IGNORED

Advice on hitting irons from fairway

Note: This thread is 3116 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I actually tried to move the ball forward in my stance with my long irons (I don't have issues with the mid and short ones), and the only position I hit it well is middle of my stance

You've got to go with what works until you can find the real issue with your swing.

Good luck!

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I actually tried to move the ball forward in my stance with my long irons (I don't have issues with the mid and short ones), and the only position I hit it well is middle of my stance

So if you only hit it solid with it in the center of your stance, you know there is something going on with the swing (something causing a flip most likely) that needs to improve.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all, i am having a lot of trouble lately with my irons. I hit it fat, thin and other nasty issues. My problem is mostly off the deck. I hit my driver well as well as woods and hybrid from the tee, but give me an iron from the fairway and it gets pretty embarrassing. 

A friend was recommending a shorter backswing to keep things more compact and centered, something like L to L just to get my ball contact back on track again. It felt good and in my practice swing i was actually hitting ahead of the ball making divots in the correct area, and not behind it. The shots felt good and ball went nice and straight with a good sized divot. However, this was at the grass range, so i haven't had a chance to try it at the course yet, and i also not sure how i would hit with longer irons, but the shorter swing feels right to me. Any thoughts or similar experiences ? i am sure this has been talked about before in the forum :)

Driver: Callaway ft5
Fairway Wood: Willson Ultra
Hybrid: Willson Ultra 4h
Irons: Nike Vrs X
Wedges: Nike Vrs X
Sand Wedge: Willson Harmonized 56
Putter: Top Flite Mallet
Balls: Titliest pro v 1, Nike Mojo, Callaway, Willson
Bag: Sun Mountain 7 dividers.  

Hi all, i am having a lot of trouble lately with my irons. I hit it fat, thin and other nasty issues. My problem is mostly off the deck. I hit my driver well as well as woods and hybrid from the tee, but give me an iron from the fairway and it gets pretty embarrassing. 

A friend was recommending a shorter backswing to keep things more compact and centered, something like L to L just to get my ball contact back on track again. It felt good and in my practice swing i was actually hitting ahead of the ball making divots in the correct area, and not behind it. The shots felt good and ball went nice and straight with a good sized divot. However, this was at the grass range, so i haven't had a chance to try it at the course yet, and i also not sure how i would hit with longer irons, but the shorter swing feels right to me. Any thoughts or similar experiences ? i am sure this has been talked about before in the forum :)

Moved your post to this thread since it deals with similar issues and my recommendation is the same. You're not going to improve by asking questions without us seeing what's actually going on.

http://thesandtrap.com/forums/topic/84931-advice-on-hitting-irons-from-fairway/#comment-722568

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Note: This thread is 3116 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!