IGNORED

What'd You Shoot Today?

iacas

108 from 6700 yards with vintage clubs (60s). Didn't hit the persimmons after the 2nd hole so it was lots of 2 irons to make it on the long par 4s and par 5s.

• :titleist: 917 D2 9.5o EvenFlow blue shaft    :titleist: 917 F2 15o EvenFlow blue shaft    
  • :titleist: 818 H2 19o EvenFlow blue shaft 
  • :titleist: 712 AP2 4-PW
  • :vokey: 52/8o SM6 RAW    56/14o SM6 Chrome      60/4o SM6 Chrome
  • :ping: Anser Sigma G putter
  • :snell: MTB-Black Balls

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

So excited for the posting window to open up yesterday in our area.  It was time to take my new "2" course handicap out for a ride...to the tune of a excruciatingly painful 85.  My short game is typically really good and it was just dog crap all day.  Granted, greens that are soggy and pock marked don't help, but it was horrendous. Can't wait to get back out there to hopefully get this out of my head and find something positive to think about.

Over the weekend played at a 9 hole 3-par executive course.  Hit 5 bogeys and 4 pars.  The longest hole is 114 yards uphill, with another of similar length but a bit downhill.  Lots of trees on the course so very few shots were ever clear from tee to green.  Most people go around with 9 iron onwards.  Treating it as a once a month course to go play so that I can focus on and hone my short game

Edited by pganapathy
additional info

What's in the bag

• Taylor Made r5 dual Draw 9.5* (stiff)
  • Cobra Baffler 4H (stiff)
  • Taylor Made RAC OS 6-9,P,S (regular)
  • Golden Bear LD5.0 60* (regular)
  • Aidia Z-009 Putter
  • Inesis Soft 500 golf ball

Finally broke 90 today (first time since I restarted golf last year), but what a wild ride. Was doing OK until a huge blowup on hole 13, at which point I figured I was done. But my last 5 holes went par, par, par, bogey, and then a final par needing a 10 foot putt, so I squeaked in with an 89. 

• Like 1

First match today! We played a shorter set of tees (par 36, ~2850 yards), because there were very few dry spots on the course. I had eight bogeys and a double for a 46. Could’ve been better, but it definitely could’ve been a lot worse. Recovery was the hero today. Ballstriking and putting were mediocre at best. We’ve got a home match on Thursday, but weather isn’t looking pretty, so we might get rained out.

WITB:
Woods: Cleveland Launcher (Driver, 17 degree, 22 degree)
Irons: Titleist T200 (4-PW)
Wedges: Callaway Jaws (50/54/60)
Putter: Odyssey White Hot

Me and some friends played 9 holes at our local course.  Shot 27 over which is terrible even for me.  Got a few boogys and doubles, just a couple of big blow ups.  The best part that?  Me and my friends laughing hysterically as I four putt on a par 4 for a 12.  Looking back on it, it's probably the most fun I've had playing golf in the 4 months since I started. 

78-72 (+6) another good score for this weekend. It´s so important to keep grinding after a couple of bad holes, the good ones are ahead of us.

I was +3 on the second round on the 8th tee, y birdied #8, #10, #11 and #12. -1 on the 13th tee. It felt good. 

Well, back at it today. Ended up with a 75. 2 double bogey's, offset with 3 birdies, 2 bogeys, and 11 pars.

Ordered a set of Callaway Mavrik irons today. Interested to see what happens.

Driver: Callaway Mavrik 9.5o - 3 wood: Callaway Mavrik 15o - 3 Hybrid: Callaway Mavrik 18o - Irons: Callaway Mavrik 4-PW, AW, GW, SW - Putter: TaylorMade T.P.A. X - Ball: Callaway SuperSoft - GPS: Garmin S20 GPS watch - Rangefinder: Bushnell Yardage Pro

85 on a par 56 executive using vintage clubs. 8 of 16 par 3s are over 200 yards with the longest being 259. Generally played ok and actually got the persimmons moving along well. @topoftheline89 was my playing partner and he managed to plug one on a 150 yarder with an old HighLoft MacGregor persimmon. My ball can be seen with its mark in the background 

20200304_175433.jpg

• :titleist: 917 D2 9.5o EvenFlow blue shaft    :titleist: 917 F2 15o EvenFlow blue shaft    
  • :titleist: 818 H2 19o EvenFlow blue shaft 
  • :titleist: 712 AP2 4-PW
  • :vokey: 52/8o SM6 RAW    56/14o SM6 Chrome      60/4o SM6 Chrome
  • :ping: Anser Sigma G putter
  • :snell: MTB-Black Balls

Today’s match was at our home course, front nine. I didn’t play well, and I shot a 49. Ballstriking was about the same as it was Monday (which wasn’t good), but this time I didn’t have many good recoveries to bail me out. I think that I am figuring out my driver a bit. Out of the four times I hit it today, I found the fairway three times. The fourth time was only about a yard off the right side. 

WITB:

Played the front nine again today, and shot another 49. This time, though, I finished with two bogeys and two pars, one pf the two pars being on the ninth hole, the same hole I parred yesterday. Lots of doubles and triples, mostly because of hitting iron shots fat. Woods, hybrids and wedges were fine, but the PW-6I were just fat all day (apart from the par-3s) which was bad, since I hit one of those clubs into probably six greens today. Everything else was okay. I finished up on the ninth green, and my ride wasn’t there to pick me up (and wouldn’t be for another 20 minutes because I finished a bit quicker than I thought I would), so I decided to play the ninth again, but this time with a 7I only. Right down the middle with the first shot. Caught the next one off the heel slightly, but I still had just under 130 in. Nailed the third shot about pin-high, 20 feet right. Two-putted for a par. Probably one of the best pars I’ve ever had, and just a fun challenge I like to do every once in a while.

Edited by dagolfer18

WITB:

Posting season doesn't start in Philly until next week, but yesterday was the first round i played without "paradise" rules this year. We did lift clean and place in our fairway because there was usually dirt on the ball but the course is in impeccable condition for early March. Greens have been cut and rolled and the fairways are firming up a little.

42-40-82 with two doubles. 

I was very pleased with this score, tied with my best score for all of 2019. One of my goals every year is to break 80 but I haven't done it in a while. I am in good shape for 67 but I have lost distance and was never long anyway. Hybrids are saving my game (Titleist H1's). And my short game, which was pretty good yesterday even without any chance to practice it this winter.  

Bill M

I struggled today...Shot a 95 at Royal in Slidell, LA.  Had broken 90 my previous 3 rounds but had some minor surgery (Dermatologist removed some stuff off my back and stomach so I had some stitches in both places) and I guess that affected my swing a bit.  I left 5 pars on the course by leaving putts inches short (not a result of stitches) and duffing a couple of chips...Oh well, gonna give it another go next week...

Last 4 rounds were pretty decent for me. (88-82-83-80)

That 88 I am pleading temporary insanity. No excuse for that number, other than we had great foursome of fun. That, and we probably spent to much time, and  money with the beverage cart lady.  

Averaging 4.6 strokes per hole keeps me competitive with most everyone I play with. Once in a while I get my butt kicked., which is fine. I enjoy watching better players than myself. 

No really bad shots, but nothing to brag about either. My 7W continues to be my savior in certain situations. Most of my "shots of the day" were putts. 

Had 122 putts for the four rounds (1.7 per hole) Putting and chipping are the strongest parts of my game.

Our home course had a short game tournament a while back. Placed 4th out of 22 participants for my effort. Won a dozen Pro-V 1s.

I have a couple more weeks of play, and practice before I get my eyes worked on. Hoping better eye sight will save me a stroke or two. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

81 (42/39) - only 7 GIR. 

😞

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

88 on Saturday at Southwinds, where I routinely shoot my best scores.

92 on Sunday at Boca Greens.  The wind was really going this weekend in South Florida. I bet the local official scores are all getting fluffed some.  I feel like my ball striking is really approaching where I want it to be.  I was killing the driver and the irons all weekend.  The par 5s tell it best. Let me show you...

1st.thumb.jpg.3ba338def65626c3d2e12bd0f0f536d0.jpg

This is the first hole.  I was hitting 6-iron on my second stroke (which ended up about a foot past the green), so this was like one of my my best drives ever.

6th.thumb.jpg.450cece92dc4ca2d1e15b9d50d35853e.jpg

This is the 6th.  Also, a fantastic drive followed by a decent 3-wood.

11th.thumb.jpg.146d0aca6c098da4c6f063384c9d9422.jpg

The 11th here was another good drive followed by the 4-hybrid.

17th.thumb.jpg.1165d0895571013bfe3b269bef536eec.jpg

BTW, this it 17.  It is a monster of a hole, well over 600 from the back tees.  We were on the blues, so not nearly as crazy.  My drive was a crappy hook that I got lucky on.  It hit a bush rather than sailed into the water.

So par on the 1st, triple on the 6th, bogey on the 11th, and bogey on the 17th after reaching or nearly reaching three of them in two.  This has become an annoying pattern.  I am a believer in the practicing and playing strategies being taught to us on this site.  But it is increasingly feeling like I have pushed it too far.  It's not that I do not practice the short game.  I just do not seem to be improving.

Edited by Cantankerish
I submitted by mistake

107 yesterday. Worst round of golf for me in a very long time. I also had my 1st professional lesson yesterday as well. Handicap and scores will get worse before getting better, but I know I’m doing it the right way

• Administrator

I was five under over a five-hole stretch, birdied the 16th, and bogeyed four other holes for a 2-under-par 70.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets