Forged Pro 52 degree, Ping Glide 2.0 WS 56 degree, Ping Craz-E Putter, Titleist Tour Soft balls

87 today at Spring Creek Golf Course in Spring Creek, NV, par 71.  42 on the front and 45 on the back.  I played a lot more conservative today keeping course management in mind.  I hit my driver on three holes and hit it well, but this course can bite you very badly if you get greedy with the big stick, so I stayed conservative.  I mostly hit 4 iron and 1 hybrid off the tees to keep the ball in the middle.  My irons were working pretty well other than everything going left, straight left, dead pull.  Most likely an alignment/aiming issue.

31 putts, so apparently my putting game was on today.  I had no three putts and 5 one putts.  I was able to get the ball close with my play around the greens to make it easier on myself.  It seemed that if I was inside 8 feet, I was able to make that putt today.  This made me very happy since I have been struggling with putting.  I’ve been working on it, and it shows.

• Thumbs Up 1

Callway GBB Epic, TaylorMade R7 3W, Wilson D9 Forged, Vokey 54* and 58*, Bettinardi flat stick

Have now played 8 rounds at my local non home course - 6350 yards/par 72 (72,7/141) and I feel I'm trending a bit in the wrong direction: 81 - 92 - 83 - 85 - 87 - 85 - 87 - 89.  

I feel I don't hit the ball as well as I did 3 weeks ago. I miss it more left and I've started to hit 3-5 shanks per round, which is worrying me: 

FWs: 57% - 43% - 71% - 43% - 64% - 50% - 29% - 43% - avg. 50%

GIRs: 39% - 17% - 33% - 28% - 11% - 28% - 33% - 17% - avg. 26%

I'll hit some balls on the range and go through my routines a bit before my home course open on Saturday. Hopefully it's just a minor detail in my set up.  

Putts : 29 - 33 - 29 - 34 - 28 - 29 - 31 - 32 - avg. 30,6.  

The putting has been good, the high numbers in between there has been due to not so good chipping. 

Did squeeze a round in last weekend at another local course - par 68, 4900 yards, (64,7/111): 

76 shots - 67% FWs, 39% GIR and 31 putts on horrible greens. Decent round.  

• Thumbs Up 1

In the bag: Callaway Mavrik SZ 10,5 driver (X stiff), Cobra King 4 wood (Stiff, 2006 model), Callaway Mavrik irons 4 - P+A (stiff), Cobra King Pur wedges 52, 56 and 60 (stiff) and Odessey white steel putter.  Very happy with the set and the gapping. 

Played a new (to me) course today.  Not very long or challenging - wide fairways, and not much danger.  However I did play well, and practice with the 3H and 4H paid off, as these were straight and decent distance off the tee and off the deck.  Overall 82 (best ball), which I'm delighted with:

image.thumb.png.cde225d2dd7a77ff7546a29df43a95ab.png

My brother and I played a quick nine yesterday. My brother shot 49 and parred the last three holes, easily the strongest finish I’ve seen him put together.

I was +5 through four but played well the last five holes to shoot a 43: three pars and two bogeys. One frustrating thing (and you’ll see this in my blog post too) was that I couldn’t make a putt. I hit the ball well, but my round was pretty much summed up by the sixth hole: decent drive, great wedge to six feet, and a missed putt.

I’ve been told we’re playing again in practice this afternoon, so looking to report back tonight with results! 

WITB:
Woods: Cleveland Launcher (Driver, 17 degree, 22 degree)
Irons: Titleist T200 (4-PW)
Wedges: Callaway Jaws (50/54/60)
Putter: Odyssey White Hot