IGNORED

What'd You Shoot Today?

iacas

Managed to get out for the second week in a row, so awesome in January, last Friday. All kinds of personal bests for me. 5 pars in a row, 8 of them total, and a birdie. 43-38=81 which beat my previous best of 87 by a mile. I have no idea where this came from but I had a great day. I've never hit the ball so well (other than the range). :D

• Like 1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Brutal today.  I played Sunday and felt like things were starting to 'click' again for me.  Today, I went out alone.  Started pretty well... +2 through my first 5 holes.  I made a poor decision on a pitch shot on the 6th hole and ultimately ended up with a triple.  Lipped out a par attempt on the 7th.  Duffed it around on the 8th for another triple.  Ended up with a bogey on the 9th for a +10 front side.  I managed to go +8 over the last 4 holes there.  

Things didn't get much better on the back.  Poor swings on the 10th, 11th and 12th holes resulted in no pars.  Found a narrow branch on my lay-up on the 13th hole that kicked across the fairway.  Still gave myself a look at par from just in front of the green, but another lip out from 25 feet gave me a bogey.  Played the 14th and 15th like I kinda knew what I was doing.  Finished triple - bogey - triple.  

Dunno what it is about the closing stretch at my course.  Index holes 18, 16 and 14... respectively.  I just don't play them well.  

Back to the course tomorrow for some range time and some time spent at the short game area.

ETA - I forgot my score.  Duh.  46 - 48 = 94.

CY

Edited by Fairway_CY

Career Bests
- 18 Holes - 72 (+1) - Par 71 - Pine Island Country Club - 6/25/2022
- 9 Holes - 36 (E) - Par 36 - Pine Island Country Club - 6/25/2022

On Monday, I put together an outing for 8 of us at one of my favorite courses, Coyote Hills.  I was concerned about everyone having a good time and the details of carpooling and who would play together and whether there would be enough Fireball and whether the course would let us all have the Senior Deal.  So I didn't play all that well, 94, and didn't keep all my stats like I normally do.  But I had so much fun and introduced a few women to a fabulous course, and to a fun group of golfers, a marvelous day!

Today I shot a 91 on my home course, pretty average for me.  I didn't drive the ball well, need to get out on the range (ugh) and work on that.

• Like 1

Barbara

www.golfgirl.net 

Shot 102 at Walden Lake Houston (71.4/129). Not a good score obviously but working on a new swing I was happy with the way I drove the ball. My approach shots need some work. The course was forgiving off the tee, but being a von hagge design had way too much mounding and strangely elevated greens. I see lower scores in the near future. 

• Like 1

Down 1 thru 15.  Square after 16.  Dormie after 17.  Sealed it on 18.  A good day, regardless.

• Like 1

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

Just joined the sandtrap today, but yesterday shot a 78.  Got a double and a triple, so could have obviously had a lower score.  The course was forgiving and I had a lot of three-putts, but  two birdies, however I was smart and played to my yardages by not hitting driver on every par four.  I tend to prefer a full swing on the second shot on the short par fours. Really pleased with a 78 being a 10.9 index. 

• Like 1

Today is about as good as January golf gets in WV.  It's reasonable warm and while I wasn't able to go the entire round without shooting myself in the foot I beat the one I needed to beat by 1 stroke in the end.

Carded a very boring 40on the front due to some easy missed putts, and some bad chipping.  Still, it's January and I'm not going to be that upset at +4 this time of year.  Pull out a ridiculous par on the par 3 10th (hooked it way left, almost flew the green, and made the 25 footer off the fringe), nearly chip in for Eagle on the par 5 11th.  Proceed to bogey 12, and par 13.  Heading into 14 I'm now up by 4 strokes on my friend and feeling like I'm coasting to victory, until I pull hook a 4 iron OB.  3rd shot is fine, 4th shot is in a grass bunker short of the green, 5th is a botched flop, 6th is a flubbed chip, 7 is a missed putt, and tap in for 8...we are tied

Now we are tied, and my good round is looking a lot less good.  I manage to right the ship and par 15, fall back a little and three putt 16 for a bogey (Now 9 over for the round), and walk to the 17th tee.  It's a 280 yard par 4 that is severely downhill, so it's drivable pretty much no matter how cold it is for me.  My friend hits a good drive and is in the fairway (about 30 yards out) and I hit a little baby draw that ends up on the back right portion of the green (pin is in the front left).  I'm putting for eagle, but it's a about 45 feet and it's a hard breaking downhill putt.  My friend hits a wonderful pitch shot to about a foot and I know I need to 2 putt this monster or I'm going to be losing going into the last hole.  Line the putt up, hit it, and it looks like it has a decent line and the speed should make for an easy two putt.  About 3 feet from the hole it hits a partially repaired ball mark, jumps a little left and roll right into the hole!!  EAGLE!!

I'm now up 1 stroke going into the last hole and even better I'm only +7 which means breaking 80 (with a quad) in January is possible.  18 is a par 3 and in the past it's been a hole I choke on if i need it.  It's not really hard, but my nerves have got to me in the past.  However, today I put a 6 iron to about 15 feet and two putt for my 79.  My friend pars as well for an 80.  I'm really happy with this 79, simply because I managed to survive a blow up hole and still break 80.  Usually a hole like that means low 80s is about as good as I can expect.

Edited by baller7345

Driver - Cleveland CG Black 265
Fairway Wood - Adams Tight Lies 16 Degrees
Hybrids - 18 and 20 Degrees Adams Pro
Irons - 4-PW Adams XTD
Wedges - 52 and 56 degree Cleavland CG16

High of 55 yesterday in Philly and the course was in pretty good shape. It felt great to actually swing a golf club with a purpose for the first time in six weeks and it wasn't bad. Greens were hairy and slow and I left what I thought some pretty good putts on the lip but still shot 42-42-85. 

Bill M

44 minutes ago, phan52 said:

High of 55 yesterday in Philly and the course was in pretty good shape. It felt great to actually swing a golf club with a purpose for the first time in six weeks and it wasn't bad. Greens were hairy and slow and I left what I thought some pretty good putts on the lip but still shot 42-42-85. 

I hope I’m the bearer of good news...but I think you may have shot 84.

I got to play both Friday and Saturday of last week.  

Friday was at a course one of my golf buddies is a member at.  We played from 6484 yards with a rating/slope of 71.7/136.  I play here about once per month, so I'm familiar with the course.  A quick start was halted in a bunker near the 9th green.  I managed 42 - 44 = 86 for the day with a pair of birdies.  All-in-all... not a bad day.  

Saturday was at my home course.  Although short at only 6147 yards, it's a tricky little course with the greens being the defense.  The rating/slope here is 69.8/129.  Being my home course, I'm generally out here 5-8 times per month, depending on how busy I am with work.  We played a small, two-man best ball format with a total of 6 teams.  My partner, despite getting 10 strokes from the low index in the tournament, did not fare very well.  This left me to pick up a lot of slack.  I struggled early going double - bogey - triple to start... but settled down and went 45 - 40 = 85 with a single birdie.

Not horrible for winter golf.  I feel like my short game is coming around, which is going to be nice with the first tournament of 2018 next weekend.  Still a lot of work to do in my game, but... I'm happy with the progress for now.  

CY

Career Bests
- 18 Holes - 72 (+1) - Par 71 - Pine Island Country Club - 6/25/2022
- 9 Holes - 36 (E) - Par 36 - Pine Island Country Club - 6/25/2022

Shot an  +10, 82 today (37/45). Hit about six fairways. Had two doubles and a triple on the back nine, so obviously I could've posted a lower round.  Was hooking everything off the tee, but played to the numbers and laid up to every short par 4 except for one where I made a double. Here L.A. the City courses starting to charge more per round so it was like 80 bucks for my dad and I, and the course was in such bad shape you couldn't tell the fairway from the roughen certain holes.  But always a good layout.  Had a good time.  Next time I'm thinking on playing the back tees for the heck of it. Hitting driver in fairway 280 plus today so I think it would be fun to play the course at around 6900 yards. 

71 today.

5th under-par round of the month :-)

• Like 1

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

• Administrator
1 minute ago, mvmac said:

71 today.

5th under-par round of the month :-)

Impressive for anyone not named @kpaulhus. (Not impressive for @kpaulhus because he averages 57 rounds per month.)

:-D

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

1 hour ago, iacas said:

Impressive for anyone not named @kpaulhus. (Not impressive for @kpaulhus because he averages 57 rounds per month.)

13 rounds in January. Probably ties how many rounds I had for an entire year a while back :-P

• Like 1

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

On ‎1‎/‎4‎/‎2005 at 3:32 AM, flap said:

Played Cherry Creek Monday and it was a perfect day to play.54 degrees and no wind.Shot 41-40 and scrambled my ass off!!!

Cherry Creek Long Island? If so I played there last Saturday the 1/27/18. Unfortunately we had very windy conditions, like 20 to 25 MPH with higher gusts. Needless to say I didn't score anywhere near your score, shot a 47 & 50. The last hole, par 6, kicked my ass. Pulled it into the sump on the left, hard to get out of. But we had fun

17 hours ago, iacas said:

I know, right! I only got in 13 rounds in January. Slacking I swear!

Kyle Paulhus

If you really want to get better, check out Evolvr

:callaway: Rogue ST 10.5* | :callaway: Epic Sub Zero 15* | :tmade: P790 3 Driving Iron |:titleist: 716 AP2 |  :edel: Wedges 50/54/68 | :edel: Deschutes 36"

Career Low Round: 67 (18 holes), 32 (9 holes)

The group that I play with is all women who are new to golf.  We're not really good enough to keep score yet, so we count anything less than a double bogie as a happy face.  I got 3 happy faces on Thursday.:-)

• Like 1