IGNORED

What'd You Shoot Today?

iacas

74, as good as I hit it yesterday I felt like I've never swung a club on a few holes. Made four birdies.

IMG_3650.jpg

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

14 minutes ago, mvmac said:

I felt like I've never swung a club on a few holes.

Not to dismiss this....but I must say it’s somewhat comforting to hear that a player of your caliber experienced this. I know exactly what you mean but I always figured it’s my curse and nobody with any hope experiences this lol. It’s a strange phenomenon I’ve never had happen in any other sport I’ve played. Nice job with the four birdies! 

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

102 (69.1 / 130) at my new club. I hit my irons really well today which helped me get 5 pars.  Getting off the tee continues to be my primary issue. I've not taken my driver out the last few times, and rely on the 3w off the tee. I only hit 3 fairways and the green on 3 of the 4 par 3s. Poor driving lead to 5 penalities. Couple that with 4 3-putts, a few poor random shots, and you find a 102. I'm encouraged, considering how long it's been since I've played regularly. I think I'll get back to the 90s soon and if I can figure out how to hit the 3w/1w off the tee, I may start to make real progress. For now I'll continue to work at it and work on my short game. 

Edited by Chris Stewart

Driver: TaylorMade SuperFast 2.0 -- 10.5* Woods: TaylorMade SuperFast 2.0 -- 3w 15*, 5w 18* Hybrid: TaylorMade Burner SuperFast 2.0 Rescue -- 4h 21* Irons: TaylorMade Burner Plus -- 5-AW Wedges: TaylorMade RAC -- 56.12, 60.07 Putter: TaylorMade Spider Ghost -- 35" Ball: It's complicated.

94 on Friday, played poorly - probably even worse than that number suggests.

91 today on a very hard course for me (72.6, 133).  I had a fat approach shot on 15 and a few more that wandered left and right, but really only my putting was off today. I had four drives over 280 yards and only one that Went OB.

I suppose I knew it was temporary, but I was hoping that after 4 in a row below 90, my ship had come in.

Edited by Cantankerish

Shot a 92 and it was a definite tale of two nines. Shot 54 on the front, couldnt stop topping the ball, it was an utter disaster. Then go and shoot 38 on the back with 2 bogeys. I dont get golf man, swing felt the same all day but shots looked completely different. Still trying to work on stuff my evolvr coach gave me to do, but man this stuff is hard. 

82 yesterday with 10 pars, 6 bogeys and 2 doubles. Then today, an 83 with 1 birdie, 7 pars, 8 bogeys, and 2 doubles. Just can't seem to get the game back together.

Driver: Callaway Mavrik 9.5o - 3 wood: Callaway Mavrik 15o - 3 Hybrid: Callaway Mavrik 18o - Irons: Callaway Mavrik 4-PW, AW, GW, SW - Putter: TaylorMade T.P.A. X - Ball: Callaway SuperSoft - GPS: Garmin S20 GPS watch - Rangefinder: Bushnell Yardage Pro

I played a great front nine and a good back nine today. I made four bogeys and a birdie (a repeat of hole 6) for a 39. The back nine brought me back down to earth a bit, and I shot 46 for a total 85, matching my PR. I had nine putts on the first seven holes and was +1, but I was +12 on the last eleven and had 23 putts.

All three of my three-jacks today were after poor lag putts, one after I left a 45-footer twelve feet short. Don’t know what happened there. But other than that, I’m thrilled. 

Edited by dagolfer18

WITB:
Woods: Cleveland Launcher (Driver, 17 degree, 22 degree)
Irons: Titleist T200 (4-PW)
Wedges: Callaway Jaws (50/54/60)
Putter: Odyssey White Hot

96 on a course I have not broken 100 on this year.  Changed my strategy, used 4H on the tough holes and broke 50 on the front 9.  Second nine was cruising with bogies until the 15th hole.  It was hot and humid and my putting went bye-bye.  Good outing.  I broke 100 on that track!

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Thursday, July 2 - Pine Hills Golf Club - Winder, GA - 69.5/116

Shot another 91, but this one started off great with a 41 on the front nine, and then unraveled on two holes on the back nine - with a quadruple and triple bogey.  Nearly chipped in for birdie on the last hole.  Aside from those two holes, I made no higher than a double on any other hole, and started with two pars and made birdie on the par five seventh.  Getting better.

• Like 1

:ping:

• G400 - 9° /Alta CB 55 Stiff / G410-SFT - 16° /Project X 6.0S 85G / G410 - 20.5° /Tensei Orange 75S
  • G710 - 4 iron/SteelFiber i110cw Stiff • / i210 - 5 iron - UW / AWT 2.0 Stiff
  • Glide SS - 54° / CFS Wedge / Glide 2.0 SS - 58°/10 / KBS 120S / Hoofer - Black

:scotty_cameron: - Select Squareback / 35"  -  :titleist: - Pro V1 / White  -  :clicgear: - 3.5+ / White

July 6, 2020 – Lanier Islands Legacy Golf Club – 71.0/137 – Blue Tees: 6193 yards

Well… I’ve been hovering just above 90 for the past few rounds, but it finally happened… I broke 90!  I shot an 89 on a really difficult course, in a round that was interrupted several times by heavy rain, and took nearly five hours to complete.  I started off with a double bogey on the par five first.  I was over the green in three, and made a fantastic pitch out of the woods to give myself a chance at par, but I left my first putt well short, as the greens weren’t as lightning fast as the starter had told us.  I made up for it on the par three, 160 yard second by rifling a 7-iron right over the pin, and rolled my twenty-footer for birdie just past the hole. 

For the day, I only carded three double bogeys, and avoided triples altogether.  I played the four par threes at two over, after being seven over on the same holes last time I played here.  The two pars I made were the result of great tee shots that both looked like they had a chance at going in the hole.  The second par came on the tenth hole, and the blue tees were all the way back with the black tees, playing at a full 170 yards.  I hit seven of fourteen fairways, five GIRs, and was around the green on six other holes, on my way to five pars.  I took 37 putts, but my real improvement has come in my short game.  I may not have managed to get up and down from off the green, but I did a good job of limiting damage to just a bogey.

The only negative for the round was that the heads flew off my 6-iron on the sixth hole, and then my 5-iron on the eleventh, so the G30s are in the shop until Friday.  Luckily, the 6-iron held on long enough for the shaft to be vertical, otherwise it would have been in the lake. 

Practice is really paying off!  Handicap is down to 22.5.  Going to play River Pines tomorrow. 

Edited by bwdial
  • Like 1

• G400 - 9° /Alta CB 55 Stiff / G410-SFT - 16° /Project X 6.0S 85G / G410 - 20.5° /Tensei Orange 75S
  • Glide SS - 54° / CFS Wedge / Glide 2.0 SS - 58°/10 / KBS 120S / Hoofer - Black

:scotty_cameron: - Select Squareback / 35"  -  :titleist: - Pro V1 / White  -  :clicgear: - 3.5+ / White

Played 9 at H Smith Richardson. Shot a 42 (+6) which is my PB for 9 holes. 3 pars and 6 bogeys. Missed a few putts too which is crazy to think I could be threatening the 30s when last week I shot a 110. I think what helped was working the ball both ways on the range before hand and trying to work EVERY shot GW or longer. Kept me loose and content when the ball went the right direction instead of stressing when I wasn’t dead straight. Small fade with short clubs, draw with long clubs. Driver draw off the tee has been a huge weapon and instead of laying up before the bunker on tight driving holes, I’m hitting past it. Really hit home today how important tee to green is. 

• Upvote 1

Driver: Callaway Mavrik 10*

Wood: Callaway Epic Flash 17* 

Hybrid: Callaway Mavrik 20*

Irons: Callaway Rogue X 5i-GW

Wedges: Vokey SM8 54*S and 58*K

Putter: Ping Prime Tyne 4

Went 43-37 today for an 80 on a short, but very narrow and wooded course.

Positives - 9/18 GIR, gained 1.75 strokes on approach shots compared to scratch golfers, hit a 50 degree wedge from 127 to 2 feet for a tap in birdie, hit an beautiful knockdown 8 iron on a 155 yd par 3 to 8 feet.

Negatives - 34 putts, lost 3.94 strokes putting compared to scratch, missed at least 3 birdie and 3 par looks inside 10 feet, I was hitting my lines i was missing because of misreads, I was reading more break into nearly every putt and couldnt seem to make an adjustment. Other negative was off the tee, driver was pretty poor overall and 3 wood was below average, had a couple low (like head high) pulls that I haven't hit at all recently. 3 iron was solid enough to give me reasonable approach shots into the greens when I didnt hit driver or 3 wood.

• Like 1

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

78...New Record for me. And the funny thing is, I couldn't hit a putt to save my life...37 putts is by far the worst round of the year for me, but hitting 12 GIR was a big reason for that...I'm normally closer to 5. 

Next day I shot a 93. Love golf...

image.png

• Like 1
Ryan M

The Internet Adjustment Formula:
IAD = ( [ADD] * .96 + [EPS] * [1/.12] ) / (1.15)

IAD = Internet Adjusted Distance (in yards)
ADD = Actual Driver Distance (in yards)
EPS = E-Penis Size (in inches)

Riverpines Golf Club - 69.4/127 - Par 70 - Blue Tees

So, I did the thing again... that thing where I break 90... and shot an 87 on a tight, heavily wooded course that I've only played a couple of times, and had not played in about two-and-a-half years.  It was also the first time in that same length of time since I putted on bentgrass greens, which I did pretty well.

I managed to get around the course with only four double bogeys, and one of those was on a par five where I attempted to lay-up with a seven-iron, and discovered that it was too much club.  Otherwise, I hit a bunch of really good iron shots with everything in the bag, and I only really struggled with the driver.  I only hit six fairways, but I managed to make up for it with some really good approach shots that either got me on the green, or close to it.  I only hit three greens in regulation, but I was around greens in regulation - fringe, bunker, etc. - 11 times. 

I didn't hit a single poor iron shot all day.  The only poor results were a result of not knowing my yardages, which I plan on dealing with.  I also was using my old AP-1s, which are not as forgiving or long as my G30s, but I was still hitting them a long way.  With their narrower sole, I was worried about hitting shots fat, but I hit them really crisply all day. 

Putting was a bit of an issue, but most of the misses were due to pace on the bentgrass greens.  I had 33 putts, and only three putted twice.  Of course, those numbers are a bit skewed with putts, chips, and pitches from around the greens, but I hit several really good putts, both from distance, as well as from six to ten feet.  I made five clutch par putts, and only two of them were less than five feet.  Another positive that I took from this round is that I scored a stroke better on the back than I did on the front, and it was really hot and humid.

Confidence is growing... and my handicap is shrinking... down from 22.5 to 21.7.  I feel like if I go back out to Pine Hills now, that I will shoot in the low 80s, or possibly even break 80.

Edited by bwdial
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Went back to where I grew up today to play the 1st course I ever played. Was going into my freshman year of high school in summer of ‘93 the first time I saw the course and promptly barely broke 70 that day... for 9 holes. Fast forward to today and met up with an old high school friend who is a member. He had a pass to get me $24 off the round which would have normally been $34 for green fees and cart so I was already winning before I even hit my 1st drive.

Course opens with what I find to be the toughest hole on the course. 420 yard par 4. Ripped a driver down right side of fairway and have a 9 iron in which is certainly the shortest approach I’ve ever had there. I pushed the approach tho and after a decent chip I narrowly missed the par putt and opened with a bogey. Pars at 2-6 made the day look better tho. Horrible SW to a back pin at 7 I flew over the green cost me another bogey tho but bounced back at par 3 8th by sticking an 8 iron to 5 feet and rolled in the bird to get back to +1. Par at 9 gave me the lowest 9 hole total of +1 36 that I’ve ever posted on the course.

Back side wasn’t so great. Had to hit a stinger for my 2nd at 10 to stay under the trees left. Ran through the green and missed the par save. Par at 11 and 12 were lost opportunities. Drive left at par 5 11th left me behind a series of trees and although I only needed a 7 iron to reach in 2 I had to play right of the green and chip on. Drove the green at 12 and 3 jacked it for par. Lost opportunity. Still only +2 at that moment tho so freaking good. 13 my 9 iron off the tee left me short sided in a bunker and couldn’t make the save. Now I’m 3 over. Drive left at 14 and behind trees so no chance yo go for green in 2. Made par. 15 left my birdie putt so short I was fortunate to make the par. 16-18 were all bogeys.Great drive at 16 and wasted it by missing green with a gap wedge. 17 I didn’t use enough club off the tee. Flushed a 5 iron and came up a club short. 18 hit a bomb off the tee and missed green with a gap wedge.

End of the day a 77 is normally not something to complain about but I left several shots out there. Feel like I should have shot 72-73 today.

Edited by Dunit507
Miskey-spelling
  • Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

Ping G400 9 degree driver, 3 Wood and 3 Hybrid, Ping 2016 G 4-UW,  Ping Glide Forged Pro 52 degree, Ping Glide 2.0 WS 56 degree, Ping Craz-E Putter, Titleist Tour Soft balls

22 minutes ago, Dunit507 said:

Went back to where I grew up today to play the 1st course I ever played. Was going into my freshman year of high school in summer of ‘93 the first time I saw the course and promptly barely broke 70 that day... for 9 holes. Fast forward to today and met up with an old high school friend who is a member. He had a pass to get me $24 off the round which would have normally been $34 for green fees and cart so I was already winning before I even hit my 1st drive.

Course opens with what I find to be the toughest hole on the course. 420 yard par 4. Ripped a driver down right side of fairway and have a 9 iron in which is certainly the shortest approach I’ve ever had there. I pushed the approach tho and after a decent chip I narrowly missed the par putt and opened with a bogey. Pars at 2-6 made the day look better tho. Horrible SW to a back pin at 7 I flew over the green cost me another bogey tho but bounced back at par 3 8th by sticking an 8 iron to 5 feet and rolled in the bird to get back to +1. Par at 9 gave me the lowest 9 hole total of +1 36 that I’ve ever posted on the course.

Back side wasn’t so great. Had to hit a stinger for my 2nd at 10 to stay under the trees left. Ran through the green and missed the par save. Par at 11 and 12 were lost opportunities. Drive left at par 5 11th left me behind a series of trees and although I only needed a 7 iron to reach in 2 I had to play right of the green and chip on. Drove the green at 12 and 3 jacked it for par. Lost opportunity. Still only +2 at that moment tho so freaking good. 13 my 9 iron off the tee left me short sided in a bunker and couldn’t make the save. Now I’m 3 over. Drive left at 14 and behind trees so no chance yo go for green in 2. Made par. 15 left my birdie putt so short I was fortunate to make the par. 16-18 were all bogeys.Great drive at 16 and wasted it by missing green with a gap wedge. 17 I didn’t use enough club off the tee. Flushed a 5 iron and came up a club short. 18 hit a bomb off the tee and missed green with a gap wedge.

End of the day a 77 is normally not something to complain about but I left several shots out there. Feel like I should have shot 72-73 today.

Nice. I can't return to my first course... a par 3 extravaganza.  It's been developed into condos.  Same with the hole in Hawaii where I had my first hole-in-one.  It's been developed into condos

1 minute ago, Double Mocha Man said:

Nice. I can't return to my first course... a par 3 extravaganza.  It's been developed into condos.  Same with the hole in Hawaii where I had my first hole-in-one.  It's been developed into condos

I live about hour and 15 min away from where I grew up so I try and get back at least twice a year to play. Always fun to play and think about how far my game has come in years since I started. Some changes at the course too. Some trees out. Some tee boxes moved- some holes shorter or longer. I don’t play there a ton and this was the closest to my A game I’ve ever brought back home with me. Unfortunately for me my buddy I was playing with had a good day as well. I don’t shoot 77 and lose very often.... but he fired off a 74 today. Fun to play well against someone else who is also playing well tho!

• Like 1

Ping G400 9 degree driver, 3 Wood and 3 Hybrid, Ping 2016 G 4-UW,  Ping Glide Forged Pro 52 degree, Ping Glide 2.0 WS 56 degree, Ping Craz-E Putter, Titleist Tour Soft balls

2 minutes ago, Dunit507 said:

I live about hour and 15 min away from where I grew up so I try and get back at least twice a year to play. Always fun to play and think about how far my game has come in years since I started. Some changes at the course too. Some trees out. Some tee boxes moved- some holes shorter or longer. I don’t play there a ton and this was the closest to my A game I’ve ever brought back home with me. Unfortunately for me my buddy I was playing with had a good day as well. I don’t shoot 77 and lose very often.... but he fired off a 74 today. Fun to play well against someone else who is also playing well tho!

Even though I can't play the courses I played starting out I always think, with new equipment and better golf balls, better technique and more meat on my bones, it would be interesting to bomb my tee shots to places I never reached as a kid.  But alas...