IGNORED

What'd You Shoot Today?

iacas

Did it today!

image.thumb.png.86910026e36b081d6470ae38a5f36b70.png

Missing the birdie on #1 hurt because I drove it to the fringe and 3 putted there...

First 2 holes today were some of the best golf I've played. Trying to read and put "Golf is not a Game of Perfect" mentality into my approach, but it's pretty hard. Hit the green on #3 and then 3 putted which got me off my game and lead to the next 2 holes being a clown fest. OB on the next drive and then on #5 I sky balled my drive, hit an incredible 210yd 3 hybrid to the a few feet from the green and then chipped it to like 8ft and 3 putted! So annoying, I really need to improve my putting...

Other than that I was very happy with the 4 on #6 which is the #1 hcp hole here. Hit a solid 260 yard drive, then a real good 6 iron the remaining 175 to just on the fringe, 1 chip and 1 putt and sweet victory.

Feel like I can break 40 on this course if I could just combine my putting and my good shots together on a few more holes, or at least have my putting bail me out 1-2x a round...

Edited by SullyGolf
  • Thumbs Up 2

Shot an 83 (40/43)  at Minnesott today with my son.  We played from the gold tees (5400 yds, slope 66.1/112).  Started off par, par, then went dbl, dbl, then went par on the balance of the front nine for a four over 40.  It is the first time I have ever had a string of five pars in a row.  Make the turn and I start with a par on 10, bogie on 11 and birdie on 12, even through the first three of the back nine.  After making par on 13, I went bogie on 14, triple on 15.  The triple really hurt, but it was all me as I hit not one but two very poor wedge shots.  Heading into 16 the last par 5 of the day, I hit a good tee shot.  Still just over 200 yds out, I opted to play the 3w.  Finished just right of the green pin high and with a good pitch with the 58 I two putted for par.  Nice to recover after a bad hole.  17 was another dbl bogie after I skulled the 54 to the right of the green.  The final hole of the day was bogie to finish the back seven over at 43.  Takeaways from the day:  9 of 14 fairways hit,  9 GIR (a new personal best), total of 36 putts (could have easily been 30 or fewer with the number of near misses), the string of six straight pars (holes 5 thru 10) were a new personal best for a round total of 10 pars (also a new personal best).  My son, not to be outdone by the old man, shot an 81.   Good day of golf.   

,image.thumb.png.9025a5b29fa1e113d3112dfdd2e48158.png

Ping G400 SFT 10deg  R flex
Ping G410 3w R flex
Ping G400 3h and 4h R flex
Taylormade SLDR 5i thru PW graphite shaft R flex
Cleveland CBX wedges - 50, 54, 58 or 52, 58 (depending on my mood)
Odyssey Versa or White Steel #5
Srixon Q Star

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Played in a three club event, first time. Surprising how close to normal scores alot of folks had. Club choices all over the place, some used  putter, some not. Many hybrids. Course is ~3000 yds.  Alot of fun, shot a 41. Had one putt (I used a PW to putt) from the fringe get away from me, otherwise played a real clean round.  Was on the fringe alot, I guess that makes sense since had limited approach options, my 6 iron.  My third club was driver, which I caught alot of flack about, but it worked out.  Nothing like only having a few club shoices availalbe to focus the mind. As crazy as it sounds, I think it's my most mentally strong round I've ever had.  Would I do it just normally, with no $ on the line for practice? Maybe, we'll see.

Mike

Driver: TM Sim2 9* Ventus Black, M5 9* Kuro Kage
Fwy: TM SLDR 3W, 5W;    Hybrid: TM M1 4 Hybrid
Irons: TM Tour Preferred MC 2014
Wedges: TM Tour Preferred, 52 @ 51*, 56
Putter: Ping Scottsdale TR Anser 2 or Odyssey Rossie

It isn't the hours that you put in at practice that count. It's the way you spend those minutes. -- tony lema

Played The Architects Golf Club today. It was very windy today and the course was soft. I shot 42/43 from the Gold tees for an 11.8 differential. Hit 7/13 fairways and 9 GIR.

Overall I hit the ball well. I lost 2 balls that weren't really bad misses but we just couldn't find the balls in the thick rough. Almost couldn't find my drive on #10 right in the middle of the fairway because it was embedded. Mis-clubbed a few approach shots due to the wind.

• Thumbs Up 4

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

We had our "Tournament of Champions" yesterday.  Shotgun start on #15. After the 5th hole, the first nine, I was +9 and going nowhere. I definitely had my "C" game and the thought popped into my head that I might end up 90+. Then I decided that possibly the rest of the limited field (40 players) might also be struggling with the soft course and tricky hole locations.  Time for a re-set.

Played the next nine holes in even par to end at 81, not an impressive score but a nice comeback.  Turned out only two players broke 80 (and we had some good players in the field). At the end of the day my net "75" got me 3rd place money. A nice punctuation mark for the end of my tournament season.

Edited by bkuehn1952
  • Thumbs Up 3

Brian Kuehn

Played Musgrove Mill in Clinton, SC -72.3/155 and around 6400 yards.  A 2nd shot course with few bailouts for incorrect approaches.  Hit 2 of the first three GIR, and the lone miss was by 1”, and was -1.  Middle of the fairway on the 4th hole and airmailed the green and had to drop, my lone penalty of the day.  Continued to drive the ball well but posted 41-48, with 12 Fairways, 4 GIR, 2 birdies and one penalty shot with 33 putts.Frustrating day as new rangefinder stopped working on 4, and never hit good approach shots the entire round.  Birdies were from great drives and approaches.  Just not enough good approaches today!

39 (front), 39 (back) for a 78. Rating: 71.4, Slope 124

It could have been better if my wedge game was on, and I didn't shank two PW on two of the par 3's. Overall, MUCH better with what I want to do. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Played Heather Hill in MA today and it is legit the worst course I've ever played. Conditions were atrocious, playing preferred lies and if you were lucky enough to hold the fairway which entirely consisted of hard packed dirt you may have to move 10-20 yards to find a piece of grass to hit off of.

If you hit a great shot you were very likely to run into the woods due to the fairways being essentially concrete. Tee boxes hadn't been cut in at least a week and you couldn't find a level spot to stand on on atleast 75% of them. I wound up playing bump and runs in nearly every situation because you couldn't predict what a good ball would do.

101 today, I sucked but the course was wretched.

Quail Brook, 46/44 for 15.4 differential. I'm a 15 CH there so I guess I played slightly better than average. Hit 4/14 fairways and 8 GIR. Started the round with four straight GIR and three-putted three times. Early morning greens were covered in dew and I just couldn't get the speed right. They dried out as the round went on and I ended up putting better.

I bladed two greenside bunker shots and made an adjustment which seemed to have helped because I ended up in bunkers on #17 and #18. Hit those fine, even made the 8' putt on #18 to save par.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

86 today, 8 GIR and 5 nGIR, 3 penalty strokes, 34 putts.

Probably should have scored a little better with 8 GIR, but one self inflicted blow up hole (+4), one bad luck hole (+3) really cost me, and so it goes. Also had a few terrible bounces off trees that knocked down approach shots that were looking good off the club...of course the trees were in the way because of where my tee ball landed.

Lost strokes everywhere except putting. Not sure why I keep track of putts. I think it is a holdover from pre-shot tracking device, when I would routinely have 40+ putts a round, and would ping-pong the ball back and forth past the hole from 3 feet. Should probably stop noting this.

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

Had a round where initially everything was just a bit off.  First nine 41 featured several GIR's with 3-putts. My iron play was was off so while I hit the green, I was a loooooong way from the hole and lag putted poorly. Second nine 37 saw me get a bit more accurate on my approaches and a bit better with my lag putting.  78 on a par 71 rated 68.4/116.  Not a particularly quality round of golf but considering my overall play, the final score was a lot better than I deserved.

• Thumbs Up 1

Brian Kuehn

Cheeky  9 today due to an extra public holiday because some funeral or other was taking place. 
43 round the par 34 front. Traditional 3 putt bogey on the first and a slightly less traditional 3 putt bogey on the 9th plus a poor tee shot on 6 and a poor 2nd on the par 5 8th after a big drive cost me a very good score. Hey ho. 
5 GIR. Take the positives. 

Not today but last Thursday. 94. 

I was horrible on Par 3s. I had a triple, double, a par and a bogey. 

I was better than usual on Par 4s, although I did manage a triple (how to turn a good tee shot into a steaming pile), a double, two pars, and the rest were bogeys.

No worse than usual on the Par 5s. I had one of my worst tee shots on the 10th. It nearly went OB and was 1' away from the fence. I don't know why I did a LH hockey shot with my 8i but it turned out to be the right move and I popped it back to the center of the fairway. Next shot was within striking distance (short par 5). I went for it, but blocked the shot into a group of trees next to the right bunker. I found my ball nestled right up against the tree trunk in the weeds. I could have taken an unplayable like, but my drop would still have been in those weeds and I'd have to pitch over that bunker. I chose to just chip the shot into the bunker because my bunker play had been good so far. I got out of the bunker in 1 and landed that shot 6' from the hole, one putted and saved bogey.

The bright side of the round was the fact that I hit 64% of fairways. 55% with my driver. But this round just goes to show that FIRs don't mean anything if you mess up the next shot. Given the placement of my tee shots. I'm pretty certain that a better player would have scored in the upper 70s. ShotScope told me my play inside 125 yds did me in. Pretty much hitting full shots with 9i and PW, and pitching was not good. So I worked on polishing up those things Saturday at the driving range. 

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

After a couple of months played a round on Sunday.  Had to borrow my friends clubs and it went reasonably well considering.

Started off well but the back 9 wasn't great.

Par, bogey x2, par, bogey, par, bogey x4, par, bogey, double (great tee shot but just slightly pulled for OB), par, bogey x2, double (no need with one or two silly shots), bogey.

Finished 15 over and should have been around 10 to 12

What's in the bag

• Taylor Made r5 dual Draw 9.5* (stiff)
  • Cobra Baffler 4H (stiff)
  • Taylor Made RAC OS 6-9,P,S (regular)
  • Golden Bear LD5.0 60* (regular)
  • Aidia Z-009 Putter
  • Inesis Soft 500 golf ball

88 again today at Minnesott with my son (he shot 85).  Had five pars, one birdie, six bogies, three dbls and a triple for good measure.  High point of the round was 7, a shorter par 4 - great tee shot that called for an easy 9i in.  Hit it thin and it lands with a serious roll happening up onto the green and I see roll off and I am thinking down the backside for an up and down to save par.  It was not as bad as I thought and a quick chip with the 9i to get it close.  Hit the chip and it rolls pretty hot to the pin, hits dead center and drops for birdie.  The next hole, eight, make it GIR and three putt for bogie!  Was that kind of day with the putter as that was one of a number of lip outs where I was about a 1/2 a ball off on the read.  Finished w/36 putts, 4 GIR, 6 nGIR and only 5 fairways hit.  Great weather, great time with my son on a course in great shape.  

Ping G400 SFT 10deg  R flex
Ping G410 3w R flex
Ping G400 3h and 4h R flex
Taylormade SLDR 5i thru PW graphite shaft R flex
Cleveland CBX wedges - 50, 54, 58 or 52, 58 (depending on my mood)
Odyssey Versa or White Steel #5
Srixon Q Star

79 at Leslie Park (9.9 differential).  The round could have been great but my iron play got a bit wobbly on the back nine. Five consecutive holes I drove the ball long and straight (for me, that is).  Then I would fat or thin the approach.  Instead of putting for birdie I was scrambling for par. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Brian Kuehn

41 again on front 9. Same as my recent three club score, probably a lesson in there somewhere. Actually there is, I used 7 and 8 iron for around the green chipping and was way too strong (i.e. rolled it past the hole back into the fringe/rough. 5 pars. one double also when try to lob wedge from deep rough up and over the trap to the pin.  No money riding on the game, in fact no nothing riding on it. Tremdously hard for me to stay focused on making the best shots when there is literally no downside (other than posing here.)

Driving the ball good, and putting too, I guess. SG only for the 9 holes, so one errant shot has large impact.  Spent an hour today on soft hads drill and finessing soft chips.

Screenshot_20220920-114611_Golfmetrics.jpg

Mike

Driver: TM Sim2 9* Ventus Black, M5 9* Kuro Kage
Fwy: TM SLDR 3W, 5W;    Hybrid: TM M1 4 Hybrid
Irons: TM Tour Preferred MC 2014
Wedges: TM Tour Preferred, 52 @ 51*, 56
Putter: Ping Scottsdale TR Anser 2 or Odyssey Rossie

It isn't the hours that you put in at practice that count. It's the way you spend those minutes. -- tony lema

Well I haven’t played much. Car problems. Problems with the wife. Job change. It’s been since early July. Hadn’t been playing well and I took time away. Went to the course yesterday and hit the range and swing actually felt went out and hit the green on 1-2 and actually nearly made birdies. Chipped in at 7 for birdie. Shot one over on the front. Made another birdie at 14 and ended up 2 over on the back. Drove the ball as well as I have in 2 years hitting 10 fairways. Got up and down a few times after hitting 9 greens. Somehow had feel for the greens with only 30 putts. Can’t remember the last time I shot a 73. Guess time away was all I needed! Have an outing Sunday. Let’s see how it goes when I add a few beers to the mix!

Ping G400 9 degree driver, 3 Wood and 3 Hybrid, Ping 2016 G 4-UW,  Ping Glide Forged Pro 52 degree, Ping Glide 2.0 WS 56 degree, Ping Craz-E Putter, Titleist Tour Soft balls