IGNORED

What'd You Shoot Today?

iacas

Played an OK round today.  Started on 10 and then went through to 1 when I played.  A couple of double bogeys and a birdie on the back 9 and only bogeys and pars on the front 9.

Bogey x 7, par x 2, bogey, double, par x 2, bogey x 3, birdie, double

7 over on both 9's.

Nice birdie.  Short par 5 around 500 yards.  Good driver and then 4 hybrid shots put me inside 20 yards or so to the green.  Not a great chip but a nice long putt.

What's in the bag

• Taylor Made r5 dual Draw 9.5* (stiff)
  • Cobra Baffler 4H (stiff)
  • Taylor Made RAC OS 6-9,P,S (regular)
  • Golden Bear LD5.0 60* (regular)
  • Aidia Z-009 Putter
  • Inesis Soft 500 golf ball

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Finally broke 80 on my home course (par 71) on Saturday last for the first time in a most unlikely way. Shot +9 on the front nine and then -1 on the back nine for a 79. Delighted 

B85F2593-0FC8-4F7A-ADDA-D520A95FDD1D.png

• Thumbs Up 3

Having injured a hip flexor 2 weeks ago (while warming up 🤦‍♂️), I got out on Sunday to play my 2nd 18 of the year. 

Drove the ball really well and hit 11 fairways, but was unable to convert that into anything like a score. Only hit 4 GIR and 3 putted one of those. Didn't make any up and downs, had too many poor contacts with the irons and wedges, chipped twice on multiple occasions and had 4 x 3 putts.

All in all, an ugly 101 during what was close to a 5 hour round due to a big club competition out in front. 

On the upside, I know where my practice needs to be focused this week, it was warm enough to play in short sleeves, I got better as the round went on, and it was great to be out playing and pain free.  

• Thumbs Up 1

Never posted a bogey round before (+18) or better. Come close a few times and my game performance has been heading in the right direction, making the goal achievable this year for certain. But after recording an eight(!!) on the opening par-4 today I wouldn’t have put much money on it happening today….

Played the rest of the round at +14 gross to record a new PB round.

Still made mistakes. Still hit some bad shots, primarily approach play. But also hit some great shots, especially off the tee (which has long been a weakness) and my short game and putting went well (just one 3-putt). 

It’s given me a big boost. The practice I’m doing is working. I just need to keep going!

• Thumbs Up 3

• 2 weeks later...

Walked 9. 45. 67% FW. 33% GIR. 3 pars.

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

A practice type round for me today.  Was supposed to have two more friends but both dropped out at the last minute yesterday.  So decided to play irrespective and to pull my own trolley .  We have 14 holes which are level and 4 which involve quite a steep slope.  Skipped the 4 holes and played 14 holes (10-18, then 1,2,7,8 and 9).  Played a decent round.  Starting from 10 my score was:

Bogey x 3, par, bogey x 2, par, bogey x 2, par x 4, bogey.

Back 9 was 7 over and front 9 5 holes was 1 over.  Total 8 over for 14 holes.

What's in the bag

• Aidia Z-009 Putter

Qualifying round to make the field for Super Senior match play (65 and older). Great start with a birdie on one but I was almost derailed by a TEN on the par 5 third. I stuck with it and parred seven of the next eight holes. 
I don’t remember the last time I made a ten, but it was medal play so I had to finish out the hole. 
43-40-83 and qualified easily.

Bill M

Slow improvement after the hip surgery on a cold and gusty day. After 3 101s in a row where my short game was abysmal but I was driving really well and hitting 10-11 FW, I finally started to find some touch around the greens. So naturally, driver misbehaved and I hit a couple of tee shots OB.

Shot 95, didn't mishit a chip and 31 putts total with only one 3 putt this time from about 40' . 4 FW and 2 GIR hit really didn't help though. My body is starting to come to terms with the vastly improved rotation and the fact that I don't need to protect the hip, so I feel like my goal of getting down to 14 HI this year is achievable. It's currently sitting at 19.8, whereas it was down to 16.5 before the pain really started to bite.

If  everything comes together on the day, I feel like I'm capable of breaking 80.

Been a while since I've posted as most scores have been "meh" at best.  This morning I played the front nine at Minnesott after dropping some summer camp paperwork for my grandson.  I've been working on swing tempo in the daily drills so I wanted to put the drill work to the test today.  Also I have had trouble with the 3w and consistently hitting push-fades.  So I opted to leave the driver home along with the 3h to force more use of other clubs.  It was a good round of nine finishing with a 39 off a par of 36.  Started with 3w off the tee, hit the approach short (under-clubbed - another problem).  Hit the GW to about 6' from the hole.  One putt for par.  Hole 2 is a par 5, decent again off the tee w/3w.  2nd shot was with the 4h, left me about 90 yds out.  GW again putts me at the front of the green, long putt for birdie comes up short (greens recently punched and dressed - underestimated speed required).  Tap in for par - Even through two.  Three is a short par 4, 3w again with PW that I hit heavy.  Almost GIR but the front apron says 58* to pop the ball up and down. It's a back pin today so I have a long putt for par that's short, so 2 putt for bogie.  Hole four is the toughest hole on the front.  Stripe the 3w to about 120yds out.  That's a good 9i for me, catch it good to about a yard off the green.  Front pin today so I go for putter off the green and roll it in for a "no - putt" birdie!  Back to even and approach game is working.  Five is a par 3, right now with temporary tees (rebuilding the tee box).  So its a 100yd shot - use PW and land at the front of the green.  Misread the green on speed and direction as I putt off the green coming up way short.  Two putt bogie and off to six.  This is the second par 5, 3w and 5i leave me about 70 yds out.  Third shot is a GW that lands at the front of the green in the fringe (another nGIR).  I lose some speed in the longer stuff and come up short.  Two putts later and I am plus two with another bogie.  Seven is my nemesis par 4 with a ditch that crosses where my drives normally land.  Staying with the tempo drill takes my mind off the ditch and I nail a solid 3w to the other side.  7i into the wind and the ball lands in the fringe.  Putter off the green rolls the ball close with a tap in par.  Eight is a slight dogleg right which plays into a fade.  Overcook the drive and get a strong push-fade that dies when it hits the fairway turf.  Sitting about 160 and I go w/the 4h.  Laying just off the green (another nGIR) with a chance to birdie from the fringe.  Not to be and I have another tap in par.  Last hole is a 3 over water.  Go one club longer as there is a good head wind.  Ball lands at the front of the green and the pin is all the way in the back.  Two putt pars are nice from that distance.  Finished with a 39 - had 4 bogies, 4 pars and 1 birdie, 2 GIR and 5 nGIR, 14 putts and 5 of 7 fairways hit.  Was a good day - felt focused, stayed in tempo and clubbed up.  Now I just need to put together a full round of 18 holes at this level.  

Ping G400 SFT 10deg  R flex
Ping G410 3w R flex
Ping G400 3h and 4h R flex
Taylormade SLDR 5i thru PW graphite shaft R flex
Cleveland CBX wedges - 50, 54, 58 or 52, 58 (depending on my mood)
Odyssey Versa or White Steel #5
Srixon Q Star

Not a score to brag about but I am thrilled.  Shot a 51 (9 Holes) today.  Only third time out this year and it could have been better.  I took a drop & a stroke and distance ignoring those two bad shots it could have made it a 48.

The bigger deal is this was first round with my ankle brace on and I now know I can golf with it.  Had a couple really good shots so maybe this year can get a little better.

Edited by StuM
  • Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

Stuart M.

I am a "SCRATCH GOLFER".  I hit ball, Ball hits Tree, I scratch my head. 😜

Driver: Ping G410 Plus 10.5* +1* / 3 Hybrid: Cleveland HIBORE XLS / 4,5 & 6 Hybrids: Mizuno JP FLI-HI / Irons/Wedges 7-8-9-P-G: Mizuno JPX800 HD / Sand Wedge: Mizuno JPX 800 / Lob Wedge: Cleveland CBX 60* / Putter: Odyssey White Hot OG 7S / Balls: Srixon Soft / Beer: Labatt Blue (or anything nice & cold) 

1 minute ago, StuM said:

Not a score to brag about but I am thrilled.  Shot a 51 (9 Holes) today.  Only third time out this year and it could have been better.  I took a drop & a stroke and distance ignoring those two bad shots it could have made it a 48.

The bigger deal is this was first round with my ankle brace on and I now know I can golf with it.  Had a couple really good shots so maybe this year can get a little better.

Huge!

Congrats!

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

• Administrator

Shot 74 at Woodmont CC (North). 12 GIR, 29 putts. Made a mess of a few holes, but otherwise drove it pretty well.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Been playing at least once a week for awhile now but haven't really been scoring. Mostly not great, one part of the game works but something else is off. I've usually been scoring around 46 on a par 34.

Today however was a round of good and bad, and when it went bad, it was really, really bad. I shot a 47 with 4 triples. However the day before I played terribly, probably was in the 50's and I also got my first birdie of the year. It kind of feels like I'm back on the upswing a little bit after a down period. I'm making some good shots, but making some terrible ones too. I should probably get a lesson, get some kinks worked out.

• D1-SIM MAX D 9° Diamana pd 50 reg lofted down 1 click 
  • D2-SIM MAX D 10.5° project x riptide cb 50 reg lofted up 2 clicks
  • 5w- Radspeed motore f3 
  • 3H- Tour Edge Exotics e722 kbs hybrid stiff
  • 4-5h tour edge exotics ex9
  • 6-AW- Cleveland launcher xl Nippon Zelos 7
  • 56°-Cleveland CBX Zipcore
  • P-Odyssey eleven tour lined slant neck

Steady improvement. Shot 94 yesterday. Missing one or two 2-3' putts per round, always pulled, which is getting frustrating now. It's not quite the yips, but I can easily see how it could happen.

Only made 4 pars from 3 GIR and 9 nGIR so the short game is still somewhat sub-optimal to say the least 🤣 

Good enough for a 0.4 cut. Only another 5.4 needed to get to the season goal and 2.9 to get back to where I was last summer. Staying optimistic.

Decent round.  Couple of bad holes but overall can't complain.  Only thing is this was with borrowed clubs as my set are at my parents since I am returning this weekend for a 36 hole tournament.

Par x 5, double x 2, bogey x 3, par, bogey, par, bogey x 3, par, bogey.

6 and 6 so total of 12 over.

What's in the bag

• Aidia Z-009 Putter

Broke a toe in mid April. Really put my 2023 behind. Been 4-5 weeks without playing and decided to give it a try. Was awful on the range. More shanks in a bucket than I’ve hit in 2 years. Had little confidence. Played 9 and it was rough. 10 over with 2 doubles. Made one par, at 6, the worst hole on the course for me and this is the day I par it. The day I shot my -2 a few years back I couldn’t make a damn 4 here, but I make a great up and down on it when I’m having one of the worst 9 hole scores I’ve ever had on this golf course. Golf can be cruel!

I guess it wasn’t all bad. It was more of one bad shot per hole, most my approach shots. Was pushing my mid-short irons. I pulled my gap wedge from inside of 100 and missed the green left 2x. Awkward lies in thick rough tho. I didn’t put myself into great scoring position at all. The rough around the greens was grown out some and had to just chop a few out and take my licks. 

Honestly, as bad as my range session was, coming off that layoff, it wasn’t nearly as bad as anticipated.

Edited by Dunit507
Grammar/miskey

Ping G400 9 degree driver, 3 Wood and 3 Hybrid, Ping 2016 G 4-UW,  Ping Glide Forged Pro 52 degree, Ping Glide 2.0 WS 56 degree, Ping Craz-E Putter, Titleist Tour Soft balls

Tuesday morning senior's league - shot a 35. I think that going to Little Mountain with the TST group upped my game. Kind of like endurance training ;-)

First time ever having 3 birdies in a competitive round (so that was a thing). 2 bogies (not a new thing). 

I am almost believing that I am finding my swing again after 10 years out of the game. 

5 Fairways

7 Greens in Regulation

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Titleist 910D2 10.5* Stiff / Taylormade 3 Wood - Superfast 2.0 15*  3 Superfast 2.0 Rescue 18* Stiff Shafts

Well, yesterday I shot 51 and as before a stroke & distance stopped me from breaking 50.  A tree also hurt but in reality it was the sliced drive that put me on the wrong side of the trees in the first place.  Overall was hitting much better, just a few errors added up.

for some reason I find myself taking my eye off the ball during the downswing and those are the worst shots,  when I keep my head relatively still and “watch the ball” I get much better contact.  Now the question, if I know that is a problem why do I keep doing it?

• Thumbs Up 1

Stuart M.

I am a "SCRATCH GOLFER".  I hit ball, Ball hits Tree, I scratch my head. 😜

Driver: Ping G410 Plus 10.5* +1* / 3 Hybrid: Cleveland HIBORE XLS / 4,5 & 6 Hybrids: Mizuno JP FLI-HI / Irons/Wedges 7-8-9-P-G: Mizuno JPX800 HD / Sand Wedge: Mizuno JPX 800 / Lob Wedge: Cleveland CBX 60* / Putter: Odyssey White Hot OG 7S / Balls: Srixon Soft / Beer: Labatt Blue (or anything nice & cold)