IGNORED

My Swing (jb27)

TN94z
Note: This thread is 2473 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

So I have decided that I am going to get Jacob to sign up for the site and post these videos under his own account so he start to manage this himself and so he can get own here and do some reading and research whenever he wants. I think this will be best.

• Upvote 2

Bryan A
"Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• iacas changed the title to My Swing (jb27)

Here are some videos from today, with my driver I have a push-fade. When hitting my irons I have a straight push. The ball is starting in the right direction but does not come back any.

Bryan A

I think it's awesome you have the opportunity to play this great game and you should never forget that you have been given a gift.

Youre lucky.

I can't offer much of substance on this swing.  It's good,  but so different from my own that I am not qualified to offer help.

• 2 weeks later...

What I see in his swing on the course is in his takeaway, he immediately rolls his forearms which seems to have his clubs really flat at the top of his swing. Should we work on getting it a little steeper?  It seems to be a bigger issue with his driver than anything else. He really hits a straight push with it. His swing coach has told him to really concentrate on "toe in the bag," but that seems like it will bring in a lot of timing which would make it inconsistent.

Thoughts?

Bryan A

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrator
On 4/11/2017 at 9:10 AM, TN94z said:

What I see in his swing on the course is in his takeaway, he immediately rolls his forearms which seems to have his clubs really flat at the top of his swing. Should we work on getting it a little steeper?  It seems to be a bigger issue with his driver than anything else. He really hits a straight push with it. His swing coach has told him to really concentrate on "toe in the bag," but that seems like it will bring in a lot of timing which would make it inconsistent.

Yes, it very much goes shallow to steep. Under the plane to slightly over.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• 1 month later...

I have been very busy lately with practice and tournaments. I am still working on my swing but I can't seem to get out to the range at the same time as my step dad to get some videos. But he said we need to get back to posting swing videos here so we can figure some things out. I am still hitting a push that starts cutting. And my distance is really lacking. My distance is really hurting my chances at getting to greens in regulation. I have been working on my putting which is coming along. I recently played my first Sneds tournament and finished 9th. I was scoring about average until I just ran out of steam. I have gotten out of shape over the winter and need to fix that too...

He has a really late wrist hinge as well, it looks like. Is that an issue? Should his shaft be more steep at A3? Or will that be a bonus from fixing the forearm rotation?

I am going to really start working on his swing as he is losing so much distance that he has trouble making GIRs. I have got to get him out of the push slice that he has.

Bryan A

• 3 weeks later...

Here are two videos from today. I wanted to post the latest swings to get more advice on what our next step should be.

Bryan A

• Administrator

Get moving forward and opening a bit more dynamically. Impact is kinda "flat-footed."

Arms are a tad slow coming down too, though, partly because they're so inward at A5. So if the above isn't something that clicks… he could work on swinging his arm out a bit more at the top, in transition, so he's not stuck so 

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

(edited)
11 hours ago, iacas said:

Get moving forward and opening a bit more dynamically. Impact is kinda "flat-footed."

Arms are a tad slow coming down too, though, partly because they're so inward at A5. So if the above isn't something that clicks… he could work on swinging his arm out a bit more at the top, in transition, so he's not stuck so 

So maybe try the squish the ball drill or ball gate while working on hip turn? 

By slow, do you mean he needs to "add" more arm speed? Or will getting the weight moving forward with correct hip turn add the speed? I say that last part based off my experience with creating more, correct hip turn which seems to be trying to add more swing speed unintentionally.

I feel like his swing is so inward at A5 because the teacher we were using really stressed inside out and had jacob hitting around his alignment stick. Jacob most likely got the increased inside move from this.

Edited by TN94z

Bryan A

• Administrator
3 hours ago, TN94z said:

So maybe try the squish the ball drill or ball gate while working on hip turn? 

Squishing the ball, sure. Probably not the ball-gate thing.

3 hours ago, TN94z said:

By slow, do you mean he needs to "add" more arm speed?

Yes. And no, it's unlikely doing the hips will do much with the arms here. It may even make them relatively "slower."

3 hours ago, TN94z said:

I feel like his swing is so inward at A5 because the teacher we were using really stressed inside out and had jacob hitting around his alignment stick. Jacob most likely got the increased inside move from this.

Sounds likely. But yeah, he's really deep late in the downswing.

Sounds good. I'll work on a few things with him. Thanks!

Bryan A

• 3 weeks later...

Jacob and I played 18 this weekend. While playing, his driver wasn't getting any height and his hybrids were the same way. I started watching his routine and noticed his ball position on his driver was in the middle of his stance. I then noticed his ball placement on all of his long clubs were off. So I had him start checking his ball placement as part of his routine (should have been doing this all along). I made some changes and he immediately started getting more height and distance on those clubs. It helped is big fade as well. Now if we can just get rid of this cut, he will be in business. He has really made great improvements in his short game and putting. He's getting there.

The biggest problem is that he HATES doing drills. I have to force him to do them and then he will only do them when I am there. If he goes alone, no drills get done.

Bryan A

Note: This thread is 2473 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!