IGNORED

What'd You Shoot Today?

iacas

Originally Posted by Golfingdad

I tried to comment on this last night but I must have forgot to hit send, here goes again ... Bella Colina is right down the street from my office.  My wife has an ex co-worker who's a member out there and I had a chance to go out there (only once so far) with him.  They are very kid friendly and we brought our (almost) 3 year olds with us (my avatar is from that day) and had a blast.

We "played" the Carnoustie nine.  I found the "perched" greens really tough - especially as a first timer - and it was fun teeing off with a hybrid on a 600 yard par 5 to keep from running through the fairway.

I see that you used driver on the last hole.  For future reference and as a testament to the elevation changes, my friend tried a little trick;  After we both hit good tee shots with 3W, he pulled out a range ball and a 7 iron and that ball ended up in almost the exact same spot as his actual tee shot.  It was very 18th at Kapalua-esque.

I wanna get out there and actually play 18 (without the kids) but just haven't had a chance.

Bella Collina is a really nice club.  I'm considering joining too - but the biggest hangup I have is that it is a solid 30 to 35 minute drive from door to door from my place in Newport.  Most of it driving down the 405/5 - so it wouldn't be that bad as I could cruise.  But the ~ 60 mile round trip commute could add up.  Also, the range was a little goofy - but outside of that - they have a very solid practice area which I would use.  I also liked the fact that they have 27 holes, so you could mix and match what you play to rid the monotony of playing the same 18 hole club day after day.

Interesting point about 18 (9th on Carnoustie).  I hit a bad tee shot on 18... Blocked it out to the right and it held up in the rough just right of the cart path (bad luck - because I really thought with that severe of slope - it would roll down off that embankment).  Ended up having a terrible lie where my feet were well below the ball.  Still working on my Driver with the swing changes I've made.

Just curious - after your 7i rolled out - what kind of yardage did you have in on your approach?  Like 170 to 150??  Were you able to see the green due to the large dogleg left?  That would be my only concern - is not being able to see the green due to the trees blocking your approach shot.

Overall, had a great time playing Bella - and hope to get out there more often with my buddy.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Beachcomber

Bella Collina is a really nice club.  I'm considering joining too - but the biggest hangup I have is that it is a solid 30 to 35 minute drive from door to door from my place in Newport.  Most of it driving down the 405/5 - so it wouldn't be that bad as I could cruise.  But the ~ 60 mile round trip commute could add up.  Also, the range was a little goofy - but outside of that - they have a very solid practice area which I would use.  I also liked the fact that they have 27 holes, so you could mix and match what you play to rid the monotony of playing the same 18 hole club day after day.

Interesting point about 18 (9th on Carnoustie).  I hit a bad tee shot on 18... Blocked it out to the right and it held up in the rough just right of the cart path (bad luck - because I really thought with that severe of slope - it would roll down off that embankment).  Ended up having a terrible lie where my feet were well below the ball.  Still working on my Driver with the swing changes I've made.

Just curious - after your 7i rolled out - what kind of yardage did you have in on your approach?  Like 170 to 150??  Were you able to see the green due to the large dogleg left?  That would be my only concern - is not being able to see the green due to the trees blocking your approach shot.

Overall, had a great time playing Bella - and hope to get out there more often with my buddy.

I used to live in Newport (Newport Coast Dr/San Joaquin Hills Dr) and commuted to work on the 73.  Its probably still close to 25 or 30 min for you, but paying a few bucks is a nice trade off on those days when traffic is really bad.

I don't remember the exact yardage (I wanna say 140-150 but can't remember exactly) but yes the 7 iron did make it down clear of the dogleg.  I would be scared to try it for real, though, on the off chance that I'd hit the back side of a mound or a sand divot and it didn't roll out.

42 (+6)

Had three three putts, will be on the putting green later this week..

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

I went to Navy yesterday mostly because i wanted to play a substantially longer course to try out my new hybrid because Ive never used one before. I think its a club that I cant hit straigt but when i wanted to work it damn i could. I bent one perfectly around the trees 230 yards right into the middle of the fairway into the wind. shot an 89 starting off 5 5 5 5 5 5. luckily that was 2 par 5's and all par 4s. no par 3s :)

Bag: Ogio Ozone XX

Driver: :titleist: 910 D2 (Project X 7A3)

3 Wood: :titleist: 910F ;(Mitsubishi Rayon Diamana 'ahina 82)

Hybrid: :titleist: 909H 19* (Diamana Blue)

Irons: :titleist: 755 3-P (Tri Spec Stiff Flex Steel)

Wedges: :titleist: (Vokey 52* 56* 60*)

Putter: Ping Karsten Anser 2

Balls: :titleist: Nxt tour/ Prov1x

Played the front 9 at my local course. Had a crappy day, carding 3 double bogeys. But a flush 7-iron on the last hole put me 12 feet from the pin and I made the birdie putt. Seriously, this game must enjoy yanking your chain... :roll:

"Golf is an entire game built around making something that is naturally easy - putting a ball into a hole - as difficult as possible." - Scott Adams

Mid-priced ball reviews: Top Flight Gamer v2 | Bridgestone e5 ('10) | Titleist NXT Tour ('10) | Taylormade Burner TP LDP | Taylormade TP Black | Taylormade Burner Tour | Srixon Q-Star ('12)

Shot 88 and scored 37 points on a course ive not played beforw to win my society day Placed top 3 in the first 3 events and next week were playing a course i know well so i expect to shoot well,...as the winner i loose two shots and go down to a 16 handicap now,....gunna make it hard to win but i dont mind, gives everyone else a chance which is the main idea i guess, so long as i keep placing well for the overall league points :D

:tmade: Driver: TM Superfast 2.0 - 9.5degree - Reg flex
:mizuno: 3 Wood: JPX800 - 16* Exhsar5 Stiff
:mizuno: 3 - PW: MP-67 Cut Muscle back - S300 stiff
:slazenger: Sand Wedge: 54degree, 12degree bounce
:slazenger: Lob Wedge: 60degree 10degree bounce
:ping: Putter: Karsten 1959 Anser 2 Toe weighted
:mizuno: Bag - Cart Style

Talk about an up and down road today.  Had 6 birdies 6 bogies for an even round 71.  I was playing super solid then started hitting these pull draws and it was a hard battle the rest of the day.

Driver: Titleist 915 D3
3 wood: 15 Callaway X Hot pro
Hybrids:  18 Callaway X Hot Pro
Irons: 4-GW Callaway Apex
project x 6.0
Wedges: 54 , 58 Callaway
Putter: 2 ball
Ball: Callaway Chrome

Shot a disappointing 85 yesterday. Par is 70, but its a pretty easy course to play. It had rained for the past couple days off and on, and the course showed it. Some flooded bunkers and an overall very soggy ground. Front nine went well, shot +2 for a 37. Ground was soft, but not too bad. Back nine was a different story, very muddy, very wet...caught many shots fat, had a few drives plug in the fairway. Shot a +13 on the back nine...just couldn't seem to hit anything off the ground that wasn't teed up.

In the Ogio Chamber Cart Bag w/ Ogio X4 Synergy Push Cart: Driver: Adams Super LS 7.5* w/ Harrison Striper H2 60x Fairway: Adams Tight Lies 16* Fairway Wood w/ Harrison Mugen Black 70x Irons: Adams Idea Pro Black CB1 Irons w/ Project X 6.0 Flighted Steel Shafts (3-PW) Wedges: Yururi Raw Gekku w/ Project X 6.0 Flighted Steel Shafts (53, 57, & 61) Putter: Never Compromise Gambler Straight Ball: Srixon Z-Star/Z-Star XV Tour Yellow GPS: Garmin Approach G6 Shoes: True Linkswear

I hit a major milestone in my 2012 goals by playing bogey golf and not scoring worse than a bogey. I shot a 43 (+8) and it could have easily been a 40. I missed a number of par putts which was frustrating, but at least they were par putts and not bogey putts. The problem I have with this course is the yardage markers. First, the yardage you see on my card is wrong as they only have the black tees labeled on the scorecard and therefore that's all you see on apps like GolfShot. Second, the posted yardage for the white tees at each hole don't appear to be accurate. Doesn't matter so much except for the par 3s, but #5 and #8 get me all screwed up when trying to choose a club. Today I overshot both of them by a club, so simply remembering which club to hit on each would likely yield a stroke or two overall. [URL=http://thesandtrap.com/image/id/254865/width/640/height/485][IMG]http://thesandtrap.com/image/id/254865/width/640/height/485[/IMG][/URL]

Driver: TaylorMade SuperFast 2.0 -- 10.5* Woods: TaylorMade SuperFast 2.0 -- 3w 15*, 5w 18* Hybrid: TaylorMade Burner SuperFast 2.0 Rescue -- 4h 21* Irons: TaylorMade Burner Plus -- 5-AW Wedges: TaylorMade RAC -- 56.12, 60.07 Putter: TaylorMade Spider Ghost -- 35" Ball: It's complicated.

I once birdied the 1st at Royal Lytham which as you know is a long par 3. Hit a very sweet hybrid to 2metres and holed the putt. Unfortunately that was the extent of my success on that afternoon!! The bunkers and rough were too much for my limited game.. Nice lunch in the clubhouse though and a very cosy little pro shop.

Played Victoria Golf Club here in Melbourne's sandbelt on Friday. In the world top 100 and rated not far behind Royal Melbourne. Got around in under 100 but only just - 99. Unfortunate really as I had 46 on the front 9 but imploded on the back. 4 pars were all good but the bunkers are too hard for me to exit consistently. Fantastic fairways, lovely greens and a great layout.

Shot the most disappointing 81 of my life yesterday. I was playing The Castle Course at Northern Bay (a replica course that includes holes like the 17th at Sawgrass, 13th at Augusta and 18th at Bay Hill) and carded a 42 going out, but started off the back going par-birdie (on the aforementioned "Island Green" and "Amen Corner Finale," respectively). I continued to shoot lights out on the back nine, going -2 (+4 for the entire round) into 17. I yipped that par putt to put me back at -1 for the back and just wanted to come in at even. The finishing hole is a replica of Bay Hill's 18th. I put my drive in the left rough and had just a wedge to get home. Scared of the water right, I pulled the shot left of the green into a bunker.

That's when I lost focus, and six-shots later, I'm home in 81.

taylormade.gif Burner SuperFast Driver, 9.5* taylormade.gif Rescue 11 2h, 16*
taylormade.gif rac Lt Irons, 3i-Pw, Aw taylormade.gif rac Satin Wedges, 54-10, 58-8 
 Corza Ghost Putter

Shot 85 today! That's the 3rd time in the past week I have broken 90 (88, 84, 85), and today's round came on a course I had never played before. My handicap now sits at 15, not bad considering it was a 23+ about 18 months ago.

Mark Boyd of the Clan Boyd
"Retired in my Dreams"

Shot 90 on a par 72 course. Was 2 over after 5,holes, then the dreaded triple appeared! Only one I had, thankfully. Was hitting everything pretty consistently except the driver.

In my Sun Mountain 14 Way Stand Bag:

Driver - Ping G30 10.5* : Fairway - Ping G30 18* : Hybrids - Titleist 915H 21* & 915 H 24* : Irons - Mizuno JPX 850 Forged 5 - GW : Wedges, Vokey 54.14, Vokey 58.12 : Putter - Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 or Ping Craz-E-R  : Ball - Bridgestone B330RX, Cart - Cliqgear 3.5

I shot a 94 (par 72) today at a flighted tournament. Tough but beautiful course with big and fast greens. The Ridge at Castle Pines North (Colorado).

My driver failed me today, but my 3WD and Hybrid were my best friends today. My iron play was also pretty solid.

One of those weird rounds, one good hole, followed by one bad hole, etc.

Kinda happy and sad at the same time. But still it was a pretty good tournament, haven't played in one for a few years. Next tourney in two weeks.

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha 10.5* 

3WD:  Callaway Big Bertha 15* / X2 Hot H4 Hybrid
Irons:  Callaway Apex 4-PW Project X 5.5 shafts

Wedges: Callaway MackDaddy 2  52/58
Putter: Odyessey Metal X Milled 1

I finally got to play the local course that I practice at called Bent Creek here in Jacksonville, Florida. I ended up shooting my best score to date of an 85. My drives were perfect off the tee box. This was my first time actually hitting EVERY fairway/green off the tee box. Some putts on the par 3's were extremely long, but it felt good to know I was putting for birdie. I lose only two balls in the water on horrible second shots, and didn't put it in the beach.

I've been playing every weekend for the past month, and I can see my game improving greatly. My goal this year was to break 90 and my last two trips I've shot in the 80's. I hope the next time I play I can shoot maybe an 82 :)

Driver :: Cobra AMP 55g Stiff

3 Wood :: Cobra AMP 55g Stiff

4-9, PW, GW, SW :: Cobra AMP Steel

Putter :: Odyssey White Ice Sabertooth

Ball ::   

Bag :: Puma Orange Formation Stand Golf Bag