IGNORED

What'd You Shoot Today?

iacas

Shot an 88 in my last round of 2022 at an away course. I wasn't officially keeping score because it was a slow (5 hr 40 min), midday round with an old friend and multiple beers, but Shotscope is pretty reliable so it could be +/- 2 strokes in either direction. Tee shots and approach shots were pretty good all round, but short game was horrendous (-6.5 strokes gained), which I think is why I scored poorly even though it was a penalty free round. The course was soaked and many of the lies for the short game shots were awkward/sloppy, so I have a bit of a built in excuse, but I've also not been doing any short game practice lately, so I also think I need to dedicate more time to this.

Shot an 86 in the first round of 2023 on New Year's Day at my home course. I felt like I managed my way around the course well while not hitting the ball very well at all. Three penalty strokes (+1 red staked area on front, +2 OB on back) were costly, as well as double bogeys on 2 par-5 holes. The course is very hilly, so record rainfall the day before left some super wet and muddy low points, but conditions were surprisingly good otherwise. In this round I gained strokes in short game, but it didn't feel like it, so this area needs work (along with full swing). 

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Played the front 9 at Minnesott today from the whites.  Opted to walk it as the weather was good - temps in the 50’s.  Shot 46 (10 over).  Was using some of the older clubs and distances were off, making for longer approach shots. I was doing a lot of up and downs to save par, which I only succeeded once (the first hole).  The goal was to not 3 putt, which I didn’t!  Hit 6 of 9 fairways, so driving accuracy was good.  Had no GIR but did have 4 nGIR, just under guessed the club. Felt great to comfortably walk 9.  Plan is to build stamina (esp in the left foot) regularly walk 18 by early summer.  

Ping G400 SFT 10deg  R flex
Ping G410 3w R flex
Ping G400 3h and 4h R flex
Taylormade SLDR 5i thru PW graphite shaft R flex
Cleveland CBX wedges - 50, 54, 58 or 52, 58 (depending on my mood)
Odyssey Versa or White Steel #5
Srixon Q Star

Got my first round of the year in yesterday (Fri) and carded a 77, which is considerably better than I've been scoring the last 2 months!  

• Thumbs Up 2

1 minute ago, Never3putt said:

Got my first round of the year in yesterday (Fri) and carded a 77, which is considerably better than I've been scoring the last 2 months!  

That sounds great, how did the back nine go? 

• Funny 1

Walked the front 9 at Minnesott today.  A little better scoring wise as I shot 43.  Played from the whites, which tends to put me shorter on approaches and scrambling for up and down for par.  Next round will be moving back to the golds.  Drives were decent in terms of accuracy (5 of 7).  Felt good about approach shots, just kept underclubbing myself.  One the greens, putting was good - 16 total strokes and no 3 putts!  That last one I really felt good about.  Overall, the work on pre-shot setup is leading to more consistent ball striking - i.e. far fewer thinned or chunked shots.  

Ping G410 3w R flex
Srixon Q Star

Awesome round last weekend. Swing changes are finally showing results on the course! This was with two dumb 3-putts too! Though with one chip in. Still, "should have" been a 76 :-)My one birdie was a 6i on a par 3 to 8 feet. But I had four other birdie putts between 14 and 22 feet with a few burned edges. I'm super pumped about next season!

IMG_7548.PNG

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland Tour Action 60˚
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Nike Vapor Pro Combo, 4i-GW
Titleist 585h 19˚
Tour Edge Exotics XCG 15˚ 3 Wood
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

I Played the Creek course at Carolina Trace Country Club today and shot an 88 from the 6,300-yard tees.  I finished with 4/14 fairways with 5 greens in regulations with 33 putts.  I have really been struggling off the tee.  So bad where I don't even have a shot to go for the green when I do miss.  Hope to get it fixed soon so I can back to playing better!

Played 18 with my son at Minnesott today.  Shot 89 (44 front, 45 back).  Takeaways from the round - hit 8 of 14 fairways, even the misses were at most a yard or two off the short stuff.  Had 4 GIR and 8 nGIR, which I felt really good about except with the GIR I made 3 pars and 1 bogie.  On the nGIR, had 3 up and downs for par.  Putting got messy at times with 5 3-putts for a total of 37 putts.  While not a great round scoring wise, a great round in terms of seeing fruit from the daily drills on proper grip, consistent pre-shot setup/routine and short game work (chipping, pitches). 

Ping G410 3w R flex
Srixon Q Star

Back in NY, played one of the courses that basically stays open (for free) all year if possible. Ground frozen when we started, gradually thawed and got really wet as the day wore on. I wore my Merrell hikers which aren't really waterproof anymore and got a bit of seepage, but wool socks and keep moving to stay warm. Ponds frozen. Shot mid-80s missed a couple 6 foot birdies, chunked a couple fairway shots, 3 putted a couple, oh well. Had some good shots too. I carried a subset of clubs. With the soggy ground and hilly course I think carrying was better. I got a good workout and stayed warm enough.  That's really 95% of the reason I play in winter, especially in the wind and cold, for the workout. Beats a treadmill in the gym for sure.

• Thumbs Up 1

Mike

Driver: TM Sim2 9* Ventus Black, M5 9* Kuro Kage
Fwy: TM SLDR 3W, 5W;    Hybrid: TM M1 4 Hybrid
Irons: TM Tour Preferred MC 2014
Wedges: TM Tour Preferred, 52 @ 51*, 56
Putter: Ping Scottsdale TR Anser 2 or Odyssey Rossie

It isn't the hours that you put in at practice that count. It's the way you spend those minutes. -- tony lema

Pretty decent round today.  Bogey x 2, Par x 2, Bogey, Par x 2, Bogey x 3, Par, Bogey, Birdie, Bogey, Par x 4.

What's in the bag

• Taylor Made r5 dual Draw 9.5* (stiff)
  • Cobra Baffler 4H (stiff)
  • Taylor Made RAC OS 6-9,P,S (regular)
  • Golden Bear LD5.0 60* (regular)
  • Aidia Z-009 Putter
  • Inesis Soft 500 golf ball

78 (yesterday)

Up to now, we have had a relatively mild, snowless January. I have played 4 times. There are two decent courses that stay open, weather permitting. A couple of the rounds have been like walking through a marsh. I discovered my waterproof Footjoys are no longer waterproof so they will be going back to Footjoy under a waranty claim. I pulled out an old pair of Etonic "spikeless" shoes and they did the job yesterday as I walked along and made the "squish, squish" sound of a waterlogged course.

I tend to roll up my pants to keep the bottoms from becoming soaked on soggy days. They kept unrolling so I eventually stuffed them into the top of my socks. I am sure I looked quite fashionable in my juryrigged plus fours. Sorry guys, no photos. 😉

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

Brian Kuehn

Shot a 77 on 1/8/23, 6 GIR / 9 n-GIR, no penalty strokes. Pretty good all around performance.

image.png.5dec0d44aff4863ea4a4d905b2a1b027.png

Shot an 85 on  1/16/23, 3 GIR / 11 n-GIR, and 1 penalty stroke...however there were a few shots that ended up in places that were the equivalent of a penalty stroke. Felt like I played worse than the final score.

image.png.bb9e5bf3d26ef1f655a0a1db20bf24b0.png

• Thumbs Up 2

-Peter

Shot an 83 on Sunday, 5 GIR / 9 n-GIR, 2 penalty strokes.

Had trouble getting into a groove for the round. Started off with a feel and thought that just wasn't working and I started chasing fixes. Eventually quit the original feel/thought and defaulted to my poof-fade feel and did okay.

Neat thing about Shotscope is it shows the strokes gained/lost on each hole. Had two holes that I made a complete mess out of (neither involved a penalty stroke). Outside of these two holes, I played pretty well.

First one was #10 (-2.09 strokes). Topped my drive short and into trees on the left. Punched out with 5-iron but hit a tree and landed further from the target (but at least out of the trees). No fairway wood or hybrid in the bag so decided to hit driver off the D from about 240 yards out, and it went poorly to say the least. Ended up with triple bogey.

Second one was #13, short par-5 (-1.86 strokes). Drove into an adjacent fairway, then chunked a positional shot leaving a longer shot than I wanted but in a pretty good spot. From about 100 yards in, took 3 more shots to get on the green, including a shank. Eventually holed out for double bogey.

image.png.12909d869b577c1362f49143d41d5c11.png

-Peter

Miserable round today.  I was striking the ball well but the short game (from 100 yards in) was a nightmare.  Wound up with 8 double bogeys, 7 bogeys and 3 pars.  However, I played less badly than almost everybody else so came runner up in our club tournament.  Course was playing difficult thanks to quite heavy rain two days back.

What's in the bag

• Aidia Z-009 Putter

In Florida on the way to a cruise. Played a 9 hole public course (Eco Golf Club - built around a waste water treatment plant) near the hotel.  With rented clubs and not knowing how the lay of the land felt I did okay with a 45 off a par of 32.  Greens were slow but had some sneaky undulations, the latter got me as I had a couple of three putts and one four.  Fairways were longish, bare in others.  Still to casually walk 9 was fun and relaxing and a good way to get in some golf before cruising the ocean.  

Edited by WillieT

Ping G410 3w R flex
Srixon Q Star

Played Wachesaw Plantation Club in the Pawley’s Island area of SC as a guest of a member. The Blue tees on this Fazio design are 6426 yards with 71.9/135 rating and slope.

For the first round of the year I played well, hitting 8 GIR and FW, posting a 41-43 84 starting on the back nine.

The good: Parred the par 3 17th, which I had not done previously on this reverse Redan green, hitting a 4-iron to 24’. Made 2 great up and downs to birdie and save par, at least great for me! Hit into one deep fairway bunker and hit a nice recovery shot.

The bad: Swing drills I have been working on often led to an open face and I faded the ball more than I liked. Two 3-putts.

The Ugly: on my favorite hole, I early extended and hit a long hook, for a double cross into the penalty area. Averaged 2.1 putts/GIR, which is something I want to improve this year.

Playing the same course today and hope to improve!

Edited by Clemsonfan
Letter suggestion for Fazio posted Fabio!

Really funny round today.  Brilliant front 9 and horrid back 9.

Par, bogey x 2, par x 2, bogey, par, birdie, bogey (3 over for the front 9).  Then came a break as one playing partner wanted to have breakfast.  The other two of us shared a sandwich and had some fluid.  After that I don't want to know what happened.

Triple bogey, bogey, double bogey, bogey x 2, par, bogey x 2, double bogey.  That led to 12 over for the back 9.

What's in the bag

• Aidia Z-009 Putter

Best COMP round for JAN23 started off pretty rough PAR -Bogey-Double Bogey-Bogey (thought here we go again rough golf on the COMP day!!) but got a really nice long putt for a PAR ...then another Double Bogey !!!! arrrgghhhhhh

but the switch was flipped .... and I started to play very solid golf ....three PARs Birdie and three PARs -Bogey 

to finish strong(very unlike my game !!) Birdie three PARs ... all up got a 77 +5 .... won the STB comp for the day !!

Was such a great feeling as my partner was a Local regional rep on a +4 .. which I bet of the stick over the back nine by one shot!!!

ONLY month earlier had a very confident round on my local pretty hard course ... three Bogeys to start but outside one more bogey straight PARS a record run for me of 12...

now the worse round last month ... had a couple but my last MEDAL comp first of the year was a shocker ... couldn't chip at all complete muppet play lost all tempo for much of the round ..driver seemed only club to be working well with some decent putts ... but the in-between shots easy gave away 8x shots from really poor form!!!! not what I want with matchplay club comp starting soon !! 

• Thumbs Up 1

Go Foxy Go