IGNORED

What'd You Shoot Today?

iacas

84 today, which is great considering I had a horrible start (+8 after 5 holes).

11 GIR/nGIR, 2 penalty strokes, and 30 putts.

Didn't feel comfortable with my swing until the 8th hole, but after that something started clicking with my priority piece swing thought, and everything suddenly felt in sync. Made some good recoveries from bad shots on the front 9, and eventually finished up with a 45.

Started the back 9 with a double, and then played well for the rest of the round and scored 39 on the back. Had my birdie putt on 18 stop right on the edge of the cup, and missed a couple other birdie putts by very slim margins, so it could have been better.

Edited by Darkfrog
Added penalty strokes

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I thought the game was coming around with the last few scores of 78, 76, but today an ugly 85.

Hopefully, tomorrow will be better.

Driver: Callaway Mavrik 9.5o - 3 wood: Callaway Mavrik 15o - 3 Hybrid: Callaway Mavrik 18o - Irons: Callaway Mavrik 4-PW, AW, GW, SW - Putter: TaylorMade T.P.A. X - Ball: Callaway SuperSoft - GPS: Garmin S20 GPS watch - Rangefinder: Bushnell Yardage Pro

Today’s round was interesting. We played a golf course that was a little bit tougher and more penal than my home course (par 71, 6115 from blues). I hit three greens on the front and only two-putted once. Two triples on the fourth and ninth holes gave me a 48. Total putts: 20.

The back nine was definitely better. I only had one really bad hole. The par-3 fifteenth is 197 from the blues, and it’s basically over water, although you can bail out to the right. I bailed a little too much and ended up with a double. The other eight holes on the side were six bogeys and two pars, meaning I shot 44. Total putts: 21 (41 total putts 😒)

The last par I had, on the seventeenth, was disappointing. It’s a short par 5 (485 per the card), but I think it’s closer to 460. It’s all uphill. I hit what was easily my best drive of the day and ended up just outside the 200-yard marker. I went for the green and found it, but 35 feet out and with a putt that had probably ten feet of break. I thought the break was closer to six feet and hit a terrible putt, leaving it ten feet out. Missed that too. 

Total score was 92, which was only a shot over the score I predicted last night. My brother also played the blue tees, and he managed to claw out a round of 56-56 for 112. Only three over what he predicted. We have a rule that to win the bet, your margin for error is five strokes on the high side, no limit on the low side. So we both were comfortably inside that margin. My grandpa played the front but rode the back, and he shot 53. To match his prediction, he would’ve needed a 52, but 57 max.

Definitely a fun day of golf! The coach said that we’re taking a team trip to Pinehurst the first weekend in December, and that starting that first Wednesday, we should start playing with each other on the afternoons of the asynchronous learning days. So I’ll be posting here a good deal more come December! 

WITB:
Woods: Cleveland Launcher (Driver, 17 degree, 22 degree)
Irons: Titleist T200 (4-PW)
Wedges: Callaway Jaws (50/54/60)
Putter: Odyssey White Hot

CAREER BEST! Played my home course. Birdie at 1 to get the day rolling and never looked back. 3 birds on the front to one bogey to play the front -2. Had 2 birdies and 2 bogeys on back for an even back and a 2 under 68 for the day. 30 putts. 15/18 GIR. Somehow managed to hang a great score while not having the best day driving. Only managed to hit 2 fairways all day. I’ll take the score and be happy for my first round under 70 and first under par!

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

Ping G400 9 degree driver, 3 Wood and 3 Hybrid, Ping 2016 G 4-UW,  Ping Glide Forged Pro 52 degree, Ping Glide 2.0 WS 56 degree, Ping Craz-E Putter, Titleist Tour Soft balls

78 on my first ball.. But it's meaningless. Despite the beautiful weather we were relatively unhampered by others. Kid is a newb, and I'm just back into it.and we were working on his flighting his short irons and wedges, I was teaching him how to really pinch it too.. Took lots of extra shots after the first.shots. The short games nuances of finesse or power spin have quickly returned to me after decades off.

One Funny thing is I reached into my old bag and pulled out a couple old Titleist Tour Balata 100's. Yes, they are much better than a Pro V around the green, but nowhere near as long off the tee.

Scoring hasn't been great the last few weeks but hitting it ok. That's golf, posting last five scores since I haven't posted in a while. No golf this weekend because of the weather.

IMG_7116.jpg

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Haven’t posted on this in a while because, well, my game has been in a bit of a rut. More ways to shoot 81-83 than you can shake a stick at.  

An unexpected, welcome change of pace Friday.  37/37=74, with bogies on 2 par-5’s... both from 70 yards out in the middle of the fairway with a little SW in my hand.  Good grief.

Still, probably the best round of golf I’ve played in close to a year. Just when you least expect it…

18 hours ago, Dunit507 said:

CAREER BEST! Played my home course. Birdie at 1 to get the day rolling and never looked back. 3 birds on the front to one bogey to play the front -2. Had 2 birdies and 2 bogeys on back for an even back and a 2 under 68 for the day. 30 putts. 15/18 GIR. Somehow managed to hang a great score while not having the best day driving. Only managed to hit 2 fairways all day. I’ll take the score and be happy for my first round under 70 and first under par!

This thread doesn’t usually encourage responses, but I’m going to make an exception here. Well done, and congratulations!  :beer:

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

17 minutes ago, David in FL said:

Haven’t posted on this in a while because, well, my game has been in a bit of a rut. More ways to shoot 81-83 than you can shake a stick at.  

An unexpected, welcome change of pace Friday.  37/37=74, with bogies on 2 par-5’s... both from 70 yards out in the middle of the fairway with a little SW in my hand.  Good grief.

Still, probably the best round of golf I’ve played in close to a year. Just when you least expect it…

This thread doesn’t usually encourage responses, but I’m going to make an exception here. Well done, and congratulations!  :beer:

Well I can assure you that I’ve been in a rut similar to what you had gone through. Ho hum rounds of 79-83 virtually every time out. Make a couple birdies but also find a way to 3 putt from 20 ft or miss a green from 70. It’s about time I put it together!

Ping G400 9 degree driver, 3 Wood and 3 Hybrid, Ping 2016 G 4-UW,  Ping Glide Forged Pro 52 degree, Ping Glide 2.0 WS 56 degree, Ping Craz-E Putter, Titleist Tour Soft balls

I have no idea what I shot since I'm done counting strokes for the year, but one remarkable thing happened on the front nine of Miami Shores yesterday. ... I hit my first 300-yard drive.

The idea came to me on Saturday that if I can't hit the ball straight, I ought to just try to hit it hard. My focus was on getting the backswing as far as it would go and then firing through. Number 3 is 330 from the tees we were playing and I ended up 10-15 yards from the green. 

We won't talk about the others ones.

Edited by mcanadiens

Coming off of the best round of my life Sunday evening knew that whatever I did today probably wouldn’t match or beat that. Even for a friendly round with one of the guys that I normally play with I actually felt nervous today. Was trying to do to much early and made bogey on the first 7 holes. Got it together and after a 7 over start through 7 i managed to play the rest of the day at even par. Made 9 pars, one birdie and one bogey on the final 11. Even on the back. Not my usual amount of GIR with just 6 for the day but the short game saved me a few times. Finished at 77.

Haven't played since 10/23 despite likely the nicest start of November in 20 years.  Teed it up and played much better than I anticipated, 81.  It was very windy and the course was playing firm and fast.  On two of the closing three holes I hit nice, straight drives into the water penalty areas fronting the green.  Sigh.  What could have been.

Still, nice to know I don't forget how to play after a couple weeks.

Brian Kuehn

I played Apple Mountain (69.0/130) in Freeland today for the first time.  We made the trip north (about 1 hour) and was pleasantly surprised to have sunshine and 70° temperatures on November 10th!   The course was in good shape, fair and enjoyable.   The wind... that was a different story.   I can't say for sure but I bet we had gusts around 40 mph.   It was the most wind I've ever played.   I enjoyed the round, recording one birdie and hitting 11 fairways (highly unusual, most this year).  86. 

• Upvote 1

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

• Administrator

I have no idea. I'm just happy to play some BONUS GOLF on November 10 in Erie in 75° weather!

• Upvote 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Played one of my favorite local courses yesterday - the Emerald in New Bern, NC.  It was the host course to the Curtis Strange Shrine Classic through the 90's and presents some great playing challenges.  We teed from the blue tees (6,100yds) (around here that is usually the whites).  It started very interestingly as #1 and #10 are parallel to each other....my tee was a hard pull, not a hook but a straight pull to the pines separating the two fairways.  It ricocheted through the trees and next to the red tee box marker on 310.  The ladies teeing there asked if that was our ball.  I sheepishly said yes and being the good sport I was, played it from there. My mind was racing with the swing thought, "This is going to be interesting."  Played back through the woods and managed to recover to a double bogie 6, so I did not feel too bad.  Overall I was having a "short" day with the driver, just could not get great distance (for me) but all the tee shots except the first one were fairway or just off it.  Could not complain on the accuracy.  We were also working to stay ahead of the rain that was to come (my son and grandson were with me).  Putting let me down as I had several that were lip outs (too much speed) or <1" misses of the hole (left and right).  Approach shots were landing on or just off the green (the 8i & 9i bump and run shots are my friends).  Score wise - 49 front / 48 back for a 97.  What I love most about this course is how it makes you think about club selection when considering your approach shots.  For me, if I know I can't get there in 1, what is the best two shot combo for me?  I like an approach that is around the 100-120 range.  Therefore it becomes simple math, where I am - less the ideal landing zone distance = club choice.  It works and builds confidence in how I approach a green.  Also thinking about pin location and what is the best angle in to maximize green landing zones. Back to the round, looking back at my last three rounds at this course - each has dropped by 8 strokes:  2 rounds ago in July a 113, previous round in October a 105, yesterday a 97.  Lessons learned: (1) focus separation value - what shots will give the biggest bang for the swing and make those shots count; (2) work on putting accuracy (back to rolling the ball on the metal ruler drill) to get the ball in the cup on the 1st stroke, i.e. eliminate 3 and sometimes 4 putts; (3) swing tempo - keep it consistent across the board, for me its a song that is 62 bpm. Somehow I could not recall it in my mind yesterday and actually felt "disconnected"; (4) trust your instincts in club choice and (5) remain committed to that choice and planned shot.  

Ping G400 SFT 10deg  R flex
Ping G410 3w R flex
Ping G400 3h and 4h R flex
Taylormade SLDR 5i thru PW graphite shaft R flex
Cleveland CBX wedges - 50, 54, 58 or 52, 58 (depending on my mood)
Odyssey Versa or White Steel #5
Srixon Q Star

Took advantage of a day off and got out yesterday. Really struggling with the tee ball, but the irons are spot on. Hit some great wedge shots on the back, but didn't putt very well and didn't make but one birdie putt. Nice though got to use my new Clicgear series 8 push cart for the first time, Time on the workout summary is a little off, we played in 3 1/2 hours I forgot to turn it off when we finished.

168292499_ScreenShot2020-11-12at10_56_15AM.thumb.png.408e71d3fa7132ec4d8e1b63b66ae75c.png

IMG_2003.thumb.PNG.d772bccd12deccae312f5e8bf5e4e7a5.PNG

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

Stonebridge in Waxhaw NC 46-42: 88

I finally got back in the 80’s. It’s been a long time. Started out horribly with two triples in the first 6 holes but then went -1 over the next 7 holes. The best I’ve hit my irons in ages. All the hard work is starting to pay off. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Yet another round where I can not keep a good score going. 96 at Houston National (70.3/126). Shot 46 on the front and 50 on the back. Was playing bogey golf through 11 holes and then I had a triple followed by several doubles and never recovered. Hit 57% of my fairways which is good for me, and 4 greens in reg which is about average. 8 penalty strokes killed my round. Nearly all coming on the back nine. Haven’t broke 90 since I think March or maybe February...

The ugly 85 I had on 11/7, turned into an even uglier 92 (3 triple bogeys), on 11/11. Yesterday, 11/13, the score came back down to a respectable 78.

Edited by Rkrider99
unclear

Driver: Callaway Mavrik 9.5o - 3 wood: Callaway Mavrik 15o - 3 Hybrid: Callaway Mavrik 18o - Irons: Callaway Mavrik 4-PW, AW, GW, SW - Putter: TaylorMade T.P.A. X - Ball: Callaway SuperSoft - GPS: Garmin S20 GPS watch - Rangefinder: Bushnell Yardage Pro