IGNORED

What'd You Shoot Today?

iacas

Played Wednesday Night League last night. 

1965723525_2022-07-28(1).png.90d77e30a880e7c045ee47d61b91c335.png

Felt like I hit the ball well enough to score much better than I did. I just found different ways to screw up something each hole. 

Went back to Bent Tree G.C. early this morning. Met up with another guy and played 18 holes. Mostly played a little better. 2022-07-28.png.ea5e5f47d34c8a378d61946ec0fd21de.pngI still have work to do.  

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Played Minnesott today with son and grandson from the white tees (just over 6,000 yds, slope 69.2/119).  We had a late morning tee time and it was hot and humid, heat index today was around 105.  Started off on one with a decent drive only to three putt for a double.  It set the tone for the balance of the front as it was a day of near misses on getting GIR and opportunities for par.  Only had one par on the front with five bogies and a total of four doubles for a 47 on the front.  Still no penalty shots incurred and putting was okay with 19 putts on the front.  Make the turn and I par 10, the second hardest hole on the back, and bogie 11, the hardest hole.  Plus one through the first two holes, game doing better.  Twelve is a par three that I get a nice par on.  Thirteen is the first five on the back and I get birdie!  Back to even through four holes.  Fourteen is the second par three and I get par again.  Even through the first five on the back.  The last four holes are a different story as I double fifteen, have a triple on sixteen (tee shot hits the overhanging pine limbs and drops the ball about 100 yds out from the tee).  Second shot I hit an okay fairway wood but still a good ways out so the third shot I hit the 3h looking to hit the green or nGIR (its a par 5).  I catch the hybrid wrong and wind up next to the lake, ball well below my feet.  Thinking PW to get the ball up and over.  I don't and now I am hitting five onto the green with the SW.  Wind up three putting for the first snow man in many a moon.  Round is going south.  Seventeen is all over the place but I manage to scramble for bogie with a wild up and down fourth to six feet from the hole.  Finished with a bogie on eighteen for a 43 on the back.  Putting was much better as I had 13 putts.  A great day to think about importance of course management and staying in the moment.  A good day of golf even if the score was not one of my better rounds. 

image.thumb.png.fef77430ad557feca819cdefbfe818a5.png 

Ping G400 SFT 10deg  R flex
Ping G410 3w R flex
Ping G400 3h and 4h R flex
Taylormade SLDR 5i thru PW graphite shaft R flex
Cleveland CBX wedges - 50, 54, 58 or 52, 58 (depending on my mood)
Odyssey Versa or White Steel #5
Srixon Q Star

Went to probably my favorite course this morning to get my first full 18 hole round of the year in. It's a short course, par 68 slope 65.1/120. I shot 81 while losing a sleeve of balls through the first 6 holes. Nothing really special as far as shots, but I did have some good ones today. My approach strokes gained was -0.19 which is the lowest I remember seeing. My putter was on fire (for me) 32 putts for 18 and only 1 3 putt, I wasn't draining putts left and right, but distance control was very good.

I'm proud of my mental game today, I didn't compound a bad shot, with another bad shot.  I think a good example of this would be on hole 17,. It's a 394 yard par 4 with a 90° dogleg left with a pond on the left at the dogleg and a creek that crosses the fairway. I hit a bad banana slice drive but I end up in the first fairway. I'm about 200 out and I do have a little bit of a line through some trees. Instead of grabbing my 3 wood, I grab a 5 hybrid and hit a 3/4 layup to the fairway just before the creek. I then wedge on and 2 putt for bogey. Previous times I've played that hole, I've been in better position after the drive, but have butchered the 2nd shot into the 18th tee box. The other hole that I'm proud of is #8, a fairly straightforward ~150 yard par 3. I absolutely duff my 7 iron tee shot and it only goes 86 yards. However when I get to the ball, I realize that the yardage I have left is a wedge swing I have a lot of confidence in. I execute the shot and leave myself a tap in for par.

I need to clean up the driver slightly, it hasn't been terrible, but I need to tighten up the dispersion. If I can do that and keep up the iron play and the putting, my scores should start dropping more.

• D1-SIM MAX D 9° Diamana pd 50 reg lofted down 1 click 
  • D2-SIM MAX D 10.5° project x riptide cb 50 reg lofted up 2 clicks
  • 5w- Radspeed motore f3 
  • 3H- Tour Edge Exotics e722 kbs hybrid stiff
  • 4-5h tour edge exotics ex9
  • 6-AW- Cleveland launcher xl Nippon Zelos 7
  • 56°-Cleveland CBX Zipcore
  • P-Odyssey eleven tour lined slant neck

Played with the group of guys in the TST Meet Up Reserve Run in Poland Ohio.

Shot 55 + 45 = 100.

The front was terrible. 

The back was just bad. 

Had a great time. 

I have a lot of work to do on my swing. Especially with the driver. The only bright spot was that the last 4 drives I hit were very solid. The first four were terrible. The middle four were progressively better. 

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

Won my 2nd event today on the US AM Tour.
Shot 39 on front and back.
Had 3 birds on the back, almost went birdie / eagle after my first bird.
My flop shot over a greenside bunker was dead in until the last foot.
It slid left over the edge of the hole and left me with a two footer for bird.

2nd win.png

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Johnny Rocket - Let's Rock and Roll and play some golf !!!

Took a road trip with a couple of buddies to Royal New Kent today (about a three hour drive for us), and I shot 95 from the black tees (6733 yards, 73.6/149).

Apart from a nine on 14 and a smother hook with the driver on 17 I played pretty well. Made a ton of bogeys and a couple of pars, but putting let me down a bit today. I actually hit the ball really well, and out of the eleven other times I pulled out driver, I hit the fairway with all but one of them. 

I enjoyed the challenge of this course and would love to be back there soon to tackle it again. Also, I have a match with a coworker tomorrow, and I’m feeling pretty good!

WITB:
Woods: Cleveland Launcher (Driver, 17 degree, 22 degree)
Irons: Titleist T200 (4-PW)
Wedges: Callaway Jaws (50/54/60)
Putter: Odyssey White Hot

New record on my homecourse on Saturday. I tested positive tuesday morning and didn't feel 100%, have had a great downswing in my form lately as well, so a bit low on energy and with a light cough I managed to get a beautiful 78 on my home course (6350 yards, par 72, rating 72,7, slope 147). Didn't strike the ball great, but scrambled really well and managed save pars and bogeys around the course. A tap in birdie on 1 and a 135 yard holeout eagle on 16 did also help a lot of course. My game around the greens and on the greens was very solid. Took 2 penalty shots: was in the water on 15 and managed to pull my second shot in the water on 18 as well. The eagle on 16 is the longest I've holed out from so far in my life. Surreal experience! All in all a very fun day! 

295823417_1730833743953206_5569486974436249670_n.jpg?stp=dst-jpg_p206x206&_nc_cat=110&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=aee45a&_nc_ohc=gs7pPpqxJNMAX_6yue0&_nc_ad=z-m&_nc_cid=0&_nc_ht=scontent.xx&oh=03_AVLpURG5DUTaHqYzTCn1syJx7kUnoGgXVigQDMKSNIAMeQ&oe=630DE33B

295806714_1042697599783417_4006456152740473805_n.jpg?stp=dst-jpg_p206x206&_nc_cat=102&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=aee45a&_nc_ohc=LiMyJ0EpUQ8AX_WFrt9&_nc_ad=z-m&_nc_cid=0&_nc_ht=scontent.xx&oh=03_AVLaLfMFL1pQby05s6ufQV_WGO-t-jTPuPNSQkVlTZIDMQ&oe=630DE123  

• Thumbs Up 1

In the bag: Callaway Mavrik SZ 10,5 driver (X stiff), Cobra King 4 wood (Stiff, 2006 model), Callaway Mavrik irons 4 - P+A (stiff), Cobra King Pur wedges 52, 56 and 60 (stiff) and Odessey white steel putter.  Very happy with the set and the gapping. 

Today I had the match with my coworker that we’ve been talking about for six months. We’ve gone from a likely 72-hole competition to just 18. Our format was a $5 Nassau, and we played the tips today, as we’ve both been wanting to do so for a while (7068 yds, 74.1/141)

The front nine was an absolute bloodbath. I shot 51, he shot 49, and he was one up on the match. Now down five bucks I needed to turn it around on the back. Here’s what happened:

No. 10: I made a disappointing bogey on the short par 5 after a perfect drive, but he three-jacked for double so I won the hole. TIED

No. 11: I completely blocked my 6I right almost out of bounds, and it led to a bogey, but he bogeyed as well after missing a short par putt. TIED

No. 12: We both made a mess out of this one, and we were both lucky to walk off with one-putt bogeys. TIED

No. 13: He doubled after hitting one into the road (probably 50 yards off line), and I double after a duffed chip shot. TIED

After halving three straight holes I knew I had to win one to put pressure on him down the home stretch.

No. 14: I was in for what was finally a decent bogey (tee shot just short, decent chip and an easy two putt), and he had about eight feet to tie the hole. He missed. 1UP

No. 15: I striped a drive and he hit one almost OB. I wedged onto the green and made an easy par, while he yet again scrambled to make bogey. 2UP

Now I’m dormie for the back, and I knew a win on any of the last three holes would sweep both the side and the overall.

No. 16: Two perfect drives, but he was 25 yards past me. I put mine just short of the green, and he fatted his second from about 170. He would go on to make double, and I managed to get up and down for par and take the win 3&2.

And then we both scrambled for par on both 17 and 18 to end it. The final numbers: 51-42 and a 93 for me, and 49-47 and a 96 from him. I’m happy to have turned it around, parring the last four holes in the process, but shooting 51 on the front hurt a lot.

The driver, like yesterday, was cooperating. I hit ten fairways with one bad miss (a double cross plus a very unlucky bounce OB), but failed to convert those opportunities, especially on the front nine. Putting, UNLIKE yesterday, was also solid. Everything else was just inconsistent: I had everything from a complete flush with an 8I to a shank (a few of the latter on the same hole led to one of three snowmen on the front).

This was definitely one of the closer matches we’ve had, and it will most likely be the last one of the summer because I’m leaving for school a week from Thursday. With work four of the next five days and packing to be done, I’m hoping to get one more round in before I leave!

• Thumbs Up 1

WITB:

League last night started rough and was +8 after just two holes but things got better and I went +6 over next 7 holes to finish with a 49 (adj. to 48 for GHIN)I even got Closet to Pin on #15.  #18 Par 5 was a disappointment.  My driver went 240 but into the adjacent fairway and had to come back through the trees which I did and left a makable approach shot but it hit just left of green and kicked into a green-side bunker.  Got out of bunker in 1 but just barely so had to chip again to get on green leaving a 20’ putt.  2 putted for double bogey.  Was 10 feet from green in 3 and ended up with a 7☹️. Considering the start it was not a horrible round.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

Stuart M.

I am a "SCRATCH GOLFER".  I hit ball, Ball hits Tree, I scratch my head. 😜

Driver: Ping G410 Plus 10.5* +1* / 3 Hybrid: Cleveland HIBORE XLS / 4,5 & 6 Hybrids: Mizuno JP FLI-HI / Irons/Wedges 7-8-9-P-G: Mizuno JPX800 HD / Sand Wedge: Mizuno JPX 800 / Lob Wedge: Cleveland CBX 60* / Putter: Odyssey White Hot OG 7S / Balls: Srixon Soft / Beer: Labatt Blue (or anything nice & cold) 

Played Bradford Creek today (a muni course near Greenville,NC). Played from the “member” tees, just under 6,200 yds (68.8/118).  Was a solo round as it was post band rehearsal.  Shot a personal best for this course, an 84 (43 front / 41 back).  10 of 14 fairways hit, 3 GIR,  4 nGIR, 32 putts total. The greens were super receptive, so much so I was fixing an average of 5 pitch marks per green.  Scoring wise - 5 pars, 11 bogies, 1 dbl, 1 birdie.  Of the pars 3 were up and down pars. The round was sorely needed as I had a really tough round the other.  Was a good day of golf. 

• Like 1

Ping G410 3w R flex
Srixon Q Star

After a surprising shift change yesterday (I opened), my brother and I played Croasdaile one last time before I leave for school next Friday. Also played with two juniors that I’ve played with before.

I doubled the first hole, but parred the next four in a row including the par-3 fifth where I was about four inches from slam dunking it off the tee. Made a 15-footer to grind out a bogey on six, then finished the front par-double-bogey to go out in 42. 

Our head pro, who was playing behind us, noticed that we (a foursome) were waiting on a threesome ahead of us on every shot, so he gave us the green light to skip to the nearby 12th hole and then come back to 10 and 11 to finish our round. Off we went!

I parred 12, doubled 13 after having to retee, then parred holes 14-18, only missing the green once by mere inches. Then I finished with a bogey on 10 and a par on 11 to make it 42-39 for an 81. Nice to be back in the 80s after two sketchy rounds earlier this week.

Driver wasn’t quite up to pace this time (only four fairways hit all day), but I did hit nine greens and gave myself a number of good birdie looks, but couldn’t get anything to fall. Overall a pretty solid day!

My plan now is to catch up on my high school season blog after almost the entire summer (conference tournament and regionals) this weekend and start a new one sometime in the near future that will document the beginning of my PGA career! Not sure exactly what it’ll develop into so I’ll wait probably two weeks into the semester and start it then.

WITB:

Tried to go to an indoor driving range with my nephew today so he and I could hit some balls, but it was closing for 90 minutes right after we got there. Luckily there was a golf course across the street and the rain was supposed to hold off for at least an hour. I went straight to the first tee, didn't roll any putts, or even do a warmup routine. Driver was not cooperating today, even when I was a little warmed up and this course was very tight, didn't hit a single fairway even when I switched to 3 wood, but that at least stayed on the planet. Not rolling any putts did possibly cost me a stroke or 2, nothing huge since I still averaged 2 putts.  I'm proud of that score considering the circumstances.

• D1-SIM MAX D 9° Diamana pd 50 reg lofted down 1 click 
  • D2-SIM MAX D 10.5° project x riptide cb 50 reg lofted up 2 clicks
  • 5w- Radspeed motore f3 
  • 3H- Tour Edge Exotics e722 kbs hybrid stiff
  • 4-5h tour edge exotics ex9
  • 6-AW- Cleveland launcher xl Nippon Zelos 7
  • 56°-Cleveland CBX Zipcore
  • P-Odyssey eleven tour lined slant neck

Played Pinehurst #5 this morning. U.S. Kids have been here all week and #5 was one of the courses they played so it was in great shape and the greens were running quick.

Nice ball striking today but the stats would indicate that I didn’t strike the ball well. Hit 8 fairways and 8 greens but the misses were marginally off so chipping was above average and putting was excellent!

Front nine I started with a bogey when from the fairway I pulled my approach left. Two pars after that then a bogey after pulling the driver left. Made an up and down on the 1st par 3. On the 6th hole pushed the drive right, on the cart path for my 2nd shot. No relief from our sandy cart paths! 2nd shot ended 15 yards short of the green. Just wanted another up and down but….yes I chipped it in! Last 3 holes were par, par and bogey for a 38.  At this point 3 fairways, 3 GIR. Just 13 putts.

Back nine started off well. Par on 10, a hole that has water carry to the green. This hole hates me! Took an extra club from the fairway from 120. A 9 iron which I promptly sent long! Got the par though! Next hole was an uphill par 4. Plays longer than the yardage but after hitting a good drive in the fairway I then proceeded to hit the 2nd shot to 2ft. Second birdie. Two pars followed then our last par 3, downhill over the water. Shot it at 175.  Decided to hit the 27 hybrid and was glad I did. Didn’t leave the pin, made the 3 footer for another birdie! Played the last 4 holes at two over. Had two hosel rockets out of nowhere! Made par from one of them by sinking a long rainbow cross green putt from 20 feet or so. The 2nd one on the last hole was off the pine straw. It just happened! Oh well.  Shot 36 on the back. 5 fairways, 5 GIR and get this, 11 putts. 24 putts for the day. Just crazy!

Playing the best golf of my life the past week and a half.  Shot 73-70 and won our Senior club championship last week.  After going almost two full years without breaking par, I shot the 2 under 70 last Sunday.  Yesterday I was +2 after 3 and kept my head down and grinded back and finished with a 69 -for the first time in my life in the 60's!  Would have loved to have saved that for next weekend and the club championship, but I have nothing but positivity flowing , so you never know.  If it goes well next week, you will all know about it!

• Thumbs Up 1

Back to Minnesott today with son and grandson. Much better round than what the score indicates, 87 (45 front, 42 back).  Started the round birdie - birdie.  My son said if I birdied three I had to play alone.  Well, no Birdie not even bogie, but rather double!  So I am now even thru three.  Rest of the front was messy with a par, two bogies, two doubles and a triple.  Nine over for a 45.  Reset on 10 and I start off with par, bogie, par, bogie, par.  Plus two thru the first five on the back.  Finish off the back all bogies for plus 6 or 42 on the back.  Stats: 10/14 fairways hit; 6/18 GIR plus another 7 nGIR (a personal best); 35 putts (was missing just right or left all day).  BTW - my son edged me out by one stroke as he finished with 86.  Good times golfing as a family. 

Ping G410 3w R flex
Srixon Q Star

So another crazy round on #4 AGAIN today.  I did play #4 yesterday going 41/39, 80.  8 bogeys, 10 pars.

I was feeling pretty confident on the first tee. I was playing with a father and son. Both low HDCP’s (3.6 and +2.8). Somehow I tend to play better with lower handicaps.

An interesting start, we all had pars on the 1st  hole.  2nd hole the par 5 hit a great drive, 2nd shot left 65 yards. Clipped the SW to 3ft. Birdie! Then a par, then 5 straight bogeys. The 9th hole a par 5 was almost identical, hit the same 3 clubs, this time I had a 4ft for birdie.  39 on the front. 5 fairways only 2 GZiR’s both resulting in birdies.

Back 9.  10th hole. Par, but hit 2nd shot long but saved par. Then a sandy par from a plugged ball, then a bogey. The next four holes were all pars. No greens hit at this point. The 17th a par 5 had a bogey.  Still no GIR!  Last hole is a par 4, 408 yards. Hit my 10th fairway of the day. Good drive into the wind, had 163 left to the pin. Hit my hybrid and stuck it below the pin! My 3rd GIR of the day! Had just over 4ft, uphill left to right. Made it!
37 on the back.

Ten fairways hit, 3 GIR and they were all birdie holes. Crazy! 7 bogeys, 3 birdies the rest pars.

Today was round 151.

Yesterday was a long day. We helped set up for a fundraiser tournament in the morning, then we played in it.

We started on 13, which means we get the toughest stretch out of the way. Our first birdie wasn’t till 17, but after that we got it going. By the time we got to the fifth hole we were -5 then we parred there and birdied the sixth, eighth and ninth holes. -8 with three to go. We birdied 10 and then parred the last two holes to shoot 63.

Then after awards my brother and I decided to go out for another nine. I’ll go hole by hole:

No. 1: Fairway, green, easy two putt for par. E

No. 2: Solid drive but missed the green with my approach. After a lacking chip I had to take bogey. +1

No. 3: I put a 9i safely on the green and made par after leaving some work after my first putt. +1

No. 4: After successfully cutting the corner on the par-5, I hit my second just short, hit a good pitch and made a slippery 5-footer for the birdie. E

No. 5: Got away with a bit of a hook off the tee and knocked my approach on the green. Unfortunately I three putted. +1

No. 6: Best drive of the day. On this 300-yard par 4, I left my tee shot 20 yards from the front of the green. I hit another good pitch to about three feet, but this time missed the putt. +1

No. 7: Yet another dart: a 9i to three feet. Yet another missed short putt. +1

No. 8: This was my worst tee shot of the day, an ugly hooking 7i that left me under a tree. I did well to give myself a par putt of about eight feet. Missed that one but wasn’t upset with a bogey after the tee shot. +2

No. 9: I had the opportunity to go for it in two and put it on the front fringe. I hit a decent lag putt, but for the fourth time in nine holes I missed a putt under five feet and settled for par. +2

So a two-over 38 for this nine. Definitely a solid round but as many short putts I missed it could’ve easily been a couple strokes lower. I hit seven greens as well, so one of my better ballstriking days for sure!

I leave for school this Friday, so hopefully I can play either tomorrow or Thursday.

• Like 1

WITB:

Rough day at league yesterday.  Too many errors leading to 4 penalty shots resulting in 1 Quad-Bogie, 2 Trippel Bogie, 2 Double Bogie, 3 Bogies and only 1 par for a whopping +17.  One issue I had was I was hitting so poorly that I decided to Club-Up a couple times because I was tired of being short and in crap only to have those shots be best of day and go long into the crap.  At least I can say I hit those shots well, just not a good result.  For example, on #5 I was 122 to center and 133 to back of green and hit my 130  club (PW) only to hit it real well but land just behind the green on a down slope and shoot into the waste area.  I should have hit my GW and, assuming same good contact, would have been a little short of center but on the green.  On #6 my tee shot went left into trees and I could not hit at the green and intended to lay-up with my PW @ 130 into fairway short of green but it went 145.  Luckily that shot was in rough and not a waste area and I was able to get up & down for par.

8-9-22 Sylvan Glen Front 9.png

Stuart M.

I am a "SCRATCH GOLFER".  I hit ball, Ball hits Tree, I scratch my head. 😜

Driver: Ping G410 Plus 10.5* +1* / 3 Hybrid: Cleveland HIBORE XLS / 4,5 & 6 Hybrids: Mizuno JP FLI-HI / Irons/Wedges 7-8-9-P-G: Mizuno JPX800 HD / Sand Wedge: Mizuno JPX 800 / Lob Wedge: Cleveland CBX 60* / Putter: Odyssey White Hot OG 7S / Balls: Srixon Soft / Beer: Labatt Blue (or anything nice & cold)