IGNORED

What'd You Shoot Today?

iacas

2982561_7bP90MGd.png

View this round on GAME GOLF

Shot 82. Wasn't my best effort with the long irons and putter. Pitching is coming along, driver and irons are improving nicely. This is fairly consistent progress for my abilities.  

Nate

:pxg:(10.5) :benhogan:(4W):titleist:U500(3UI) :benhogan: Icon(4-PW) :edel:(52/58)

:odyssey:Putter :snell: MTB Black  

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Played Memorial Park in Houston today. Shot 92 from the whites (6500, 71.1/121). Had 6 pars in the first 10 holes, but struggled a lot on the back. Push slices off the tee got me in a lot of trouble. The course is less than 2 weeks from being shut down for the Houston Open, and the fairway rough is something else. I nearly lost a ball that missed the fairway by 3 inches! Makes you appreciate what those guys can do. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, HJJ003 said:

Played Memorial Park in Houston today. Shot 92 from the whites (6500, 71.1/121). Had 6 pars in the first 10 holes, but struggled a lot on the back. Push slices off the tee got me in a lot of trouble. The course is less than 2 weeks from being shut down for the Houston Open, and the fairway rough is something else. I nearly lost a ball that missed the fairway by 3 inches! Makes you appreciate what those guys can do. 

Wow on the nearly lost ball just a few inches off the fairway!  I’ve lost some just a few feet off....but not a few inches.  Reminds me to never complain of the “roughs” I deal with here locally.  

• Like 1

Ping G400 SFT 10deg  R flex
Ping G410 3w R flex
Ping G400 3h and 4h R flex
Taylormade SLDR 5i thru PW graphite shaft R flex
Cleveland CBX wedges - 50, 54, 58 or 52, 58 (depending on my mood)
Odyssey Versa or White Steel #5
Srixon Q Star

Last weeks scores were 81, 73, 77, and 76.

This week playing Wednesday through Sunday.

Driver: Callaway Mavrik 9.5o - 3 wood: Callaway Mavrik 15o - 3 Hybrid: Callaway Mavrik 18o - Irons: Callaway Mavrik 4-PW, AW, GW, SW - Putter: TaylorMade T.P.A. X - Ball: Callaway SuperSoft - GPS: Garmin S20 GPS watch - Rangefinder: Bushnell Yardage Pro

87, 43/44. A magical round. Approaches good, putts went in. Three blowup holes put 7’s on the card. 
Driver horrible.  I had alot of long approach shots but the 4H was fire.  
I have been playing horribly lately but yesterday something clicked.

Shot a 98 in possibly the most horrible ball striking round I've had in the past year. Short game and putting were pretty solid, otherwise this could have easily been 110.

I started off scoring well, being +2 after 3 holes (these holes usually punch me in the face). But even though the scores were okay, I pulled 3 straight tee shots, pulled 2 approach shots, and shanked another approach shot. Frankly, I was lucky to not bet +9 after the first 3 holes.

Went on to completely fall apart on holes 4-18. Only had 5 GIR/nGIR, and the rest of the holes weren't even close.

To sum up the day, my notes of tee shots:

1. Pull (decent, 265 yards into left hand rough)
  2. Pull (ended up okay in trampled waste area)
  3. Pull (260 yards, ended up okay in left hand rough)
  4. Shank into waste area
  5. Pull into waste area, short and left
  6. Topped into waste area, short and right
  7. Shank onto adjacent tee box
  8. Pull into penalty area, short and left
  9. Chunk into waste area/rough
  10. Push slice (landed 2 fairways over to the right)
  11. Shank into penalty area
  12. Pull into waste area, ball playable, actually got my only GIR here
  13. Pull into trees between holes
  14. Pull hook (landed 2 fairways over to the left)
  15. Push slice into penalty area, short and right
  16. Shank into penalty area
  17. Pull hook onto adjacent fairway
  18. Pull hook onto adjacent fairway
Edited by Darkfrog

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

My last 10 rounds have been from the  68/121 tees. 

During that stretch I have averaged 80.7 per round. 

My 11th round, this morning, was good for 78. Pretty pleased with my progress in shooting more consistent lower scores. 

Eagles, birds, pars, bogies, and double bogies have all contributed to this run. Luckily no 6s involved. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

90 from the Whites at Diablo Creek. I’m struggling with the cold tops with my driver and 3-wood. It’s highly frustrating. But, I drained 2 long putts and swung my irons well.

Last night, I watched a youtube video about spine angle and the next swing thought I’ll take to the course will be to rotate around the spine.

95 today at my 'home' course - 49/46.  Today was a little different as I brought out my Tommy Armour 845s Silver Scot irons from the late 80's in lieu of the Diablo Edge irons.  Why you may ask?  I wanted to see if I was hitting them any better than earlier in the year when I parked them for the Diablos.  The truth of the matter - they are a full club-and half shorter than the Diablo's, but in the same respect the Diablo's are a full club stronger in lofts (based on the number on the head) all the way through.  But the way I play, I ask myself - based on the distance to be covered, what loft do I need?  Ignore the number on the head I say.  Accuracy is the game I was chasing today.  Have the say the 845's were going where I aimed and I love how the ball feels coming off the head of the club.  No wild slices or hooks - straight in to slight fades and an occasional tiny hint of draw.  This did prove what I already knew, I am hitting the Diablos on average about 10yds further than the relatively lofted 845s (for example the Diablo is 25deg loft while the "comparable" 4iron is 24deg loft).  We are talking graphite shafts in the Diablos with TT steel shafts in the 845s.  Wedge play - to be honest I've been spoiled by the Cleveland CBX's (50 & 58) and truly prefer them over the 845 wedges P-W3-S (48, 52, 56).  Fairways, hybrid and driver were my usual entourage of SLDR units.  Fairways were firm and greens were quick.  Made for some challenges on the putting.  All that to day a great day of predictable distances all the way around.  Yes, my favorite golfer was with me - my four year old grandson.   

image.thumb.png.de41bc4161285500faa58a77cc6e765d.png

Ping G400 SFT 10deg  R flex
Ping G410 3w R flex
Ping G400 3h and 4h R flex
Taylormade SLDR 5i thru PW graphite shaft R flex
Cleveland CBX wedges - 50, 54, 58 or 52, 58 (depending on my mood)
Odyssey Versa or White Steel #5
Srixon Q Star

I ended up shooting a decent round today after yet another poor start: this time +11 with three 3-putts through five holes. On the sixth hole, I again started a comeback. A huge drive followed by a nice 54-degree wedge shot left me 15ft out. Rolled that in for birdie. I parred the next two holes, only to bogey the easy ninth for 47. 

I started the back nine with a weird bogey: a topped tee shot, then a hybrid layup that apparently hit a tree and bounced right on top of a rock mound on the right side of the fairway. Took an unplayable, hit one short, then hit another good wedge, this time with a 50 degree Cleveland that I just put in the bag last weekend. I hit a good approach on the eleventh but four putted. Bounced back with a par on the twelfth and 5-6-4 on the most difficult stretch on the course, all par 4s.

I made a double on the par-5 sixteenth, and a bogey on 17 that should’ve been an easy par. I hit a good 7I on 18 that left me fifty feet out but on the green. I had a weird feeling standing over the putt, like I was gonna make it. I almost did it too, and I walked it in because it was on a great line, but it swerved left at the last moment, leaving me with a tap-in par, a 45 on the back and 92 total. Even though putting cost me at least two strokes a side, it was honestly a good round. May be playing on Friday, but if not I’ll try to get out this weekend.

• Like 1

WITB:
Woods: Cleveland Launcher (Driver, 17 degree, 22 degree)
Irons: Titleist T200 (4-PW)
Wedges: Callaway Jaws (50/54/60)
Putter: Odyssey White Hot

On 10/14/2020 at 7:25 PM, dagolfer18 said:

I ended up shooting a decent round today after yet another poor start: this time +11 with three 3-putts through five holes. On the sixth hole, I again started a comeback. A huge drive followed by a nice 54-degree wedge shot left me 15ft out. Rolled that in for birdie. I parred the next two holes, only to bogey the easy ninth for 47. 

I started the back nine with a weird bogey: a topped tee shot, then a hybrid layup that apparently hit a tree and bounced right on top of a rock mound on the right side of the fairway. Took an unplayable, hit one short, then hit another good wedge, this time with a 50 degree Cleveland that I just put in the bag last weekend. I hit a good approach on the eleventh but four putted. Bounced back with a par on the twelfth and 5-6-4 on the most difficult stretch on the course, all par 4s.

I made a double on the par-5 sixteenth, and a bogey on 17 that should’ve been an easy par. I hit a good 7I on 18 that left me fifty feet out but on the green. I had a weird feeling standing over the putt, like I was gonna make it. I almost did it too, and I walked it in because it was on a great line, but it swerved left at the last moment, leaving me with a tap-in par, a 45 on the back and 92 total. Even though putting cost me at least two strokes a side, it was honestly a good round. May be playing on Friday, but if not I’ll try to get out this weekend.

Great comeback.  That +11 could have ruined the round but you made it up.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, gjunkie57 said:

Great comeback.  That +11 could have ruined the round but you made it up.  

Thanks! Being one to never back down from a fight, I’ve always been good at making these sort of comebacks. At least on my home course, they always seem to start on the sixth hole, which is a short par 4, very birdieable, the perfect hole to get your game back on track.

• Like 1

WITB:
Woods: Cleveland Launcher (Driver, 17 degree, 22 degree)
Irons: Titleist T200 (4-PW)
Wedges: Callaway Jaws (50/54/60)
Putter: Odyssey White Hot

79 (40-39) yesterday.

Moved from early morning golf to afternoons, and I just can't get used to the speed of the greens. Running most of my chips and putts 5 feet past the hole. It will be interesting to see if I can get the ball to the hole in this mornings round.

Driver: Callaway Mavrik 9.5o - 3 wood: Callaway Mavrik 15o - 3 Hybrid: Callaway Mavrik 18o - Irons: Callaway Mavrik 4-PW, AW, GW, SW - Putter: TaylorMade T.P.A. X - Ball: Callaway SuperSoft - GPS: Garmin S20 GPS watch - Rangefinder: Bushnell Yardage Pro

So this mornings round was a 75 (35-40).

I thought today's the day when I sunk a 20 foot putt on the first hole for a birdie. Followed that with 6 pars, followed with another tap in birdie, but bogeyed the 9th hole for the 1 under 35.

The back was a little more stressful. Bogey on 10, 3 pars, then disaster as out of the corner of my eye,  I caught the grounds crew working, as I took the driver back for the backswing. Boom, way right, over their heads, OB!!! Took a double on that hole, then bogey, finishing the last three holes with pars for the 40.

I'm not unhappy with the 75, but it could have been so much better. I won't even mention the two 3 foot putts I had for birdies, and missed them both.

• Like 1

47-41 88, on the short course (par 71 CR 63.0 SR 104 at 4900 yards). I started off -1 after 2 holes, then a brutal bout of the doubles came on on the front. The back was 3 doubles, 5 pars and a birdie on the last. Strokes mostly lost with topped 3 woods, some bad par 3 tee shots and a couple of thinned chips. My short iron game was better than my normal standard, and my putting was on fire. Didn't find myself in the <50 yard range as much as I normally do, due to more greens hit. Made 4 putts outside of 12 feet (the longest was probably 22ft) which is a large number for me.

• :titleist: 917 D2 9.5o EvenFlow blue shaft    :titleist: 917 F2 15o EvenFlow blue shaft    
  • :titleist: 818 H2 19o EvenFlow blue shaft 
  • :titleist: 712 AP2 4-PW
  • :vokey: 52/8o SM6 RAW    56/14o SM6 Chrome      60/4o SM6 Chrome
  • :ping: Anser Sigma G putter
  • :snell: MTB-Black Balls