IGNORED

What'd You Shoot Today?

iacas

First round of the year on a regulation course. It was horrid. Absolutely humiliating. Tee time it was 41 degrees out. I hit my best drive of the day on #1, sneaking a draw around the corner on a 395 yd par 4.  Ended up with a bogie after I over clubbed my approach too much, allowing for the cold and my old age and stiffness.  Promptly started spraying the drives everywhere. Second shots were usually pretty good recoveries, even if not allowing me to hit the green in regulation. Everything was just a little out of sync, and my swing speed was all over the place. Right wrist hurt, back hurt like hell. Nothing new there. I can usually muster a consistent enough speed for the arthritic day to properly club myself. No........... hit a 3 hybrid 190 one hole, 240 the next, and there wasn't much wind to make the difference. Same thing with the irons, no consistent swing speed. I ended up shooting 92, and of it wasn't for really good pitching and chipping, I could have easily been over 100. The season is young. But I'm not. LOL

Played a new course today that I’ve wanted to play for a while! It’s called Challenge Golf Club, and that pretty much summed up the course. Scorecard below, we played the green tees.

I shot 48 on the front, going +6 on a four-hole stretch where water was in play on every shot. For some reason, ramming putts six to eight feet past was a theme for this side. The back was better: I shot 43, including a strong finish, even par on the last four holes.

I shot 91 total, which I was pretty darn happy with. This is mainly a position golf course, so it played longer. Awesome course if you’re in the RDU area!

5C5505D3-B0C3-43CE-B3F9-1457CFCD6179.thumb.jpeg.b7811e3f0bc6002c2b3c1884c3cf2074.jpeg
A259A2AF-707C-4AC0-8E1F-7C6F31DD0BA2.thumb.jpeg.0f87810aafdc6269937d0315694c7a14.jpeg

• Thumbs Up 2

WITB:
Woods: Cleveland Launcher (Driver, 17 degree, 22 degree)
Irons: Titleist T200 (4-PW)
Wedges: Callaway Jaws (50/54/60)
Putter: Odyssey White Hot

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

5th time out for the year and I had not played bad yet for the year. I was due for a disaster... many factors. 42 degrees. Hit too many balls on the range ahead of time and tired myself some. 4th time out since Tuesday and mentally and physically played too much for this early in season. The golf itself I don’t even know where to begin. We started on 10. Weak fade right. Missed gap wedge short left. Skulled chip... bogey. That was one of my better holes. Yanked my drive left into someone’s yard on 11. Reloaded and hit a high fade into the water down the right side. Laid up with a 6 iron to 80 and bladed over green from there. Chip and 2 putts and a strange looking number on the card. Blasted my drive at 10 OB right into the driving range. Another crazy looking number. 13 I changed it up and hit a high draw 7 iron into the par 3. Not the preferred shot when you are aiming left for a fade.... Stayed in play buy against a fence and unplayable. I made a par at 14. That’s when my buddy got a call from his dad and found out his grandma had a stroke. We left. I was looking for an excuse to leave. 

Ping G400 9 degree driver, 3 Wood and 3 Hybrid, Ping 2016 G 4-UW,  Ping Glide Forged Pro 52 degree, Ping Glide 2.0 WS 56 degree, Ping Craz-E Putter, Titleist Tour Soft balls

82 today, with 13 GIR/nGIR, 3 penalty strokes, and 28 putts. Carded an 8 on #2 after a tee ball OB, and an approach into a red staked hazard, but settled in after that. One birdie on the front and one on the back, but no new birdies to add to the 2021 birdie challenge. Missed a short birdie putt on the par-5 #13 that was annoying, but overall putting was good today. Made sloppy double bogeys on #17 and #18 that cost me a chance to break 80 for the second week in a row.

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

87. 40+47.  Back 9 ate me up.  Actually, it was really just 16 (carded a 9) that was terrible: tee shot into trees, had to hit it low... hit it too low into the edge of the cart path, ricocheted into water. Next shot... into the fairway.  ...and then sliced into water.  😭  Consistency is still a ways away...  Had a birdie on a short par-4 on the front 9. Hit a few good shots here and there.  Average putting (for me - would be lousy for others!).

Got out for the first round of the year yesterday. 50 degrees but a constant 20mph wind made for some tough conditions.

That being said, it was one of the best ball-striking rounds of my life, no penalty shots or lost balls, and felt in complete control over where my shots were going which was pretty surprising being the first time out and as windy as it was. I hit a number of really high quality long iron and hybrid shots.

Went 38-38 for a 76 which included two 3-putts (one after driving the green on a par 4) and two lip outs. 2 birdies, 6 bogeys, no doubles.

12/18 GIR and 8/14 fairways

Really pleased with that round looking forward to a good season!

Edited by klineka

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

I played my first 9 last week Tuesday. 

It was at Eagle Sticks GC in Zanesville, OH. First time I've ever played there. My iron game was on point. But the driver was crazy wild all over the place. I was never really sure if it was going to draw or fade. 

2 birdies, 2 pars, 4 bogeys and my first snowman of the year on the par 4, 8th hole. (I made an 8 on 8, kind of poetic.)

On the par 3 hole number 2, I hit 9 iron to a 142 flag. It bounced once and hit the stick. Left me a couple inch long putt for birdie. I would have loved for it to go in, but then I would have been left with a tricky moral dilemma as I was playing alone. 

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

After my last post on February 27th, I played another 13 times. Couldn't get out of the 80's. Even had our Club Championship, which I shot an 82, 83, 87, which left me wondering why I was even out there.

Then today, for some reason, it all came together. A pair of 37's for a 74. Front 9, 1 bogey, 8 pars, back 9, 2 bogeys, 1 birdie, and 6 pars.

Wish I knew what causes the change, and maybe I can turn it on or off when needed.

A day off tomorrow, then the Men's Club Stroke Play Championship on Wednesday.

Driver: Callaway Mavrik 9.5o - 3 wood: Callaway Mavrik 15o - 3 Hybrid: Callaway Mavrik 18o - Irons: Callaway Mavrik 4-PW, AW, GW, SW - Putter: TaylorMade T.P.A. X - Ball: Callaway SuperSoft - GPS: Garmin S20 GPS watch - Rangefinder: Bushnell Yardage Pro

23 hours ago, klineka said:

Got out for the first round of the year yesterday. 50 degrees but a constant 20mph wind made for some tough conditions.

That being said, it was one of the best ball-striking rounds of my life, no penalty shots or lost balls, and felt in complete control over where my shots were going which was pretty surprising being the first time out and as windy as it was. I hit a number of really high quality long iron and hybrid shots.

Went 38-38 for a 76 which included two 3-putts (one after driving the green on a par 4) and two lip outs. 2 birdies, 6 bogeys, no doubles.

12/18 GIR and 8/14 fairways

Really pleased with that round looking forward to a good season!

Given the wind and being so early in the season that is a very nice day! Should give you a lot of confidence for the next time out. I played pretty well my first couple rounds of the year but went 4 times in 5 days and it was too much too soon. Sunday to Tuesday away from the game for me this week with plans to get back out there Wednesday afternoon!

• Thumbs Up 1

Ping G400 9 degree driver, 3 Wood and 3 Hybrid, Ping 2016 G 4-UW,  Ping Glide Forged Pro 52 degree, Ping Glide 2.0 WS 56 degree, Ping Craz-E Putter, Titleist Tour Soft balls

I played 12 holes yesterday.

The first three holes were in practice: we played holes 10, 11 and 18 (they’re aerating the front nine this week), and I went bogey-par-bogey, the par after a chunked approach and a beautiful 50-yard pitch and run that died about three feet out.

Then I went back and played the back nine again and shot a sloppy 48. Despite a triple on 13 (three putt from below the hole 😑), I was +5 thru 15, having made a nice up-and-down par on 15, but I choked the last three holes. I also ran into a slow threesome on the 12th tee, and it took me just under two hours to play the last seven holes after playing the first two in about 15 minutes.

First conference match is less than a week away!!

WITB:
Woods: Cleveland Launcher (Driver, 17 degree, 22 degree)
Irons: Titleist T200 (4-PW)
Wedges: Callaway Jaws (50/54/60)
Putter: Odyssey White Hot

First time out this year. I've played about 6x in the last 3 years; my goal is to change that. I've only managed to hit a few times on my simulator here and there.

A friend and I walked 18 over the weekend. 84. 2 birdies. Greens were punched and sandy, snow white. I also lost 4 shots due to two hazards an an OB; and I had three 3-putts, as well as a few 2-putts that should have been 1-putts but for the punched/sandy greens. Also because of the greens, I had some pitch shots that didn’t react on the green like normal, resulting in some 2-putts.

Not the score I was looking for, but it was nice to get out and play. When I have time, I plan on fixing what went wrong.

44-42-86

First time swinging a golf club in 2021. It has been too cold and then we were covered with snow for around 7 weeks.

It went pretty well. The course had the tees up a little, so it played around 6200 yards.

I hit 12 of 14 fairways, which was the real highlight and I three putted four times. The three putts were bad because the first putts weren't really that hard and were all on greens that I hit in regulation. The greens surprisingly had a little speed to them. 

Bill M

My ten year old Nephew is currently staying with us for a few days. We live on a golf course and I like to play 3 to 5 rounds a week. I asked to have my young nephew have permission to ride with me in our Tuesday morning foursome in the hope that I could get him to disconnect from his video games and other electronic "tethers". I also wanted for him to see the various aquatic birds and alligators along our course.  I wanted us to just be together on the course. He doesn't own clubs (yet). 

To begin, I talked with him about etiquette. I taught him where to stand when others were teeing off. I showed him how to respect the other players in our foursome. Honestly, I didn't think that he would last all nine holes without getting bored. To my surprise, he didn't once complain, he was a perfect gentlemen and my friends (all of us retirees and Grandfathers) were completely impressed by his behavior.

Why am I mentioning this here? To remind everyone the importance of introducing this love of the game with our young people.

What did I shoot today? Honestly, I forget. I played well but I forgot the score.

Because for once in a very long time for me, numbers weren't really that important to me.

Fairways and Greens,

Frank

• Thumbs Up 1

Fairways and Greens,

Frank

18 minutes ago, Frank F said:

My ten year old Nephew is currently staying with us for a few days. We live on a golf course and I like to play 3 to 5 rounds a week. I asked to have my young nephew have permission to ride with me in our Tuesday morning foursome in the hope that I could get him to disconnect from his video games and other electronic "tethers". I also wanted for him to see the various aquatic birds and alligators along our course.  I wanted us to just be together on the course. He doesn't own clubs (yet). 

To begin, I talked with him about etiquette. I taught him where to stand when others were teeing off. I showed him how to respect the other players in our foursome. Honestly, I didn't think that he would last all nine holes without getting bored. To my surprise, he didn't once complain, he was a perfect gentlemen and my friends (all of us retirees and Grandfathers) were completely impressed by his behavior.

Why am I mentioning this here? To remind everyone the importance of introducing this love of the game with our young people.

What did I shoot today? Honestly, I forget. I played well but I forgot the score.

Because for once in a very long time for me, numbers weren't really that important to me.

Fairways and Greens,

Frank

It’s why my grandson plays regularly with my son, his dad, and I.  Also my youngest son will tag along from time to time.  I have kids I coached in baseball who now have kids of their own where they have them tagging along as well.  

• Thumbs Up 1

Ping G400 SFT 10deg  R flex
Ping G410 3w R flex
Ping G400 3h and 4h R flex
Taylormade SLDR 5i thru PW graphite shaft R flex
Cleveland CBX wedges - 50, 54, 58 or 52, 58 (depending on my mood)
Odyssey Versa or White Steel #5
Srixon Q Star

I was so close. I only shot par over 9 holes once last year I already did that last week for the second time but yesterday was the closest I've been to breaking par and I blew it dramatically. Now the course isn't even open yet and its very wet with greens that are covered in tons of debris so I know it is going to happen soon once conditions improve.

I started off par par with a birdie putt left 2 inches short on 2, 3 is a very short par 4 only about 230 to get to the green but its over water and guarded by a willow I hit a 4 hybrid that I actually caught a little thin but put it to about 8 feet and made the putt for my first (of hopefully many) eagles of the year, 4 and 5 were tough pars and 6 I put to about 8 feet but missed the birdie putt. 

I was tracking it and I had never been multiple under par this deep into a round. 7 is a short straight par 4 where the tee box actually lines you up OB left which is just about 10 yards off the fairway I tried hitting a 5 wood to be safe and tugged it about 5 yards OB. Re teed and hit it into the right rough got up and 2 putted for double.

8 and 9 are birdie holes but I tried to do too much. 8 is a lot like 7 with OB left not far off the fairway so I pushed it pretty far right and ended up behind a pine about 50 yards from the green. I should have just hit it to the right and might have been able to catch part of the green but instead I tried a hero shot and go over the tree at the pin, which I did get over the tree i was only able to hit it about 30 yards leaving me a short up and down but couldn't sink the par putt. 

Knowing I needed eagle to break par I made some dumb decisions on 9. I pushed my drive right, the fairway falls off pretty dramatically so I had a pretty steep uphill lie out of the rough. I tried to hit my 5 wood to get it somewhere near the green but topped it about 50 yards and wound up under a bush that I had to punch out of. I followed that up an awful 9 iron that went way short right, then made a pretty sick up and down for bogey lol

image.png.47a37ddcba6d74c28a3ca6cf50d2b5e3.png

So I shoot the 74 on Monday, and follow it up with an 87 today. Why, Why, Why????

Driver: Callaway Mavrik 9.5o - 3 wood: Callaway Mavrik 15o - 3 Hybrid: Callaway Mavrik 18o - Irons: Callaway Mavrik 4-PW, AW, GW, SW - Putter: TaylorMade T.P.A. X - Ball: Callaway SuperSoft - GPS: Garmin S20 GPS watch - Rangefinder: Bushnell Yardage Pro

17 minutes ago, Rkrider99 said:

So I shoot the 74 on Monday, and follow it up with an 87 today. Why, Why, Why????

Our swing is fine, we’re putting well and it’s not the ball!  But our mind gets in the way.  Shot 75 yesterday, 81 today. Same course. Started with a birdie, a 35 on the front. 4 doubles on the back 9 that I easily had par on those holes two days ago!   

Tomorrow is another day!

• Like 1