IGNORED

What'd You Shoot Today?

iacas

3 minutes ago, dagolfer18 said:

I clawed out a rotten 111 today. I missed at least 3 or 4 four-footers, then I threw in a 12 to start out the round. 55-56. My brother played bad as well: 71-71 for a 142. Worst combined round in a long time. 

95% of the time for me, a double or worse is caused by #2 and #3. #1 will work its way into the mix occasionally, but I’ve definitely improved my course management, which is a good part of the mental part of golf. 

How old is your brother?  It appears he needs a little more range and practice green time... perhaps even a lesson.  Now there's a Christmas gift idea!

29 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:

How old is your brother?  It appears he needs a little more range and practice green time... perhaps even a lesson.  Now there's a Christmas gift idea!

He’s 13. He’s looking to play on our high school’s team next year, and my dad and I are trying to help him get good enough. He’s got plenty of time after school, as he gets out at 2:30. My dad would be happy to take him to the range when I go after school. He could probably use some lessons. One of the head pros is a good friend of ours and my coach’s son. He could get lessons at a discount.

Edited by dagolfer18

WITB:
Woods: Cleveland Launcher (Driver, 17 degree, 22 degree)
Irons: Titleist T200 (4-PW)
Wedges: Callaway Jaws (50/54/60)
Putter: Odyssey White Hot

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

13 hours ago, Double Mocha Man said:

It's not like you set out to make doubles.  Usually a double bogey is the result of 1) Faulty thinking,  2) A failed shot... combined with...  3) A failed putt. 

Pick 2.

In my case, #2 and #3, but majority of the time it is #2. When it is #3 it is usually because I simply don't take enough time and simply rushing my putts.

12 hours ago, dagolfer18 said:

I clawed out a rotten 111 today. I missed at least 3 or 4 four-footers, then I threw in a 12 to start out the round. 55-56. My brother played bad as well: 71-71 for a 142. Worst combined round in a long time. 

95% of the time for me, a double or worse is caused by #2 and #3. #1 will work its way into the mix occasionally, but I’ve definitely improved my course management, which is a good part of the mental part of golf. 

Something about those 4 or 5 footers that really aggravates. I kind of look at the cup and think, really? Especially when it rolls right on the edge of the cup.

13 hours ago, Double Mocha Man said:

It's not like you set out to make doubles.  Usually a double bogey is the result of 1) Faulty thinking,  2) A failed shot... combined with...  3) A failed putt. 

Pick 2.

Lately, I've been thinking it's #1, and #1. I just lose focus, and can't seem to get it back. Just somewhere in the middle of the swing, the thought process changes, and messes up that shot.

Then the focus comes back, and I will say, I made 2 spectacular sand saves for pars. I think it might just be too much golf, and lack of interest.

Driver: Callaway Mavrik 9.5o - 3 wood: Callaway Mavrik 15o - 3 Hybrid: Callaway Mavrik 18o - Irons: Callaway Mavrik 4-PW, AW, GW, SW - Putter: TaylorMade T.P.A. X - Ball: Callaway SuperSoft - GPS: Garmin S20 GPS watch - Rangefinder: Bushnell Yardage Pro

Only got 9 in today, but that is better than nothing. I think that this was only my second 9 hole round of the year. Shot a 49 on a par 35 half. Tons of great strikes, plenty of dumb mistakes. Tomorrow I should be able to get in a full 18, which might be the last round of the decade, unless the 28th-31st have decent weather.

• :titleist: 917 D2 9.5o EvenFlow blue shaft    :titleist: 917 F2 15o EvenFlow blue shaft    
  • :titleist: 818 H2 19o EvenFlow blue shaft 
  • :titleist: 712 AP2 4-PW
  • :vokey: 52/8o SM6 RAW    56/14o SM6 Chrome      60/4o SM6 Chrome
  • :ping: Anser Sigma G putter
  • :snell: MTB-Black Balls

I walked a 9 and got a 48. Made some nice long puts today. Things were really looking pretty good on the first four holes then I got behind a tree on my drive on hole five and trying the hero shot between two trees with about a foot between them, of course hit the tree and bounced behind other trees.

Took me five shots to get in the bunker at the green, but hit a nice bunker shot up on the green and two putted. All in all blew out with an 8 on a that par 4 - uggghhh. The nice thing was I made a birdie on hole seven which saved my game a little. I hit a nice drive and then 8 iron and landed about 3 foot from the pin and putted in. No lost balls today which was nice since the course has a lot of water.

Edited by luchnia
Correction

Took advantage of 43 and sunny weather today to get a round in. 43 quickly turned to 35 and by the end up the round, the greens were icing up. 

Front 9 was rough...53, but improved as we moved a long. I picked up a used draw bias driver a few months back and used it for the first time today after a couple of windy range sessions where I really couldn’t judge the trajectory of my shots. I hit way too left with it and ended up leaving it in my bag after the first 5 holes. Luckily I brought my old driver and my round improved.

Back 9 I shot a 43, only 1 double bogey. Hit the shot of the day on a 195 yard par 3. Hit a 5 iron about 10 feet past the cup. Also parred a 480 yard par 4, reached in two with a driver and 7 iron. It felt good to have things working for once.

On 12/21/2019 at 5:45 PM, dagolfer18 said:

Forgot to say something about my round. Normally, if I post a bad score, I say one shot that I was proud of. Here it is:

On the par-five 16th,  I was laying 4 over the green after nuking a 6I. With a severely uphill chip, I grabbed my 58 and flubbed the chip, and the ball came tumbling down the hill, still some 30ft away. Curved the putt in for a bogey. Really good bogey after topping two 3W in a row.

WITB:

7 hours ago, dagolfer18 said:

Forgot to say something about my round. Normally, if I post a bad score, I say one shot that I was proud of. Here it is:

On the par-five 16th,  I was laying 4 over the green after nuking a 6I. With a severely uphill chip, I grabbed my 58 and flubbed the chip, and the ball came tumbling down the hill, still some 30ft away. Curved the putt in for a bogey. Really good bogey after topping two 3W in a row.

Always nice to have several good shots during a round to make up for the nasty stuff. See your sentence about topping two 3W in a row made me think of a game I played when I topped my woods three times. For some reason I simply could not swing through with my woods. My buddy said, "What's up?" and I told him I had no clue. But after that third top, I hit them clean. Strange how that can happen.

I said last night that I would try and start goals 1 and 2 on my list (see “What Are Your 2020 Golf Goals?”) today, and I came close today. On the range before we teed off, I found that I was gripping the club too tightly, which was really screwing me up. Lightening my grip on the club helped a lot, and I hit the ball a lot better, giving me a 46-46 round of 92. Not a single ball lost. However, I can’t post this round without mentioning that I had THREE birdies today! Odds were severely against me on two of them. Here they are, in order:

1. On the fifth hole, the no. 2 handicap, I hit a nice drive down the left side and then nuked a PW over the green. Chipped in for the first birdie.

2. On #10, a par-5, two shots gave me a clear line to the flag. I hit a chippy PW to about seven feet and made the putt for birdie number two.

And finally, the best of the three:

3. #16, also a par-5, didn’t start promising. Topped my tee shot 100 yards Into the rough. Not ideal on the longest hole on the course (550 from tips, 523 from whites). I told my brother, “I have to catch this clean to have any chance at getting home in regulation. Nuked the 3W at least 250 yards out of the rough. Then a 6I to the front of the green and a nice curling 40-footer right into the heart.

I did indeed redeem myself from Saturday’s fiasco 😂.

• Like 2

WITB:

Played a nice, and easy 9 hole round with my Granddaughter today.

Shot 4 over 40. 5 pars, and 4 bogey 1s. Putted pretty well too with 14. 

Best part of the round was watching how well my newest golfing buddy has improved over the past 4 months. (10 strokes) She shot a 46 from the red tees. (2800 yards) 

It wasn't crowded which allowed us some short game discussions. She is getting really good with her green reads. She managed to chip in a 10' footer which produced smiles all around. 

Of course after the hdcps were figured in, I was stuck the ice cream bill. "Snickerdoodles" for eveyone. 

• Like 1

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

8 minutes ago, Patch said:

Played a nice, and easy 9 hole round with my Granddaughter today.

Shot 4 over 40. 5 pars, and 4 bogey 1s. Putted pretty well too with 14. 

Best part of the round was watching how well my newest golfing buddy has improved over the past 4 months. (10 strokes) She shot a 46 from the red tees. (2800 yards) 

It wasn't crowded which allowed us some short game discussions. She is getting really good with her green reads. She managed to chip in a 10' footer which produced smiles all around. 

Of course after the hdcps were figured in, I was stuck the ice cream bill. "Snickerdoodles" for eveyone. 

Now that your Granddaughter is getting so much better you're going to have to start asking for more strokes.  Which will make her feel good.  Happy Holidays to you Patch and to today's champion.

A beautiful sunny 77 degree Christmas Day here in Florida. Our course is formally closed to play today, but as a member we are allowed to play. Went out with a few of the neighbors this morning and carded a 79 (40-39). One double bogey, 5 bogeys, and 12 pars.

236 rounds played in 2019 so far, with 4 more rounds scheduled before the end of the year.

Anyone know if you can post a score for handicap purposes if the course if formally closed for business? The bunkers aren't raked, the greens aren't mowed, the holes are in the same place as yesterday.

Driver: Callaway Mavrik 9.5o - 3 wood: Callaway Mavrik 15o - 3 Hybrid: Callaway Mavrik 18o - Irons: Callaway Mavrik 4-PW, AW, GW, SW - Putter: TaylorMade T.P.A. X - Ball: Callaway SuperSoft - GPS: Garmin S20 GPS watch - Rangefinder: Bushnell Yardage Pro

Should have posted this a few days ago. During break in the weather pattern, we had the chance to play the TPC Champion course in Scottsdale. And, my friend, who is a member, paid!

Total 99,  Putts 30, 6 penalties from out of bounds, 2 water penalties,  46% fairways

Considering I never played there before, I felt fairly good. It was tough for me; I did not play it very well. The OB shots may simply be the result of trying to hit too hard.

No rain that day, but, it was quite cool and the course itself was somewhat wet.

I tended to pull it left; even the good shots were strong draws.

Will play TPC and I will plan it to e a warmer drier day.

In My BELDIN Green Bay Packer 1999 SUPER BOWL CHAMPION bag :  :ping: G410 Plus Alta Red CB 55 sr,  GX-7  (acting as a 3 wood)  :ping: 4H, 5H. Sr Flex   :ping:  G400 6i Sr Flex, G-Max 7i. 9i Sr Flex , Glide 2.0  Wedges (50º, 56º, 60º)  :touredge:  Chipper  :ping: Putter: Cadence Mid-TR 350g:bridgestone:  e12 for the items I try to hit on purpose.  :footjoy: on my feet and hands, US Embassy-Singapore hat on my head (with PACKERS, Brewers or UW-Badgers hats as options).

Today was not a good day score-wise. I shot 100. However, for those of you who’ve played this game for several years, as I have, bad rounds don’t exactly mean you hit the ball bad. I played at a course where there’s probably no more than 20 or 30 feet between the left/right edges of the fairways and trouble. There were two or three drives that I hit well, but they were a bit too far left. The only part about my game that I wasn’t happy with today was my putting. The greens were slow and wet today, which we weren’t expecting at all (it’s been at least two or three days since we last got rain). We were all My 3W and 5W kept my score from soaring. I hit several good tee shots and approach shots with them, and the 5W actually gave me my best shot of the day. So even though I crept into triple digits, I hit the ball well. The course we played today is just a bit more penal than my home course.

WITB: