IGNORED

What'd You Shoot Today?

iacas

21 hours ago, Apoc81 said:

Shot an 87 yesterday, and it felt like I played well. But again, 3 off the tee FOUR times. One was literally driven too far. A 25' wide river runs through the fairway and into the ocean (its an Oceanside course)at 280 yards out. bI never expected to hit my best drive of the day 270 yards, let alone watch it roll into a fast moving river (we had a lot of rain this spring, so rivers are really high). One was off into the woods. One sliced into the ocean, and the other landed nowhere near water, but was hard into the left edge of the woods, so I took a provisional, and of course we could not find my ball. Thats 8 strokes I should not have needed to play (or give up in penalties).

Other than that, my course management is good. I did birdie the first hole, a dogleg right par 5, and then drained a 25 footer for birdie on the 18th. So I started and finished well. :mellow: In truth, aside from the 3 off the tee's, I only blew up one hole. A 175 yard par 3 that I caught fat, then a wedge that landed on the fringe as far away from the hole as possible. Chipped towards the flag, landed on the downslope and rolled back towards me, 20'+ from the flag, which I then 3 putted. Pathetic. But the next hole I made par, and then a par on the final par 3, which is the nicest hole on the course, and only 112 yards from the blacks (103 from the forward tee's) which is completely over water. If you miss short, its water, miss left your safe, miss right or drive the green, you're in a horrible bunker. I nailed a beautiful wedge shot to 10 feet, and left my putt hanging on the lip, literally, with a slight tap for par. 

I really don't agree. The misses are just as important as the great shots. You can't improve a well struck shot, we focus on the bad ones because thats where we need work. My drives are long, but 1 in 4 is a wild slice (instead of my natural fade on my better shots, or straight drives on my great ones), so obviously I need work there. Those are the important shots, not the ones that did just what you wanted. 

We all should examine our misses and refer to them as challenges or future goals. Full disclosure, I lost to the 8th seed as the number 1 seed in our club championship.

What I take away from this round

1. Making a birdie on top of my opponent when he chipped in for birdie

2. Making good decisions given my opponents result.

3. I never gave up and realized the better golfer won on that day. (Hey the US beat the Russians in 1980) - I know a little hyperbole.   

Take aways/ Future goals -

How to accept and embrace the pressure which only comes with getting into those situations.

Here are your highlights: 1. my course management is good. 2. I did birdie the first hole  3. .......next hole I made par, and then a par on the final par 3, which is the nicest hole on the course, and only 112 yards from the blacks (103 from the forward tee's) which is completely over water.

Focus on that because we remember the good stuff.  

Keep swinging and good luck this season! 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Worst round of the year last night.  Shot a 46 on the toughest and longest of the four 9-hole courses my league plays.

2 pars

5 bogeys

1 DB

1TB

Good:  Drove the ball very well.  That's about it

Bad:  Everything else !  Duffed my second shot on both par 5's as I picked my head up and topped the ball. Took the DB and Tb on these holes.  So a 7 and an 8 added up real quick! My mental game was crap too.  

My opponent was getting a stroke on 6 holes and he played his best round of the year, so I got whupped 7-2.

Edited by Zekez

Best overall round of the year as far as off the tee and approaches.  6.4 differential.  14 GIR, but had very few good looks at birdie.  I was mainly trying to 2-putt from over 20+ feet.

• Upvote 1

Brian Kuehn

+4 for 9 holes on my local Par 32 exec course. One (1) birdie, third birdie in my last four rounds, pretty good for me.

I was playing a Nike 20XI-X ball, because I’m trying to get rid of all the extra balls I bought way back when. That was like hitting a rock, I was super uncomfortable the entire time. I have to swing faster than normal to get the ball to “smush” on the club face and lift. I’m withdrawing those things from inventory stat. If anybody in this area wants them, I still 9 x 20XI-X and 12 x 20XI-S, you can come by my office and have them. Just send me a PM.

39/42=81.   2 birdies, 2 doubles, and a whole bunch of bogies.

Snuck out on a Thursday morning with 2 other guys and we scooted around in 3:00 to beat the rain, so I guess I can't complain.  

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Yesterday shot a painful 90.

• 5 pars
  • 9 bogies
  • 3 double bogies
  • 1 triple bogie

Had 35 putts (including successive 3-putts on back which killed me). Greens had been aerated two days ago... hit four putts which came up two inches short of going in.

Hit 11 of 14 fairways, drives solid but some a little too high (wasted 10-15 yards).

Was 11 over after 14, then hit double-triple on consecutive holes - bad shots plus three-putts.

With two holes to go, I needed a par and bogie to break 90. On short par 3, push wedge to pin high. Putting off fringe, I hit aeration spot which deflects ball... I then leave 5-foot clean-up putt two inches short.

No. 18 hit 50-yard pop-up drive into fairway. Smoke a 3W to just short of a greenside bunker. Cut a SW to within 10 feet... Stroke putt firmly (see above), it hits back of cup, jumps a foot into the air, and comes to rest 6 inches behind the cup. That's... 90 :-(

True downfall was on No. triple-bogie hole... had OK drive into tight fairway ... tried to muscle a 5i into headwind and put ball in hazard. Penalty drop, followed by way too long partial wedge and 3-putt. Should have punched up to in front of green, and tried for up and down. Oh, well.

I hit several solid full iron shots that hit and held the greens. But, I need to re-measure the distances for my partial wedge shots. Now that I've used my wedges for awhile, I'm hitting them about a half- to full-club longer than when I first got them. Knocking ball past pin too often.

New putter is great at keeping ball on line, but I need to work more on distance control.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

I played at 7 a.m. this morning, the first golfer on the course.  No warm up, just finished Mc Donald's and go.   I shot my 3rd best round of the year at my home course.   I shot an 85, 45/40.  I birdied the 2 par 5s on the back nine, 32 putts, 8 fairways but 4 others close, 6 GIR with an additional 8 nGIR.   

I'm still fighting my hook off of the tee but it only raised its ugly head on 16.. A work in progress. 

• Upvote 2

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

47+42 = 89.

6 pars, 1 triple bogie. 36 putts, terrible for me, I am usually around 30-32. Should have been an 86. 3 putted 4 times due to slow healing greens. 

I have been blocking to the right, very frustrating. Will work on getting my hips open and right shoulder through. Maybe I am just fatigued, but lately I felt myself getting "stuck" on the follow through.  

Edited by Kalnoky

Thursday night 9 hole league at the Creek at Qualchan.  I felt pretty good in spite of having to rush across town and my warmest consisted of 6 Putts.  I ended up shooting 3 over par 39 but my iron shots were not very crisp.  FIR:  5/7.  GIR 5/9, Putts 16.  I had a good night chipping and pitching and had a sand save on a Par 3.  I was 1 over par going into the last 2 holes and made bogeys from 150 and 95 yards in the middle of the fairway.  both were due to bad club selection and severe under clubbing.  Now, when I'm rounding into midseason form it's off to Fort Hunter-Liggett for 2 weeks of Army Reserve Training. 

:mizuno:  :titleist:  :tmade:

Played Dominion Valley CC in an interclub match. 

6400 yds 71.2/138 Par 72

39-38-77 2 birdies 1 double

played well for first time seeing the course. We lost our match to a team that shot -5 with their strokes but team won overall match, so our team is now 4-0 for the year. :-D

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

26 minutes ago, jsgolfer said:

our team is now 4-0 for the year. :-D

Congratulations on a good round, and on Springfield's success.  I also played interclub yesterday, at home against CC of Fairfax.  Started out a little wild, but made some good putts to get under par, then stabilized and played well over the last 11 or 12 holes, for a good 73 (72.0/138).  As I mentioned in My Swing, I'm working on improving my hip rotation, and I may just be getting it.

• Upvote 1

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

SGCC

39-39-78 1 birdie 1 double 

3 over on last two holes. Ugh.

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

40/38 = 78.  2 birdies on 12 and 14, separated by a double on 13.

I got skilz.  :doh:

• Upvote 2

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

51 + 51 = 102

home course Mapocho (slope 113, rating 72.3 and 7000 yards)

Worst round in recent years. Somewhere between the range and the course, I lost my swing. Very discouraging

7/13 Fairways lost two balls off the tee 

2/18 GIRs

36 putts

one birdie and one par

Certainly neither of these rounds is conventionally impressive, but after my month-and-a-half odyssey in S---ksville, its a definite step forward. No hosel rockets either round is big for me right now.

Saturday, Kittyhawk Eagle, 50-50-100

Driver was pretty poor all weak and led to a bunch of shots under, over or around trees. Not all those shots worked out well. The greens were firm as hell and artless pitch and chip shots found the furthest corners of the green to make a mess of my putting stats. Never-the-less, the ball went forward instead of sideways and when the 5W came out, I pounded that ball like it stole something.

Sunday, Miami Shores 48-44-92

This is an easier course that is much shorter and less-hazardous than the Eagle. I was put in with two other fellows and really happy to put up a decent round with actual humans present. The driver was still slicing and I took some risky shots on my seconds. The one worth remembering was a 190-yard 5W that just got over a tree and found the green for a rare GIR on No. 16. ... I had a routine PW from the fairway on 13. The shot was a solid one to 10 feet. As I headed to the green it occurred to me that was the first time I had felt entirely confident about an iron/wedge shot in months. 

All in all, it's progress.

• Upvote 1

Not posting here lately because the games have been great - didn't want to jinx it.  OK drives, but great approaches for like 5 rounds in a row.  I'm a fan of good approaches for sure.

So Friday that switched - great drives, mediocre approaches......It's amazing how good GIRs help the score....and how mediocre approaches can turn that around in a single round.  OK game, but not like the previous few.

Back to practicing my irons.

Bill - 

I shot an encouraging 90. The score was encouraging because I had 8 pars, all except one were gir or very close, meaning puttable. One had a poor chip and a long putt. Only one drive requiring a chip out; 13 of 14 very playable.

Don

In the bag:

Driver: PING 410 Plus 9 degrees, Alta CB55 S  Fairway: Callaway Rogue 3W PX Even Flow Blue 6.0; Hybrid: Titleist 818H1 21* PX Even Flow Blue 6.0;  Irons: Titleist 718 AP1 5-W2(53*) Shafts- TT AMT Red S300 ; Wedges Vokey SM8 56-10D Putter: Scotty Cameron 2016 Newport 2.5  Ball: Titleist AVX or 2021 ProV1