IGNORED

What'd You Shoot Today?

iacas

47 minutes ago, bkuehn1952 said:

The stars and moon aligned with my golf game today.  73 gross with a 2.9 differential. We played Lakes of Taylor, an upscale muni designed by Arthur Hills.

I really owe it all to @dennyjones and @StuM.  We had a mini MI Club meet up at my home course, Leslie Park, last Thursday (7/14). They were great to play with.  I did not play great but it was such a relaxing session that I felt ready to play some decent golf.  Saturday I shot 75 gross/71 net in one of our club's tournaments and then today almost everything went right.  3 birides, no doubles, 1 three putt but 29 total putts.  I made no bombs but also missed nothing inside of 6 feet, save for that darn 3-putt.

I am sure time will bring on some disappointing rounds but for now, I am wallowing in golf happiness.😉

I'd like to take credit for your good play!    (Can't)  We'll have to do it again.  Congrats!

• Upvote 1

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator

70 (even) at Allegheny Country Club today. Birdied 6, 8, and 18, only 18 of which was new for this:

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Upvote 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

5 hours ago, bkuehn1952 said:

The stars and moon aligned with my golf game today.  73 gross with a 2.9 differential. We played Lakes of Taylor, an upscale muni designed by Arthur Hills.

I really owe it all to @dennyjones and @StuM.  We had a mini MI Club meet up at my home course, Leslie Park, last Thursday (7/14). They were great to play with.  I did not play great but it was such a relaxing session that I felt ready to play some decent golf.  Saturday I shot 75 gross/71 net in one of our club's tournaments and then today almost everything went right.  3 birides, no doubles, 1 three putt but 29 total putts.  I made no bombs but also missed nothing inside of 6 feet, save for that darn 3-putt.

I am sure time will bring on some disappointing rounds but for now, I am wallowing in golf happiness.😉

Glad I could help you, now if I could help myself. Was +16 at league today…on 9 holes! Just could not get anything going.

Stuart M.

I am a "SCRATCH GOLFER".  I hit ball, Ball hits Tree, I scratch my head. 😜

Driver: Ping G410 Plus 10.5* +1* / 3 Hybrid: Cleveland HIBORE XLS / 4,5 & 6 Hybrids: Mizuno JP FLI-HI / Irons/Wedges 7-8-9-P-G: Mizuno JPX800 HD / Sand Wedge: Mizuno JPX 800 / Lob Wedge: Cleveland CBX 60* / Putter: Odyssey White Hot OG 7S / Balls: Srixon Soft / Beer: Labatt Blue (or anything nice & cold) 

78 this past Sunday at a local municipal course, 7.1 differential. Best differential of the year!

9/14 fairways, 12/18 GIRs, 36 putts 😬 Extremely excited by how well I drove & struck the ball, even if it may have been a bit of positive variance.

Not going to overreact to the bad chipping & putting day, but I will make sure I am keeping to the 65/20/15 ratio.

• Like 3

So it goes.

Looking at yesterday's 89, I had putter in hand for my par attempt only 13 holes.  That's my worst performance on that stat all season.  Three of those five misses were poor short game shots that failed to get to green proximity, including one that went lateral.  Another two were caused by a poor tee shot followed by a poor follow-up

• Like 1

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Weird round yesterday. Not sure exactly how to explain this round without going into a ton of detail, so I’ll just put the scorecard here. 😃

98EB3705-92E0-4F90-8CFC-9659DC86C346.thumb.jpeg.b8180dce48074c8c3bb3350da12fbd9a.jpeg

I know it’s a little messy so I’ll sum it up in a couple of points.

•The format we decided on was a combined team total, and no strokes were given.

•One of the guys had to quit on 14 because he was overheating, which is why his row is blank from 14 on.

And now some stats:

FIR: 8/14

GIR: 8/18

Putts: 34 (three 3-putts in first six holes!)

After all that, it was a 10.4 differential, which was enough to move me into the single digit club! The new index is 9.8, which I’m really excited about!

• Like 2

WITB:
Woods: Cleveland Launcher (Driver, 17 degree, 22 degree)
Irons: Titleist T200 (4-PW)
Wedges: Callaway Jaws (50/54/60)
Putter: Odyssey White Hot

37 minutes ago, dagolfer18 said:

Weird round yesterday. Not sure exactly how to explain this round without going into a ton of detail, so I’ll just put the scorecard here. 😃

98EB3705-92E0-4F90-8CFC-9659DC86C346.thumb.jpeg.b8180dce48074c8c3bb3350da12fbd9a.jpeg

I know it’s a little messy so I’ll sum it up in a couple of points.

•The format we decided on was a combined team total, and no strokes were given.

•One of the guys had to quit on 14 because he was overheating, which is why his row is blank from 14 on.

And now some stats:

FIR: 8/14

GIR: 8/18

Putts: 34 (three 3-putts in first six holes!)

After all that, it was a 10.4 differential, which was enough to move me into the single digit club! The new index is 9.8, which I’m really excited about!

So, I assume you are "T" on the scorecard? 

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

1 hour ago, ChetlovesMer said:

So, I assume you are "T" on the scorecard? 

That would be correct 🙂

WITB:

So today was a good day with a 38/38, 76 on Pinehurst #4. I played it the the last two days as well going 77 and 80. But for those two rounds I scrambled like crazy. The 77 was 40/37, 12 fairways, 7 GIR with 29 putts. The 80 was 40/40, 9 fairways and only 3 GIRs with 27 putts.

My tee shots are ok but 2nd shots from the rough or fairway are pitiful! Fat city!  It was demoralizing for sure. My on course fixes failed miserably.

So today as I warmed up I tried something new and it worked! I went 38/38 hit 12 Fairways, but just 9 GIRs. Had one sandy par, other misses were just off the greens that enabled me to putt. Had a total of 27 putts.

What did I try to strike the ball better? I choked down about an inch! No fat shots!  I know, let’s see what happens next round 😁

Okay, so last night's men's league was interesting. 

There was all kinds of crazy luck happening to me yesterday. It seemed if I hit a good shot I got unlucky. If I hit a bad shot I got lucky. My driver is still all over the place but I'm working on it. Here's the round in a nutshell. 

1715182805_7-20score.jpg.4b56c7ab0770cc36808624f1bd7be303.jpg

I had 4 really good looks (8-12 feet-ish) for birdie. I didn't convert any of them. But none of them were embarrassing either. They just didn't fall. They all turned into tap in pars. Which is fine. 

I got super unlucky on both par 5's. On 10, My tee-shot just barely caught the lip of the fairway bunker, leaving a shot where I was happy just to get out. Then I hit 3-wood from about 240 out that should have been somewhere near the green. We never found it, so I had to go back and replay it. Argh... 

On 15, my second shot missed the green by only a foot or so, but hit a sprinkler head, bounce a mile in the air, then hit the car-path, bounced another mile in the air and ended up in some deep rough, with a weirdo side-hill lie. 

However, I got super (I mean super) lucky on 16. I had to hit my approach across the water. I hit it on the forehead and skulled it. Amazingly it actually skipped across the water and ended up giving me an 8 footer for birdie. I missed the birdie but made par where I had no business making par. So, sometimes luck balances out. 

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

CR/SR/Length: 70.2/127/6237

PR: 72

Score: 108

Putts: 32

GIR: 2

FIR: 2/14

Penalty: 8

Played this course last week and shot a 106 but feel like I played better overall.  8 penalty strokes, 7 off the tee, all of which except 2 were balls that I pushed OB (including two tee shots on 14).  I "only" had 5 last week.  Ofc that impacted the GIR number (2 as opposed to 3 last week) and the FIR number (2 vs. 3 last week).  Putting was a lot better (32 vs 41 last week) and I made a few one putts from 10+ feet including a birdie.  I used the new grip throughout the round so I think once I feel more comfortable playing with it I'll score in the 90's again (which hopefully starts tomorrow).  FWIW, this course always eats me up so it is what it is (11 rounds, avg score of 106).

Edited by RFKFREAK

Christian

:tmade::titleist:  :leupold:  :aimpoint: :gamegolf:

image.jpeg

Now how did I manage 9 pars and 5 double bogeys? I'll tell you how. On each of those holes I hit one bad shot which caused me to get on the green in 3 or 2 in the case of the par 3. Then it came down to the short stick. I started 30 feet from the hole or longer. I read the putting line correctly, but didn't put enough on the ball. I left the putts about 4 feet short and then missed the 4 foot putt. That's how I got the five double bogeys. The 7 on the 12th involved 3 bad shots, but at least I two putted. 

My left knee was not doing well, and was amplifying misses with my driver so ditched the driver after the 11th hole and took two Advil. The 12th isn't a driver hole anyway. At least the 5W kept me in play the rest of the round. This was a PB for the past 10 years. So I shouldn't complain except for the 5 three putts. It's always something with this game, isn't it?

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

89 at Minnesott today (44 / 45).  Join up with another guy playing, name is Joseph. I soon learn we are about equal in distance and accuracy.   Tee shot on one is a pull to the left side, trees knock it down in the left rough.  Approach shot (it’s a par 4) puts me about 2 yds off the left side green pin high.  It’s going to be a scramble to save par day which I don’t for a bogie on one.  Hole 2 is a five, tree shot in left trees again.  Punch out to the fairway, fourth or I’m on the green lengthy putt for par, two putt for bogie.  Manage par on three, dbl bogie four, bogies five, six and seven.  Eight is another dbl but with a twist.  Tee shot caught the left trees (another pull), approach is a push that catches the edge of the pond bank.  Ball is in a washout and I can get a club on it.  Take the LW and pop it clean to about 6’ in front of my playing partner. Fourth shot gets me on the green with a two putt dbl bogie.  I was okay with the outcome - no lost ball or penalty strokes.  Nine is a three with all water carry.  Land it on the green and come up 6” shy of birdie, not enough  speed.  Playing partner breaks off as he was only playing nine. 

Back nine starts bogie-bogie, which I am elated over.  Twelve is a  three  and I opt to club up.  Clean iron off the tee and I am thinking I’ve flown the green. Not - rather pin high with 8’ for birdie.  Sink it for the first birdie of the day.  Thirteen is a five that I managed to pkay Army golf on, finishing with bogie.  Fourteen is the second three on the back.  Feeling confident,  I land the ball just off the front of the green.  The flag is in the front - two putt for par  just missing the second birdie.  Fifteen thru seventeen are all scrambles to make bogie.  Eighteen is a push-slice right.  In the rough, hit the 5i approach very weak into the fairway bunker.  Sand is solid so a nine iron will cover the distance.  I finish just off the green right side pin high.  Fourth shot is a GW pitch  with two putt dbl.  Good round of relaxed golf, made  a new friend, had a few comments on how good my drives sounded, love hearing solid contact with the irons and being comfortable with the putter.  

Ping G400 SFT 10deg  R flex
Ping G410 3w R flex
Ping G400 3h and 4h R flex
Taylormade SLDR 5i thru PW graphite shaft R flex
Cleveland CBX wedges - 50, 54, 58 or 52, 58 (depending on my mood)
Odyssey Versa or White Steel #5
Srixon Q Star

Mullie free 43 today. Only felt like I left a few shots on the table. Hole 1 drive into the left rough. Pull a gap wedge and end up in the left rough about pin high, chip it on and 2 putt for bogie. 2nd hole hit the tee shot just into the right rough, pull a sand wedge to the left side of the green, disappointing shot there. I chip that on and 2 putt for bogie again. Hole 3 is a par 3, I hit a beautiful 7 iron to about 10' and 2 putt for par.

Hole 4 is one I dropped a couple shots on. I hit a great drive, but duff the chip about 20 yards, then hit the next chip how I probably should have hit the first one and it skips through the green, chip on and 2 putt for double. Hole 5 I hit a good drive, but duff another shot, but hit a decent chip on and 2 putt for bogie again. Hole 6 I hit an okay tee shot but maybe not quite enough oomph on it and the wind takes a small bite out of it. I've left myself short sided but I proceed to hit one of my better chips of the year, a nice low one with good check, especially for a 2 piece surlyn ball, another 2 putt for another bogie.

Hole 7 is the lone par 5 on the course, unfortunate I sky the driver a smidge and end up fairly short and in another fairway with trees to get over or under. Luckily I had a bit of an alleyway and was able to hit a very nice gap wedge over the trees and left myself about 134 in. Unfortunately I duff the 8 iron about 20 yards. I have been having a lot of trouble with these weird lies where the ball is on a mound and my feet are below the ball. Hit a nice gap wedge to just over the green. Unfortunately I overshot the greenside chip, and I 2 putt for double. Hole 8, par 3 I catch it a little thin and out of the heel, end up greenside right rough. I hit decent chip and 2 putt for bogie. Hole 9 is probably the easiest hole, a drivable par 4 with a good 3 wood or soft driver. I pull my 3 wood left into the trees, but get a really lucky bounce and end up in the middle of the fairway, with about 80 yards left in. Luckily I hit an excellent soft sand wedge to about 8 feet. Hit a good putt, pace was perfect, I read the break correctly, was just off on the line. Tap in the next one for par.

I'm very satisfied with that round, my pace control with the putter was pretty good, I didn't leave any woefully short, and I hit a couple knee knockers. I just need to keep up the putting and improve on my approach shots.

Edited by roejye
Formatting so it's not a wall of text
  • D1-SIM MAX D 9° Diamana pd 50 reg lofted down 1 click 
  • D2-SIM MAX D 10.5° project x riptide cb 50 reg lofted up 2 clicks
  • 5w- Radspeed motore f3 
  • 3H- Tour Edge Exotics e722 kbs hybrid stiff
  • 4-5h tour edge exotics ex9
  • 6-AW- Cleveland launcher xl Nippon Zelos 7
  • 56°-Cleveland CBX Zipcore
  • P-Odyssey eleven tour lined slant neck

41-47-88

Got off to a good start, even with a bad double on #2. But the back got derailed by three straight doubles with some poor execution of manageable shots. Lost my concentration in the 100 degree heat.

Bill M

Got a round in at Birmingham Country Club while my wife was visiting her sisters in Michigan. Shot 75 from the tips, which isn’t too bad considering I’ve never even seen the place. What a nice course too, really enjoyed the round. 

Note: hit 12/14 fairways which is really good for me. Iron play was pretty poor as I missed 7 greens.  

CD9E2BD9-9143-4B2D-A596-FA2D5DA3DE1E.png

0F4ADC44-2040-4B1E-9DCE-DBCCCFBB3373.jpeg

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

A few rounds to catch up on.

7/23: I got to play Croasdaile again with a buddy and one of the best junior golfers in the club.

I shot an 88 with not one, but TWO quadruple bogeys on par 5s. One after some bunker trouble, and one after a third shot that ended up so bad I would rather it have ended up in the creek that runs through the entire hole.

Other than that, I played well. The highlight of the day was a birdie on 15. Smoked a 3 wood to the center of the fairway, then hit a wedge to about eight feet. 

7/25: Well, I TRIED to get in 36 yesterday.

My morning round was at Falls Village, and I shot 88 there from the blues. However, that was only after I was +8 through 14 with nothing worse than a bogey on my card. On track to shoot low 80s, I finished the round triple-bogey-bogey-triple. What really hurt was that both the triples (15 and 18) were on par 5s.

So a bit of a disappointing finish, but one plus is that for the most part I hit the ball really well. Made a couple of clutch saves as well. My putting felt solid but another one of those days where nothing dropped.

Then after a few hours to rest, I had a 4:15 tee time at Umstead for my second round. I moved up to the whites here, but that didn’t help much. Parred the first, but then made five straight bogeys. I ended up making a nice two-putt birdie on the par-5 ninth to go out in 41. The eagle putt almost dropped. 

Then, after starting the back bogey-bogey, one of the guys I was paired with noticed that there was a thunderstorm forecasted to hit us in about an hour. Being that I was walking this round, I decided to leave because I didn’t wanna get to 14 or 15, the farthest point from the clubhouse, and then it starts storming.

So I was +7 through 11 this round. Ballstriking wasn’t quite as solid as the morning round, but it wasn’t awful. 

You may have noticed that for the most part, my play on the par 5s lately hasn’t been good at all. Not sure what the problem is but I’m trying to get to the bottom of it!

WITB:

I played Occoneechee yesterday from the white tees (68.1/118).

I started by going +7 through four holes, with a quad on the quirky par-4 4th doing most of the damage. Then I went +1 on the last four holes on the side, including a birdie on the par-5 5th, to shoot 44 on the front.

Then I shot a much more solid 40 on the back, with one birdie, three pars, four bogeys and a double. The birdie was on 17, a reachable par 5 at just over 450 from the whites. I hit a perfect tee shot and left myself 190 in, then hit a hybrid to seven feet. Obviously didn’t make the eagle putt but I had an easy tap in for the birdie.

So really a pretty decent round apart from one hole. I was feeling a bit tired after this round though so I’ll take the next couple of days off and start fresh next week!

WITB: