IGNORED

What'd You Shoot Today?

iacas

Yay, good form returns with 90 at an unfamiliar course.

6 pars  including the #1 hole .

In particular the 5 iron deserves special credit for two excellent approach shots onto the greens.

If putting had been better coodabeen closer to 85.

So onwards  as we go.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Shot an 87 yesterday on a par-73.  4 doubles and a triple.  Other than those holes, I played ok.  My course management needs a lot of work.  I'm just not thinking my way around the golf course right now, and my misses (constantly short-siding myself, fairway bunkers, etc.) are turning par/bogey holes into double/triple holes.  For instance, hitting driver on a 325 yard hole and driving it into a grove of trees next to the green instead of just playing something to 250 in the middle of the fairway.  Took me three shots to chip my way out of the trees and on to the green.  Turned a good birdie opportunity into a 6.

I played a new course today with 3 friends. One the guys and I had to make a bet, our usual bet of a lunch, but we weren't sure how to even it out since he never plays golf. He said he never keeps score when he plays and normally "doubles par", so I figured he'd probably be a little better than that and assumed he'd hit 125-130. We agreed I'd spot him 30 strokes. Well, he started off playing really well. Certainly giving up strokes with the putter and around the green but he was hitting it off the tee pretty well, especially for someone who never plays. I started well with 3 bogeys in a row, and then the wheels fell off. I was double or triple the rest of the way and was really frustrated. After the front 9 he had a 62 and I had a 53. Pretty much felt like I wasn't going to be able to make up the strokes. The back 9 was a different story. He still played well, even getting a legitimate chance at eagle and settling for a birdie (he drove the 260 yard par 4, creek in front of the green). He fell apart half way through the back 9, hitting a 10 on a par 3. The same par 3 I birdied, actually. After 18, he had a 126 and I finished with a 95. I won by a stroke. :-) [URL=http://thesandtrap.com/image/id/252911/width/640/height/480][IMG]http://thesandtrap.com/image/id/252911/width/640/height/480[/IMG][/URL]

Driver: TaylorMade SuperFast 2.0 -- 10.5* Woods: TaylorMade SuperFast 2.0 -- 3w 15*, 5w 18* Hybrid: TaylorMade Burner SuperFast 2.0 Rescue -- 4h 21* Irons: TaylorMade Burner Plus -- 5-AW Wedges: TaylorMade RAC -- 56.12, 60.07 Putter: TaylorMade Spider Ghost -- 35" Ball: It's complicated.

44 (+10), started off real good, 2 over through 5, then went 8 over in the final 3 holes. It was just wierd. The triple was my own fault, i hit an iron into the trees on a short par 4, tried to punch out, ended up in a fairway bunker, chunked it short, and then it went down hill. The last hole was strange. Topped my drive, should have just layed up with an iron, i pull out a 3 wood, hit it into a hazard. then i hit my next shot 30 degrees right, it was wierd, not a shank just a very open club face. Then it went down hill from there.. But i drove the ball great, my iron play was so so, my chipping was pretty good. I just fell apart..

Par, Bogey, Par, Par, Par, Bogey, Triple, Par, +5

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

I shot a 44 today (+8).  That was my best score so far on 9...

Razr Fit Xtreme 9.5* Matrix Black Tie shaft, Diablo Octane 3 wood 15*, Razr X Hybrid 21*, Razr X 4-SW, Forged Dark Chrome 60* lob wedge, Hex Chrome & Hex Black ball

74 in a best-ball two-some.  Pretty good for a two-some comprised of a 14 capper and a 30 capper!

Bottom line: had fun!

82.  First round of the year.  I hit the ball well, and putted okay...but my chipping was horrendous.  I didn't leave myself very many make-able 1-putts.  At the very least, it felt good to knock the rust off.

I just shot the best 88 ever. Crisp irons, solid driving, and good short game and putting. The problem? I had enough bad breaks to last 3 rounds or more. 436 yd par 4, I crushed a drive down the left side and it took a big hop left into some deep kikuyu on a mound, and I could barely move the ball with an all out 9 iron...took me 3 to get it out. On a 225 yd par 3 I hit a beautiful 3 iron that landed just in front (I thought it was perfect) and proceeded to roll all the way off the back into the base of another kikuyu covered mound. Just those two breaks cost me an extra 5 strokes, and there were probably another 4 or 5 that I left on the course.

It was just one of those wierd days of bad bounces, wind gusts, and barely missing turning into bad situations. Don't really care though, cause I was striking it well. Oh well..

dak4n6

Shot a 37 (par 35) on the back nine last night in the rain: 1 double, 1 single, and 1 birdie.  Irons and putting were both very good.

In my  bag: 

Diablo Octane Tour 9.5, 18  -  6DT 19 (3I Hybrid) - 

Diablo Forged Irons 5-PW -  Tom Watson wedges 52,56,60 - 64 (generic) 

D.A.R.T. Belly Putter

B330-RX Balls

Same old. Nice drive off fairway goes a tad left and lands up against a tree. Lost shot. Then hit tree with recovery.

Excellent 4 iron into  a green bounces  into bunker where the sand is like concrete. lost shots.

inexplicable lost ball in long grass. you get the picture.

End up with 95 instead of 91. 11 pars and bogies with 7 doubles and triples.

Positives are just 30 putts and some nice iron play.

Handicap stays at 20.

But there's an 85 just around the corner.

One of my golfing buds joined Bella Collina and invited me out to play 18 of the 27 holes.  First time I played the course - tons of elevation changes as the layout is spread over multiple canyons.  We played the tournament tee's which may have been a smither too short... The par 3's were all shorties... But most of the other holes were either up hill (Par 5's were up mountains) or down hill with severely sloped fairways.  I've been hitting that RBZ 3W pretty damn well... It came in handy today!

Bella Collina 050912.png

Five birdies -- nice! And you drove the green on the first with a 3W? Respect.

I shot 77 today with 2 (yes, two) GIRs. I guess the one good thing about completely losing your swing is that your short game gets a serious workout. 25 putts.

Stretch.

"In the process of trial and error, our failed attempts are meant to destroy arrogance and provoke humility." -- Master Jin Kwon

Originally Posted by Stretch

Five birdies -- nice! And you drove the green on the first with a 3W? Respect.

I shot 77 today with 2 (yes, two) GIRs. I guess the one good thing about completely losing your swing is that your short game gets a serious workout. 25 putts.

Hahaha no - I didn't drive the first hole with a 3W.  The first tee shot on the Royal Lytham 9 is OB right - and hazard/desert brush on the left.  A straight tee shot is required, and it is severely downhill.  Hit a great 3W ~ 260 and had a little SW into the green.  Hit it ~ 6ft and made the putt.

I was hitting the ball well... Just a few lost shots... Particularly on #14 it was about 285yds with my GPS.... Hit a driver OB right (slight block).  Almost went back to the bag to grab a 3W... Decided against it, stuck with the Driver and hit it Pin High right edge, laying 3.  Then proceeded to hit a easy chip 25ft past the hole as I was trying to make it - and hit it thin, and then missed the comeback putt.  Double on the card - eewwwww.  Really would like to have that hole back!

Right now I feel like I have broken through a pretty big barrier (breaking 80 consistently) - and now just need to take it another step of knowing I am capable of shooting par (or lower).

I see why you think I drove the green on #1... That is a user error - I made birdie.  But had one putt. I'll fix that. :P

Originally Posted by Beachcomber

One of my golfing buds joined Bella Collina and invited me out to play 18 of the 27 holes.  First time I played the course - tons of elevation changes as the layout is spread over multiple canyons.  We played the tournament tee's which may have been a smither too short... The par 3's were all shorties... But most of the other holes were either up hill (Par 5's were up mountains) or down hill with severely sloped fairways.  I've been hitting that RBZ 3W pretty damn well... It came in handy today!

I tried to comment on this last night but I must have forgot to hit send, here goes again ... Bella Colina is right down the street from my office.  My wife has an ex co-worker who's a member out there and I had a chance to go out there (only once so far) with him.  They are very kid friendly and we brought our (almost) 3 year olds with us (my avatar is from that day) and had a blast.

We "played" the Carnoustie nine.  I found the "perched" greens really tough - especially as a first timer - and it was fun teeing off with a hybrid on a 600 yard par 5 to keep from running through the fairway.

I see that you used driver on the last hole.  For future reference and as a testament to the elevation changes, my friend tried a little trick;  After we both hit good tee shots with 3W, he pulled out a range ball and a 7 iron and that ball ended up in almost the exact same spot as his actual tee shot.  It was very 18th at Kapalua-esque.

I wanna get out there and actually play 18 (without the kids) but just haven't had a chance.