IGNORED

Taylormade and the need for M1 Sales

Note: This thread is 3093 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Why would you want an adjustable driver anyway for the most part you want something consistent. Quality is made it takes time and field testing taylormade uses computers and data but fails to really say what they mean. I'm sure it's a very light club that smashes it well otherwise pga tour guys wouldn't be using it,but it's a shame and somewhat of a blessing that they come out with new stuff every year,

• 2 weeks later...

I bet it's going to sale very good. They are very aggressive with their marketing. It's also, for me, a very good product. I've tried it with a launch monitor and with the TP shaft the spin is exceptional. It was in between 1900 and 2300. Most of the time when well hit the spin was 2100ish which for me gives me the best carry.

600$ here in canada... I'm going to pass even if I could have 20 more yards carry. As I still hit my old Great Big Bertha II 8*. 

I bet it's going to sale very good. They are very aggressive with their marketing. It's also, for me, a very good product. I've tried it with a launch monitor and with the TP shaft the spin is exceptional. It was in between 1900 and 2300. Most of the time when well hit the spin was 2100ish which for me gives me the best carry.

Not sure I think they are out pricing them sevles. Though it could be they are seeing the demand for golf clubs overall and finally upping the prices so they don't end up over producing.  

I found the M1 to be very similar to the SLDR or the R11. As of right now it's $499.99 for a non TP model.

The Ping G30 is $349.99 and performs just as well as the M1. Even Titleist is cheaper at $459.99. I am not entirely sure why they would go $50 above the top listed price. It use to be Taylormade was one of the more bang for your buck type of clubs. Now I think that title is going to Cobra or Ping. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Not sure I think they are out pricing them sevles. Though it could be they are seeing the demand for golf clubs overall and finally upping the prices so they don't end up over producing.  
I found the M1 to be very similar to the SLDR or the R11. As of right now it's $499.99 for a non TP model.

The Ping G30 is $349.99 and performs just as well as the M1. Even Titleist is cheaper at $459.99. I am not entirely sure why they would go $50 above the top listed price. It use to be Taylormade was one of the more bang for your buck type of clubs. Now I think that title is going to Cobra or Ping. 

Ive noticed this increase in prices over the past year or so. Its as if Taylormade are in a race to make the cest driver using exotic materials (carbon fibre and new formulations ot Titanium) but no-one else go the memo!

I dont think any golfer (tour pros not included) need the latest driver every year (6 months for TM) and high handicappers like myself often wont tell the fifference between this years offereing and onde from 4 years ago, i mean i hit my Ping G5 just as bad as the latest and greatest driver.

There must come a point when the boundries of technology are reached and the likes of Taylormade will be twiddling their thumbs wondering what to do next (non conforming clubs going by the latest issue of Todays golfer)

Russ, from "sunny" Yorkshire = :-( 

In the bag: Driver: Ping G5 , Woods:Dunlop NZ9, 4 Hybrid: Tayormade Burner, 4-SW: Hippo Beast Bi-Metal , Wedges: Wilson 1200, Putter: Cleveland Smartsquare Blade, Ball: AD333

Ive noticed this increase in prices over the past year or so. Its as if Taylormade are in a race to make the cest driver using exotic materials (carbon fibre and new formulations ot Titanium) but no-one else go the memo!

I dont think any golfer (tour pros not included) need the latest driver every year (6 months for TM) and high handicappers like myself often wont tell the fifference between this years offereing and onde from 4 years ago, i mean i hit my Ping G5 just as bad as the latest and greatest driver.

There must come a point when the boundries of technology are reached and the likes of Taylormade will be twiddling their thumbs wondering what to do next (non conforming clubs going by the latest issue of Todays golfer)

Callaway's been doing the forged composite carbon fiber thing since 2010. Taylormade even said as much, that others had done it before but Taylormade finally was comfortable with it.

Dom's Sticks:

Callaway X-24 10.5° Driver, Callaway Big Bertha 15° wood, Callaway XR 19° hybrid, Callaway X-24 24° hybrid, Callaway X-24 5i-9i, PING Glide PW 47°/12°, Cleveland REG 588 52°/08°, Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 56°/13°, 60°/10°, Odyssey Versa Jailbird putter w/SuperStroke Slim 3.0 grip, Callaway Chev Stand Bag, Titleist Pro-V1x ball

I think it's $50 over priced because they are offering more aftermarket shafts as a custom selection.

Ignore the marketing hype and try if you want. I'm certain it fits the player who can play the SLDR or R15. Whether it fits the regular Joe is another issue. I doubt it. But they will sell.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

I think it's $50 over priced because they are offering more aftermarket shafts as a custom selection.

Ignore the marketing hype and try if you want. I'm certain it fits the player who can play the SLDR or R15. Whether it fits the regular Joe is another issue. I doubt it. But they will sell.

From when I hit it, I would say it's more forgiving than the SLDR was, I never tried the R15 so I can't comment on that particular club. It's a nice club, it's not 499 nice in my opinion though.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

There is one good benefit re: TM introducing product lines every other Monday: they discount the previous lines rather quickly.

I gave the SLDR and the SLDR mini a try after the R-15 came out, and I saved a bunch of money. Didn't like the mini, but the regular 460cc driver was ok. Not as good as my R11s though. I suppose that speaks to the whole weight low, back, front, outside, inside, speed pocket, hot pocket, mumbo jumbo. I don't think a lot of that really matters, unless you want it to for the sake of your own psyche.

Gambling is illegal at Bushwood sir, and I never slice.   

Callaway's been doing the forged composite carbon fiber thing since 2010. Taylormade even said as much, that others had done it before but Taylormade finally was comfortable with it.

Good point, forgot about Callaway. Must be that they are't as shouty as Taylormade :-D

In the bag: Driver: Ping G5 , Woods:Dunlop NZ9, 4 Hybrid: Tayormade Burner, 4-SW: Hippo Beast Bi-Metal , Wedges: Wilson 1200, Putter: Cleveland Smartsquare Blade, Ball: AD333

Good point, forgot about Callaway. Must be that they are't as shouty as Taylormade :-D

I think Callaway was doing composite with the ill-fated C4. And Jesse Ortiz with Bobby Jones made a composite top with a similar weave as the M1 in 2007. Ortiz went back to an all Ti head several years later, saying it was more rigid than his composite.

Rumour has it Taylor is being considered for sale by Adidas. Not sure how true that is. 

I do not think that is a rumor - they are on the block.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

I think Callaway was doing composite with the ill-fated C4. And Jesse Ortiz with Bobby Jones made a composite top with a similar weave as the M1 in 2007. Ortiz went back to an all Ti head several years later, saying it was more rigid than his composite.

I do not think that is a rumor - they are on the block.

Ive seen the MOAD (mother of all drivers) they made for to show what they could do. That was mad, fins that deployed to stabilise the head and stuff. Wonder what else their mad scientists are working on.

Re Callaway, yes i remember reading that they raised many eyebrows when they announced they were using composites, and now its common place.  

Ive seen the MOAD (mother of all drivers) they made for to show what they could do. That was mad, fins that deployed to stabilise the head and stuff. Wonder what else their mad scientists are working on.

Re Callaway, yes i remember reading that they raised many eyebrows when they announced they were using composites, and now its common place.  

What I found odd is that TM touts all this "new" technology, but the faces on their fairways and hybrids were still thicker than a small guy like Jesse Ortiz of Bobby Jones, who used a better alloy than TM for years. The same with this composite "first unmetal" that they advertise. They should be flogged by the FTC for lying ... again. Tell you what, if TM is touting its thinner faces and advanced tech, I bet someone else did it years ago. I am suspicious of all of their claims. They make a great driver for a tour player because if you make a mistake with a SLDR, R15 or most probably the M1, and hit it in the wrong place on the face, it will fall from the sky for lack of spin, as many have reported (but not the M1 yet - which I have read is more R1-like forgiving - progress)

Edited by Mr. Desmond

i went with the Cally Razr Fit Xtreme from a few years ago.  love it.  loved the fact that i could get a real-deal shaft, not a "made for" shaft.  got mine with the Matrix Ozik Black Tie X-Stiff.

ive found the SLDR to be completely dead off the face.  i have hit good shots with it and it still feels dead.

Colin P.

Yeah, they very subtly announced it in a cross-promotional event with Lamborghini, haha.

Chris-Nagy-2011-Canadian-International-A

Dom's Sticks:

Callaway X-24 10.5° Driver, Callaway Big Bertha 15° wood, Callaway XR 19° hybrid, Callaway X-24 24° hybrid, Callaway X-24 5i-9i, PING Glide PW 47°/12°, Cleveland REG 588 52°/08°, Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 56°/13°, 60°/10°, Odyssey Versa Jailbird putter w/SuperStroke Slim 3.0 grip, Callaway Chev Stand Bag, Titleist Pro-V1x ball

Yeah, they very subtly announced it in a cross-promotional event with Lamborghini, haha.

Chris-Nagy-2011-Canadian-International-A

I can just hear callaway now, "What lamborghini?, there's no cross brand goings on here, 'Could the owner of a white prototype Lamborghini please move their car as you it is illegaly parked'. I think we may have got away with that one"

Callaway designed the composite top in conjunction with Lamborghini composite tech -- is the flashy Lambo name just a coincidence? Doubt it.

I used to be a hardcore TM guy.  Entire set was all TM.  However, I got tired of spending a fortune on a set and then 3 months later they come out with something new.  Frankly, the equipment I bought was not groundbreaking stuff.  I just bought what was on the shelf and went about my business.

As I have gotten better and more educated on equipment, I have become more "snobbish" about what I play with.  I do my homework and I test everything out.  I have moved away from TM because I simply play better with other brands.  TM kept marketing I would get 15+ more yards with every club and it never happened.  I eventually wised up and realized I needed to put my money and time in lessons and fix my mechanics.  Once I did, I was able to go and legitimately test Titleist and other high quality equipment that I simply hit better.

Do not get me wrong, TM is still a good product.  I think their biggest issue is folks have caught on to their marketing act and many feel they were taken advantage of over the years.  No way am I going to spend $500 on a new driver that will be outdated in 6 months or less and frankly is not going to give me any better numbers than what I play with now.  

Note: This thread is 3093 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!