IGNORED

What'd You Shoot Today?

iacas

I have a new personal best.  After many close calls I finally broke par.  Shot a (-2) 70.  Had 5 birdies and 3 bogies.  Probably shouldn't have had two of those bogies, but at the same time I lucked into a birdie on one of the par 3s.

This gets me back on the downward trend for my handicap, now trending to 6.5.  Don't really expect to do anything like this often, but hopefully this makes future shots at breaking par a little less nerve wracking.  I birdied the last hole to shoot 70, but even though the hole was driver, lob wedge its hard to do that when you are almost shaking due to being nervous.  It'd be nice if I could play without knowing my score, but alas that isn't possible for me.

• Thumbs Up 1

Driver - Cleveland CG Black 265
Fairway Wood - Adams Tight Lies 16 Degrees
Hybrids - 18 and 20 Degrees Adams Pro
Irons - 4-PW Adams XTD
Wedges - 52 and 56 degree Cleavland CG16

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

43-44. Quite the bi- polar round. Few birdies, some pars, some big numbers. Never quite got comfortable with my swing. I da felt like a lawn chair unfolding at times

A tale of two 9’s....44 on the front and 55 on the back. Horrible off the tee on the back and couldn’t buy a putt all day...and I would have paid handsomely for some of those to drop lol. Still good enough for a 22.5 differential (72.1/135), and my handicap should drop once again. Just hard to think about what could have been. 

Last night, I played golf with the president of the company I am employed by for the first time.  I had an awful front nine where I couldn't keep the ball in front of me off of the tee.  I had a better back nine.  I went 49-42 for a 91.  Oh and no big deal, but I did have my first ever eagle on the par 5 12th.  Needing 3 iron off of the tee to avoid the meandering lake that crosses the fairway twice, I was left with 216yd into the flag.  I pulled my 3 hybrid and striped a beauty of a fade to 3 feet.  Hardest 3 footer of my life but it dropped.

Shot a 46 to win my match 6.5 to 3.5 last night.  Felt good.

Always remember, the same country that invented golf and called it a game, invented bag pipes and called it music.

A bit of a schizophrenic round yesterday. Played the front in 39, w/2 birdies, a par, and the rest bogies. Par 35. First sub 40 nine I've had this year. Started the back nine triple bogey, double bogey, bogey! Was able to pull it together to finish the back with a 43, so 82 for the round.

Slightly better than what my HI says I should shoot, but what might have been without such a poor start to the back.

85, first round of club championship.  39 first nine, 46 with two doubles and a triple on the second nine.  On the second nine, played the even-numbered holes in a total of +2 and the odd numbered holes in a total of +8.  

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

This was a reply to my recent purchase of a set of Ping i210 irons and was going to be a review but it took an interesting turn ...

Update: I've been playing the i210's now for a week and have played several rounds on different course layouts and conditions. The i210's have been stellar. I don't know if this is just a honeymoon period or they really are that good. 

Yesterday I played a very tight par 70 mountain course with big elevation changes and many blind second shots. I was hitting the driver the best I have in years and had many wedges or short irons into the green from the blue tees (approx 6K yds). My best score on this course had been 74 (I'm a six index) and I shot a 5 under 30 (3 consecutive birdies and an eagle) on the back nine with a couple of missed under 10' birdie putts. Combined with a one over 36 on the front I shot 66 which is one less than my age! I haven't shot in the 60's since my college playing days back in the 70's and never went that low then so to say this round came as a surprise is a huge understatement. 

DId the i210's have anything to do with it? I can say that I love the look feel of them and I was very confident over the ball. The fast pace of play helped (played in 3.5 hours) but it was the best round of my life and suffice to say, the i210's have earned a spot in my bag ... ;-)

Shot a very up and down 78 today.  I've yet to not break 80 in August which is great.

I thought the day was going to be a complete wash, started off the day with a double bogey, then rushed what should have been a tap in eagle (walked up to it and just smacked it) and missed it, so while 1 over through 2 isn't bad, it could have been better.

Parred the 3rd, hit my 7 iron 200 yards and over the back of the green on 4 (I do that on 4 why too often) and doubled it.  Terrible short game and a 3 putt on the par 5 5th lead to my 3rd double of the day and I'm sitting at 5 over.  Ho hum par on the 6th, same for the 7th.  3 putt from 12 feet for bogey on the 8th (ugh), and after snap hooking my drive and approach on #9 I make the bogey putt for an awful 43 (3 doubles...).

Start the back off great....double the 10th (fourth double bogey).  Get on the 11th tee box and slice my drive into the hazard to the right...this round is looking bad.  Take my drop and hit an iron just left of the green.  Find out I left my 58* wedge back on 9, so chip it past the hole about 15 feet with my 52*, and finally make a putt for a crazy par on the 11th.

HIt my 4 iron fat on the 12th.  Try to play a low shot to avoid the trees for my approach, unfortunately hit some trees and left with a 40 yard pitch shot.  Pitch is about 18 feet out but straight down a hill.  I make the 18 footer for par (YAY!).  This putt was either make it or look at 20 feet back up the hill.

Get on 13 tee box and drive the green.  Proceed to 3 putt from 25 feet for par (Doh).

Chip in a birdie on the 14th, make a 16 footer for birdie on the 15th, almost drive the 16th and tap in for birdie (hey my round isn't looking so bad anymore).  Step up to the easiest hole on the course the short par 4 17th (made even shorter by being it off of a mountain).  Drive isn't too bad (pushed it a little right and got it too much up in the wind) it's 60 yards out just off the fairway.  This is the only shot where I wish I had my lob wedge.  I'm not 100% comfortable with my 58* from this distance and it shoes as I leave it a little short and go into the bunker.  Out of the bunker and two putt for bogey (+7).

Finish strong though, hit an 8 iron to 10 feet on the par 3 18th and make the down hill putt for birdie and a 78.  43 on the front 35 on the back with 4 double bogies...this game is weird.

Driver - Cleveland CG Black 265
Fairway Wood - Adams Tight Lies 16 Degrees
Hybrids - 18 and 20 Degrees Adams Pro
Irons - 4-PW Adams XTD
Wedges - 52 and 56 degree Cleavland CG16

Shot 83 today,  tied my best score at my home course. 👍. I have been taking lessons from our PGA professional, and it has made such a big difference in my game.  Was regularly in the 90’s, but most rounds start with an 8 these days 😁

In my Sun Mountain 14 Way Stand Bag:

Driver - Ping G30 10.5* : Fairway - Ping G30 18* : Hybrids - Titleist 915H 21* & 915 H 24* : Irons - Mizuno JPX 850 Forged 5 - GW : Wedges, Vokey 54.14, Vokey 58.12 : Putter - Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 or Ping Craz-E-R  : Ball - Bridgestone B330RX, Cart - Cliqgear 3.5

Played the last couple of days the first day at my local off the black tees that 7056 yards > 6 over HC

then the next at my old course I was a member at -played off the Blue tees > 2 over HC

https://www.queenstowngolf.co.nz/

Driving -Good some 300+ yard drives fairways hit 70%-80%

Irons/fairway woods -average some brilliant shots but just as many roughies(my best 3w recovery 240-250yd to within 3 feet of the hole)

Chipping/pitching - Woeful only a handful of decent shots here badly need to put some time and sort my issues is really mentally destroying my scores

Putting-average missing far too many easy 2-3 footers which I just don't do as much in foursome play as it forces me to slow-down

It was great playing the much harder Blue/Black tees and have found when I move back to the Whites I gain confidence 

Go Foxy Go

Played an 81 at our usual muni par 68 yesterday. 39/42. Managed 8 GIR's and 8 pars. 1 triple, 2 bogies. New swing thought yesterday-just be one with the club (Grasshopper). Have needed a little more distance on second/approach shots and spent an hour on full swing the day before, changing club face to slightly more closed and reducing takeaway slightly-feels more controlled somehow 

Saturday 8/11 my score was 83 over about 6000 yds. 68.5/115. I had 2 double bogeys, and 4 penalty shots. On 3 of the penalty shots I was able to save bogey. I had about 25 official putts, but a couple more where I putted from fringe. Overall, I was pleased.

My driver distance has improved, but I am still pretty inconsistent. I am thinking of cutting about 1/2--3/4" off the butt of the shaft to find the center more often. I think the slight decrease in leverage would be more than offset by more consistent strike.

Don

In the bag:

Driver: PING 410 Plus 9 degrees, Alta CB55 S  Fairway: Callaway Rogue 3W PX Even Flow Blue 6.0; Hybrid: Titleist 818H1 21* PX Even Flow Blue 6.0;  Irons: Titleist 718 AP1 5-W2(53*) Shafts- TT AMT Red S300 ; Wedges Vokey SM8 56-10D Putter: Scotty Cameron 2016 Newport 2.5  Ball: Titleist AVX or 2021 ProV1

Yesterday I shot 101. Pretty crappy round. My Iron game which has been a strength for me lately just disappeared, and the only ting I did well was putt. 

Shot a 41 (+6) last night in league which is exactly where my league handicap sits.  Unfortunately that 41 is largely because of the last couple swings I took... Hole 8 I had probably the longest drive of my life on that hole leaving me 100 yards in.  A fat, a hosel, and a misread putt later meant I had to drain a 25 footer for bogey which I luckily made.  Hole 9 I pulled my drive to be behind trees, hosel'd chip out, another hosel'd chip to still miss the green and then a tentative chip up left me with a double bogey.  So +3 in the last two holes and a +6 overall always leaves me with a bad taste in my mouth.  I was driving the ball extremely well yesterday too, so I should be happy about my round but it's tough with that type of ending.

Woods: Ping G15 10.5* Draw Driver;   Ping G Series 14.5* 3 Wood;  Callaway 2019 Apex 19* 3 Hybrid

Irons: Mizuno MP-33 4-PW

Wedges: Ping Glide 1.0 52* SS, Glide Stealth 2.0 56* ES, Hogan 60* SW

Edel E-1 Putter

I can't brag about a round I wasn't going to keep score on, but I started off well and decided to see how long I could keep it up. Ended up with an 85, which I believe is my lowest score to date.

Wanted to work on my short game today and I was happy with how that went. Really, everything was pretty good today. Driver is still weak but I'm keeping it in play. Made good contact with long and mid-irons and was able to start them on line. 3-putted a couple times but that was offset by making a couple long putts.

Only one penalty today and that - of all things - came off a fat 8 iron that failed to clear the creek. Dropped in front of the creek, hit a wedge to the center of the green and 2 putted for double. Can't ask for more.

You know that feeling when you have a good round going and you get to the last hole just knowing you're going to blow it but hitting a couple into the woods or something? Instead, I hit driver in the fairway, PW to just off the green and chipped in for a birdie. Best of all, it was the 2nd chip-in birdie of the round.

It nice to experience these rounds now and then. I'll try to take away something positive from it (which may have been a controlled tempo). But I have to remember there's a long way to go before this becomes anything normal.

• Like 1

Jon

1 hour ago, JonMA1 said:

I can't brag about a round I wasn't going to keep score on, but I started off well and decided to see how long I could keep it up. Ended up with an 85, which I believe is my lowest score to date.

Wanted to work on my short game today and I was happy with how that went. Really, everything was pretty good today. Driver is still weak but I'm keeping it in play. Made good contact with long and mid-irons and was able to start them on line. 3-putted a couple times but that was offset by making a couple long putts.

Only one penalty today and that - of all things - came off a fat 8 iron that failed to clear the creek. Dropped in front of the creek, hit a wedge to the center of the green and 2 putted for double. Can't ask for more.

You know that feeling when you have a good round going and you get to the last hole just knowing you're going to blow it but hitting a couple into the woods or something? Instead, I hit driver in the fairway, PW to just off the green and chipped in for a birdie. Best of all, it was the 2nd chip-in birdie of the round.

It nice to experience these rounds now and then. I'll try to take away something positive from it (which may have been a controlled tempo). But I have to remember there's a long way to go before this becomes anything normal.

Great Job Jon!

• Thumbs Up 1