IGNORED

What'd You Shoot Today?

iacas

Played another local course today (anything within 30 miles is local to me).  This was a lesson in humility and how to work through inconsistent ball striking.  Hole scores were either good (bogie or better is good for me) or close to total blow-ups.  It was one of those days where I felt a disconnect with the clubs on all shots, except the putter.  I had good lines and the greens were reasonably quick.  Still managed to have 3 pars and 5 bogies - which for me is great play.  The remaining holes were either double bogie or worse. Total score - 113. 'nuf said. 

Ping G400 SFT 10deg  R flex
Ping G410 3w R flex
Ping G400 3h and 4h R flex
Taylormade SLDR 5i thru PW graphite shaft R flex
Cleveland CBX wedges - 50, 54, 58 or 52, 58 (depending on my mood)
Odyssey Versa or White Steel #5
Srixon Q Star

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Played my home course today with my brother and grandpa. We laid some odds the night before on each of our chances to make birdie on the day. Here’s what we came up with:

ME: 5-to-1

PAPA: 10-to-1

BRO: 20-to-1

We also guessed what we would shoot, as we always do when we play.

ME: 43-45—88

PAPA: 50-47—97

BRO: 52-51—103

Despite going +6 through three, I rallied to shoot 46 on the front. My grandpa shot 51, my brother 58. The back nine started well, and I made a 15-footer for birdie on the tenth, then made a solid bogey on the next after a miserable tee shot. Bogeys on the next four holes.

On the par-5 sixteenth, in great position, laying two 115 out into the wind, I badly thinned a choke-down 9I over the green, and I would go on to hit a poor chip and three-putt for double. I knew riding to the 17th tee that I would have to par the last two holes to match my prediction. Not an easy task on either hole.

I hit a solid drive, but it drifted a bit too far right and left me 165 in. My 6I approach came up just short. I hit a great chip shot to within two feet and made par. One down, one to go. The par-3 18th is a daunting enough hole, but I had put pressure on myself to tie my guess. Thing is, I like pressure. I embraced the pressure and knocked my tee shot onto the green about 35 feet out. My first putt ran two feet long. A tough putt, but I rolled it in to shoot 42 on the back for an 88 total. Final scores:

ME: 46-42—88

BRO: 58-52—110

PAPA: 51-DNF

I’ve got my tournament next Wednesday at Pinehurst No. 7! I’ve gotten confirmation that we will be playing the white tees there (par 72, 6347 yards). I’m glad we’re not playing the blues, mainly because I’ve heard that No. 7 is one of the more difficult courses at the resort, and the blue tees are just over 6800 yards, a fairly long course for me. I’ve been wanting to play a Pinehurst course for a while now, so I’m definitely looking forward to it!

Edited by dagolfer18

WITB:
Woods: Cleveland Launcher (Driver, 17 degree, 22 degree)
Irons: Titleist T200 (4-PW)
Wedges: Callaway Jaws (50/54/60)
Putter: Odyssey White Hot

I finally broke 80 for the first time this year. I played with my son from tees measuring  6250 yards and a par of 71 . I made two double bogeys, five bogeys, ten pars and (wait for it) an eagle for a 78. At age 70, it's my first eagle in at least 25 years. Obviously, some luck was involved as my eagle was not a putt, but a 130 yard 8 iron. All in all it was a great day.

89 again today with a 41 out and 48 in. I had two blow up holes on the back where I lost focus and was punished for it. Tried to pull off a shot through trees on a par 5 where I should have taken my medicine and punched out to the fairway.  A freaking quad on that par 5 and a triple on a par 4 and there you have the difference of front and back 9's. 

I really felt I had a strong round going with predictable ball striking and two holes cost me what would have been a great round. Damn it, I'm the dumbest person I know. FOCUS!!!!

Driver - Callaway Epic Flash, 3 Wood - Callaway Mavrik, 4 Hybrid - Callaway Big Bertha,

Irons - 5-AW Mavrik Pro's, Putter - Odyssey White Hot OG 1, Ball - Callaway Chrome Soft

82 (38-44) yesterday on a new course I'd never played before. The biggest problem was 5 three putts. Greens had slopes on them I'd never seen before. I'm sure it would take months to figure out the proper line on these greens, or, I probably should have been smart and left the ball below the hole, if it were only that easy.

Today, a 77 (39-38) on my home course, with 1 birdie, 12 pars, 4 bogeys, and 1 double.

Driver: Callaway Mavrik 9.5o - 3 wood: Callaway Mavrik 15o - 3 Hybrid: Callaway Mavrik 18o - Irons: Callaway Mavrik 4-PW, AW, GW, SW - Putter: TaylorMade T.P.A. X - Ball: Callaway SuperSoft - GPS: Garmin S20 GPS watch - Rangefinder: Bushnell Yardage Pro

Well I played again today and frankly after my 78 yesterday I fully expected to shoot in the 80s. Surprisingly, I shot 77. I cannot explain it but I'm playing like I did before my shoulder injury. I did switch back to my Mizuno JPX  850 forged irons. I was fitted for them five years ago, but I had been playing a set of "game improvement" Taylormade 2017 M2s. I putted well too and that always helps. Who knows how long this will last, but I'm going to enjoy it. 

• Like 1

92 today (50/42, 6100yds, 69.6/125). After a front nine that was embarrassingly bad, especially off the tee I was one over through five to start the back. Cooled off a bit and ended with a triple on 18 (in pouring rain though), but saved a horrible round and made it average. 

• Like 1

39/39=78.  2 doubles, a birdie, and a whole bunch of pars.

One of those days where it wasn’t too hot to go out and play, but it turned out to be too hot to have played!  

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

95... I attempted the stunt of playing 18 holes in three consecutive days. I have such respect for the pros playing four days despite having caddie carrying their clubs and help with the decision making. 

First nine I actually played okay just lipped out all the putts but my tees was spot on and approaches was fine. Last nine a blur just couldnt hit straight with a tired body and stiff back struggling to achieve the orders of my brain. Yet I still stubbornly tried to hit the money shots. 

Just a practise round but really need to go for easy shots in this state aim for bogeys rather then pars.

Went to the range after but no point hitting shots. Tendency to go right was a good lesson. 

Hopefully rains tomorrow so I dont get the idea going out again. 

21 minutes ago, knott said:

95... I attempted the stunt of playing 18 holes in three consecutive days. I have such respect for the pros playing four days despite having caddie carrying their clubs and help with the decision making. 

First nine I actually played okay just lipped out all the putts but my tees was spot on and approaches was fine. Last nine a blur just couldnt hit straight with a tired body and stiff back struggling to achieve the orders of my brain. Yet I still stubbornly tried to hit the money shots. 

Just a practise round but really need to go for easy shots in this state aim for bogeys rather then pars.

Went to the range after but no point hitting shots. Tendency to go right was a good lesson. 

Hopefully rains tomorrow so I dont get the idea going out again. 

You’ll like this then.  A guy at our Club has played 51 days in a row as of yesterday.  He’s out there all the time.  I said to him during the round why do you do it?  He said he just fell into it and doesn’t know what else to do.  So I asked him if he does yard work at all. Nope! Do you read books to pass the time?  Does you wife mind?  She’s ok with it he said. Wow I thought! The other guy he plays with most of the time says he’s out there all the time.  I can’t believe his wife doesn’t mind him being gone all the time I said to him. He says he’s met the guys wife and then adds that she’s younger than him and good looking.  I drew my own conclusion after that statement.  But then again.....maybe he’s just a lucky guy! Maybe a stamina thing!  🙀🤣

An 82 today. Pair of 41's with 1 birdie, 1 double, 9 bogeys, 7 pars. An ugly day, but there's always tomorrow.

Driver: Callaway Mavrik 9.5o - 3 wood: Callaway Mavrik 15o - 3 Hybrid: Callaway Mavrik 18o - Irons: Callaway Mavrik 4-PW, AW, GW, SW - Putter: TaylorMade T.P.A. X - Ball: Callaway SuperSoft - GPS: Garmin S20 GPS watch - Rangefinder: Bushnell Yardage Pro

83 on a day when I really struggled to get off the tee well. Started off with a drive OB and +2 penalty (scored a 7), and the remainder of the round was low event. Lots of mediocre tee shots, decent approach/recovery shots, and decent short game/putting.

Might have been better if I had gotten off the tee better. Had two disappointing 3-putts that cost me a couple strokes. Both were from the fringe so technically not putts, but they were in my routine 2-putt range. 

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

Shot 40-44 in steady 15-20 mph winds with gusts in the 30s. Basically we got lucky with the tropical storm soon to be hurricane just offshore.  The 40 involved one 3 putt and some solid play. The back saw some overswinging and a ton of missed greens when it really started honking. 

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

95,46/49. Tight course. Except for some headcase shots which turned salvagable bogies into worse it was a nice round.  What do I mean by headcase?

Par 5. Tee shot puts me 158 yards from a waste area.  Bail out left, trees about 190. 3 wood flew FOREVER finding the trees on the left.  130 yds from the green. What to do??  Oh, I’ll just hit this low 5 iron along the tree line. It worked! Now, 80 yds out. Funky lie.  What to do??? Swing, push left. Off the green in the rough.  What to do??? And that is how that 7 happened.  

85 from my home course (6443, 70.8/128). Started off hitting the ball fairly well, kind of lost it in the middle of the round and lost a bunch of balls, then started finding my swing again towards the end, but I was completely gassed by 15th hole. I'm not even sure why because it wasn't that hot today (around 90°F), but it felt like I was developing heat stroke. Checked my Apple Watch and it had me at 130-150 bpm for a good 45 minutes, even while standing. I played in hotter weather two weeks ago and didn't have these issues. The only thing I could think of is my legs are pretty sore from a hard leg day on Thursday and walking the course was a lot more taxing than it usually would have been.

Also I lost my Game Golf unit. It's probably in one of the storage units at work. I stopped in before my round to grab something and it must have caught on something and popped off my belt. Oh and I dropped my water bottle and broke it. Kind of a shitty day of golf for me.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Played a pretty solid nine holes with a +3 39 and that’s with a double bogey. Stuck a PW from 134yds to the pin 5’. Down hill breaking to the left..missed but made the par. Good ball striking ...good around the greens. No shanks.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge