IGNORED

What'd You Shoot Today?

iacas

On 11/28/2020 at 6:16 PM, Rkrider99 said:

and then the chilly air comes in with highs of 60. I think I'll hang up the clubs until it warms up.

On 11/29/2020 at 8:40 AM, bkuehn1952 said:

Despite the marginal weather (40 degrees, 10 mph and overcast), we had a decent time. 

The contrast between these two posts makes me laugh.

It was upper 40s at the start of my last round at like 9:30AM, ended the round in the mid 50s and I told my buddy had it been sunny I would have been comfortable in shorts!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Well, when you live in Florida the year round, and it drops to the 60's, it feels like the 40's to us. When I lived in Wisconsin, we played in the snow and sleet, and temps under 40, but these days, I can wait for an extra day or two for it to get back to the 70's or above.

Back to the topic, yesterday was a so so round at 80 (41-39). Today's match play started with rain and wind. We delayed the tee times by an hour, but it was still a mess. I started out bogey, double, double, bogey, so I'm 6 over after the first 4 holes, and our opponents are killing us. Things got warmer, the rain stopped, the sun came out, and we warmed up to near 70. Finished with a 43-36 for a 79, and we ended up winning the overall match by 2 points.

Hey, I'm a fair weather golfer, what can I say?

Driver: Callaway Mavrik 9.5o - 3 wood: Callaway Mavrik 15o - 3 Hybrid: Callaway Mavrik 18o - Irons: Callaway Mavrik 4-PW, AW, GW, SW - Putter: TaylorMade T.P.A. X - Ball: Callaway SuperSoft - GPS: Garmin S20 GPS watch - Rangefinder: Bushnell Yardage Pro

Played the home course today - temps: upper 40's-low 50's; wind blowing steady 10-20mph from the West (tail wind going out, head wind coming in).  First time playing in these conditions, in fact my son and I were the only ones on the course.  Observation 1: Warm up, A LOT, before starting the round, really stiff on the first few holes (sucks being older); Observation 2: play a lower compression ball, especially if your swing speed is like mine!  Honest 10-20 yards difference in across the board; Observation 3: club up, for example I normally hit a 5iron on the par3 12.  After seeing the short shots all day, I pulled the 4h and was roughly the same distance I would have been with my 5i; Observation 4: Play to the wind, be patient on the tee, on the greens, wait for the occasional lull to take the shot; Observation 5: Enjoy the round and the new challenges colder weather brings.  Too many double and triples to have a great score, but still managed a 105.  Bright spot was in that the greens were holding.  Managed to keep putting strokes to 37 total. 

Ping G400 SFT 10deg  R flex
Ping G410 3w R flex
Ping G400 3h and 4h R flex
Taylormade SLDR 5i thru PW graphite shaft R flex
Cleveland CBX wedges - 50, 54, 58 or 52, 58 (depending on my mood)
Odyssey Versa or White Steel #5
Srixon Q Star

Not even close to my best stuff today. My bro and I played seven holes (1-3, then skipped over to the nearby 6th tee). It was 45 degrees when we teed off, and with the wind blowing, it felt a lot colder. I started okay, going double-bogey-bogey to start. Then when we skipped over, we ran into a couple of our friends, one of which is the one that tries to get into my head. 

Also around that time, I started to lose feeling in my hands. I finished with a double and three triples, bringing my total to a horrendous +15 for seven holes, and my bro shot +19. I probably would’ve shot mid 50s if we had played all nine. Not a good showing, but I’ve got a good chance to redeem myself when we play with the team tomorrow.

WITB:
Woods: Cleveland Launcher (Driver, 17 degree, 22 degree)
Irons: Titleist T200 (4-PW)
Wedges: Callaway Jaws (50/54/60)
Putter: Odyssey White Hot

Well, not my best stuff today either. I played with my brother and two teammates. My bro led me by four going into the fifth hole, but I cut his lead to three on the fifth, tied him on the sixth (I made par, he made triple) then ran away with it on the last three holes and closed out a three-stroke win. The teammate who I’m ultra competitive with led the entire time and beat me by seven. He shot 44, I shot 51 and my bro 54. Here’s our scorecards:

PAR: 4-4-3-5-4-4-3-4-5—36

ME: 5-8-4-8-6-4-4-6-6—51

BRO: 5-5-4-7-7-7-5-9-5—54

Long game was solid, and irons were good, but chipping and putting (21) were crap. I did duck-hook one OB on the second hole, but that was my only terrible tee shot of the round. I’ve gotta hit the range.

WITB:

Shot 87 this morning, with 14 GIR/nGIR, 30 putts, and 1 penalty stroke. Looking at my card after the round I had a high event hole on each 9, for a total of +6  on those holes. Also had 3 poor pitch shots that landed short of the green, resulting in another attempted pitch, and if I had to guess, those cost me 3 strokes. Overall okay by my standards, as I work on my new feel.

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

Shot a 79 yesterday, that I wasn't necessarily proud of. Started out great. It seemed so easy, a 38 on the front 9, then for some reason, lost my swing on the back and carded a 41 with 2 double bogeys. and a bogey.

Today, I made up for it with a pair of 37's, for a nice 74. 2 bogeys, 6 pars, and 1 birdie per 9. Nice consistent golf.

Driver: Callaway Mavrik 9.5o - 3 wood: Callaway Mavrik 15o - 3 Hybrid: Callaway Mavrik 18o - Irons: Callaway Mavrik 4-PW, AW, GW, SW - Putter: TaylorMade T.P.A. X - Ball: Callaway SuperSoft - GPS: Garmin S20 GPS watch - Rangefinder: Bushnell Yardage Pro

Scored 80 today to tie my personal best with 13 GIR/nGIR, 31 putts, and 2 penalty strokes. Started off poorly with a triple bogey on the first hole, but got around pretty well after that.

Since I started working on a new feel for transition I have been hitting driver poorly, so I mostly bunted the ball around the course with hybrid and irons off the tee today. Not a huge change since I only hit driver on 6 holes at the most, but I need to revisit the LSW strategy on some holes, because the way I played today left me in a lot of spots where I had a good chance at a GIR/nGIR.

Had a great chance for 79, but made a dumb double bogey on the 18th hole when I hit a partial wedge a bit further than I planned and the ball ended up well over the green (wanted the ball to fly 85 yards, flew 95 instead). Chipped on from a bad lie and almost made a 15 foot putt to save bogey and break 80 but it stopped 2 inches short.

• Thumbs Up 1

-Peter

On 11/29/2020 at 8:14 AM, Esox said:

My new goal is to  break 60 at a local 18 hole par 3 course (par 54. Tiny, beaten up crowned greens, ankle high rough if you miss the green. Longest hole is a 9 iron.....) Playing that little course has really helped me dial in my short game.

Well that was fast. 55 today. Greens sucked, slow and lumpy, but very receptive to a 2 hop and stop shot. Had to quit playing my TP5's after the second hole. Greens were so soft spin control was an issue. Calaway Chrome Soft was just right.,  I couldn't miss a put inside of 12' for a while there, just bang it at the cup. 6 birds, 5 bogies, one double. No chip ins. No par 72 courses open near me.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Upvote 1

After Sunday's round, I just knew that there are golf gods that just like to screw with you.

First 9, I just couldn't do anything wrong. Hit it over the green on the first hole, chip it back into the hole for a birdie. Pars on 2 and 3, bogey (my only screwup) on 4, pars on 5, 6, 7, 8, and 9 for an even 36. I knew it was going good when I duck hooked my ball into the trees on 9, punched out to the right, put the ball on the back of the green, and was looking at a 50 foot putt. I just picked a spot on the green I wanted to putt to, and it ended up dead center in the cup.

That's when the golf gods turned on me. On the back 9 it was bogey, bogey, bogey, par, bogey, bogey, bogey, bogey, par, for a 43. I guess I can't complain about a 79, but what causes that shift in game?

I did redeem myself on Monday with a pair of 37's for a 74.

Well, today’s round was interesting. I doubled the first, needing to get up and down from 40 yards to do so. But then for the rest of the front nine, I made five bogeys and three pars, meaning a 43 for the front. 

On the back, I played okay except for holes 14-16, where I went double-triple-double. Because I shot 49, I played the other six holes at +6. A 92 normally isn’t a terrible round for me, but after my front nine it felt like a bit of a letdown.

Putting was pretty good (32 total), but chipping let me down badly on the back, and there were three instances where my chip ran through the green, and it’s not because I thinned it. I hit six fairways on the day, and only two on the back. Not a bad day of golf.

WITB:

Pretty happy I got to play a round on Friday 12/11. Nothing spectacular. 38/41. Driver was not my friend. Missed fairways right and right of right. Pretty sure it’s my right elbow connection. Playing partner suggested it on 18 and it makes sense to me. Luckily course is fairly open so my right misses weren’t to destructive to scoring. Got in the way of people playing other holes once or twice tho. Hit some really good shots with irons and wedges which was felt satisfying after about a week and a half since last round. Greens weren’t rolling all that great to no surprise. Drained a long par putt at 3 but otherwise didn’t really make a thing. Guess I should just be happy that I got to play in December.

• Like 1

Ping G400 9 degree driver, 3 Wood and 3 Hybrid, Ping 2016 G 4-UW,  Ping Glide Forged Pro 52 degree, Ping Glide 2.0 WS 56 degree, Ping Craz-E Putter, Titleist Tour Soft balls

44 minutes ago, Dunit507 said:

Missed fairways right and right of right.  Luckily course is fairly open so my right misses weren’t to destructive to scoring. 

On my course that might have been a 99.  😁  Trees left, trees right, trees in the middle of the fairway.  If you go too deep into the woods you are guaranteed a sasquatch encounter...

Edited by Double Mocha Man
  • Upvote 1

Shot a 91 (ESC to 90) with 9 GIR/nGIR, 7 penalty strokes, and 26 putts. Got in with 42 on the front, but the score was deceptively good for how poor I was hitting the ball. The 49 on the back was more representative of my play today.

Lower back was super stiff so didn't feel like I could make a good turn or get through the ball at all. Felt like Tiger Woods reaching down to pick up the tee. Tried to play a shorter, slower swing, but just couldn't make anything work. It was also cold, wet, and windy which didn't help. Lots of standing water and mud, and the wind was gusting at times in the 2-3 club range if I am guessing right.

Played poorly all around, but particularly poor on the par-3 holes, where I had 2 doubles and 2 triples. Also had a train wreck of an 8 on a par-4.

Added a birdie for the TST birdie challenge, so something positive.

-Peter

83 on Friday and an 80 yesterday. Way too many double bogeys. I'll work on that today.