IGNORED

What'd You Shoot Today?

iacas

83 yesterday (45/38).  Had a bit of trouble with a wrong ball penalty situation.  I played better than I scored.  Birdie on the last hole gives me a tiny hope of a skin.  Results of the tournament have not been posted yet.

Brian Kuehn

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

79 yesterday from 6200 yds. Six one-putts and two birdies.  As I think about where to improve, I just can't hardly fathom how I can score better, and am in awe of those who do it regularly.

Mike

Driver: TM Sim2 9* Ventus Black, M5 9* Kuro Kage
Fwy: TM SLDR 3W, 5W;    Hybrid: TM M1 4 Hybrid
Irons: TM Tour Preferred MC 2014
Wedges: TM Tour Preferred, 52 @ 51*, 56
Putter: Ping Scottsdale TR Anser 2 or Odyssey Rossie

It isn't the hours that you put in at practice that count. It's the way you spend those minutes. -- tony lema

26 minutes ago, bkuehn1952 said:

83 yesterday (45/38).  Had a bit of trouble with a wrong ball penalty situation.  I played better than I scored.  Birdie on the last hole gives me a tiny hope of a skin.  Results of the tournament have not been posted yet.

Ouch on the wrong ball penalty, that hurts.

Stuart M.

I am a "SCRATCH GOLFER".  I hit ball, Ball hits Tree, I scratch my head. 😜

Driver: Ping G410 Plus 10.5* +1* / 3 Hybrid: Cleveland HIBORE XLS / 4,5 & 6 Hybrids: Mizuno JP FLI-HI / Irons/Wedges 7-8-9-P-G: Mizuno JPX800 HD / Sand Wedge: Mizuno JPX 800 / Lob Wedge: Cleveland CBX 60* / Putter: Odyssey White Hot OG 7S / Balls: Srixon Soft / Beer: Labatt Blue (or anything nice & cold) 

Started playing a Tuesday night men's league...Shot a 52 on a par 36. Driver was not working, and pretty sure I heard the shaft breaking on my last drive....Just a bad round (not to mention we were stuck behind a group playing a 2:45 pace for 9 holes). I did get a good pic of the course after the round...

image.thumb.jpeg.1d2304fcff974d4fa75b44130f49f1e1.jpeg

• Like 1

"If you watch a game, it's fun. If you play it, it's recreation. If you work at it, it's golf."

20 hours ago, jefkve said:

Started playing a Tuesday night men's league...Shot a 52 on a par 36. Driver was not working, and pretty sure I heard the shaft breaking on my last drive....Just a bad round (not to mention we were stuck behind a group playing a 2:45 pace for 9 holes). I did get a good pic of the course after the round...

image.thumb.jpeg.1d2304fcff974d4fa75b44130f49f1e1.jpeg

That is a nice picture. Course looks beautiful. Sorry about the bad round. It happens to all of us. 

Yesterday was my league night and it was very up and down. The driver was either golden, or garbage. Very little in the middle. I hit the best drive I've hit in years on hole 1!

• Hole 1: Shot Scope put my drive at 319 yards. Right in front of the green. It's only about 330ish to the green from the tees we were playing. Chipped on missed the putt, took a no-stress par.
  • Hole 2: I found a greenside bunker. Stuck up against the lip, should have taken an unplayable lie. Tried for the hero shot; Made it worse. Took the unplayable and a double. 
  • Hole 3: Again, great drive. Made par.
  • Hole 4: Another great drive. Made par.
  • Hole 5: Topped the drive. Hit is like 50 yards. Tried to scramble. Greenside bunker in 3. Descent bunker shot. Missed putt. Double boogie. 
  • Hole 6: Squirrely drive. Like 190 off the heel into fairway bunker. Next shot under a tree... Arg... Double boogey.
  • Hole 7: 7-iron to the center of the green. Missed 9 foot putt. Straightforward par. 
  • Hole 8: Another phenomenal drive. About 60 yards left for my approach. Fatted the pitch-shot a bit. Chipped on, 2-putt boogie. 
  • Hole 9: Drive was about 30 yards; I damned near completely missed it. Recovered. Hit the approach long. Tricky downhill chip missed. 2-putt. Boogie. 

So, yeah, My driver was all over the place. I've been working on it lately. And it's starting to get better. The good ones are really good. BUT... the bad ones are really bad. 

• Like 2

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

A buddy invited me to play 9 at Croasdaile with him yesterday afternoon. 

From the whites, I shot 41, he shot 44. Through six holes, we were both +2. Then I bogeyed 7 and he made a quad after knocking his drive OB. On the eighth, we both had wedges into the green, and somehow we both walked off with doubles. Then we took very different routes to par on the ninth:

Me: Blistered tee shot, 9i just short, nearly chipped in and had a tap in for par.

Him: Not a great tee shot, then he hit a 2i out of the rough to six feet from about 220 out. He missed the putt by a hair.

Fun day. Going into college (I leave tomorrow) my index is 9.9!

WITB:
Woods: Cleveland Launcher (Driver, 17 degree, 22 degree)
Irons: Titleist T200 (4-PW)
Wedges: Callaway Jaws (50/54/60)
Putter: Odyssey White Hot

I think golf has "make up rounds". I had two weeks where I had 9 pars in each of the rounds. My last two rounds I had two pars and couldn't hit a fairway. These are make up rounds where golf evens things out and tells you how bad you really play. 

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

81 yesterday + 87 today ties me for the lead in low gross for my flight in the club championship with 18 holes to go! 🙂 

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Played a six-hole 3v3 scramble with a few of the other guys from the program this afternoon.

I lost three balls in the first two holes but hit two great wedge shots and we were -1. Then we made three straight pars and a bogey on the par-3 sixth to finish. We lost by two shots. Needless to say, none of us had our best game today. I probably would’ve been close to 100 if I’d played my own ball.

It looks like I’ll be playing a lot of golf, so I’m probably going to start my college golf blog tomorrow and I’ll include some info that I’ve learned in orientation.

WITB:

Played again this morning to try and get out before a lot of people came (no tee times required at the Methodist course). And honestly, not much to say about the round.

I can pretty much summarize today’s round by saying this: I had a rough start and couldn’t get anything going. Parred 10 and 11 to start the back nine, but a three-putt for bogey on 12 ruined my momentum.

The final numbers were 47-44 for a 91. Not great. I also have a required PAT in two weeks at that course (more about that in my blog post today), so I’ve gotta get working.

WITB:

Played the back nine. Par 37, approx 3400yds. Scored 41 with one birdie. 17 and 18 went bogey-bogey, drive on 18 went all of about 50 yards, crazy.  Drive on 17 pulled hard left, nerves and tiredness perhaps. Par 3 222 yd hole with trees both side, got lucky, nailed a overhanging branch but it fell dead center apron.  Putts fell and that accounts for the good (for me) score. I entered the stats into Broadie's app and he told me I was +6 HCP putting. (Nine holes, nothing to get excited about.) Practiced an hour afterwards. then did 5 miles along the river walking.  Driver is still loose, but going out tomorrow for 18 regardless. got home just in time to see Zalatoris sink that winning putt. 

Mike

It isn't the hours that you put in at practice that count. It's the way you spend those minutes. -- tony lema

Played Pinehurst #2 this morning. Weather at 7:20 was 62*. It was perfect.  No hole by hole details but in terms of stats, my driving was just off hitting only 6 fairways, but my GIRs were 11, not bad.   39 on the front, 4 bogeys, 1 birdie just missing the eagle on the par 5 8th!

Back 9 was awesome for me, shot an even 36! 7 GIR’s!  Missed all the birdie putts! 3 were inside 6-7 ft!

Tidy 75 from the White tees.

Shot a 79 at my (former? I don't have a home course anymore) home course to win low gross in my flight of the club championship by one as defending champion.  This year 81-87-79.  One birdie total all three rounds, but also only five sixes all three rounds (one each in first and third rounds, three in second).  

• Thumbs Up 1

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Played Pinehurst #6 today. More good ball striking!  12 Fairways, 12 GIR and 30 putts.

Four bogeys and two birdies. 38/36 for a 74.  White tees. Last two holes I managed 2 pars in pouring rain!

Played James Baird, back nine. par 37 about 3400 yds 1 birdie, three bogeys. 5 GIR although one of those was a 3-putt bogey. Not a bad 3-putt as they go, slippery sharp downhill from 30 feet and I ran it past about 10 feet. Oops.  Scored 39, 2 over par.  Personal best I'm pretty sure. Shoulder/arm sore, but not as sore as if I scored 50, right?

Short game work paying off, up and down 3 times. One sand shot, left it maybe 8 feet away but missed the putt. Driving better, I added a degree of loft by turning the loft sleeve, (to 10 degrees) and purposely swung smooth and easy.  Had a couple that traveled 250+ which for me is good. I hit 1 3-wood and 4 5-woods to good effect. Say what you will about the short game + putting being key, but being able to solidly smack a 5 wood 200 yds into a par 5 is really paying off. One of the things I learned playing with better golfers is they hit the ball straight.  One of our group has a PGA tour tournament under his belt years ago and it's humbling and inspiring both to see what can be done with a golf ball.

Anyways, now I'm fired up. Still not sure how to score better, but gonna keep at it.

Mike

I wish I could say yesterday was a "Bad" round but it is more typical lately.  Shot 52 on par 35.  On #13 I could have done better hitting putter every shot!  Really not sure what I did on the tee shot.  Shot Scope say I hit it 24 yards, but that was sideways and I only advanced the ball a couple of yards.  Can I say "Advanced the ball" and "Couple of yards" in same sentence referring to my driver?

8-16-22 Sylvan Glen Back 9.png

Stuart M.

Driver: Ping G410 Plus 10.5* +1* / 3 Hybrid: Cleveland HIBORE XLS / 4,5 & 6 Hybrids: Mizuno JP FLI-HI / Irons/Wedges 7-8-9-P-G: Mizuno JPX800 HD / Sand Wedge: Mizuno JPX 800 / Lob Wedge: Cleveland CBX 60* / Putter: Odyssey White Hot OG 7S / Balls: Srixon Soft / Beer: Labatt Blue (or anything nice & cold) 

Well, today was interesting.  Started on back nine with Par 3 hole.  It was a rough start putting 2 consecutive tee shots in the crap.  I should have gone to the drop zone after the first mishit but NOOOOO, I wanted to hit a great tee shot but instead I hit the 2nd just as bad as the first.  Moved forward to the drop zone and ended with a 7 on a par 3.  Then a thunder storm came in and we left the course for shelter after the 2nd hole to wait it out.  That gave me a good 30 minutes before they gave the "All Clear" to head back out and started to hit a little better (only a little).  On #14 I hit my drive left through some trees and tried a punch shot to get back to the fairway but hit a tree and got 39 yards of NEGATIVE Yardage.  Good news is I followed that up with a Par on #15 and a birdie on #18 with a great approach shot and a 9 foot birdie putt.  Overall shot 49 which is better then yesterday on came holes at same course.

8-17-22 Sylvan Glen Back 9.png

Stuart M.

Was treated to a birthday round by my son today.  Our favorite local course was super busy, so we opted for the next nearest course, Harbour Pointe.  They had had enough rain of late that it was cart path only, which meant a slightly slower but steady pace of play.  We played from the gold tees (68.1 / 117, about 5650 yds) and with light breezes, low humidity and temps in the low 80's we were looking forward to a relaxing round.   Wound up shooting an 88 (42 front/46 back).   

First tee shot was a push right that required a PW punch shot to get back into the short stuff.  LW to the back of the green and two putt for bogie.  Second hole is a par 5 make it GIR and long lag putt and tap in for par.  Hole three, I get heavy with the 6i tee as its a par 3 and land a little short.  A putt from just off the green and tap in and my first up and down for par of the round.  Hole four is the second par 5 (this course has 3-5's, 3-4's and 3-3's on the front nine), again make the green in regulation with a near birdie miss and tap in for par.  Plus one through the first four holes.  Hole five is a dogleg left and I hit the tee shot shorter than normal.  With a super long approach, I opt to lay up and work for an up and down.  Did not happen as I two putted for bogie.  Hole six is the second par 3 and I also bogie it as I don't have a solid tee shot and come up short.  Up and down attempt resulted in another two putt for bogie.  Hole seven is the first bad hole of the round (and only bad hole on the front).  Tee shot does not carry and I hit a great 3h to about 110yds out.  Only one problem, there is a giant pine whose limbs are in my way.  Not confident enough to hit over, I opt to punch it with a low shot with the 4h.  Catch it just enough that it does a major lap dance in the limbs of the pine and drops 50 yds from the hole.  I take the SW and put it about 30' from the hole.  A misread and I three putt for double bogie.  Ugggh!  Eight is the shortest par 4 on the front, 3w and a miscalculated PW and I am laying two, hitting three just off the green.  Putting from there I just miss and tap in for my second up and down for par of the round.  Nine is the last par 3 of the front, I am on the green on the green with my tee shot.  Make a mess of the putting (three putt) and bogie.  Close out the front plus 6 for a 42.   Make the turn and ten is the wettest hole on the course.  Tee shots fall and stick, not matter where you land on the fairway.  Approach with the 4h is heavy and I am short.  Take the GW and get on the green with a two putt for bogie.  Eleven is a par 3 and I miss short again.  Another LW onto the green with a timid 2nd putt that makes it a three putt double! Twelve is the first 5 on the back and my 2nd shot is pulled left, a 6i recovery out of the trees and I am okay.  I thin the LW to the back of the green and have to putt from the rough to a back pin.  Another double bogie.  I am already plus 5 on the back.  Thirteen, fourteen and sixteen are three more bogies - now I am plus 8 on the back.  Fifteen is a double tucked in the midst of the singles taking me to plus 10 on the back.  Seventeen and eighteen I manage to get up and down pars to close out the back with a plus 10  46.   Today was a day where on several holes I rattled tree limbs costing me a minimum of 4 strokes.  The soft fairways were not conducive to any rollout which made for longer approaches.  Putting was decent (for me) with a total of 32 putts.  I hit 10 of 13 fairways (a personal best), 3 GIR and the 4 nGIR were ALL converted to pars!  The latter stat is a definite all time best!  Even with the tree rattling (that 6i seemed to be destined to put me in the trees), I was happy with the score.  My son had some struggles but we all agreed it was a fabulous day on the course.       

image.thumb.png.9e88055e83049eba4253e120243da95e.png

• Thumbs Up 1

Ping G400 SFT 10deg  R flex
Ping G410 3w R flex
Ping G400 3h and 4h R flex
Taylormade SLDR 5i thru PW graphite shaft R flex
Cleveland CBX wedges - 50, 54, 58 or 52, 58 (depending on my mood)
Odyssey Versa or White Steel #5
Srixon Q Star