IGNORED

What'd You Shoot Today?

iacas

91 - Pine Hills Golf Club - 69.5/116

Almost broke 90, and managed to get through the round without any triple bogeys, and only three putted once.  My putting is A LOT better - 30 putts - since I took some advice about not delofting my putter.  It's not the most challenging course, but it has a couple of par threes that are over 200 yards (238 is the longest) and there are a lot of blind shots.  I only hit six fairways and didn't have a single GIR, but I did manage to get around ten of the greens, and several shots bounced over the green.  I am also pleased that I managed to go five strokes lower on the back. 

• Thumbs Up 1

:ping:

• G400 - 9° /Alta CB 55 Stiff / G410-SFT - 16° /Project X 6.0S 85G / G410 - 20.5° /Tensei Orange 75S
  • G710 - 4 iron/SteelFiber i110cw Stiff • / i210 - 5 iron - UW / AWT 2.0 Stiff
  • Glide SS - 54° / CFS Wedge / Glide 2.0 SS - 58°/10 / KBS 120S / Hoofer - Black

:scotty_cameron: - Select Squareback / 35"  -  :titleist: - Pro V1 / White  -  :clicgear: - 3.5+ / White

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Shot 83 yesterday from our sliver tees (6256 - 70.4 - 128). Had a few putts only miss by a hair and made one double bogie. My goal is always to break 80. I've come close a few times recently, but haven't done it since last Fall. Our back nine is longer and more difficult for me, so I have to score in the 30s on the front to give myself a chance. I could probably move up to our 6000 yard tees at age 70, but I really like the challenge. We only have three or four par fours I struggle to reach in two shots. 

82 from the back tees today. 1 birdie (1st hole), 9 pars, 5 bogeys, and 3 doubles. I have to get rid of those doubles.

Driver: Callaway Mavrik 9.5o - 3 wood: Callaway Mavrik 15o - 3 Hybrid: Callaway Mavrik 18o - Irons: Callaway Mavrik 4-PW, AW, GW, SW - Putter: TaylorMade T.P.A. X - Ball: Callaway SuperSoft - GPS: Garmin S20 GPS watch - Rangefinder: Bushnell Yardage Pro

I've been fighting the driver big time lately and had my worst round of the year yesterday 75 (+3). Came out today and after a couple poor drives I finally found something and played really well. Shot 67 (-5). Bogeyed the last two holes though dang it! Just lost concentration.

IMG_3736737D99E5-1.thumb.jpeg.150438e018ef2957a26f3ff9df897000.jpeg

• Like 4

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

Shot an 85 today, got my last round in before my vacation ends this weekend. Broke 90 my last two rounds, today tied my all time low. The course measured at about 6100 and I played with a couple guys I dont normally play with, around my same handicap. Kind of relieving to play the whites for once, my other playing group are all around single digits so they like going from the blues, so I go from the blues even if I shouldn't. Driver was a big hook all day, and the long and mid irons were spotty at best. Wedges and putter really helped me, felt like money from 110 and in today, even chipped in another one for birdie and only had 31 putts. I had 2 birdies, 6 pars, 3 doubles, and the killers, 2 triples. So pretty stoked to see a few things progressing a little bit, at least for now. 

There’s a lot to say about today’s tournament, as it was a very wild ride. First, the course. It was called Wildwood Green GC, in Raleigh, NC. About a 45-minute drive from my house. It was just under 6500 yards from the blue tees where we played, par 70. On top of the length, it was very narrow off the tee. Run your drive over the cart path and there’s a good chance it’s OB. The greens were lightning-fast. Also a very hilly course. Not very walker-friendly. 

Now to the round. I was paired, by luck of the draw, with one of my teammates, making the round a bit more comfortable. I struggled out of the gate, going +9 through four holes. I realized standing on the 5th tee that if I kept that up, I wasn’t likely to break 100. I was happy to walk off the long par-4 fifth with a five, then I parred the tough par-3 sixth and made a great up-and-down for bogey on the long par-5 seventh. I was slowly making my score look better: +11 through seven. A good ways from solid, but I felt that I had my game back on track. I went double-bogey to close out the front side with a 49. Not bad after the first four disastrous holes. But the back nine is where my round started to get interesting.

Hole ten was nothing special. Another long par-4, I chunked my 3W just past the ladies tees, hit a 6I layup through the trees, then pitched just short and got up-and-down for a bogey. Same sort of thing on the eleventh. The twelfth was a 181-yard par-3 with water short, left, and long. After several minutes of waiting, I nailed a 5H onto the front of the green and two-putted from about 50 feet for a par. I was thrilled to get off that hole with three.

Hole thirteen was a very reachable par-5 at 478 yards. I killed a 3W down the middle and had only 230 left to the green, within range of another well-struck 3W. I tried for it and topped it, but it still left me with only 50 yards on a downhill lie. I decided to bump-and-run an 8I through the rough short of the green, which would take some of the heat off the speed of the greens. It came off the club exactly as I wanted it to, and rolled through the rough and up onto the green exactly as I wanted it to, at which point I knew it was gonna be good. Thing is, it was really good. It rolled toward the flag, and then I saw it disappear into the hole for an eagle! My first eagle ever! 

Fueled by adrenaline, I pounded my drive on the fourteenth down the middle, but chunked my approach slightly and came up just short. I hit a decent chip shot to about eight feet, left my first putt two feet short, then missed that one. Double bogey. The fifteenth hole produced probably the funniest moment of the day. I was laying two in a greenside bunker. After leaving my first attempt in the sand, I skulled my second attempt low and it smacked dead into the flag and stayed on the green, albeit about 20 feet out. I’m still laughing about that stroke of luck as I’m typing it. I managed to two putt from there, saving what could’ve been a very ugly hole. I also doubled the sixteenth after three-putting from six feet, but bounced back by getting up-and-down for par on 17.

On the eighteenth, I was laying two in another bunker, this one so deep I couldn’t even see the top of the flag. I hit one of my best shots of the day to about ten feet and two-putted for a bogey, a back-nine 42, and a total of 91. I’m very pleased with that score, considering the length and how tight it was. My teammate shot 86. However, despite it being one of the toughest courses I’ve played, it’s also one of my favorites. There was so much variety in the holes, so every hole was an adventure. I’ll be back to that course sometime in the very near future, maybe as soon as Monday, with some teammates for another round.

• Like 2

WITB:
Woods: Cleveland Launcher (Driver, 17 degree, 22 degree)
Irons: Titleist T200 (4-PW)
Wedges: Callaway Jaws (50/54/60)
Putter: Odyssey White Hot

Shot an 84 last Saturday at Brookside #2 from the whites, which had tiny greens and sucker pins all day. Had a enjoyable laid back round where I actually made a few putts, long irons were a little off, and my wedges were perfect at some key times that saved me 10 strokes. (Did have about 3-4 stinkers with the wedges too.) Shot of the day was 86 yards in with a tree in the way, so I hit a fade through a gap in the tree that looked like this > that went 84 yards. Missed the birdie putt but was happy to not be in tree jail and pick up a par. 

My problem with the long irons was I was hitting them farther than usual. That meant I was flying trouble and traps up front, but also going over the back of the green. It was certainly better than being in the sand all day!

Didn't do much scoring but hit the ball really well with my driver and irons which led to a solid 39 / 39 / 78

2020-07-03_08-31-32.png

Edited by Inferno2ss

Had another ugly 83 yesterday. I'm bumping up against the new World Handicap Systems 3 stroke soft cap. Went from a 6.5 to a 9.3 index in 3 weeks.

Anyway, yesterdays round, 3 birdies, 5 pars, 6 bogeys, and 4 doubles. Like I said, and ugly round

Today, a new me. Shot a 77 (37-40). 1 birdie, 12 pars, 4 bogeys, and 1 double.

Hope it comes back together even more tomorrow.

Driver: Callaway Mavrik 9.5o - 3 wood: Callaway Mavrik 15o - 3 Hybrid: Callaway Mavrik 18o - Irons: Callaway Mavrik 4-PW, AW, GW, SW - Putter: TaylorMade T.P.A. X - Ball: Callaway SuperSoft - GPS: Garmin S20 GPS watch - Rangefinder: Bushnell Yardage Pro

Haven’t posted on this page for a while. Figure this would be a good place to come back to. Today I played excellent on the front. 38 on a par 36. Made 8 pars and a double. Then the heat got to me and I went double, par, double on the back en route to a 44 on the side. Pretty deflating you shoot 82 with the front side I had. Still feeling pretty good about my game. Have been putting well over last few weeks. Ball striking is as good as it’s been in years. Today was my 1st round over 80 in 3 weeks.

Ping G400 9 degree driver, 3 Wood and 3 Hybrid, Ping 2016 G 4-UW,  Ping Glide Forged Pro 52 degree, Ping Glide 2.0 WS 56 degree, Ping Craz-E Putter, Titleist Tour Soft balls

90, on the nose... with only three GIR, two of which were the last two holes. 

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Played my first 18 holes since late 2014 today.  I shot a 106 (66.2 / 117), which I was really surprised by.  I actually shot better on the back 9, which is the opposite of what I used to do.  I used to play 9 holes almost exclusively and stretching it to 18 seemed to just fatigue me and it showed on the scorecard.  My son (12) and I had a great time.  I scored 2 pars, should of had another 1-2.  There were so many stupid strokes on the card.  6 penalties, 2 3-putts, 2 times I took 2 strokes in the same bunker, on top of your normal duff/skull from a weekend warrior.  It makes me feel really good, because through all of that it felt like I was on track for 120, not 106.  It tells me I'm not that far away from the mid 90s again.  When I played a lot (2-3 9s a week about 6-8 years ago) I'd normally shoot between 42 and 45 like clockwork.  Granted this new course is slightly tougher with tighter fairways, I feel like I'll be back to a place where I'm shooting respectable scores.

Where I'm struggling most, like I was in 2012-2014, is distance.  I simply don't hit the ball that far.  It makes playing even somewhat forward tees (3rd set from the back) really tough.  I tracked a few of my better drives (3w, I have no control over the 1w) and on a great shot I was only getting 200-210 out of it.  My 5i is about 155 and my 7i is about 135.  A 375 yard par 4 is common and nearly impossible for me to reach in 2.  If I actually wanted to go for it, I'd need to pull a 4h for my second shot.  That's just not good for me, so I'll hit 3w, AW, AW, to give me an opportunity for a 1-putt par or more likely a 2-putt bogey.  A 350 yard par 4 will at least let me go 3w, 5i.  So yes, I'm dealing with that.  I need to figure out where to get 10 yards throughout the bag, or learn how to hit a 1w with some confidence.  I'm sure newer technology would help, but my clubs (Taylormade Burner 2.0) aren't that old.  I have noticed that newer sets have a 7i loft where my 5i is.  That makes me wonder, is it as hard to hit that new 5i as it is for me to hit my current 3i (as they'd have the same loft)?

Driver: TaylorMade SuperFast 2.0 -- 10.5* Woods: TaylorMade SuperFast 2.0 -- 3w 15*, 5w 18* Hybrid: TaylorMade Burner SuperFast 2.0 Rescue -- 4h 21* Irons: TaylorMade Burner Plus -- 5-AW Wedges: TaylorMade RAC -- 56.12, 60.07 Putter: TaylorMade Spider Ghost -- 35" Ball: It's complicated.

Played a new course today and was pleased with my efforts. Tough course and I challenged myself today by playing the tips (nearly 6700 yards). I shot 91 which was good enough for a 16.9 differential. Best round differential in a while for me. My driver was decent on the front nine but I had a wicked slice on the back nine. Found the ball every time, though had some interesting recovery shots. My recovery game was pretty good, and my around the green game and putting was solid all day. Irons were also a little bit come and go but I made it work. 

64 in our Red, White and Blue tournament. Won the gross division. Format is you play six holes from the blue tees, six from the whites and six from the reds, got to pick which ones you teed off from. Index right now is +2.5 and my handicap for today was +7, so gives you an idea of how short the course was....but still have to keep it in play and convert.

Great thing is I don't have to post it! 👍

IMG_3626.PNG

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Back to my home course today, and today’s round was just as crazy, maybe even more so, than my tournament Thursday. Again I started poorly, +7 through four. I lost two balls in those four holes due to pulled shots. Just like Thursday, I managed to find my game starting on the fifth hole, and chipped to three feet but missed the par putt. Same deal on the sixth hole.

I hit one of my best shots on the seventh, an 8I to about six feet. The birdie putt lipped out, and I tapped in for par. I tried to putt from the fringe on the next hole, but misjudged it and came up short and made bogey. On the par-5 ninth, I hit my drive into a fairway bunker, but my second shot from about 190 finished on the green, about fifteen feet out. Two-putt for birdie to finish the front with 45.

On to the par-5 tenth, where I hit my drive left into some brush. I tried a punch shot for my second, but it came off awkwardly and caught a wicked bounce left. It aligned itself in such a way that a log was sitting right on top of it. I tried to move the log, but the ball moved, so I gave myself the penalty, therefore laying three. My fourth ended up just short, and I chipped up and two-putted for double. I got a huge bounce off the path with my drive on the next hole and ended up about 105 out, twenty yards past where my normal drive would end up. Hit my second just short, and I had about a 25-foot chip. The chip was mediocre at best, stopping eight feet short. I rolled in the par putt.

I missed a two-footer for par on the twelfth after I missed the green and then hit a great chip to the aforementioned distance. Bogey. On the long par-4 13th, I hit driver right of the fairway and was blocked off. Two shots later, I was on the green, 40 feet out. I hit a poor first putt six feet short, then rolled in that putt for five. My drive hit the trees and came out on the 14th, and I had just under 200 into an elevated green. I hit a solid shot to about thirty feet, another poor first putt, another 6-footer for par. 

My 3W tee shot on the 15th was so pure it ran through the fairway, 240 yards out. I hit an 8I for the second shot to about 12ft, leaving me a ticklish downhill birdie putt. I misread the break but got the speed perfect, and I had to make another three-footer to get my par. On the long 16th, I hit a solid drive, then a wood that started drawing into some mulch. I managed to hit a punch shot just short, but couldn’t get up-and-down and settled for bogey.

At this point, I was +14. I figured, given the way I was playing, that I would either go par-bogey, bogey-par, par-par, or bogey-bogey. I’d be content with any of those.

I hit another solid drive on the par-4 17th hole and had about 100 in on a sidehill lie, but my second game up short. Unlike the 16th, I made the up-and-down for par. The cinematic par-3 18th yielded to me a green hit in regulation, albeit 45 feet out, slightly downhill. I didn’t see the downhill part, and ran my first putt six feet past the hole. Missed that six-footer too, and tapped in for bogey, a 42 on the back, 87 total.

Funny thing is, I only hit one fairway on the back nine, five total. Today’s round was a grind, just like Thursday, and it felt great to grind out a solid score after a poor start. It occurred to me after the round that I could’ve easily broken 85. Bogey golf on the first four would’ve done that. I also could’ve shot 91 or 92 given how many ‘money’ putts I made. But I’m very satisfied with today’s round, and I feel that I’ll be shooting 82-85 consistently before long. Then it’ll be time to break 80.

4 hours ago, mvmac said:

64 in our Red, White and Blue tournament. Won the gross division. Format is you play six holes from the blue tees, six from the whites and six from the reds, got to pick which ones you teed off from. Index right now is +2.5 and my handicap for today was +7, so gives you an idea of how short the course was....but still have to keep it in play and convert.

Great thing is I don't have to post it! 👍

IMG_3626.PNG

Our club had a similar tournament today, except ours alternated between blue, white and red, in that order, starting with blue on the first hole. It was a 4-man scramble, shotgun start.

WITB:
Woods: Cleveland Launcher (Driver, 17 degree, 22 degree)
Irons: Titleist T200 (4-PW)
Wedges: Callaway Jaws (50/54/60)
Putter: Odyssey White Hot

Went 39 - 35 yesterday for a 74 which included a 6 on a 275 yd par 4, and an O.B. tee shot on 17 but managed to get up and down from 100 yds to save bogey.

Back 9 was very solid outside of that original tee shot on 17. I hit it to tap in range from 124 on hole 10, made 6 straight pars after that, bogeyed 17 with that O.B. tee shot after hitting my 2nd drive 310 yds in the fairway and hitting the 100 yd approach shot to 6 feet, and drained a 10 footer for birdie on 18 to break par for the back 9. 

I have broken par on 9 multiple times this year but haven't quite been able to put a complete round together yet, hoping it happens this coming weekend when I'm in Pinehurst.

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

83 on my home course today.  Best shot was a 45 ft putt...…..  only 92 degrees out there today......

Remember when reading posts...…. Communication: 80% Body Language; 15% Tone & 5% Actual Words
We'd all be best selling authors if we could communicate in the written word as well as we would like.

:aimpoint:    :bushnell:    :sunmountain:   :ogio:   :titleist:
:mizuno:  Mizuno ST180 Driver
:ping:  Ping G400 fairway 3 
:cleveland:  Cleveland HB Launcher Iron set  4-PW  50/56/60 CBX Wedges
:callaway:  64 Calloway Lob Wedge
 :scotty_cameron:    Scotty Camron GOLO 3