What'd You Shoot Today?

15,719 posts in this topic Last Reply

Today I shot 78.  My best score ever, and the second time I've ever broken 80. 

Disclaimer: it was from the forward tees, 5500 yards.  Still, some of the best golf I've ever played. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Want to hide this ad? Register for free today!

I would add, one thing that really helped me yesterday was that there was a slow group in front of us and no one behind us, so we took our time lining up our putts.  I really looked very carefully at my putts from all angles.  It was like the PGA tour.  So my putting was pretty good.  Normally, I just get up there and putt it so we can get going.  Maybe I care too much about holding people up behind us.  

I also had some lucky shots.  On more than one occasion, I thought my shot had gone off the back of the green, only to find my ball pin high, within 10 feet.  On one par-5, I skied my tee shot about a hundred yards, then hit a really nice 5 wood that landed in a fairway bunker, then hit a really bad layup shot that just got out of the bunker, then hit a long shot that wound up within tap in distance for par.   Sheer luck. 

Or the 80 foot double-breaking putt with 3 feet of fringe, that wound up 6 inches from the hole.   That has to be pure luck. 

But my ball striking with my irons has gotten much better. 

And now, if you read all that, thank you for reading about my favorite subject: me.     

Edited by Marty2019

First 18 hole round of the year for me. Shot an 80. I'm pretty pleased with how I struck the ball. Putting was really bad. I had 3 putts, and 2 of those were not that long. But I've been working entirely on my swing, so I'm not too worried about the putting. I need to work on it, yes, but that's okay. Hit 8 GIR, and had 2 up and downs from 40 yards, so that's nice.

Weird thing was that I chunked every shot where I tried to choke down on the club. Hit the ball well otherwise.

Bad week overall

Wed - 86 (44-42), Thr - 79 (41-38), Fri - 92 (49-43), Sat - 82 (46-36), Sun - 82 (42-40)

I haven't shot in the 90's in over a year. Just strange, I can't seem to concentrate, and then all of a sudden, everything seems in focus as in the 46-36 round.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Want to join this community?

We'd love to have you!

• 2018 TST Partners

PING Golf
    FlightScope Mevo
    More to come…
    • My apologies for the misunderstanding @brocks. While I am a huge Hogan fan, I don't know much about Hagen or Jones beyond the little that I've read - mostly on this site and from some internet sources. Obviously, things were much different from that generation.  Thanks. I don't disagree. I don't think you can look at any one way to determine GOAT. It has to be a combination of things. That said, I don't think longevity or totals should be discounted either. They are not the only or the most important statistics, but I think they should be considered. My personal opinion is that they carry a great deal of weight in GOAT discussion. Others may disagree.  No offense, but what Jack wrote or even what Tiger states in interviews has little to do with what I think. What it comes down to for me, is that Tiger has the 2nd most tour wins and the 2nd most major wins in history. I don't have the stats in front of me, but he accomplished those with more dominant statistics and against overall stronger fields. His run at that very high level lasted over a decade. The thing I can relate to, because it happened after I became involved with golf, is that he climbed back to #1 after a long layoff and while fighting injuries. He made it look easy. If he never wins again, what he's already accomplished in his career is enough for me to have my opinion. Where I might disagree with some is how much better he is than Jack was. I have no data with which to back this up, but I don't feel any of Tigers opponents were or are as good as Jack was in his prime. That might be more of a pissing contest and probably off-topic.
    • The Golfweek AmTour near me is 80$ to enter and the most expensive tournament is $125. I’m thinking about giving it a go just to satisfy the competitive side of myself. I wish there were more people on this website with experience in either Am Tours.
    • I, for one, always get a chuckle when I hear someone use the phrase "weak field" when talking about a PGA Tour event
    • I live in Barefoot, our courses are in great shape right now. Some courses I'd recommend while you're here that you haven't said you played 1- Dye course at Barefoot 2-Tidewater 3- True Blue 4- Prestwick 5- Heritage (will probably be your best bet, for around $40 you get breakfast, lunch, and it's a fantastic course. Just south of Caladonia and True Blue. It's part of the Legends group. you can look into their other 4 courses(all are good) also. All the same price, w/meals. Need any advice, let me know...  
    • Just secured 3 days in April at Kapalua. It’s on a different Island & I’m bringing my clubs so it is a golf trip. Plantation day 1, Bay Course day 2 and plantation on day 3, we leave the next morning. We are big fans of the Outrigger Villas, the places we stay at are priced reasonably, and are huge.  Have fun!
  • TST Blog Entries

• Blog Entries

• Today's Birthdays

1. Antneye
      (50 years old)
    2. CapM
      (53 years old)
    3. Cardsfan
      (26 years old)

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...