IGNORED

What'd You Shoot Today?

iacas

Played Blackhead Mountain.  Started with 4 pars in a row, and finished with a birdie, but there was plenty of adventure sandwiched between, final tally of 89. Mountain courses are hard if you're not straight and small sloped greens with steep drop-offs add to the fun.  All in all worth the trip, beautiful views of Catskill high peaks and fall colors. Friendly crowd up there.

20221006_141634.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Mike

Driver: TM Sim2 9* Ventus Black, M5 9* Kuro Kage
Fwy: TM SLDR 3W, 5W;    Hybrid: TM M1 4 Hybrid
Irons: TM Tour Preferred MC 2014
Wedges: TM Tour Preferred, 52 @ 51*, 56
Putter: Ping Scottsdale TR Anser 2 or Odyssey Rossie

It isn't the hours that you put in at practice that count. It's the way you spend those minutes. -- tony lema

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Played the Oak tees at Musgrove Mill in Clinton, SC. 72.3/155 slope.  A second shot course with tricky greens.  It was a tale of extremes - 4 birdies and 3 pars! 8 fairways and 7 GIR.  Normally, a solid driver, I hit a bunch of double crosses and had 3 penalty shots.  47-40.  I hit 6 approach shots fat.  Not real sure what happened.

Birdied 3 of the last 4 holes and I think the last two holes are quite difficult. On my birdies, approach shots were all to 3’ on a breezy day. Handicap increased from 7.5 to 7.9!

Played Dinsmore Golf course today, 8am, still cold out. Highly recommended if you're not too particular, the greens are truly excellent, and the course is well maintained.  Shot 39 on front, 35 on back (74!) with 3 birdies.  Used 3W off the tee to give myself some forced practice and some different looks. I don't hit my 3W too often, and the other day at another course I needed it alot due to shorter doglegs, etc.  So my plan going in to the round today was to use 3W regardless. Of course I yanked my first shot into the tlal grass, go figure.  But it worked out.

I walked, it's not a mountain course per se, but quite a bit of down and back up with my trusty pushcart.

Dinsmore.jpg

Mike

It isn't the hours that you put in at practice that count. It's the way you spend those minutes. -- tony lema

I played 9 with @mcanadiensand @Jeremie Boop in the frigid air. It wasn’t too bad until the last few holes actually where I could have used some earmuffs.

I shot 47 with a triple and a few doubles. I’ll take it. I was in so much pain, I hardly made it back to the car. I should have rode I guess. 

- Shane

I hadn't been able to practice or play much the past two weeks. Biggest problem was one that took me 16 holes to identify (chopping with wedges around the green instead of swinging through). But that's the way it goes. It's always something. 

That and sloping lies. No matter what, I just can't seem to get this down because I can't practice it at the range. I even have notes on my phone that I take with with regarding what to do on each type of sloping lie, but I just can't execute those shots to save my life. 

Oh well. It was nice to get out and I saw a coyote that was the size of a small wolf near the tee box at hole 8. Near that green I spotted some chunky wild rabbits and my guess is that those rabbits won't be there tomorrow. 

They call it golf because the other four-letter words were taken. – Ray Floyd

14 hours ago, CarlSpackler said:

I played 9 with @mcanadiensand @Jeremie Boop in the frigid air. It wasn’t too bad until the last few holes actually where I could have used some earmuffs.

I shot 47 with a triple and a few doubles. I’ll take it. I was in so much pain, I hardly made it back to the car. I should have rode I guess. 

Tail of 2 rounds for me for the day. Best ever 9 holes when playing with you, +3 39 2 birds to offset the 1 double. Second nine, 3 putted 4 times, had 2 bad breaks, 1 really bad decision, 2 really bad shots came out to +14 50.  I don't know what it was that killed my putting, but the bad decision that I made I knew was bad as I was making it but couldn't seem to stop myself. Easily have of those extra strokes could have been gone had I just maintained some reasonable putting and not made that dumb mistake.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

Shot 45/47 today at Neshanic (Meadow/Lake) for a 17.8 differential. Conditions weren't great. Had a 40 minute frost delay to start the day, then the wind picked up around the 6th hole. I hit a PW shot longer than a 2H shot and both were well struck. Course was soft after the frost thawed and I had a few tee shots that ended up back of their pitch mark.

Hit 4/14 fairways and 8 GIR. Putted like complete garbage. Three-putted half of those GIR.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Shot 85 (44 / 41) at RiverBend (par 71) this afternoon with my son and grandson.  Played from the gold tees (66 / 112) total yardage of around 5350.  Decided to do a six club Sunday bag (driver, 3i, 6i, 9i, SW, putter).  The driver is an old Top Flite Tour “something” (a gimme), the 3i and 9i are part of the $15 Sunday bag from the local Hospice resale store, the Strata 6i is part of a Goodwill find (got it for about $3), the putter is an old Spalding bullet style also a gimme.  The SW is the most expensive as it is an Eye 2+ that I maybe have $50 making for a very relaxed and stress free round with cheap clubs.  Hit 10 of 14 fairways, 6 of 18 GIR, 5nGIR, 37 putts.  My son did not fare as well as he had some rough spots and finished with a 93. 

Ping G400 SFT 10deg  R flex
Ping G410 3w R flex
Ping G400 3h and 4h R flex
Taylormade SLDR 5i thru PW graphite shaft R flex
Cleveland CBX wedges - 50, 54, 58 or 52, 58 (depending on my mood)
Odyssey Versa or White Steel #5
Srixon Q Star

Had a great day. Scored 36/39 at James Baird golf course. White tees, ~6300 yds. Despite good score for me, I did some mentally dumb things, like trying to hit the hardest green from 220 yds which is just never going to happen, so still room for improvement. Nevertheless had my first ace (hole-in-one) so that was fun. Pin hidden behind a bunker, couldn't find ball, found it in the hole. FWIW, my target was center of greem from 175 yards, but we'll take it, right.

Played with folks I didn't know, and one of the guys hit his drives farther than anyone I've ever seen. Was 50 yards past mine on some holes. I literally hve never seen such a thing, wouldn't have thought possible.

Mike

Played my "home" course today, Leslie Park. 81 for a 9.6 differential (Par 72, 6,220 yards). I started slow and as 5 over after 4 holes. Settled down and played decently the balance of the round. The course had extremely firm fairways and greens as it has been dry here.  Great for driving distance down wind but stopping the ball on the greens was a real challenge. No joy in the "Birdie Challenge" as my birdie on #17 was a duplicate.

• Like 1

Brian Kuehn

In the first tee box, long par 5 to start... out of bounds on the right with a giant chain link fence.  I slice my driver... off the fence pole <<<bing!>>> ricochets back onto the fairway for 20 extra yards.  The entire round felt like a bit of a struggle but, after I added* my scorecard, it was my 2nd best ever!

10.11.2022.jpg

"When it's your day, it's you day." --Rick Shiels

[*I always add my scorecard AFTER my round because I don't want to get tied up in "score."  I simply take the "best shot" for me on EVERY shot regardless. B-) ]

Edited by HankBlue
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Upvote 1

:tmade: Stealth HD Driver :tmade: M4 3w :tmade: Stealth+ Rescue Hybrid 2

:tmade: P790 2i UDI :tmade: P790 3i-PW :tmade: MG3 52° AW ...56° CUTTER Wedge

...and a lefty L.A.B. B2 putter. :-)

Back to Blackhead Mountain. High 80's. Narrow course, right to left sloping fairways with big trouble both sides. Small, fast, sloping greens, etc.  For me lots of trouble to be had.  I know I'm giving up strokes, and can't use driver on most holes. I'm not yet sure how to approach  a course like this. 5-iron point-to-point to keep it in play? I'm really not sure.  Have to ponder this.  Regardless, I'm going back and figure out how to master that sort of course.

Beautiful autumn day in the Catskills.

• Like 1

Mike

Played only 15 holes yesterday.  Very hot and humid and my playing partner decided there was no point slogging through the last few holes.  Decent enough round though.

Bogey x 3, par x 3, bogey x 4, birdie, bogey x 3, par

What's in the bag

• Taylor Made r5 dual Draw 9.5* (stiff)
  • Cobra Baffler 4H (stiff)
  • Taylor Made RAC OS 6-9,P,S (regular)
  • Golden Bear LD5.0 60* (regular)
  • Aidia Z-009 Putter
  • Inesis Soft 500 golf ball

Black Mountain sounds like an awesome golf experience. :-)

:tmade: Stealth HD Driver :tmade: M4 3w :tmade: Stealth+ Rescue Hybrid 2

:tmade: P790 2i UDI :tmade: P790 3i-PW :tmade: MG3 52° AW ...56° CUTTER Wedge

...and a lefty L.A.B. B2 putter. :-)

83 today at Minnesott (from the gold tees (66.1/112, just over 5,400 yds - not a long course by any means).  Shot 41 on the front and 42 on the back.  My son (who shot 86) were the only ones on the course - the morning rain kept the regulars at home.  We opted to ride as it was still misting/drizzling.  The pro shop guy said to "use our head" when it came to driving on the course - this course is one of best draining courses I've ever played.  Started off bogie, bogie, birdie, par to be plus one through four. Was feeling it today as it looked all the gears were turning.  Next four holes were all bogies so now I was plus five into nine.  Nine's tee (par three) was left of the green, but a PW up and down for par had me leaving the front nine at plus 5 or 41.  One of the more consistent nines of late.  Back nine started off bogie, bogie, par, bogie, par to be plus three through 14 on the back.  Fifteen, a nemesis hole for me, I managed to keep it at bogie, now I'm plus four on the back.  Pars one sixteen and seventeen and I am going into 18 with a good shot at being less than ten over (a personal best) as I am sitting at nine over for the round.  Tee shot winds up right of the fairway bunker between the it and the cart path.  Ball below the feet and I get it heavy leaving it short.  Third shot (its a par four) I use the LW to pitch it up, too clean it bounces on and off the back.  Second wedge shot gets me back on the green but I am on the high side with a 15' putt for bogie.  Putt it close and tap in for a double (the only one of the day!) coming in at 11 over at 83.  Stats for the round - 4 of 14 fairways (the rest were just off the short stuff (nice and fluffed most of the time - almost like re-teeing); 6 of 18 GiR (love having two opportunities for par); 4 nGiR (one was a one putt for par - good up and down); 34 putts (this could have been easily less than 30 as I had a number that barely skirted the hole (reads getting better)).   I credit the overall consistency to the setup drills I have been working on of late (5 Minutes Daily Practice WORKS!).  

image.thumb.png.33933f7c4202dd7c4519835b8a107a2d.png

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Ping G410 3w R flex
Srixon Q Star

98 at Oak Valley in Beaumont. 

I left the driver and 3 wood at home just to see what would happen. The longest club I hit off the tee was my 5 wood. I didn't lose a single ball until the 17th hole, when I lost two and then lost another on 18 for a combined +9 on those two holes alone (Ouch!). 

I'm still figuring out my wedge distances. They're way off from what they are at the range; anywhere from 10-15 yards longer on the course than at the range. 

Overall though, I'm encouraged. I'll keep working on my driver but playing with my 5W. Hitting nearly every second shot from a nice playable lie was a good experience and helped expose just how off the other parts of my game are. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

They call it golf because the other four-letter words were taken. – Ray Floyd

18 hours ago, Opoponax said:

I'm still figuring out my wedge distances. They're way off from what they are at the range; anywhere from 10-15 yards longer on the course than at the range. 

Blame the discrepancy on the limited distance of range balls.  The courses around here have everything from brand new range balls to range balls that hit like rocks to mixed bags of regular and range. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Ping G410 3w R flex
Srixon Q Star