IGNORED

What'd You Shoot Today?

iacas

Been working on my swing for 2-3 months. trying to get back to some basics with a firmer left arm, and flattening out the swing plane a bit. No new clubs and with the same ball. And it's worked pretty well. After playing for 35+ years, I was getting lazy and just phoning it in with my buddies. They're never going to beat me so I don't concentrate as much. I decided instead of beating them, I would POUND them and they might take some interest in improving as well. On the courses we usually play, I might have shot an 84/86 last year. A few wild duck hooks and big bananas thrown in to the mix. Since the new swing has kicked in, I've kept it below 80, and yesterday on a quick 9 holes, I managed an even par 37 with 3 birdies, 1 bogey and a 1dbl, mostly due to 3 putts. So those extra putts(usually the best part of my game) cost me a 2 under. The new swing has improved the driving accuracy, but it hasn't quite translated to the irons but it is getting better.
  • Upvote 1

Played my home 9 hole course 2x today.  Shot 11 over then 10 over (and for the 5th time this year missed a bogey round by 1 STROKE! )

I did drill my driver 300 yards on one hole, and my irons were spot on today.  Oddly though, got 3 pars on the first round, and no pars on the second round, but the second round was more consistant, and I'd rather be consistant then go triple bogey and 3 pars.

Dirver:  Burner Superfast (Stiff Shaft) 9.5*----3 wood: Daiwa 3 Metal G-4 Brougham

2 Hybrid: T7 Attack 16*----3 Hybrid: Golden Bear GB Tech 460----4-AW  Burner 2.0 (R Flex)

SW:  56* LW: Mitsubisha 60*  Ball: Nike PD Soft -- Glove:  Weathersof

Cypresswood Golf Club - Cypress Course, Humble, TX

78 and I needed 3 birdies in last 4 holes to get there. Short course but fun. Going for green in 2 on every par 5 although I was crushing the driver. Putter was asleep or it could have been epic.

Today I played a 9 hole par 27 course and shot a 35. I was pretty excited to only hit 8 over (even though it is a 1228 yard par 3 only course with the longest hole 175 yards). I am a high handicap player who just started playing last year and I am happy to have started to get a good feel for my iron hits. Now, if I can only control the driver a little better and avoid the out of bounds fades, I should be able to get the scores closer to an even 100 on full courses, and perhaps break 100 by the end of the summer ( I have shot 47 on 9, but my lowest on 18 is 117). Hoping this site will help with the improvements as well. I am new member.

Driver:  :adams: super S

Fairway Woods: :tmade: RBZ 15* 3 wood

Hybrids:  :tmade: Burner 2.0 18* 3H, :adams: A7OS 22* 4H, :adams: A7OS 25* 5H

Irons: :adams: A7OS 6-PW

Wedges:  :cleve: 588 RTX 50* GW, :cleve: 588 BeCu 56* SW

Putter:  :odyssey: White Hot XG #7 2.0

Yesterday I shot a 91 from the Silver tees at The Ranch Club in Missoula, MT.  Then went to the Primus concert after.  It was a great Father's Day for me!!

Shot a very solid 74 (+2) on one of my local favorite tracks.  (6729 yds, 71.5/121).  Actually played better than the score woud indicate.  I hit 12 GIR, and spun 3 off the front of greens trying to get at front pins (so essentially 15 GIR).  Yet I only made 1 birdie (2 putted from 25 feet on par 5 9th hole).  I bogeyed the 1st hole, then didn't have another bogey until I made a double after a terrible swing on the par 3 17th.

I liked how they set the course up this day.  There are 2 beastly par 3s on this track (218 yd 5th, 213 yd 12th), which they moved forward to (essentially) the white tee distances (190, 200), which made the course a lot more fun.  The par 5s were all at the very back, and the par 4s were mixed up (some forward, some back).

Ping i15 9.0 (UST Mamiya S)

Cobra X-Speed 4+ Wood (Aldila S)

Cobra Baffler 3-Hybrid (19)

Mizuno JPX-825 Pro (4-GW) KBS Tour S

Cobra Rusty 55 SW

Cobra Rusty 59 LW

Never Compromise Gambler (34")

Played Riverbend CC, Bridgewater MA

Shot an 88. Front 9 was decent with 6 GIRs, putting not so much. Back 9 2 GIRs, great putting. Now i just have to put it together.

callaway.gif Razr Fit 8.5* Stiff

callaway.gif Big Bertha Hawkeye 3W

callaway.gifFT Fusion 2H, 3H

callaway.gif  X-22 Tour 5- PW PX 6.0

vokey.gif SM5 48-08 FG
vokey.gif SM5 54-10 SG

vokey.gif SM5 59-07 SG

Originally Posted by iPutt

(6/9/11) Shot a 93 for my career best. The funny thing is is that it came on the hardest course I've played all year (Bethpage Red). My driver wasn't even working that well but I was able to really take advantage of my short irons and short game and really grind for a score. My goal of breaking 100 for the 2011 season is over and now we move on to breaking 90

(7/11/11) Well, I last posted here after shooting my 93 and talked about my new goal of breaking 90. Now I've been there, done that . Shot an 87 today at the same course, Bethpage Red. Started out the on the front 9 with a somewhat unimpressive 48. Only one par which came on the 4th hole where I hit possibly the best 7 iron of my life, 165 yards into the wind to 15 feet. Mostly unimpressive golf and some screw ups like the penalty stroke on the 7th where I hit the ball with my practice swing. Also on the 8th hole, I proceeded to drive it 295 yard right down the middle (downwind on rock hard fairways, still my longest drive ever though), hit it to about 20 feet with my 56* wedge, and then 3-putt for bogey. So after this nine, I really tried to refocus myself and just concentrate on each individual shot because I was hitting it pretty well up to this point. Ended up shooting a 39 (+4) on the back for my best 9-hole and 18-hole score. 5 pars, 4 bogeys, almost flawless. I still left a couple shots out there today (especially on the front) which proves to me that I still definitely have room to improve. The back wasn't even spectacular golf, just hit some greens and dropped some putts. One highlight was the open faced 4 hybrid out of a fairway bunker and onto the green on the 18th hole to save bogey (I had already went bunker to bunker on my second shot). Another was the 3 hybrid up the hill on 15th hole for the GIR which I then 2-putted for par. Overall I just drove the ball great today and putted well down the stretch for my career best 87.

(3/18/12) So I've pretty much decided to post in this thread whenever I shoot a career best. Today was one of those days. Shot an 86 to just beat out the 87 I shot last this season. This time the score came while I was at school at a course called Newton Commonwealth. Also, while the 87 was composed of two extremely lopsided nines, today was a routine 43-43. Today really showed how much I'm improving because even though I felt as if I played so-so golf, I just grinded it out, avoided the blowup holes, and really came out with a great score. It also shows me how much more I can accomplish because I left at least 6 shots out there today. The bad of today consisted of 3-putting 3 of my 4 GIR (possibly attributed to getting familiar with distance control with my new putter) and really my driving (I only hit about 2 really good drives all day on the 8th and 11th, the rest were simply playable). However, my irons and hybrids today were on fire all day. I hit possibly the best 6 iron of my life on the 13th hole which is a unique par 4 of about 230 yards, but you're not allowed to carry the pond (which starts at about 185 yards out) in front of the green on your first shot because the club house is right behind the green. I pured a 6 iron that's flight was so perfect as it just continued to rise until it dropped about 5 yards short of the pond at about 175-180 yards out. I also pured my 3-hybrid about 3 times (on the 2nd, 8th, and 15th holes), my 7 iron twice (on the 2nd and 5th), a flushed pitching wedge on the par 3 16th from about 130 yards out to 20ish feet, and had a beautiful 8 iron over a tree on the 17th hole to the front of the green to get up and down for the par of the bogey/par finish i needed. My short game was really great all day too even though I only got up and down 4/13 times when it was realistically possible. While 4/13 isn't great, even getting up and down for par 4 times in a round is ground breaking for me, and there were many other times where I was giving myself close puts for par (I only 3-putted once when I wasn't on the GIR). Overall, this season is shaping up to truly be a great one. If I can get my putting sharpened along with my driving, I really don't think the 70's are too far away.

(6/18/12) I really need to start thinking of a way to make this post shorter, but for now, another best! Shot an 80 today at Bethpage Blue, so close to the 70's!! But still I played great today and was able to beat out my last best by a whole 6 strokes. An even breakdown of 40 on both nines, consistency was the name of the game today. I drove the ball somewhat average, but I kept it in play (most of the time, more on that later) and my irons were really great today. I hit a lot of shots that were 3/4 shots that I was able to flight really close to the hole. My short game was also on fire today. I almost chipped in for birdie from the rough on 1 (settled for par), and then did in fact chip in for birdie on the 4th (after thinking i screwed up the hole after not reaching the green in two (or three) after a terrific drive. My long irons and hybrids today were also great and I really only had one bad hole, a double bogey on 9 (my only hole worse than bogey). In terms of putting, I didn't really make any long ones, but I only had 32 putts on the day (which is low for me) and I was able to leave myself with many 2-3 foot par putts (drained all of these) and only had one 3-putt which included a putt from the rough. One game changing stretch today was after losing a ball on the par five 12th, I was able to put my provisional onto the green in two within 15 feet, and even after missing the par (eagle*) putt, I was able to salvage bogey (birdie*). Then after that, I was able to get up and down from a green-side bunker about 40 yards from the hole. Opened up a pitching wedge and put it to about four feet. So after 15 holes, sitting at 8 over for the day, I was determined to make this a great score and was able to finish birdie-bogey-par for a tidy 80. Felt great to play so well today, but I know that I still left shots out there and want to break into the 70's so bad! Still a lot of summer left though, and can't wait to get back out there.

l Bag l TaylorMade Stand Bag

l Driver l TaylorMade '07 Burner 9.5* l 3-Wood l Titleist 910F 15* (D1 shaft setting)

l Hybrids l TaylorMade '07 Burner 19* : TaylorMade '10 Rescue 22*

l Irons l TaylorMade r7 5-PW l Wedges l Titleist Bob Vokey 52* 56* 60*

l Putter l Scotty Cameron California Del Mar 34" l Balls l TaylorMade Penta TP

shot an 89 yesterday, which is two better than my previous career best of 91 shot on saturday. the weather held off and i hit 5 gir, but only 4 fairways and had 32 putts.

i never thought i would be so excited to fix divots, but i hit two greens with my 4 iron, one with a 5 iron, one with my 8, and one with the 58* after a particularly good driver/hybrid combo on a par 5. my driver accuracy didn't improve much, but that and my 30 yards in pitching are the two things i need to spend some time on. i don't think i'm going to play for a little while, kind of wore it out with 6 round in 5 days.

G25 Driver (10.5* Stiff Flex)

G20 3 Wood (15* Stiff Flex)

i15 3 Hybrid (20* Stiff Flex)

i20 Hybrid (23* Stiff Flex)

JPX 800 (5-AW)

T11 54* (9* Bounce) and 58* (10* Bounce) w/DG Spinner Shafts

Tracy

My ball is anything on sale

An 85. No idea how it happened. Actually, I do. Played mostly bogey golf with a few stupid doubles in there. Then went par-par-birdie on 15, 16, 17. It was a par-70 course, so 85 is only 3 under bogey golf. I guess I had just more than enough pars to offset the doubles.

"Golf is an entire game built around making something that is naturally easy - putting a ball into a hole - as difficult as possible." - Scott Adams

Mid-priced ball reviews: Top Flight Gamer v2 | Bridgestone e5 ('10) | Titleist NXT Tour ('10) | Taylormade Burner TP LDP | Taylormade TP Black | Taylormade Burner Tour | Srixon Q-Star ('12)

Shot 93, best ever, at Manakiki in a tourney placed 5 outa 9, but theres usually alot more than that.

"It's better to burn out than to fade away." -Kurt Cobain

72.5CR 137slope:

Score: 73

I played decent tee to green.....the difference was only needing 25 putts.   The funny thing is I had a boneheaded 3-putt from 20feet, but I also holed my share from inside of 15' too.  I had 4 birdies and couple nice par saves..............

What's in Paul's Bag:
- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Driver
- Big Bertha Alpha 815 3-wood
- Callaway Razr Fit 5-wood
- Callaway Big Bertha 4-5 Rescue Clubs
-- Mizuno Mx-25 six iron-gap wedge
- Mizuno Mp-T4 56degree SW
- Mizuno Mp-T11 60degree SW
- Putter- Ping Cadence Ketsch

40 (+5), 31.1/103. It's my best score here so far, highlighted by my first eagle! It's a short par 4, 291 yards. It goes slightly right off the tee and doglegs hard right at about 165 yards. I put a nice 7i on the right side of the fairway, just missing the single tree that obstructs approach shots from too far right off the tee. I had about 115 left, pulled my 9i, and swung it solid. It was perfectly on line, carried the bunker, took two hops and I heard it hit the flag. The green is slightly elevated so I didn't see it go in, but I was surely excited when I pulled up to the green and didn't see my ball. :-) My putter was rolling well today. I've been playing other courses recently, most of which have fast greens. This place has very slow greens, and surprisingly that didn't hurt me much. I had 2 birdie putts just barely miss but the lines pretty well read for each. I put one in the water on #2 (stroke and distance), so that mostly kept me from breaking into the 30s here, something I haven't done just yet. I have a feeling that's not far off. [URL=http://thesandtrap.com/image/id/280676/width/640/height/481][IMG]http://thesandtrap.com/image/id/280676/width/640/height/481[/IMG][/URL]

Driver: TaylorMade SuperFast 2.0 -- 10.5* Woods: TaylorMade SuperFast 2.0 -- 3w 15*, 5w 18* Hybrid: TaylorMade Burner SuperFast 2.0 Rescue -- 4h 21* Irons: TaylorMade Burner Plus -- 5-AW Wedges: TaylorMade RAC -- 56.12, 60.07 Putter: TaylorMade Spider Ghost -- 35" Ball: It's complicated.

37 front 9, 41 back- 78 (par 71)

Went Birdie, birdie, par to start the front. Bogeyed the fourth, and doubled the 7tt par 3 after the wind helped my ball fly the green into the Hazard. Par on the rest of the front nine for a 1 over 37.

On the back I doubled 12, again flying the green, bogey'd 13 and 17, and doubled 18, for a 41 over the back nine. I think I got too excited about the front 9 and lost it on the back. Overall a great round, tying my best ever.

Things to work on:

- Club selection in strong, tidal winds

- Scrambling (I have a hard time to get up and down for par off a bad shot)

- Putting- Matching stroke length to speed. Work on speed for long putts on fast greens.

Positives:

-Alot mor GIR than usual.

- Hit a lot of fairways today. Moving my right foot back two inches, while keeping the same width, stopped me from coming from the outside and slicing the ball. Only one slice all day, and it was with my 3 wood.

-Wedge play. I nailed some beautiful shots with my wedges front and back. Lots of spin. Both of my birdies on the front landed and sat within 5 feet of the pin, and I missed a 4 foot birdie putt on 9.

-Irons- My iron striking ability has greatly improved with my new Irons. Distances are perfect, and very consistent. Feels great to hit the shots I did today, including some great saves from bad lies when a long ways from the pin.

In the Ogio Kingpin bag:

Titleist 913 D2 9.5* w/ UST Mamiya ATTAS 3 80 w/ Harrison Shotmaker & Billy Bobs afternarket Hosel Adaptor (get this if you don't have it for your 913)
Wilson Staff Ci-11 4-GW (4I is out of the bag for a hybrid, PW and up were replaced by Edel Wedges)
TaylorMade RBZ 5 & 3 Fairway Woods

Cobra Baffler T-Rail 3 & 4 Hybrids

Edel Forged 48, 52, 56, 60, and 64* wedges (different wedges for different courses)

Seemore Si-4 Black Nickel Putter

I had my first eagle, on a par 4 interestingly enough, en route to my lowest ever score a +3 75. My ball striking has gotten really good from about 180 and in. The big game changer was that I broke my driver last week, and was playing off the tee with my 3 wood and actually keeping the golf ball dry, out of the shade, and on the golf course.

:whistle:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Finally a round with no 3-putts to card a 78 at my home course.  Really starting to get the hang of the belly putter.

In my  bag: 

Diablo Octane Tour 9.5, 18  -  6DT 19 (3I Hybrid) - 

Diablo Forged Irons 5-PW -  Tom Watson wedges 52,56,60 - 64 (generic) 

D.A.R.T. Belly Putter

B330-RX Balls

I played in my first tournament today (I'm 18) shot a round of 93 including a 10 on a par 5 and won the tournament with a 25 handicap that I entered (I don't have an official one, but if anything it would be higher). Shot 43 on the back 9 which is my best 9 holes ever! Used my uncles R11 driver which I really liked and believe I will now purchase. I think I can be in the 80's by the end of the year.