IGNORED

What'd You Shoot Today?

iacas

Played terrible today with 96 total score (ESC down to 94). Had every miss possible in play; hook, thin, fat, slice, shank, push, pull. 6 GIR/nGIR, 6 penalty strokes, and 8 holes with double bogey or worse. I did have two chip ins and a couple nice drives, but that's about it.

Started off with a great drive on the first hole, and kind of went downhill from there.

Gonna chalk this up to a really sore neck from yardwork yesterday...hopefully.

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator

Let's see…

I played the front nine from the black tees at WW. 35 on the front nine (birdied 7), and then we skipped around and played only two holes on the back: par on 14, a par three, par on 18, a par four.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

We played nine holes today in practice and I shot a smooth little 42 (+7, playing the fourth hole as a par-4 from the reds). The highlight of the round was a span of about a hole and a half. Sitting two about ten feet short of the fifth green, I hit a nice pitch shot that stopped a foot from the hole, leaving a tap-in par. Then on the sixth, I hit my approach to about twelve feet and made the putt to knock off another birdie on the challenge. 

My brother also played pretty well, as you’ll see in the scorecard below. He shot a 54 (+19) with a triple-double-triple finish. A really solid day for both of us! I’m hoping to get out for 18 Wednesday morning because there’s a chance for isolated thunderstorms in the afternoon.

F2ED778D-9DDB-4BF7-916A-7EDF618DD27C.thumb.png.15641d9e3222fd9e74e231588e2d065f.png

WITB:
Woods: Cleveland Launcher (Driver, 17 degree, 22 degree)
Irons: Titleist T200 (4-PW)
Wedges: Callaway Jaws (50/54/60)
Putter: Odyssey White Hot

This was last Monday, but when I tried to post, my laptop crapped itself and I had to buy a new one.

Pine Hills Golf Club - 68.4/113

I shot a 40 on nine holes.  Full disclosure; I played the front nine, which is the easier of the two.  It is pretty wide open and linksy, and you can get away with being leaky off the tee.  On the other hand, I was playing with a my nine-year-old daughter, eight-year-old daughter, and two eight-year-old sons.  Yeah... four kids under ten, playing golf on a real course for the third time.

It was a solid 40 - five pars and four bogeys - that really could have been better.  The greens were ridiculously slow, and several putts died in the jaws of the hole.  I hit six out of seven fairways, five GIR, and four NGIR.  The only fairway I missed was in the trees on the right on the fifth hole.  I pushed my three wood, but had a clear shot which I punched to the front edge of the green.  Overall, my ball-striking was vastly improved, and I have become so much more confident with an iron in my hand.  I really only mis-hit one shot all day, and it was with the driver.  I donked it off the heel, and left myself with about 225 yards to the green on a par four, but I hit the shot of the week to make a spectacular GIR.

Sugar Hill Golf Club - 69.1/129

On Thursday, I followed it up with a 49 at my Spark Golf league match.  Obviously a much tougher and tighter course.  Lots of trees and water, and very undulating fairways.  Also, faster - if inconsistent - greens.  I only hit three fairways, and one of those was a sliced drive that ricocheted into the fairway.  I had two GIR and three NGIR.  I really struggled off the tee with the driver except for the fourth hole, which I piped about 270 yards to the center of the fairway.  I followed that with a gorgeous wedge over the flag.  Sadly, I knocked the putt about six feet past the hole and made bogey. 

I'll be back at it on Thursday, and hopefully, I can improve.

Edited by bwdial

:ping:

• G400 - 9° /Alta CB 55 Stiff / G410-SFT - 16° /Project X 6.0S 85G / G410 - 20.5° /Tensei Orange 75S
  • G710 - 4 iron/SteelFiber i110cw Stiff • / i210 - 5 iron - UW / AWT 2.0 Stiff
  • Glide SS - 54° / CFS Wedge / Glide 2.0 SS - 58°/10 / KBS 120S / Hoofer - Black

:scotty_cameron: - Select Squareback / 35"  -  :titleist: - Pro V1 / White  -  :clicgear: - 3.5+ / White

I shot a 75 today against my opponent's 71 in team match play. He did have to give me 5 strokes, so theoretically, you could say I beat him, but my team partner didn't fare so well, shooting an 85 to his opponents 80, having to give up one stroke, so we lost the overall match.

Driver: Callaway Mavrik 9.5o - 3 wood: Callaway Mavrik 15o - 3 Hybrid: Callaway Mavrik 18o - Irons: Callaway Mavrik 4-PW, AW, GW, SW - Putter: TaylorMade T.P.A. X - Ball: Callaway SuperSoft - GPS: Garmin S20 GPS watch - Rangefinder: Bushnell Yardage Pro

Shot 92 yesterday on a course I get 15 shots on, so net +5. Not hopeless, but I have a lot to work on. 

Fairways 4/14, greens 5/18 and 33 putts, 3 doubles and 2 tripples tells a lot. 

This was my best hole (even with the 3-putt) (490y par 5): 

172954429_509639640044217_6612222857574932571_n.jpg?_nc_cat=108&ccb=1-3&_nc_sid=58c789&_nc_ohc=QjbcfemGl84AX_vRn7m&_nc_ad=z-m&_nc_cid=0&_nc_ht=scontent.xx&tp=6&oh=ad24f460da0a58a099976cd97c6e919b&oe=609C95C6

305 yard drive to mid fairway

174 yard 8i to 15 feet (above the hole)

The downhill putt was too long and it ended with a 3-putt par. Very happy with the 2 shots to the green! 

My homecourse opens this season, so I will squeeze in a couple of rounds then.    

Edited by Troy Ocker

In the bag: Callaway Mavrik SZ 10,5 driver (X stiff), Cobra King 4 wood (Stiff, 2006 model), Callaway Mavrik irons 4 - P+A (stiff), Cobra King Pur wedges 52, 56 and 60 (stiff) and Odessey white steel putter.  Very happy with the set and the gapping. 

Another not hopeless round of 93 with a lot to work on yesterday. 

Fairways 5/14, Greens 5/18 and, 37!! (only one 3-putt) putts, with 6 doubles and a tripple. 5 balls in the water and not making a single putt outside 5 feet is not the recipe for success... 

I definitely make a lot of good shots, but with 50% of my teeshots missing left (18% right) I know what I need to work on. 

Edited by Troy Ocker

In the bag: Callaway Mavrik SZ 10,5 driver (X stiff), Cobra King 4 wood (Stiff, 2006 model), Callaway Mavrik irons 4 - P+A (stiff), Cobra King Pur wedges 52, 56 and 60 (stiff) and Odessey white steel putter.  Very happy with the set and the gapping. 

I'm going to throw a ticker tape parade when I finally break par over 9 lol can't believe how close I've been and haven't been able to do it. This is probably the closest I've came with great birdie looks on 6-9 and hit good putts just couldn't get one to fall. 

image.thumb.png.33ccf7e57bce062d4998dc7fa8e8c591.png

image.thumb.png.12461e25d60a020da968f28080b07056.png

• Like 1

I’ve played 36 holes in the past few days: 18 on Tuesday afternoon, 18 Wednesday morning. 

Tuesday: 18 holes at the home course. Played with a buddy for the front nine and we had a heck of a match. I held a two-stroke lead with one to play, and that proved to be enough: I bogeyed to close the front with a 48, nothing better than a bogey, and he parred the hole to finish at 49. Then I made the turn to the back. It was a super inconsistent performance.

I made four pars, a bogey, a double, two triples and a 10 on the par-4 14th. That means a 51 on the back and a 99 total. I had to go +2 on the last four holes to stay under 100, with pars on the last two difficult holes. 

I honestly hit the ball well, but when I missed it was in all the wrong places. I couldn’t get a bounce to save my life. But as I’ve said, I want to have one thing I’m proud of in the round even if everything else is trash, so here it is:

I parred the tough par-4 15th. Hit a nice 5W to the middle of the fairway, then I hit a nice 9I onto the green and two-putted, and I nearly made the birdie putt.

So there’s my round from Tuesday, now to Wednesday!

Wednesday: I decided to switch it up a bit and play Hillandale. After the first two holes, it looked like another near-100 round, because I four-putted the first hole for double and made a nine on the second hole. I played well on the rest of the front except for one hole and shot a 50. Two pars were in the mix, both of which could’ve easily been bogeys due to long birdie putts.

But on the back nine, I found my game again after 27 holes of mediocre-at-best golf. A streak of solid bogeys from the tenth to fourteenth holes put me in a good position to close. And I did...sort of. I parred the next three holes, meaning I could still shoot a 90 with a birdie on the par-5 18th. I was just short of the green in three after a duffed second, and then I duffed the chip. Chipped on from there and two-putted for a double. Despite the closing double, I still shot 43 on the back for a 93 total. I’ll take it!

I just recently started working weekends at Croasdaile Country Club, and I get one 18-hole round every three or so shifts. This weekend will mark four shifts, so I’m hoping to get out there one day next week!

WITB:
Woods: Cleveland Launcher (Driver, 17 degree, 22 degree)
Irons: Titleist T200 (4-PW)
Wedges: Callaway Jaws (50/54/60)
Putter: Odyssey White Hot

A new personal goal accomplished this morning as I played the front nine at one of the local courses I will play more of this year.  What was that goal - to walk the nine instead of riding a cart.  I have been wanting to walk it but with the transmet amputation on the left foot (no toes/grafted skin) I was concerned to that it might break down after that many steps and up/down grade changes.  To build up to it I have worked to walk steadily in the back yard hitting the ball etc. trying to get 5-6k of steps in most days.  This course plays right at 3,200 yards from the whites on the front nine, so my trek count including the side to side steps was just over 4,400.  How did I shoot - a solid 45, 9 over par.   I was concerned that it was going to be much worse as I started bogie, bogie, double, double.  Then a couple of pars in a row, then another double, bogie and par to finish on 9.  First time every - 3 pars, 3 bogies, 3 doubles, makes for truly bogie golf!

The course is much different as you walk it and I thoroughly enjoyed making the trek.  Greens were super saturated as I was one of the first out and they had been heavily watered, in fact #7 had a small pond behind the cup - a great way to see how the green undulates!  Driver was best club of the day, 3wood the toughest, putter decent given the super sloggy slow nature of them. 

image.png

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Ping G400 SFT 10deg  R flex
Ping G410 3w R flex
Ping G400 3h and 4h R flex
Taylormade SLDR 5i thru PW graphite shaft R flex
Cleveland CBX wedges - 50, 54, 58 or 52, 58 (depending on my mood)
Odyssey Versa or White Steel #5
Srixon Q Star

55 minutes ago, WillieT said:

A new personal goal accomplished this morning as I played the front nine at one of the local courses I will play more of this year.  What was that goal - to walk the nine instead of riding a cart.  I have been wanting to walk it but with the transmet amputation on the left foot (no toes/grafted skin) I was concerned to that it might break down after that many steps and up/down grade changes.  To build up to it I have worked to walk steadily in the back yard hitting the ball etc. trying to get 5-6k of steps in most days.  This course plays right at 3,200 yards from the whites on the front nine, so my trek count including the side to side steps was just over 4,400.  How did I shoot - a solid 45, 9 over par.   I was concerned that it was going to be much worse as I started bogie, bogie, double, double.  Then a couple of pars in a row, then another double, bogie and par to finish on 9.  First time every - 3 pars, 3 bogies, 3 doubles, makes for truly bogie golf!

The course is much different as you walk it and I thoroughly enjoyed making the trek.  Greens were super saturated as I was one of the first out and they had been heavily watered, in fact #7 had a small pond behind the cup - a great way to see how the green undulates!  Driver was best club of the day, 3wood the toughest, putter decent given the super sloggy slow nature of them. 

image.png

Congrats!  You are a brave and motivated man.  Keep it up, stretching it a bit every time you play.  A lot of folks would have just given up the game.  

46-43-89

The 43 was with two birdies. Almost every time I am out of position off the tee I make a double bogie. My lack of length gets me in big trouble if I don't hit fairways.

Bill M

12 minutes ago, phan52 said:

46-43-89

The 43 was with two birdies. Almost every time I am out of position off the tee I make a double bogie. My lack of length gets me in big trouble if I don't hit fairways.

Two birdies on the same nine has to feel good! Congrats  :-)

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

2 minutes ago, woodzie264 said:

Two birdies on the same nine has to feel good! Congrats  :-)

Yeah, but usually when I make two birdies on the same nine I will shoot 40 or below. 43 was not so good. It included an ugly triple with no penalty shots. 

Bill M

1 hour ago, Double Mocha Man said:

Congrats!  You are a brave and motivated man.  Keep it up, stretching it a bit every time you play.  A lot of folks would have just given up the game.  

Thanks - actually the game came to me as I was a die-hard motorcyclist (which is where I lost the toes).  Not knowing at the time of the wreck if I would ever walk this is a personal goal that I wanted to achieve.  I hope to be walking all 18 by the end of the season.  Thankfully the courses in Eastern NC are pretty flat 😁

• Like 1

Ping G400 SFT 10deg  R flex
Ping G410 3w R flex
Ping G400 3h and 4h R flex
Taylormade SLDR 5i thru PW graphite shaft R flex
Cleveland CBX wedges - 50, 54, 58 or 52, 58 (depending on my mood)
Odyssey Versa or White Steel #5
Srixon Q Star

Homecourse finally opened today, and I finally played some good golf

image.thumb.png.b3d1bc4e56021e84002c1474c7ff6c4b.png

Played from the front tees (5350 yards, rated 68/slope 137, par 72) today, and maybe thats what I needed. Stroke the ball well and apart from on 5 and 15 I did no big mistakes. Stressfree golf 😎

Edited by Troy Ocker

One of my best 9holes ever. I attribute it to having no expectations. 

I played the front 9 of Sedona Golf Resort (new course to me), with rented clubs, at elevation of 4300ft (as opposed to VA) which required adjusting for club distances differences and shot a 39 (3 bogies, 1 birdie: 170yd par 3 to 4ft putt).

Fairways: 5/7

Greens: 5/9

putts: 15 (SGP: 0.18)

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

Shot an 86 and 88 the past two days with 2 birdies in each of those rounds. About to head out to course this afternoon that I've never played. I'll post how I do when I get back.

Driver - Callaway Epic Flash, 3 Wood - Callaway Mavrik, 4 Hybrid - Callaway Big Bertha,

Irons - 5-AW Mavrik Pro's, Putter - Odyssey White Hot OG 1, Ball - Callaway Chrome Soft