IGNORED

What'd You Shoot Today?

iacas

Had a terrible round the other day. Shot a 91 at a course that I play each week. This is following another terrible round (different course), which we weren't able to finish due to weather, but would have been upper 90's. This is after I've had several rounds in the low 80's and even broken 80 a couple of times.

This is what I love about golf, just when you think you've got it figured out, the game gives you a swift kick in the nuts. I don't know that I've ever played a sport that was so humbling.

In my bag:

Driver: r7 460 9.5° Stiff
3 Wood: r7 Draw
5 Wood: r7 Draw Irons 4-AW: r7 CGB Wedge: rac Satin 54° Wedge: rac Satin 60° Putter: Daytona Sport 1 34" Ball: DT solo or NXT

Shot the lowest round of my life today at my local Par 71 course during our monthly medal. The course rating is 73.3 with 132 slope rating off the blue tees and its 5799 metres long. Plenty of water, bunkers, OB's and wind for the fun fun fun factor.

Shot 39 in the front and 41 at the back. Was staying in the present on all 77 strokes until my chip onto the 18th when i thought to myself, "This to play a 79".

Uhuh, you guessed it, i chunked my chip onto the green and what was supposed to be a straightforward par became a bogey with 2 putts on the last. I play off a 14 handicap but my game has improved on a sharp gradient the last 2 weeks or so. Maybe i'm doing a Kenny Perry.
I reckon the reasons for the drastic improvements are:

1) Spending 80% of my practice time on my short game. I had 25 putts today with only 2 GIR's and 9/13 fairways.

2) Strong belief in myself and desire to improve my game. I feel mentally strong and confident than ever before. I don't know if its my new AP1 irons, my Burner woods or my new left hand low(Dave Pelz) and knees close together putting stance ala Arnold Palmer. Whatever it is, it's working.

3) Staying in the present. Before i hit a shot/chip/putt, all i care about is hitting a quality shot the way i want it to. And to do it every single time until i run out of holes to play.

I won the monthly medal playing against 50 other amateurs and took home a 21" TV. My wife's a happy bunny because now she can watch her favourite cooking show while my son watches Barney and Little Einstein with the new TV.

I may not break 80 today but i will one day. The search to be scratch continues ......

83 (+11) today at my home course. I played pretty well, except for my driver. I drove it into the rough behind trees today at least four times...so that's at very least four strokes lost because of it...can't put myself in those situations off the tee, damn.

Driver Ping G10 10.5*
Hybrids Ping G5 (3) 19* Bridgestone J36 (4) 22*
Irons Mizuno MP-57 5-PW
Wedges Srixon WG-504 52.08 Bridgestone WC Copper 56.13
Putter 33" Scotty Cameron Studio Select #2

I played well last night, shot 39 in my league. A very good round for me. Ball striking was not fantastic as I snapped a few hooks off the tee, but I was pretty handy around the greens. Got up and down a couple times for par, and on the holes where I knocked it around a bit and was looking at a big number I was able to save bogey by making some putts.

Got around in 14 putts, lowest putt total for me in my league all year.

I meant to go out yesterday, but a nagging back injury (minor) has been bothering me the past week or so. Although it was still hurting a little this morning, I went out and played 18 holes anyway. It was a good choice because I shot a 76. I went 38-38 which is nice and consistent.

The front side was a lot cleaner. I had seven pars and two bogeys. On the back nine, I had two birdies (including a chip-in at number 10) and four bogeys. I sunk a key 15-footer for par at the 17th, and that really propelled me to my birdie at the 18th.

I didn't hit my irons very well, but I drove the ball very well, and my chipping was as good as it ever has been. I only used 26 putts which is in part to the good chipping.

After 20 rounds this year, my handicap has gone from a 12ish down to 6.5. That's nice!

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I've been taking golf lessons...

Last night, I went golfing with my instructor on the par 3 course (the range has one - we started at the range). I shot a 33 (+6).

My putting was god awful. I had back to back 3 putt bogeys. Ouch.

I had no business shooting anything over a 30. But....stupid is, as stupid does sometime. De-accelerating when putting FTW! Cost me at least 2 strokes....and probably closer to double it.

I don't know why I do it; but everytime I get on a sloooooooow green, I do. On faster greens, this problem ceases to exist.

Concentration is key. My mind was wandering off.

G5 Driver (10.5*)
T40 Tour 3 Wood (15*)
G10 Hybrid (18*)
MX-200
588 Tour Action SW (56*) 2 Ball SRT

• Administrator
76 at Lake View . Super, super windy, so that's my excuse for driving the ball like I'm a drunk NYC cabbie.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Shot a 95 on the dryest course I've ever played. Course is called Trilogy at Vistancia, and its an amazing course when in condition. Should have figured since it was priced really low. I hit some really great shots. Drove a short par 4, ended up parring it due to the incredibly dry greens. Really hard to read.

Almost jarred a sandshot for a birdie on a par 4. It hit the pin and ended up an inch away. I hit all 3 of my sand shots today great.

Still can't hit my woods worth a damn. I might go golf tomorrow if I can find someone who wants to go

I love to hate this damn game.

36 (again) in my league last night. 9 straight pars, 5 of 7 fairways and 7 greens.

Callaway X-Hot Tour GD Tour AD DI-7 Sonartec SS-3.5 16* FTP-X Adams Idea Super S 19* Matrix Kujoh
Bridgestone J33B DG X100 Mizuno MP 53*6 Mizuno MP 56*10 WRX Sq. Gr. GTO Ported
Mizuno MP 60*6 WRX Sq. Gr. GTO Ported Odyssey White Hot Tour #5 Callaway Tourix

GHIN: 10436305

81 which should have been a 78 today in the first day of HS tryouts. Tripled 17 (a par 3!) which really killed my round.
WITB

Driver - Taylormade r7 Quad 10.5˚ Fujijura E360 Stiff
Woods - Sonartec SS 2.5 13˚ HST Penley Tour Stiff
Hybrid - Sonartec HB-001 19˚ HST Penley Tour StiffIrons - Mizuno MP-67 Forged 4-PW, DGS300Wedges - Callaway Forged 50˚ and 54˚, Walter Hagen 60˚Putter - Nike T130 O/S Mallet Ctr Shaft 33"B...

Shot 71 (-1) today . I played with a couple of buddies of mine who are pros and another buddy who is a scratch player. It was a lot of fun the scores were 66, 69, 71, 73. My buddy the scratch player was the high round at one over. Pretty tough group.

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

A one over 73 today. Three putted the last green for bogey. Damn it!

Sub 70 849 9* driver

:callaway:  Rogue 3 & 5 woods, Rogue X 4 & 5 hybrids

:tmade: SIM 2 6-gap irons

:cobra:  King snakebite grove wedges 52 & 58*

:ping: Heppler ZB3 putter

• Administrator
Two rounds today:

Round 1: 76 at Kennsington in the morning. Course was sloppy, and I hit some bad shots, and a few birdie putts lipped out, but oh well. I am improving and I hit the driver pretty well too. Still wish about two of the balls hadn't found water that I didn't know about. I hit to an area I thought was save and - plink - into the drink.

Round 2: 76 at Lake View . 41-35. Hit the ball equally as well on both sides, but on the back nine I didn't get any of the bad breaks I got on the front with my drives. So that's about it.

Played with Al (BigAl5150) who will, no doubt, post his own information later. But he's being lazy right now and doesn't want to get his computer, so probably tomorrow.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Practice round. Shot 82 this evening with 3 doubles. (actually one of those doubles is an X so 82 is my ESC score). Hit the ball pretty well; just a few bad breaks and mistakes. Highlight (or lowlight): number 11, long, straight par four. Tried to cut my drive and hit it straight into the woods. Next drive the cut actually cut. My approach was perfect, tapped in for bogey.

Had a terrible round the other day. Shot a 91 at a course that I play each week. This is following another terrible round (different course), which we weren't able to finish due to weather, but would have been upper 90's. This is after I've had several rounds in the low 80's and even broken 80 a couple of times.

A few weeks ago I returned from about 12 days of no golf. Doesn't sound like a big deal but it threw me off big time. I shot 93 and 97 on my home course. Today I shot a 75, the lowest of my life. My point is, golfing ability ebbs and flows whether you like it or not. (You probably know this but it's still worth saying.) The way to get better is just to tough it out during the hard times. You almost always come away from it a little better off. Even when I get worse, I have faith that my average score over time is getting lower and lower. Learning golf seems to be a matter of attrition.