IGNORED

What'd You Shoot Today?

iacas

Shot a 79 today and made the mistake on the last hole an easy par 5 that I would shoot in the mid 70 with a par.  So I got up and hit my drive out bounds and 3 putt for a snowman.  Lesson learned.  Never think on the last hole.

45 on a par 35. I work at a golf course now so i get to play free. It was busy, so I only played 9 to avoid the back whoch gets backed up a lot. I didnt have to pay so I dont want to make anyone else wait for me. 

No real excuses, iron play let me down. Though, it started raining on hole 6 so it turned from golf to “drive to my ball and hit it.” No excuse though I still took my time to plan my shot and line up. Just poor execution.

Just a side note. Now that I work at a course, I see just how bad some people really are. A guy i had the luxury of watching while shaving the tee boxes shot what I presumed to be over 150. I felt bad at first but he also kind of just walked up and hit the ball aimlessly and sometimes didnt get it more than a fot or two.

Edited by freshmanUTA

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Played in our Senior Scratch League today, me and my partner won 3-0 and the SGCC team won 7.5-1.5 versus Laurel Hill Golf Club. We remain undefeated. 😁

36-38-74 No Sixes Round

4 4 4 3 4 3 4 5 5 - 36   4 3 4 3 4 5 5 5 5 - 38 Bogey last two holes on front and last three holes on back - ugh!

Edited by jsgolfer
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

Played MidlandValley early yesterday to beat the daily weather we're having.  8" of measured rain at the airport for the month of May.

Play was extremely wet the front (started on the back actually) and into the second nine. Course cannot keep up with the growth, doing well to keep the greens, collars, and fairways in good playing shape.  anything off of the short stuff was easily lost and if played, the shot was to be played to end up in the cut fairway.  and my feet were wet too and yall know the routine of keeping the clubs and hands clean.

anyway, I have found a hybrid, callaway 3iron (used at BonaventureGolf $22 !!) and first time out with it.  So much rain, I haven't even taken it to the range yet.  after a couple really weak attempts at playing it in the tall and wet rough, I finally warmed up and started hitting the fairways.  It is a hammer, exactly what I needed and was hunting.

I got in a groove (like you get sometimes when you can swing so hard offa the tee that you grunt) and was very happy tee to green but I am a no-puttin ole boy, a problem mentioned in my opening post here.  Since re-starting my golf habit from a long lay-off, I s'pose it will come around but I'm a senior now and I get over the putting as long as I can lay the wood to it.

make a long story longer, 51-47, opening in the wet with trip double double and an early attitude to overcome.  fairly happy wit it.

51/44 95.

After a rocky start, I finally started enjoying a little control on all parts of the game. This hasn't been the case for the last few rounds and it was really starting to get to me.

Went back to an easy driver swing and hit 6 of 6 fairways (even though 1 was from a very lucky bounce).

The first of two penalties on the day came from a 5w off the tee which I found, but took an unplayable lie. The second was a 9i that went into the marsh on a tight par 3 and it wasn't a terrible shot. I hit the green on my provisional and 2-putted for bogey after not finding my first ball.

36 putts which I'm ok with. I made some mid-range putts, but didn't do that well on a couple of lags - one of which resulted in a 4-putt.

I was hitting greens pretty well for a change. Only 4 in regulation but I really had control from 120 and in. The misses were not all over the place as has been the case. I left a couple short and those were the misses I was willing to live with.

The absolute best part about today's round was that I didn't lose my temper once. This has got to the rule and not the exception. There were plenty of bad shots, but for some reason they just didn't bother me.

• Like 1

Jon

56 minutes ago, JonMA1 said:

51/44 95.

After a rocky start, I finally started enjoying a little control on all parts of the game. This hasn't been the case for the last few rounds and it was really starting to get to me.

Went back to an easy driver swing and hit 6 of 6 fairways (even though 1 was from a very lucky bounce).

The first of two penalties on the day came from a 5w off the tee which I found, but took an unplayable lie. The second was a 9i that went into the marsh on a tight par 3 and it wasn't a terrible shot. I hit the green on my provisional and 2-putted for bogey after not finding my first ball.

36 putts which I'm ok with. I made some mid-range putts, but didn't do that well on a couple of lags - one of which resulted in a 4-putt.

I was hitting greens pretty well for a change. Only 4 in regulation but I really had control from 120 and in. The misses were not all over the place as has been the case. I left a couple short and those were the misses I was willing to live with.

The absolute best part about today's round was that I didn't lose my temper once. This has got to the rule and not the exception. There were plenty of bad shots, but for some reason they just didn't bother me.

Some of the most satisfying rounds aren’t our best scores, but the ones were we grind it out even after a tough start. Great job @JonMA1!

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, HJJ003 said:

Some of the most satisfying rounds aren’t our best scores, but the ones were we grind it out even after a tough start.

Agreed. I think you had a round last week where you shot in the 80's but you weren't happy with the effort. Of course, I'd kill for a round like that but I can understand when you know the score could have gone lower. 

A few weeks ago I started out with one of my best 9 holes and ended it with a poor 9 hole stretch, kind of the opposite of today. The score for the 18 holes was one of my better totals, but I didn't feel very good about it. Finishing stronger is a lot more satisfying, IMO.

• Like 1

Jon

21 minutes ago, JonMA1 said:

Agreed. I think you had a round last week where you shot in the 80's but you weren't happy with the effort. Of course, I'd kill for a round like that but I can understand when you know the score could have gone lower. 

A few weeks ago I started out with one of my best 9 holes and ended it with a poor 9 hole stretch, kind of the opposite of today. The score for the 18 holes was one of my better totals, but I didn't feel very good about it. Finishing stronger is a lot more satisfying, IMO.

Your right. It’s amazing how two different rounds can get to the same spot at the end, but they leave very different tastes in your based on how ya got there. 

Well, I'm back to reality. After my 68 on Friday, Saturday was an 82, Sunday, 80, and yesterday an 80. It as nice seeing the handicap trend jump from 10.6 down to 9.4 after the posting of the 68, but now it's trending back to 9.9 after the latest scores. We'll see how I score on Wednesday.

Driver: Callaway Mavrik 9.5o - 3 wood: Callaway Mavrik 15o - 3 Hybrid: Callaway Mavrik 18o - Irons: Callaway Mavrik 4-PW, AW, GW, SW - Putter: TaylorMade T.P.A. X - Ball: Callaway SuperSoft - GPS: Garmin S20 GPS watch - Rangefinder: Bushnell Yardage Pro

75 after work yesterday (6320 yard (2nd tees, 71.4/126) par 71 local course, long par 5's and a bunch of target golf holes - it has a nice mix of holes really) - something is clicking for me and I am hitting very well - certainly getting fitted for my woods and hybrids is huge as those are now very solid clubs.  Hitting greens and confidence in my approaches is paying off.  So is the putting changes I made over winter.  I think I figured out my recent issues with contact on my long irons, no issues at least this round and the latest driving range session...

Very windy for the first 9.  Only one par, but a lot of regulation holes and simple up and downs when I did miss.

Having trouble hitting controlled draws for some reason.  So played it cautious and avoided trying to shape shots.  Seemed to help to just stick with a base swing and aim for that.  (no kidding)

Played a lot of hybrids and irons off of short par 4's - seemed to really pay off as I avoided the ugly approach shots by staying back from the trouble...

Edited by rehmwa

Bill - 

78/76 at my home course, been playing awfull the last few months, trending from +1 to 1 handicap this week.
Because of that and in order to start competing again i´m changing my hole swing, even with the putter.

Hey Guys!

Long time no post 🙂  After an extremely long winter, a cold spring and that pesky work thing, finally getting a chance to play some rounds.  Happy to see the net in the basement helped and have come out roaring with first full 18 hole rounds.

Shot 82, 81, 85, 79, 80 over the Memorial Day weekend and last weekend.  

In my bag: All Lefty clubs
Goldsmith driver I built 10 degree reg flex, Orlimar 14 degree 3 wood, 7 wood
Cobra Oversize 3 and 4 iron; Gigagolf Ion Control 5 iron through PW firm flex and 1 inch over with 3 degrees upright
Golfsmith SW that I built, steel shaft reg flex, Cleveland Tour Action Raw 60 with dynamic golf stiff
Scotty Cameron Teryllium Newport putter

Shot 115 on Friday and 111 on Sunday. 

Any questions ? 

Because I have a ton lol 

" No one succeeds without effort... Those who succeed owe their success to perseverance.

Let come what comes, let go what goes. See what remains. "

- RM

Well, let's see. Last week on Thursday I shot 42-44=86 at Windmill Lakes in Ravenna in wilting heat and humidity!  This is a course that features very large greens (7,000-8,000 sq ft), that are pretty quick and have a lot of contour. Putting is always a challenge there.

On Friday I shot a 41-43=84 at Walnut Run in more benign temps, but on a course that was sopping wet, having been hit by a monsoon the day before! My game is about where it should be this time of year. Looking forward to playing Thursday and Friday again this week.

• Administrator
On 6/5/2018 at 9:18 PM, Buckeyebowman said:

Well, let's see. Last week on Thursday I shot 42-44=86 at Windmill Lakes in Ravenna in wilting heat and humidity!  This is a course that features very large greens (7,000-8,000 sq ft), that are pretty quick and have a lot of contour. Putting is always a challenge there.

That's not accurate… They're under 5,000 square feet. I checked in Google Maps (@NatalieB has had tournaments there).

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Played 9 holes this afternoon. Course was not very busy, so I was pretty much out there by myself. I could see other golfers, but none were close by. Shot a 41 with 4 pars, and 5 bogies.

Started off hitting straight pulls with my iron approach/pitch shots. I check my swing path which was fine. Kind of had me baffled until I noticed a difference in my posture, and grip. I was hitting the the ball with to much of a up right lie angle on the club. After I made adjustments, I parred the last 4 holes. 

My putting was pretty good, once I put the ball on the green. I seem to be making more longer putts in the 10-15 foot range. Not a lot more, just more. I think I owe this to my putting practice, by playing one ball from pin to pin. The practice pins are 10-15 feet apart. . 

Didn't lose any balls, so it was time well spent. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Played yesterday with work buddies at Little Mill in New Jersey as one of them is a member there. I scored a 135 on a par 71. It was my first ever proper score and I didn’t cheat. I have to start somewhere and clearly I can only get better from here..haha

:cleveland: Launcher HB driver (9 degree), Launcher HB 3 & 5 woods,  4H Launcher hybrids, CBX 5-GW, 54 & 58 degree wedges, :cleveland: RHO 35” :srixon: Z Star XV