IGNORED

What'd You Shoot Today?

iacas

Shot a 87 yesterday at Briarwood Golf Club.  Best scoring round so far this year.  The real bummer was the 5 missed par putts inside 6 feet.

85, and for someone looking to break 80 this year it normally would be a little annoying to keep seeing mid 80s.  Today was a little different, the front 9 was abysmal on the greens, I had a 4 putt to double bogey the first par 3, and was generally awful.  The front ended with a frustrating 46.  I ended last year almost always shooting in the low 40s so the string of 44-47s to start this year has been a bit tiring.

The back nine I wasn't good by any means from a putting stand point, but the approach shots were on and as the back nine continued my ball striking peaked.  If I had putted reasonably well I could have feasibly been even through the first 6 holes of the back, as it was I missed a lot more 5-10 feet putts than I'd like.  However, after bogeying 16 on another poor putting display (the 2 putt wasn't necessarily unexpected but the first of the two was ugly) I drove the green on #17 (the hole you see in my avatar) and two putted for birdie.  Then on 18 I hit a beautiful a 6 iron on the 165 yard par 3 and nearly holed it out.  I put it within 4 inches.  Tapped in my second straight birdie to go with 2 earlier pars to give me a 3 over 39 on the back.

Its the first time I've managed to match what I was doing last year (even if it was only for 9 holes), so while the front 9 was borderline annoying I think the day was a net positive.

Edited by baller7345

Driver - Cleveland CG Black 265
Fairway Wood - Adams Tight Lies 16 Degrees
Hybrids - 18 and 20 Degrees Adams Pro
Irons - 4-PW Adams XTD
Wedges - 52 and 56 degree Cleavland CG16

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

SGCC Blue Tees

39-36-75 2 birdies, one double 

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

8 shots below net par in the howling wind. Perhaps my handicap needs adjusting.

In my bag (Motocaddy Light)

Taylormade Burner driver, Taylormade 4 wood, 3 x Ping Karsten Hybrids, 6-SW Ping Karsten irons with reg flex graphite shafts. Odyssey putter, 20 Bridgestone e6 balls, 2 water balls for the 5th hole, loads of tees, 2 golf gloves, a couple of hand warmers, cleaning towel, 5 ball markers, 2 pitch mark repairers, some aspirin, 3 hats, set of waterproofs, an umbrella, a pair of gaiters, 2 pairs of glasses. Christ, it's amazing I can pick the bloody thing up !!

Saturday was pretty strange, 5 pars, 5 birdies, 5 bogeys, 3 doubles, 78.  Sunday, walking and carrying, a nice 36, followed by an ugly 44.  Goes to show what lower-body fatigue can do to the consistency of a golf swing.  Gotta keep up with the walking and get in better golf-shape before I go to Ireland in June.

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

2 hours ago, DaveP043 said:

Saturday was pretty strange, 5 pars, 5 birdies, 5 bogeys, 3 doubles, 78.  Sunday, walking and carrying, a nice 36, followed by an ugly 44.  Goes to show what lower-body fatigue can do to the consistency of a golf swing.  Gotta keep up with the walking and get in better golf-shape before I go to Ireland in June.

I am now getting on a bit, and agree. I now have a policy of taking out an energy drink for the back nine, and I think it helps 

1 hour ago, Club Rat said:

Bumpity Bump on the aerated greens, happy with a 77.

What was the back nine like ?

In my bag (Motocaddy Light)

Taylormade Burner driver, Taylormade 4 wood, 3 x Ping Karsten Hybrids, 6-SW Ping Karsten irons with reg flex graphite shafts. Odyssey putter, 20 Bridgestone e6 balls, 2 water balls for the 5th hole, loads of tees, 2 golf gloves, a couple of hand warmers, cleaning towel, 5 ball markers, 2 pitch mark repairers, some aspirin, 3 hats, set of waterproofs, an umbrella, a pair of gaiters, 2 pairs of glasses. Christ, it's amazing I can pick the bloody thing up !!

12 minutes ago, paininthenuts said:

What was the back nine like ?

The back nine was awesome.....

Picked up a six-pack, hammered a couple of Fireballs down and the Back was feel' in NO pain......:beer:

Johnny Rocket - Let's Rock and Roll and play some golf !!!

Didn't keep score but found out during my round of golf yesterday through trial that I now have the tool to make it easier for me to get on par fours in 2 and par 5's in 3. The tool I am referring to is my new 3-4 adjustable hybrid club which have now replaced my 3, 4 and 5 irons

38-39-77 SGCC Gold Tees

One birdie

Windy as all get out today.  18th hole is 430 from the gold tee.  Into the wind I hit driver, mini-driver to 20 yards short of the green.  

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

I went with my cousin after work today. We both had our best rounds ever; his 102 and my 101. I putted really well (for me), with just one 3-putt and 31 putts total. I've yet to get my Game Golf round uploaded and checked over, but I felt I was hitting fairways well, or staying really close, for the most part. My game was better than it has been inside of 50, and I used the heck out of my 3 wood, to mostly great success.

Now, I just have to figure out how to get under 100. The biggest help would probably be not losing a ball into the canyon on 10, which I do every time (total mental block). My first-hole play has also been rather poor this year, but that's been greatly affected by bad luck ending up in the right side sand, which is never in good condition (it was pretty wet, almost like mud, today). I had a 9 on that hole, even though it's not all that tough.

Yesterday I shot 42 on the front 9.  On the back 9 we played captain's choice.  So I don't have a back 9 score, except to say my chipping was really bad. 

However, I made a major breakthrough in my ball striking from the fairway.  I changed my grip and it led to some amazing results.  Before, my hands were sort of opposed to each other.  Yesterday, I rotated both hands towards each other so they were more on top of the club.   Like Ben Hogan's grip in his book.  Wow, what an improvement.   Much greater control at the top of the backswing.   Much greater control of the release when the club is parallel to the ground.  Much more power.   My hybrids made this loud crack that I've never heard before and flew 10 yards further and straighter.  I hit an 8-iron to within 5 feet on two different par-3s.  I'm very excited about this.   We'll see what it leads to.  

I played 9 holes today and made a par, a bogey and 7 @#$@'s.  I also found a new-ish ProV1.  The only close to decent shot I made all day, a 50 degree wedge into a short par 3, got caught up in a tree that somebody had carelessly planted too close to the green.  Then it fell into an giant puddle that somebody had neglected to dry up.  HUGE puddle.  Like .5 acres across and deep, too.  I have to start playing at better courses.   

Shot 88 yesterday. My second round of the year. 1 stroke better than my first of the year. 

Driver wasnt working king to any capacity. Missed all 6 fairways that I put it in play with and shot a 45 on the front because of that. 

Starting on the 9th I started teeing off w my 3 wood and I hit 6/8 fairways with an average distance of around 240ish which I was happy with. 

Pitching and chipping wasn't all bad, just had issues with distance control really but I was striking them well. 

32 putts for the round which I'm not unhappy with but also not totally happy with. I'd like to be around 28. 

All in all, not horrible but lots to improve on still 

First 9 hole round for 2016 at my new home course. Shot a 58, 1 par, 1 bogie, 3 doubles and 4 others. Was on both par 3 in regulation and hit 3/7 fairways. 3 water balls and some green side chipping needed. 

Under construction, signature and game.

Had an interesting day on Saturday. The conditions were the best of the year so far and it was a bogey competition against the course where the winner is usually somewhere between +5-+8. I won the comp by being +3 at the end of the round :)

Had a even par 46 out (for my handicap) with pretty much nothing really happening apart from not being able to putt to save myself (opened with a 3 putt to bogey the first hole).

Then had 41 back (3 under for my handicap) with several big saves along the way including hitting a bunker at 280 yards off the 17th tee, then chunking my shot out of the sand to an inch of falling in to water to then putting the next shot 2 foot to past the pin for a big up and down and a win to take me to +2. Parred the final hole after sinking a 10 foot final putt after leaving the first putt shorter than a really short thing!

So an 87 on the day in what turned out to be a really low scoring competition. Only 5 people were up against the course out of nearly 100 participants (to be fair when the grounds men put the pins "back" it does make the course a much harder prospect.

End result is my name up on a board AND, more importantly, got my handicap under 18 for the first time in my life (and heading in the right direction)!!! :)

Regards

Mailman

Mailman

I am still in the elusive hunt to break 100 after taking up this game again. 107 yesterday which was an improvement over the last two disastrous rounds. (Actually I have a lot of rounds I haven't posted here.) However, unlike other rounds, I thoroughly enjoyed this round and feel like I had good shot on every hole. Lots of work to do yet, but the lessons are helping a lot and the folks I play with comment on how much my swing and ball-striking has improved since I started lessons.

Was in FL for a couple days as part of our company's annual meeting.  Played at the Turnberry Isle Resort and posted a couple of mediocre scores (Soffer Course - 12.6 Differential and Miller Course 13.4 differential).

It was nice to see the ball bounce & roll a bit on the fairway.  Greens left me perplexed.  Overall I was happy to see my ball striking come back a bit after not playing much since December.

Brian Kuehn