IGNORED

What'd You Shoot Today?

iacas

I shot 48/49 for a 97. I had 33 putts which is not good due to not hitting any greens is regulation. Course slope rating is 69.3/125. If I can improve my putting and learn to hit my 6-7-8-9 irons I think I will be able to improve my numbers. I’m going in this week to have a fitting check-up on my G15’s.

Played Oak Tree Country club last Friday. Shot an 83, which I am fairly happy with, although it didn't seem to me like I was playing all that well. When I sat down after the round with the scorecard and a cold beer to go back over the round, it hit me just how many strokes I'd left out there! I could have easily broken 80. 

As an aside, I discovered that Oak Tree was designed by Edward Ault who also designed Windmill Lakes, the last course I posted about. I really like both of these courses.

1 hour ago, CharlieB said:

I shot 48/49 for a 97. I had 33 putts which is not good due to not hitting any greens is regulation. Course slope rating is 69.3/125. If I can improve my putting and learn to hit my 6-7-8-9 irons I think I will be able to improve my numbers. I’m going in this week to have a fitting check-up on my G15’s.

If you don't mind my chiming in here, I don't think taking 33 putts has much to do with not hitting a lot of greens in regulation. If you're getting a bunch of NGIR's, then you probably have a wedge in your hands, which should be easier to get close to the hole than a 6 or 7 iron! As much as some folks like to de-emphasize the importance of the short game these days, it's still important. But, if you're blading pitches over the green, or chunking them short, or putting them on the green but a mile from the hole and you don't putt very well, that's a problem! 

I would look to your pitching, chipping, and putting as a quick aid to scoring better. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

On 7/13/2019 at 10:48 PM, Jeremie Boop said:

Played 18 with @mcanadiens today, first full round of the year. I didn't do too badly, lost a few shots here and there due to each part of my game but still played bogey golf at +18, 10 over front and 8 over back. Some bad drives, some bad approaches, some dumb missed putts, but way more good shots than I have any right hitting with as little as I've played. Was warm but tolerable even walking.

I always enjoy playing with @Jeremie Boop at Shelby Oaks. We did just have enough of a breeze to keep things comfortable.

You got me that time JB, My card added up to 94. Then yesterday went a lot worse. Going to take a week off. If I don't get that lesson (which I really should), that driver is coming out of the bag.

41, 40 at the regular par 68. Lost shots to the water and two more due to poor bunker swings. 9 pars, six singles, a triple and two doubles. 

great round on Friday - 75

crappy back 12 on Saturday - 39/48

I'm right on track - 2 good rounds followed by 2 or 3 "not so good" rounds.

Bill - 

14 hours ago, Buckeyebowman said:

Played Oak Tree Country club last Friday. Shot an 83, which I am fairly happy with, although it didn't seem to me like I was playing all that well. When I sat down after the round with the scorecard and a cold beer to go back over the round, it hit me just how many strokes I'd left out there! I could have easily broken 80. 

As an aside, I discovered that Oak Tree was designed by Edward Ault who also designed Windmill Lakes, the last course I posted about. I really like both of these courses.

If you don't mind my chiming in here, I don't think taking 33 putts has much to do with not hitting a lot of greens in regulation. If you're getting a bunch of NGIR's, then you probably have a wedge in your hands, which should be easier to get close to the hole than a 6 or 7 iron! As much as some folks like to de-emphasize the importance of the short game these days, it's still important. But, if you're blading pitches over the green, or chunking them short, or putting them on the green but a mile from the hole and you don't putt very well, that's a problem! 

I would look to your pitching, chipping, and putting as a quick aid to scoring better. 

I just bought two new wedges two weeks ago. I have been working with them, but still getting used to them. I bought Vokey’s SM6 54-08 and 58-12, plus I have my Ping G15 PW that is 46*. I’m not blading or chunking them, I’m just not getting my distances correct. That four club gap really does hurt me though.

8 hours ago, CharlieB said:

I just bought two new wedges two weeks ago. I have been working with them, but still getting used to them. I bought Vokey’s SM6 54-08 and 58-12, plus I have my Ping G15 PW that is 46*. I’m not blading or chunking them, I’m just not getting my distances correct. That four club gap really does hurt me though.

Understood. After re-reading my earlier comment I may have been a bit rash assuming blading or chunking. However, your reply leads me to believe that you are leaving the ball quite a distance from the hole. The question I would then ask is, how is your lag putting? 33 putts isn't terrible, it's less than regulation, but it's not great either. 

If that is a problem, I'd suggest going to the Instruction page and looking at the thread titled, "Do NOT accelerate when putting", or something to that effect. I started working on that last year and continued it this year. My lag putting has improved exponentially. Heck, my overall putting has improved. I'm 66 and putt better now than when I was 22! 30-40 footers don't really hold much fear for me now. Almost sank a couple of those my last round. It's so much easier to hit your line when you're not slugging at the ball! 

If that's not the problem then, yes, you just need to dial in those wedges. Even early this season, I was leaving less than full wedges well short of the green. Cost me a bunch of strokes! I finally learned to control distance by the amount of shoulder turn I was making. Which means I had to turn my shoulders. I sometimes get into a bad habit of just flapping my arms around! Especially on less than full wedges. 

92 at Grandview today. New low score for me. 48 on the front and 44 on the back. Had several GIRs with legitimate birdie putts though I missed them all. Only one 3 putt. Beautiful day today and slowly improving.

• Like 2

89, 46/43. Regular tuesday play. The good: long game felt solid. The not so good: need work on short putts.  Three putting blew up the score.  The miss is a pull. Any pointers?

112 at Possum Trot before I left to catch a flight for work, just now getting back into golf after trying to play 2 or 3 times last year or 2 years ago don't quite remember. Anyways, went to a PGA pro back in June and they helped tremendously with alignment grip and swing issues, went from a horribly out to in swing to now a pretty pronounced in to out. Struggle sometimes with a push slice or just a straight push. Generally still get a big push slice with driver so I decided to not use it very much and teed off the whites with my 5 wood or 4 hybrid. I was very impressed with how well my game has improved off the tees and 2nd shots. I don't know my yardages as they are extremely inconsistent. Sometimes hit my 5 iron 160 other times 195 so very hard to gauge what club to hit, although I'm happy that my irons are generally very straight or with a fade or draw sometimes, I hope this will even out with more time and more lessons. My short game was and is absolutely atrocious, almost always 3 putting and can't chip or pitch to save my life. Big areas I am going to work on which I think should get me under 100 in the next few months. Otherwise had a blast, managed to for the first time in my golfing career get a ball to carry over a large water hazard which was very exciting for me!

Just got off the Mojave Golf course in Laughlin NV. (Avi Resort) Nice place. If you ever visit the area, I highly recommend it.

Carded an 81 (39/42) with 30 putts. A good round for me. Nothing but pars, and bogey 1s. 

My phone says the temp is 109*f, with very low humidity. "Brutal" comes to mind. 

The locals have a pretty unique way of staying cool. About every 4th hole, they hit their ball into a lateral water hazard. Then wade in after it. 

Yes, I am kidding.......

• Like 1

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Shot a 39 last night in league match.    Only won 3.5/9 points (match play with a point per hole) as opponent who is an 11 hdcp shot a 42.

Good: I putted fantastic.  Probably the best round of putting in my life. Chipping around green was solid.  Hit 4/7 fairways and 2 of the misses were just a few feet off of the fairway.

Bad:  2nd shots.  Hit some terrible shots with my hybrid.  Most of my approach shots were hit thin.  Maybe I was over-compensating for the wet conditions and trying to avoid chunking the ball??

• Like 1

Played the Primm Valley (desert?) course today. Went 40/40 (80), with 29 putts. 

Pretty warm, and breezy conditions, but I am use to these conditions. I prefer them over cold winter, north winds. 

Shot of the day was a 20'+/- putt for a par. Then again, the shot before that was pretty sweet too. I had to aim that approach shot way left, in hopes the left to right wind would bring the ball back over, and on to the green. 

Other than that, just an easy day on the golf course. Tomorrow, maybe  some course in California, if I run across a lonely looking course that needs some company. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

79 with 3 doubles...including 2 on par-5’s!   :doh:

Really played pretty well.  3 bad swings.  Woulda, coulda, shoulda...

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

I had not played since July 3 so I really didn’t have high expectations for today. Upgraded my 3 wood and 52 degree wedge yesterday tho and I was really looking forward to playing. Went out in +3 39 and then made 8 straight pars on the back before closing with a bogey shooting 37 on back. Was my best score ever on the back 9 at my home course. Turned in my lowest score of the year thus far with that 76. 7 fairways hit is around my average. Hit 12/18 greens which is above my average. 34 putts is more than my usual but I hit more greens so not going to complain about that. Overall very happy with the round today!

Ping G400 9 degree driver, 3 Wood and 3 Hybrid, Ping 2016 G 4-UW,  Ping Glide Forged Pro 52 degree, Ping Glide 2.0 WS 56 degree, Ping Craz-E Putter, Titleist Tour Soft balls

Played Oso Beach in Corpus Christi. Shot a 92. Made an 8 on hole 18. Not a hard hole if you keep it in the fairway, out from under the trees and out of what is called the Donut of Death sand trap to the left side of the green.  Played while visiting my Son on North Padre Island. 

I haven't posted any of my rounds since 7/10, when I shot a 72. After that game, the wheels came off. 83, 92, 94, 85, 85, 86. Index has gone from 9.2 on 6/15, to 9.6 on 7/1, and with the 7/15 update, jumped to a 12.0.

Well, I decided to take a couple of days off. It helped, yesterdays round was a 76 (38-38). Still couldn't get rid of 2 double bogeys, but I did offset them with 4 birdies,4 bogeys, and 8 pars. I hope I can repeat the performance today, with the exception of the doubles.

Driver: Callaway Mavrik 9.5o - 3 wood: Callaway Mavrik 15o - 3 Hybrid: Callaway Mavrik 18o - Irons: Callaway Mavrik 4-PW, AW, GW, SW - Putter: TaylorMade T.P.A. X - Ball: Callaway SuperSoft - GPS: Garmin S20 GPS watch - Rangefinder: Bushnell Yardage Pro