IGNORED

What'd You Shoot Today?

iacas

Played the weekly clubtournament yesterday: A stableford tournament from the yellows (6300 yards, Rated 72,7, slope 147)

Shot 86 (36 stableford points). A pretty good round, but it was far from a perfect round. 

Positives:

- No lost balls (despite hitting one in the creek on 8 (found it, but had to take the penalty and a drop there)

- Played solid through the 2 hardest stretches on the course. Hole 5-7 (+1) and hole 13-14 (E)

- Birdie on the tough 13 (390 yards par 4 playing into wind  with a narrow teeshot and the approach playing 15 yards downhill) after a good drive (275 yards) into the wind to the right side of the fairway and a perfect soft AW from 120 that landed a foot short of the pin and jumped a couple of feet back to 3 feet. That shot looked like it was going in.

- Only hit 3/13 fairways, but none of the missed fairways was by more than 5 yards and only one cost me a shot (on 16 where I had to chip it back to the fairway). So all my misses were pretty much in the right places. 

- Hit 8 greens (14 nGIRs). Good, but not great. 

- The round took my index south of 10,0, so new my new index is now 9,9

Negatives: 

- The par 3s - shot +7 on the 5 par 3s, which is the worst I've done so far this season. Managed to shoot a 5 on hole 4 (205 yards into wind yesterday) without using my putter and without penalties. Duffed the teeshot 130 yards short and a little bit right, shanked the next shot into the left greenside bunker, hit the first bunkershot fat and still found my self in the sand, thinned the next bunkershot and flew it over the green and holed the 15 yards chip from there for a 5 and 0 stableford points. To a lot of amusement for everyone in my flight. The 6 i shot on hole 8 (180 yards uphill with wind from behind and left) was quite forgettable: Pulled my 8'iron slightly and flew it over the green right into the creek there, penalty drop, chipped it to 15 feet from there and needed 3 putts to hole it (found the ball in the creek(Y) ). 

- Struggled with the speed on a 15 footer (sent it 6 feet past on 8 ) and 40 footer (left it 12 feet short on 14) , which I normally don't struggle with. Putting was good apart from those 2 and were the only 3-putts I made. On both those putts it felt wrong in the backswing and I still didn't abort the swing. Need to work on that.  33 putts total is not great, but is acceptable with the chances I gave myself on the greens.

- A little inconsistant with my longer chips, needs to get them a little closer. This is a part of the game I have been very good at lately and this was not my best round around the greens. Only 2 1-putts after chipping and one holeout. Should do better. 

• Thumbs Up 1

In the bag: Callaway Mavrik SZ 10,5 driver (X stiff), Cobra King 4 wood (Stiff, 2006 model), Callaway Mavrik irons 4 - P+A (stiff), Cobra King Pur wedges 52, 56 and 60 (stiff) and Odessey white steel putter.  Very happy with the set and the gapping. 

WTF???  Where did my swing go?

I could not hit a side of a barn today.  Nothing was working.  Wow!!!  I hope it was only a fluke and not start of a slump.

Shot 98 (70.9/137, 6500 yds).

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

45 (9 over). I had a decent round going until I triple boogied the last par three. A consecutive string of bad shots. 

In my Grom:

Driver-Taylormade 10.5 Woods- Taylomade 3 wood, taylormade 4 Hybrid
Irons- Callaway Big Berthas 5i - GW Wedges- Titles Volkey  Putter- Odyssey protype #9
Ball- Bridgestone E6
All grips Golf Pride

After buying a set of Jaws wedges (52/56/60), I sped off to Umstead to play nine holes. I was sent off the back, and I decided to play the blues (3343 yards, par 36). I started off with a triple on the par-5 tenth after dumping a wedge shot in the bunker (great contact, just misjudged the yardage), but I played the next six holes, what may be the toughest stretch, at +6. Nine over going into 17, a 375-yard par 4.

I hit my drive down the middle and had just under 150 left, uphill slightly, and I decided to hit one of my favorite shots, an 85% 8I with the slightest bit of forward shaft lean. And…a dart to six feet. Drilled the putt for birdie, back to +8. Then, after pulling my tee shot on the par-3 18th, I hit a really nice 60 degree pitch off a weird stance to about ten feet. And I was able to curl that in the side door to finish with a 44.

First review on my new wedges: I love ‘em. I made a few other nice up and downs today, and I’ve found that these produce a little more spin than my Cleveland wedges. I’m looking forward to using them in the future!

And some more good news: after my horrific nine earlier this week, I was able to limit my upward handicap movement to just 0.1, meaning it’ll go from 13.8 to 13.9. First upward movement of the year for me.

Also, I may be playing Tobacco Road with a few friends on Monday, so looking forward to that too!

• Like 1

WITB:
Woods: Cleveland Launcher (Driver, 17 degree, 22 degree)
Irons: Titleist T200 (4-PW)
Wedges: Callaway Jaws (50/54/60)
Putter: Odyssey White Hot

First time back on the clubs after a week layoff (vaca in NE to kids and grands, first time in 18 mos).  Shot 92 (43 /49). But I played it with no driver, no fairway woods but rather 3h, 4h, 5i-PW, 50, 54, 58 wedges.  Also had to limit use of any club to 3 times max per side.  Executed it perfectly on the back, after round club count showed I had dipped into 7i & 8i Wells a couple times too many.  Big take away - putting was very consistent, total 35 putts.  Also was a great lesson on club management, though I failed to keep track on the front.  May try this again in the near future. 

Ping G400 SFT 10deg  R flex
Ping G410 3w R flex
Ping G400 3h and 4h R flex
Taylormade SLDR 5i thru PW graphite shaft R flex
Cleveland CBX wedges - 50, 54, 58 or 52, 58 (depending on my mood)
Odyssey Versa or White Steel #5
Srixon Q Star

Shot 83 yesterday on a short local course, 5610 yards, 68.4/117. I feel like I played well through the bag and made two dumb mistakes on the course. I tripled one of the par 3's after missing short, skulling a 56, over pitching the next and 3 jacking it. I then went for the green in 2 on the short par 5, 17th. I was just off the right side of the fairway on my drive and hit an 8 iron out of the thick grass. Literally hit a rock on the far side of the pond that protects the front of the green. The ball bounced up about 30 feet and landed in the drink. I at least managed to get up and down for a bogey.

Enjoyed playing with my former partner at work. He nearly aced a 123 yard par 3 and just missed by about 8 inches. A beautiful morning of golf. May try to hit Eagle Eye later this afternoon. A lot of rain in the forecast here for the upcoming week. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Driver - Callaway Epic Flash, 3 Wood - Callaway Mavrik, 4 Hybrid - Callaway Big Bertha,

Irons - 5-AW Mavrik Pro's, Putter - Odyssey White Hot OG 1, Ball - Callaway Chrome Soft

Played Stony Ford course today. ( barely made 640 tee time after seeing a 1 car wreck so I pulled over to call and help the patients).   Shot my best round 86.  Thought the wheels fell off holes 6-9, then somehow went +3 on the back 9

Screenshot_20210626-220834_Skygolf 360.jpg

Screenshot_20210626-220842_Skygolf 360.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

Shot 85 today, 10 GIR/nGIR, 30 putts, 2 penalty strokes. After 2 weeks off playing, and having not hit a ball in over a week, I'm pretty satisfied.

Not a great round ball striking. Impact felt a little flippy, and contact was toward the toe for most of the round (one so bad that I almost missed the ball), and I left the face open resulting in big pushes more often than I would prefer.

Short game and putting were meh, but good enough I guess.

Finished with a nice birdie after a terrible drive followed by a great approach to inside 3-feet from the rough of an adjacent fairway.

• Thumbs Up 1

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

Played one of the strangest rounds of golf I've ever played yesterday. Imagine using 12 putts on the front and still be +11. My ballstriking the first 12 holes looked like it was the first time I ever held a golfclub. Could not hit a ball, shanks, slices, pullhooks and you name it. 

Stats for the first 12 holes:

- Fairways: 2/8 (One hit a tree and bounced back in, the other was a pulled low monsterslice that started 100yards right and ended up splitting the fairway about 90 yards short of my usual driver distance.)

- GIR: 1/12 (Par 3, 3-putt bogey), nGIR: 5/12 !! 

- Putts: 19 (first 7 holes: 7!)

- penaltyshots: 4

- Score: +17

Around and on the greens were phenomenal on at times, but when you miss greens 40 yards left from 50 yards you will have a hard time scoring.... 

Stats final 6 holes: 

- Fairways 3/5

- GIR: 3/6, nGIR: 6/6 

- Putts: 11

- Penaltyshots: 1

- Score: +2

Suddenly my ballstriking was back to my normal good, even though I pulled my driver in the water on 18. Missed a 4 footer for birdie on the hole I find hardest on the course, the narrow par 5, 14 (510 yards), after 3 perfect ironshots to the green. 

Total score +19 and 91 shots total. It could have been a lot worse.......  

Edited by Troy Ocker

In the bag: Callaway Mavrik SZ 10,5 driver (X stiff), Cobra King 4 wood (Stiff, 2006 model), Callaway Mavrik irons 4 - P+A (stiff), Cobra King Pur wedges 52, 56 and 60 (stiff) and Odessey white steel putter.  Very happy with the set and the gapping. 

Shot a 37-38 on Saturday for a 75, had the best putting round of my life, was +5.28 strokes gained putting compared to a scratch golfer.

Made a 40 footer for a birdie, a 25 footer and a 15 footer to save pars, plus a couple 6-8 footers to save pars as well. I didn't miss anything inside 10 feet all round.

Had been practicing all week at home on my ball position with putter and practicing start line with a yardstick and was happy to see the work paying off.

Ball striking was solid too, biggest weakness lately has been pitch shots from like 25-70 yds, have a lesson with my instructor today where I'm going to work on that with him.

Handicap is now down to my lowest ever, a 2.2

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Upvote 1

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

I finally played a round comfortably below 90. I have been having multiple disaster holes whenever I play that destroys my score.

A very consistent 43-42-85

I judge some rounds whether they could have been better or worse. This one couldn't have been any worse and could have been a little better with some better putting. I am encouraged.

Bill M

98 today! Wait that was the temperature with 101 heat index.  There was a breeze, and I decided to walk, teed off at 9:20.  Had a good front, 38 with 1 birdie and 3 bodies. One of those was a 3 putt!  Greens were super fast. Play was super slow! By the time we got to the 14th hole we were at 3hrs 45min!  A 3 over 39 on the back for a 77. 4hrs, 55min!  11 fairways, 11 GIR’s.  34 putts. Started as a foursome, ended as a twosome.

Course was in the best shape I’ve seen in a while, looked like carpet!  The North/South starts tomorrow, fast fairways and fast greens, best time to play!

Edited by Sandy Lie

Played a good round of golf yesterday.

GIR: 8/18, nGIR 14/18.

Fairways: 5/13

Putts: 30

Front 9 was ok (+9), but I made 4 heavy pulls right that cost me 2 shots twice (lost ball on hole 5 and 6 led to 2 tripples) and 1 shot twice (Had to chip it back into play on 4 and 9). Hit only 1 green and 1 fairway, but was saved by good shortgame and only 14 putts. The back 9 (+1) is the best I've ever played golf: Smashed the driver straight and played some great golf tee-to-green. Negatives: Two bad putts on 11 and 12 lead to 3-putt bogeys and choosing 1 club less on my approach on 16 and I would have been putting for birdie instead of hacking my way out of a bush behind the green (flushed a 9 into trouble where I should have flushed a PW). All in all a good 82 (with 2 tripples and 2 doubles), but the back 9 was inspirational. Feeling positive! 

Edited by iacas
table stretched site
  • Thumbs Up 1

Another Tuesday night and another disaster. Same script as always. Start out well and fall to pieces when pace of play goes to hell. 2.5 hours to play 9 holes. Due to the amount of people who showed up played in a group of 5 with some less talented players to make it even worse. Nothing like hitting a drive down the middle and waiting for 3 guys to hit 3 shots a piece before you can play your ball or even get to your ball to assess the situation. Bout to the point of saying hell with it and spending my Tuesday nights in a better place. By the 3-4 hole I’m begging for the misery to end every week it seems/

Ping G400 9 degree driver, 3 Wood and 3 Hybrid, Ping 2016 G 4-UW,  Ping Glide Forged Pro 52 degree, Ping Glide 2.0 WS 56 degree, Ping Craz-E Putter, Titleist Tour Soft balls

1 hour ago, Dunit507 said:

Another Tuesday night and another disaster. Same script as always. Start out well and fall to pieces when pace of play goes to hell. 2.5 hours to play 9 holes. Due to the amount of people who showed up played in a group of 5 with some less talented players to make it even worse. Nothing like hitting a drive down the middle and waiting for 3 guys to hit 3 shots a piece before you can play your ball or even get to your ball to assess the situation. Bout to the point of saying hell with it and spending my Tuesday nights in a better place. By the 3-4 hole I’m begging for the misery to end every week it seems/

I'm the same way.  Get stuck behind slow play and I just lose interest

I’ve played both the last two days.

Played Legacy in Pinehurst on Monday and shot 87 (43-44) from the blues. Had another match with a buddy, beat him 5&3. I had two very stupid triples: one because of a near impossible hole location (I missed a two footer from above the hole and it rolled six feet by) and one after I missed an 18-inch putt.

Apart from that, I hit the ball well and putted well. I hit several great putts and a lot were burning the edge of the hole. My handicap dropped to 13.5.

Then yesterday my brother and I played Lake Winds, a super short course (5917 from blues, 68.9/123). I started with a triple after nuking my approach over the green, which is dead. I ended up shooting 47 on the front and 45 on the back for 92, which is a 21.2 differential out there.

The highlight came on the short dogleg right par-4 tenth. It barely clears 300 from the blues and you can cut the corner. I opted to try and I pulled it off. Nicked a branch or two, but I was still in prime position, about 25 yards short of the green. Nearly holed my eagle pitch!

The handicap stays 13.5. I’m feeling good right now.

• Thumbs Up 1

WITB:
Woods: Cleveland Launcher (Driver, 17 degree, 22 degree)
Irons: Titleist T200 (4-PW)
Wedges: Callaway Jaws (50/54/60)
Putter: Odyssey White Hot