IGNORED

What'd You Shoot Today?

iacas

On 6/8/2020 at 3:37 PM, Vinsk said:

Another one of those rounds where I wonder why I bother. I dunno..maybe around 220. #1 drive down the middle ..beautiful followed by a shank into the water with a simple gap wedge to a large well manicured and soft green.

#4 par 5 beautiful drive, beautiful 3H lay up to about 110....shanked the gap wedge into the water ( another large, soft green.) #6 Par 5 same thing...drive, lay up golden...shanked the gap wedge into the water. #8 par 4 shanked my 6i approach.

Yada yada. Not one single hook, pull, slice or chunk. Nope. Shank after f****** shank. Think I’ll stop for a bit. Not enjoyable. Not nice to be outside in the swampy heat with mud flinging on every shot ( shank ). Crows were relentlessly infiltrating my cart. I had nothing so they flew off looking at me like the useless sob I was out there. I swear their hideous caws sounded like ‘Shank! Shank!’. F****** Chuck Norris.

I shank from time to time and have tried some things. I am sure you have tied everything as well as I know that the s word is something you mention a lot. The latest is actually something that I think has worked. My shank is typically when I take a full shot with one of my 4 wedges. I recently tried a closed stance instead of my typical open wedge stance. I heard that this keeps the rear leg and that side of your hip from moving towards the ball. So far so good.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Yesterday, my brother and I teamed up against two former teammates. It was a 4BBB match, but, because both our opponents were single-digit handicappers, they gave us a stroke a hole. I was +9 through 5, and we were down two. But I went par-par-bogey-par on the next four holes, which gave me 46 on the front, and we had a 1up lead.

After making bogey on 10 and 11, I got up-and-down for par on the par-3 12th, which stretched our lead to two. We lost 13 to a five where I made seven. Holes 14 and 15 were halved, leaving us with a 1up lead with three to play. At this point, my brother got too hot and called it quits. So it was up to me. I halved 16 with a net par (gross bogey) and lost 17 due to a thinned chip and a triple, meaning we would go to 18 all square.

After I landed my 6I tee shot on the par-3 just left of the green, my opponent (down to one on the other side as well) hit it on the other side of the green. I chipped up and two-putted for bogey, meaning my opponent had to make an eight-footer to send the match to overtime, most likely a puttoff or chipoff. He missed. We won 1up, an exciting finish. I ended up shooting 48 on the back for a second straight 94. Another round where I had to grind after a poor start.

WITB:
Woods: Cleveland Launcher (Driver, 17 degree, 22 degree)
Irons: Titleist T200 (4-PW)
Wedges: Callaway Jaws (50/54/60)
Putter: Odyssey White Hot

Shot a 94 today, honestly probably my best round striking wise this year. Had 6 three putts and 41 putts total, so that was a bummer, and taking 4 hacks to get out of a fairway bunker doesnt help anything, but aside from that it was a decent round. Against my better judgment and an empty course, I played the tips with my cousin whose around a 4HC, and man 7000 yards is no joke. 

• Like 1

89 on Sunday.  Overall, I am plenty happy with the score.  I still lose too many strokes to bad tee strokes, but I will take the number.  A year ago I would have been over the moon with an 89.  Now I expect to have a chance to break 90 every time I am out.

• Like 1

Played Hudson Mills this morning and after a bit of a shaky start I settled down and shot 77 (Par 71, 70.5/118). My play lately has been poor and my hope is this may start a trend in a positive direction.

Brian Kuehn

Shot a 79 (+8) today, with 3 doubles and was +5 after the first 3 holes, played the remaining 15 holes at +3.

Just some really poor short game shots in those first 3 holes, but settled down and ended up with 3 birdies on the round. The first was a two putt birdie on a par 5, second was a knockdown gap wedge from 115 to 3 feet on a par 4, and the third was hitting it to a foot from 73 yds on a par 5.

Pleased with how I battled back, but between those first three holes, a 7 on a par 5 on the back 9 with two penalty strokes, and a couple other sloppy bogeys I easily left 5+ shots out there.

• Like 1

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

Almost shot myself yesterday after a 5 hour and 15 minute round.

Was playing great til about the 12th hole then the wheels came off.  Just lost my patience and got out of rhythm.

Ended up shooting a 39 / 43 for an 82

2020-06-12_1220.png

Shot a 99, 54/45. This course bedevils me.  I cannot figure out the front 9.  If your ball lands on the wrong spot it can roll OB or you can lose it in the rough. I managed to lose only 1 ball on the front.  
The back 9 was fine. Ball striking was good, only 1 wayward tee shot and the approaches were mostly good enough for a two putt. Even had a 1 putt birdie on a par 5.

Still have to figure out the front. 🤷🏾‍♂️

Shot 85 today at my home course (par 71) I thought I was going to beat my best round ever of 83. I was +3 after the front 9 with 7 pars, but bad driving eventually caught up with me and I had only one par on the back nine and shot +11 on the back nine. Disappointed but it was my best round so far this year. 

Thursday was a 78, and yesterday, it seemed I couldn't find the swing and shot a 44 in the front, and was struggling in the back until the last 4-5 holes and then carded 3 birdies for a 38, totalling an 82 for the round. Today, those last couple holes from yesterday carried on and I shot a 74. Hope it keeps going.

• Like 1

Driver: Callaway Mavrik 9.5o - 3 wood: Callaway Mavrik 15o - 3 Hybrid: Callaway Mavrik 18o - Irons: Callaway Mavrik 4-PW, AW, GW, SW - Putter: TaylorMade T.P.A. X - Ball: Callaway SuperSoft - GPS: Garmin S20 GPS watch - Rangefinder: Bushnell Yardage Pro

Awesome round today! Two things added pressure to the round:

1) My mom was tagging along (she hasn’t seen me play since February), and 

2) My coach wanted a picture of the scorecard.

So my brother and I both hit solid tee shots off the first, and we were off. I made an up-and-down par on the first, then hit the green on the second and two-putted for par. Same on the third. I then made back-to-back doubles on four and five, going into a bunker on both holes.

Bogey-par-par on 7-9 gave me a 41 on the front, and I was excited going into the back nine. I was swinging it well. On to the tenth hole, where I caught a bad break on my second shot and had to make a 6-footer for bogey. The next hole was better, an up-and-down par. I almost got another one on the twelfth hole, but my par putt came up a roll short of falling.

Made a double on thirteen after nuking a 75-yard shot over the green. A bogey on fourteen due to a chip where I was a little bit too aggressive and ran it eight feet past. The par-4 fifteenth was probably my best hole of the day. I was laying two just off the green, and I was facing a difficult downhill chip. I landed it exactly where I wanted to, and it rolled to within a foot of the cup, so I salvaged a four there, which is rare for me on that hole, so I was very pleased.

On the sixteenth, I had 130 in after my second shot. I hit a 9I to the green and three-putted for bogey. On the 17th tee I did the math. Two pars (definitely not out of the question because of the way I was playing) would give me 83. A rocket driver off the tee left me just in the rough, a good lie, 135 yards out. With the wind with me, I hit a solid 9I that settled eight feet out. One in about a half dozen contenders for Best Shot of the Week. 

Reading over my putt, I thought to myself, “This would be a great three.”, and I rolled it dead center for birdie. Another three on the last hole would give me 82. We had to wait for a slow group to hit their tee shots and play out the hole. With a very low (for me) round clearly in reach, a bogey four would give me 83, I was a bit jittery on the last tee. My knees were wobbly, adrenaline was pumping. I took a 7I, which I knew was going to be enough. Honestly, I would’ve taken anything around the green, except for in the bunker. It took off extremely low, hit the bank and stayed dry. I couldn’t describe, in words, how relieved I was.

But I didn’t get up-and-down for par, or even make bogey. I nuked my chip to the other side of the green, adrenaline still rushing, and stubbed another chip. Lagged up to about 18 inches, went to tap in...and missed. Tapped in for a triple bogey and 85, still excellent for me, breaking my personal record by four. Knocked out another birdie on the challenge too, which was exciting. I feel that my game is ready for my tournament on Monday. But the weather isn’t looking promising, so if I don’t post on this thread Monday, the weather got ugly. 

WITB:

10 minutes ago, dagolfer18 said:

1) My mom was tagging along (she hasn’t seen me play since February), and 

2) My coach wanted a picture of the scorecard.

So my brother and I both hit solid tee shots off the first, and we were off. I made an up-and-down par on the first, then hit the green on the second and two-putted for par. Same on the third. I then made back-to-back doubles on four and five, going into a bunker on both holes.

Bogey-par-par on 7-9 gave me a 41 on the front, and I was excited going into the back nine. I was swinging it well. On to the tenth hole, where I caught a bad break on my second shot and had to make a 6-footer for bogey. The next hole was better, an up-and-down par. I almost got another one on the twelfth hole, but my par putt came up a roll short of falling.

Made a double on thirteen after nuking a 75-yard shot over the green. A bogey on fourteen due to a chip where I was a little bit too aggressive and ran it eight feet past. The par-4 fifteenth was probably my best hole of the day. I was laying two just off the green, and I was facing a difficult downhill chip. I landed it exactly where I wanted to, and it rolled to within a foot of the cup, so I salvaged a four there, which is rare for me on that hole, so I was very pleased.

On the sixteenth, I had 130 in after my second shot. I hit a 9I to the green and three-putted for bogey. On the 17th tee I did the math. Two pars (definitely not out of the question because of the way I was playing) would give me 83. A rocket driver off the tee left me just in the rough, a good lie, 135 yards out. With the wind with me, I hit a solid 9I that settled eight feet out. One in about a half dozen contenders for Best Shot of the Week. 

Reading over my putt, I thought to myself, “This would be a great three.”, and I rolled it dead center for birdie. Another three on the last hole would give me 82. We had to wait for a slow group to hit their tee shots and play out the hole. With a very low (for me) round clearly in reach, a bogey four would give me 83, I was a bit jittery on the last tee. My knees were wobbly, adrenaline was pumping. I took a 7I, which I knew was going to be enough. Honestly, I would’ve taken anything around the green, except for in the bunker. It took off extremely low, hit the bank and stayed dry. I couldn’t describe, in words, how relieved I was.

But I didn’t get up-and-down for par, or even make bogey. I nuked my chip to the other side of the green, adrenaline still rushing, and stubbed another chip. Lagged up to about 18 inches, went to tap in...and missed. Tapped in for a triple bogey and 85, still excellent for me, breaking my personal record by four. Knocked out another birdie on the challenge too, which was exciting. I feel that my game is ready for my tournament on Monday. But the weather isn’t looking promising, so if I don’t post on this thread Monday, the weather got ugly. 

Good shooting... I bet you wish you had the last hole to do over again.  Coach should have asked you for a video of your swing, not a pic of your scorecard.  What did he say?

13 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:

Good shooting... I bet you wish you had the last hole to do over again.  Coach should have asked you for a video of your swing, not a pic of your scorecard.  What did he say?

I definitely wish I had the last hole over. Well, not really the entire hole, but the second shot is what I think was crucial. My coach was thrilled for me, because he knew I was really close to getting in the 80s consistently, and he knew I wanted to get there badly.

Edited by dagolfer18

WITB:

1 minute ago, dagolfer18 said:

I definitely wish I had the last hole over. Well, not really the entire hole, but the second shot is what I think was crucial. My coach was thrilled for me, because he knew I was really close to getting in the 80s consistently, and he knew I wanted to get there badly.

Well, congratulations!  I can't wait to hear your account when you break 80.  July?  August?

18 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:

Well, congratulations!  I can't wait to hear your account when you break 80.  July?  August?

Thanks! Maybe not by the end of the summer, but I think I could go sub-80 by this time next year, if that long. One of my friends was like that. He was shooting low 90s about a year and a half ago, and now he’s shooting mid-high 70s. It’ll take a good load of practice, but I’m confident I can do it! I certainly want to be able to get to the point where I can break 80 consistently, with the occasional sub-par round. The journey will certainly be thrilling, and ill be posting in my blog either tomorrow or Monday, depending on whether my tournament is on.

Edited by dagolfer18

WITB:

Shot an 80 today at my new course (72.9/141) with 10 pars. I spent the last year focusing on improving just my driver and I am seeing great results now. Time to work on my short game. I also only played ONE ball today (and found 26 lost balls) - trying out the Titleist AVX and love it. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, dagolfer18 said:

@dagolfer18, congrats on your new PR round! 

Driver - Callaway Epic Flash, 3 Wood - Callaway Mavrik, 4 Hybrid - Callaway Big Bertha,

Irons - 5-AW Mavrik Pro's, Putter - Odyssey White Hot OG 1, Ball - Callaway Chrome Soft

32 minutes ago, Greg 504 said:

@dagolfer18, congrats on your new PR round! 

Thanks!

WITB: