IGNORED

What'd You Shoot Today?

iacas

Played the front 9 at Minnesott today as I wanted to walk.  First time walking here, so I was looking forward to the exercise.  Went well as I had very little discomfort in the foot.  How did it turn out?  Shot 41 and that could have easily been much better as the pars were legit looks at birdie and the bogies were good attempts for up and down.  Finished with 5 bogies and 4 pars (No Doubles or worse, no penalty strokes, no lost balls).  Had 5 GIR plus 2 nGIR.  Attribute this to the approach game coming around as I am seeing a good uptick in the GIR frequency (thanks @iacas and the book Lowest Score Wins).  Putting could have been better as I had 19 putts. Hit 4 of 7 fairways, with misses just in the rough.  Going to walk more! 

Ping G400 SFT 10deg  R flex
Ping G410 3w R flex
Ping G400 3h and 4h R flex
Taylormade SLDR 5i thru PW graphite shaft R flex
Cleveland CBX wedges - 50, 54, 58 or 52, 58 (depending on my mood)
Odyssey Versa or White Steel #5
Srixon Q Star

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Had a horrible round last Thursday. 94, 3/18 greens, 7/13 fairways and 35 putts. The front was awfull, with 4 doubles and a tripple, so I teed off at hole 10 at +13. Finished the round with a double and 7 straight bogeys after a par on 10. Frustrating day at the golf course!  Ironically enough all my 3 greens in regulation was great holes that left me with 3 really good looks at birdie (4-9 feet). I missed all three of course. It was the first round this season without a breath of wind, so it's really hard to blaim anyone but myself.  

Hole of the day was probably hole 11 (long and very hard per 3 - 205 yards downhill with the pin placed back right, so you needed at least 197 yards of carry over water to get close to the pin) -  I hit a close to perfect tee-shot (7 iron), but I landed it a yard too long, so it skipped past the pin and went into the light rough just outside the green 15 feet behind the pin. I managed to blade my 60 from there and needed 3 putts from around 35 feet to get it in the hole for a double.....

Edited by Troy Ocker
  • Thumbs Up 1

In the bag: Callaway Mavrik SZ 10,5 driver (X stiff), Cobra King 4 wood (Stiff, 2006 model), Callaway Mavrik irons 4 - P+A (stiff), Cobra King Pur wedges 52, 56 and 60 (stiff) and Odessey white steel putter.  Very happy with the set and the gapping. 

.....My Saturday morning round was better: 83 shots, 6/13 fairways, 5/18 greens and 28 putts. My shortgame was so much sharper and my misses were not half as bad. I did get a tripple on hole 6 after this (how is it even possible): 

Open photo

The only other really bad hole was hole 17: 340 yards par 4 and one of the simpler holes on the course, despite not being a driver hole. It should not be necessary to need both 2 chips and 2 putts on any hole, so a double there.  

+7 on the front and +4 on the back 

Birdie of the day - Hole 15 (130 yards par 3): 

hull-15

Edited by Troy Ocker

In the bag: Callaway Mavrik SZ 10,5 driver (X stiff), Cobra King 4 wood (Stiff, 2006 model), Callaway Mavrik irons 4 - P+A (stiff), Cobra King Pur wedges 52, 56 and 60 (stiff) and Odessey white steel putter.  Very happy with the set and the gapping. 

A 'meh 92 today (45 / 47) with not much to report in great shot making.  It was a day of working on amending the pre-shot routine to reinforce the weight forward stance.  This was done by using part of the double stork drill from the Covid 19 Practice Plan.  Stats for the round - 6 of 14 fairways hit, 5 of 18 GIR.  Putting was off (39) with a number of 3 putts, which really sucks when you are on in GIR!      

• Thumbs Up 1

Ping G410 3w R flex
Srixon Q Star

I’m so sick of western PA weather. It’s now early May and I’ve played 61 holes of golf for 2022. WTF! Missed league last Wed. It was 42 degrees with 15mph winds on a fairly open course that’s on a hill. This week wasn’t all that much better to be honest. During the day it was pretty decent but by time I tee off it’s jacket weather and man I should have worn pants!

The golf itself was great either. Hadn’t played in 2 weeks. Got there in time to hit the range. As has become the norm I had my Sunday Tiger swing on the range. Worked up 56, 8, 6, 3w and driver and was nutting everything. Hit 2 drivers dead center of the club face and nuked. Put the driver away and went to putt. I wasn’t wasting anything on the range. Can’t hit a more solid bunch of shots coming off 2 weeks down time.

Hit the course and swing goes from Sunday Tiger to what Tiger would have looked like with a compound fracture of the leg. Ok maybe it wasn’t that bad but you get the idea. I didn’t do anything spectacular. Wasn’t awful. It was truly and average 9 holes. 5 pars. 4 bogeys. Couldn’t make a putt to save my life despite giving myself a couple looks. 

I’ve gotta play more. The weather has to improve for me to do that!

Ping G400 9 degree driver, 3 Wood and 3 Hybrid, Ping 2016 G 4-UW,  Ping Glide Forged Pro 52 degree, Ping Glide 2.0 WS 56 degree, Ping Craz-E Putter, Titleist Tour Soft balls

Played the back nine at Minnesott this morning.  Started off double, double but settled down to a par, bogie, birdie through 14.  Putting was okay with 19 total had several lip outs and near misses.  Loved that I made GIR on both par threes, one converting to birdie.  Had some fun shot making opportunities as I had to do a big fade out of the woods on 15, and a great splash out of the sand on 18 to within 5 feet of the pin.  A good day on the course even if the score did not reflect the same.  Shot 44 with 1 fairway hit, but 3 GIR and 2 nGIR and total of 19 putts.  

Ping G410 3w R flex
Srixon Q Star

87 at Harbour Pointe (44 / 43) playing with my son and a good friend of ours.  Round started off with par - bogie - birdie.  The birdie was a par three that I the 7i to about one foot from the tee.  Followed it with a par on the next hole only to go bogie-dbl-dbl-bogie to finish the side.  Back nine started with another par.  Then bogie-triple.  The triple on 12 is all my doing as I "attempted" a power slice to get out the rough on the right only to nail a pine limb straight down - called for another punch shot into the fairway. At least it was a par 5.  Still hated seeing the snow man, oh well onto the next hole.  Drilled the tee shot to the middle of the fairway for an easy 8 in for GIR.  Near miss for birdie, tap in for par.  14 was a drive down the middle with a 3h to about two yards in front of the green.  Putted the ball to a near birdie and another tap in for par.  The next two holes were bogies.  However 16 was bogie only because of my 2nd shot with the PW was thinned over the green, for a LW back on.  The putt for par lipped by, tap in for bogie.  17 another par 3 struck within 6' of the hole.  Birdie barely missed and tap in for par.  Final hole was okay with another bogie.  Takeaways for the day:  Range warm up pays off;  Be confident in the driver (today I used the SLDR stiff flex), rock solid on accuracy and distance - like I knew where it was going; Be consistent in the putt pre-shot and don't overread (too many putts just missing - both sides of the cup); Approach shots - when not sure, don't be afraid to club up!  I like days like this when the mind is clear to think ahead to the next shot and not dwelling on the previous one.  

Ping G410 3w R flex
Srixon Q Star

Argh!!!!............

Ever have one of those days?

Okay, last night at golf league I felt pretty good going in. The weather was perfect and I have been working on my game. It's a shotgun start and my partner and I started on a short par 4. Normally a hole to make some points. (It was the first hole I birdied last year according to the 2021 TST Birdie Challenge.) I actually got to the range ahead of our start time and warmed up. So, I was feeling pretty confident. 

• The first hole we played I proceeded to top my drive. Ugh! Then scabbed a hybrid off the toe. Ick! Ended up making an 8. Yeah, an 8 on the easiest hole on that side of the course is not a good start. 
  • Next hole is a long par 3, about 190ish. Hit pin high to the left of the green. My ball found some kind of a hole, knocked it out of there, then on the green, two putted, for a double. 
  • Next hole is a long par 4, water down the left. Lined up for a fade, and crossed myself up. Hit a draw into the water. Hit another scabby hybrid, back in the water. Somehow I saved a seven and carded a triple bogey. 
  • Next hole is a short par 5, lots of water. Roped my drive, hit a beautiful hybrid and flew the green, chipped on, 3 putted (in fairness it's a really tough green.) for a bogey. 
  • Played the final 5 holes at even par. One bogey, one birdie. 

So, I played the first 3 holes at nine over par. I played the last 6 at one over par. I finished with a very disappointing 10 over par, 46.

I have to miss next week, due to a family obligation. So, I won't get to seek revenge on the course until May 25th. 

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

92. No complaints. First time I've broken 100 this season. We've been playing mud ball all year so far.

• Thumbs Up 1

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

So I booked a time as a single on Friday at the home course. Everyone is working. I wanted to play. I got paired with 3 guys I don’t know but happily joined them since there were a couple 4’s in front of me and as a single behind that your wait will be terrible.

off the first tee I hit one just right of the fairway. I stay to the left and help the one guy find his, since he missed into some thick grass left and wanted to set the tone for the day as a member of the group who is willing to help find a ball. The way the game should be played. 

I had no problems with the group till the 8th. I hit one off right and had a little trouble finding it. I was a little irritated that when I found it the other 3 were already up at the green chipping, walking through the center of the green, not looking back to see if I’m ok back there or ready to hit. First time all day I’ve had a problem. I had not that to anyone all day and left them unable to find one or got way ahead of anyone in the group. I’m about 4 over at this point. Nothing but pars and bogeys. I haven’t exactly been holding anyone up or had any issues. You would think maybe someone would ask hey man you ok? 

at 9 I hit my drive and stick my 52 to about 6 feet and head on down left to help one of the guys find his drive. I could have just headed up to the green, but again made sure I did the right thing. Actually I was the one who found the missing ball.

We turn. I miss right. I’m right in the path of the guys coming down 11. There is a log jam. I can’t find my ball. Once again they are all up and the green chipping, putting nobody says hey you ok back there. Not looking back. Nothing. Parking lot is off of 11. I drove off at this point. Had enough. I shot 4 over on the front, nothing special. We were closing in on 3 hours at this point. It was headed toward a 5.5 hour round. My frustration was mounting and was tired of playing with these guys. Storm came through no more than a half hour after I left. Hope they all got drenched. I was in the car….

Ping G400 9 degree driver, 3 Wood and 3 Hybrid, Ping 2016 G 4-UW,  Ping Glide Forged Pro 52 degree, Ping Glide 2.0 WS 56 degree, Ping Craz-E Putter, Titleist Tour Soft balls

2 hours ago, Dunit507 said:

So I booked a time as a single on Friday at the home course. Everyone is working. I wanted to play. I got paired with 3 guys I don’t know but happily joined them since there were a couple 4’s in front of me and as a single behind that your wait will be terrible.

off the first tee I hit one just right of the fairway. I stay to the left and help the one guy find his, since he missed into some thick grass left and wanted to set the tone for the day as a member of the group who is willing to help find a ball. The way the game should be played. 

I had no problems with the group till the 8th. I hit one off right and had a little trouble finding it. I was a little irritated that when I found it the other 3 were already up at the green chipping, walking through the center of the green, not looking back to see if I’m ok back there or ready to hit. First time all day I’ve had a problem. I had not that to anyone all day and left them unable to find one or got way ahead of anyone in the group. I’m about 4 over at this point. Nothing but pars and bogeys. I haven’t exactly been holding anyone up or had any issues. You would think maybe someone would ask hey man you ok? 

at 9 I hit my drive and stick my 52 to about 6 feet and head on down left to help one of the guys find his drive. I could have just headed up to the green, but again made sure I did the right thing. Actually I was the one who found the missing ball.

We turn. I miss right. I’m right in the path of the guys coming down 11. There is a log jam. I can’t find my ball. Once again they are all up and the green chipping, putting nobody says hey you ok back there. Not looking back. Nothing. Parking lot is off of 11. I drove off at this point. Had enough. I shot 4 over on the front, nothing special. We were closing in on 3 hours at this point. It was headed toward a 5.5 hour round. My frustration was mounting and was tired of playing with these guys. Storm came through no more than a half hour after I left. Hope they all got drenched. I was in the car….

That's kind of weird. Especially if it's playing slow. Why not go give you a hand? What else did they have to do? 

I mean I've played with guys who are simply playing super fast. Nobody helps anyone; If you don't find it quickly; just drop one and play on; They're not really playing for score, just for practice. But it doesn't sound like this is the case here. 

Just curious, were these guys cut-throat with each other, or only with you? If they weren't helping each other out and moving past each other, than maybe that's just they way they play. If they were helping each other and being conscious of not moving in front of each other, but not extending you the same curtesy, then that's just rude. 

In that case, I would suggest that they were probably pissed off the course paired you up with them. In which case, they need to get over it and learn that part of golf is learning to play well with others. 

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

Yesterday was my first time back on the course playing in almost two weeks. A coworker and I decided to play two holes after work, and we played two balls, one from the golds (blues on the second hole) and one from the very front tees. Here’s what unfolded:

HOLE 1 (Par 4, 376/206 yds)

Gold: With low expectations, I striped a drive 260 down the left side and left just a short wedge in. I thinned it a bit but it still had some bite on it and I had about ten feet for birdie. Drained it.

Red: Going for the green, I hooked a hybrid into a hazard that doesn’t come into play from the longer tees. I dropped and then hit a beautiful chip that led to an up and down par.

HOLE 2 (Par 3, 151/102 yds)

Blue: Best swing of the day: a flushed 8 iron to about eight feet. I missed it just right but had a tap in par.

Red: Was playing about 110, so I decided to muscle a gap wedge, and another good shot to almost the same spot as my ball from the blues. I left it six inches short but right on line.

All this made me want to play another hole, but unfortunately darkness caught us. This was encouraging though. My brother and I are playing Tuesday!

• Thumbs Up 1

WITB:
Woods: Cleveland Launcher (Driver, 17 degree, 22 degree)
Irons: Titleist T200 (4-PW)
Wedges: Callaway Jaws (50/54/60)
Putter: Odyssey White Hot

I've played 5 rounds of golf this week, and I've played like a confused schizophrenic: 

87 - 2/13 fairways, 2/18 greens and 33 putts. Managed to chip-3-putt on three holes in a row on holes 4-6. 5 pars and a birdie was the highlights of a strange day on the course. 

80 - 5/13 fairways, 5/18 greens and 27 putts. 2 doubles and a tripple!! 10 pars and 2 nice birdies (one was 1/2 inch from being an eagle) and my game on and around the greens were spot on. The lang game wasn't the sharpest though. 

97!! - 3/13 fairways, 1/18 greens and 32 putts. A nightmare of a round. I think I hit 10 shanks, my lang and short game was horrible. In the end it was a battle to keet it under 100. Pretty much exactly 12 months since a played a round this bad last...

91! - 5/13 fairways, 5/18 greens, 32 putts. 8 doubles pretty much sums it up. Hit a lot of shanks this round as well. My friend told me on hole 11, after my 7th double that he never had seen me play this bad. Hit some decent shots after that, except another clean shank on 16 that straight OB. It was never any doubt who was going to pay for beers and nuts......

83 - 6/13 fairways, 6/18 greens, 28 putts. Still had a couple of shanks in me, but this was a big positive after the last couple of rounds. Made 1 birdie, but had at least 3 other good looks on day where the putter and wedges around the greens where pretty hot. 2 doubles and a tripple stained the round a little, but in the end I'm happy with the round. 

Shot 84 yesterday, 11 GIR/nGIR, 28 putts, 3 penalty strokes (all off the tee, right miss each time). A couple of the penalty strokes were on short par-4s, and I might need to revisit my LSW shot zones to pick a better target or a different club.

I'm happy with the score considering the penalty strokes, and the fact that I had a triple bogey and 3 double bogeys, including one on a really easy par-5.

Since my index is 10, but I feel like my game is closer to 12-15, I am going to compare myself to 10 HCP for the time being. As usual I lost strokes tee to green and gained strokes in short game, but overall pretty close to target.

• Tee: -1.72
  • Approach: -2.03
  • Short game: +0.3
  • Putting: +2.10

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

85 at Minnesott today from the whites.  We (my son and I) followed the Tues men’s group who followed the ladies group.  Pace was slow at times, we had a couple of groups let us play through.  Was one of my more consistent rounds with a 40 on the front and 45 on the back.  Started with 3 pars then a double on 4 that should have been par at worst as I triple putted.  Balance of the front was bogie - par - bogie - par - bogie - par.  Make the turn and par 10 with an up and down one putt.  11 blows up around the green as a blade my 58 not once but twice! Walk off the green with a triple.  Oh well, 12 is a par three and I do okay there eeking out a bogie.  Plus 4 already on the back.  Par 13 followed by two more bogies on 14 & 15.  Parred 16 and looking to maybe do same on 17 & 18. Was not to be so as I wind up with a dbl on 17 and bogie on 18. Finished 9 over on the back for a total of 13 over.  Had 10/18 GIR/nGIR - 7 which were GIR.  Approach game coming around for sure.  Total of 36 putts, reads were consistent.  A good round of golf.  My son finished with a 99, he’s normally shot for shot with me. 

Ping G410 3w R flex
Srixon Q Star

+2 (38) (diff 2.9)

• F: 6/7
  • Greens: 5/9
  • Putts: 16
  • SGP:  -1.1

No really great shots except a long chip to 1ft…just no really bad ones

Admittedly this was an abnormally good round for me, but my putting in general has made vast improvements over this past year thanks to @iacas suggestion to try the Blast putting device and constantly working on my pendulums, Bead & Speed.  Even though my SGP was negative, it was still good day for me😐

• Thumbs Up 3

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

Yesterday I shot 89 at Mill Creek from the blues (71.1/132).

Was +8 through 7 then went par-par to end the nine with a 44.  I started par-bogey-bogey on the back, but then four putted the par-3 13th for double after sticking my tee shot to about 10 feet, and that triggered one of my craziest finishes:

No. 14: Took all my frustration from the last hole out on a driver and it was a beauty, a 260-yard power fade that left me even with the 100-yard marker. I hit an awful wedge that came up way short, but I almost chipped in and had a tap in for par.

No. 15: I hit a decent tee shot, but played it a little too safe and had a hybrid into the long par 4. I missed the green by a mile to the right and was wet, but I recovered by throwing a dart to eight feet. Unfortunately I missed the putt and had to take a double, but it could’ve been a lot worse.

No. 16: I was out of position off the tee and had to punch out. Luckily it was a short par 5 and was able to get within wedge range for my third. I hit a good one to about 15 feet and comfortably two-putted for par. 

No. 17: This was a good swing but my 6I, which usually fades off the tee, refused to here and I was left with a tough chip. Took bogey from there.

No. 18: After a so-so drive that left me in the right rough, I nuked my 190-yard approach over the green into a bunker. Three bunker shots and a 15-footer later, I walked off the 18th green with a double.

At the end of the day, I was happy to post a half decent number on a course I haven’t played well in the past and on a hit/miss kind of day with my swing. We’re nearing the end of the school year (less than a month till I graduate), so I’m excited to get out on the course more!

Edited by dagolfer18

WITB:
Woods: Cleveland Launcher (Driver, 17 degree, 22 degree)
Irons: Titleist T200 (4-PW)
Wedges: Callaway Jaws (50/54/60)
Putter: Odyssey White Hot