IGNORED

Advice on hitting irons from fairway

Note: This thread is 3089 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Funny enough I too played an executive course on friday, and didn't tee my bal on the par 3 It was great practice for the approach shots. I also noticed that when I stay more grounded in my backswing and keep upper body over the ball, and also made sure my leading foot is planted and hips don't slide, I did not top or fat shot.

Driver: Callaway ft5
Fairway Wood: Willson Ultra
Hybrid: Willson Ultra 4h
Irons: Nike Vrs X
Wedges: Nike Vrs X
Sand Wedge: Willson Harmonized 56
Putter: Top Flite Mallet
Balls: Titliest pro v 1, Nike Mojo, Callaway, Willson
Bag: Sun Mountain 7 dividers.  

Do some research on ball position it has 100% to do with how you hit the ball thin fat etc.. There are some weight distribution and alignment causes but for irons it;s all ball placement.

https://www.google.com/search?q=ball+position+irons&newwindow;=1&espv;=2&source;=lnms&tbm;=isch&sa;=X&ved;=0CAgQ_AUoAmoVChMI6MvL1L2HyAIVipqICh3LhQq_&biw;=1082&bih;=955#imgdii=aDN0KiL3mGSniM%3A%3BaDN0KiL3mGSniM%3A%3BihJu-dhMok2f6M%3A&imgrc;=aDN0KiL3mGSniM%3A

• Administrator
Do some research on ball position it has 100% to do with how you hit the ball thin fat etc.. There are some weight distribution and alignment causes but for irons it;s all ball placement.

No, it definitely isn't "all ball placement."

In fact, I've seen people go through this vicious cycle:

1. Player hits behind ball.
  2. Player moves ball back in stance.
  3. Works for a little bit but then player begins tipping backward to hit ball higher.
  4. Go to step 1. Repeat.

It is not "all ball placement" with the irons.

I'm very conscious of the difference between "fact" and "opinion" @Mike Boatright but most of the advice you give in threads here is as close to "wrong" as an opinion can get, IMO.

@Jonathan Zach , welcome to the site. You'll learn that feel isn't real, and that the best thing you can probably do is start a Member Swing thread so we can see exactly what it is you're doing and help you with that.

You likely lack Key #2, and you can find out more about it at http://5sk.com/ or here on the site if you search for "5SK" or "5 Simple Keys"®.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I do put my ball in middle of stance for all my clubs.

I do put my ball in middle of stance for all my clubs.

I would avoid that, see @iacas 's post above.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

No, it definitely isn't "all ball placement."

In fact, I've seen people go through this vicious cycle:

Player hits behind ball.

Player moves ball back in stance.

Works for a little bit but then player begins tipping backward to hit ball higher.

Go to step 1. Repeat.

It is not "all ball placement" with the irons.

I'm very conscious of the difference between "fact" and "opinion" @Mike Boatright but most of the advice you give in threads here is as close to "wrong" as an opinion can get, IMO.

@Jonathan Zach, welcome to the site. You'll learn that feel isn't real, and that the best thing you can probably do is start a Member Swing thread so we can see exactly what it is you're doing and help you with that.

You likely lack Key #2, and you can find out more about it at http://5sk.com/ or here on the site if you search for "5SK" or "5 Simple Keys"®.

I get all of my sources from tried and true factual articles like this book above. Ask martin hall,David leadbetter,The golf fix guy and ball position with irons will be a prime factor in determining if you hit fat or thin. Hey I'm sure there are other causes but the guy seems like a good athlete he said he hit 230 yards with his woods which are more forgiving than the irons! A little set up tweak and proper ball position could help the guy but you already knew that right?

Yeah. I also practice my impact position and straight left wrist at impact lately and it seems to help.

I get all of my sources from tried and true factual articles like this book above. Ask martin hall,David leadbetter,The golf fix guy and ball position with irons will be a prime factor in determining if you hit fat or thin. Hey I'm sure there are other causes but the guy seems like a good athlete he said he hit 230 yards with his woods which are more forgiving than the irons! A little set up tweak and proper ball position could help the guy but you already knew that right?

Seriously?

Too many authors, commentators, and the Golf Fix Guy are still teaching details from the '30's-80's, still don't know the ball flight laws, and still do not set you up to work the ball. Ledbetter? His turn in a barrel screwed golfers in the '90's, probably so you'd buy a lesson from him in Florida.

Put away the books, the magazines, and avoid TGC, although Martin Hall seems decent, try not to listen to old pros, and get with modern methods.

Moving back the ball does not help your flight, may not help you avoid hitting the ground -- what avoids hitting the ground is weight forward, flat left wrist at impact, among other factors.

It's just free advice, but instead of responding to threads with out of date and poor advice, read the many threads in the forums reading 5SK, TST's Greatest Hits, etc.

I've learned more here than from any book, magazine, TGC, or old pro. Read the instructional threads - listen, learn, get familiar with the forum.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

I get all of my sources from tried and true factual articles like this book above. Ask martin hall,David leadbetter,The golf fix guy and ball position with irons will be a prime factor in determining if you hit fat or thin.

They are wrong. I can take a 7 iron, put the ball off the inside of my left foot, and hit the the ball and take a divot. Ball position isn't the primary reason for hitting it thin or fat. Heck most players would do better if they move the ball forward because it would force them get their weight forward and their hands forward at impact.

Too many authors, commentators, and the Golf Fix Guy are still teaching details from the '30's-80's, still don't know the ball flight laws, and still do not set you up to work the ball. Ledbetter? His turn in a barrel screwed golfers in the '90's, probably so you'd buy a lesson from him in Florida.

Pretty much. Some people have started to change their way of thinking. Most of the commentators and golf instructors in golf magazines and on TV don't have a clue of what they are talking about.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

I get all of my sources from tried and true factual articles like this book above. Ask martin hall,David leadbetter,The golf fix guy

Comments like this make me wonder whether you are joking or trolling the site. I seriously hope it's not the latter.

ball position with irons will be a prime factor in determining if you hit fat or thin. Hey I'm sure there are other causes but the guy seems like a good athlete he said he hit 230 yards with his woods which are more forgiving than the irons!

Use some common sense @Mike Boatright , ball position is not a prime factor in determining contact. You can play the ball well forward and hit it solid or play it back and hit it crappy. Depends on what the golfer is doing with their swing.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

They are wrong. I can take a 7 iron, put the ball off the inside of my left foot, and hit the the ball and take a divot. Ball position isn't the primary reason for hitting it thin or fat. Heck most players would do better if they move the ball forward because it would force them get their weight forward and their hands forward at impact.

Pretty much. Some people have started to change their way of thinking. Most of the commentators and golf instructors in golf magazines and on TV don't have a clue of what they are talking about.

I agree great point I play all my shots more forward. Stuff in these books are set in stone as the fundamentals you can have new gurus if you want but these have been true and will always be true that's why there are the fundamentals.

Comments like this make me wonder whether you are joking or trolling the site. I seriously hope it's not the latter.

Use some common sense @Mike Boatright, ball position is not a prime factor in determining contact. You can play the ball well forward and hit it solid or play it back and hit it crappy. Depends on what the golfer is doing with their swing.

I'm not trolling anything i'm citing sources.

Seriously?

Put away the books, the magazines, and avoid TGC, although Martin Hall seems decent, try not to listen to old pros, and get with modern methods.

Moving back the ball does not help your flight, may not help you avoid hitting the ground -- what avoids hitting the ground is weight forward, flat left wrist at impact, among other factors.

It's just free advice, but instead of responding to threads with out of date and poor advice, read the many threads in the forums reading 5SK, TST's Greatest Hits, etc.

I've learned more here than from any book, magazine, TGC, or old pro. Read the instructional threads - listen, learn, get familiar with the forum.

You will get more information from the great players and teachers of the past than any Sean Foley fly by night guru can teach just my opinion.

• Administrator
I agree great point I play all my shots more forward. Stuff in these books are set in stone as the fundamentals you can have new gurus if you want but these have been true and will always be true that's why there are the fundamentals.

No they aren't. Old books say the ball starts on the path and can't even get those things right.

We learn more about the golf swing, physiology, anatomy, etc. all the time.

Well, at least, I do.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

You will get more information from the great players and teachers of the past than any Sean Foley fly by night guru can teach just my opinion.

So the fact that Jack Nicklaus refutes the advice you were offering to others means nothing to you?

You sir, are a golf idiot. :-$

(I mean that with good intentions to slap you into reality)

Tell ya' what, Bud. All great players have certain similarities although the swings may be of different eras. The 5SK folks did their research.

You open your big mouth too much around here, as Phil McGleno tried to tell you. Read, Watch, learn. Your ego is just too large and your insistence on being right is downright funny yet sad. You have no idea of who you are or of reality.

Enjoy your fantasy life. :whistle:

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

I actually tried to move the ball forward in my stance with my long irons (I don't have issues with the mid and short ones), and the only position I hit it well is middle of my stance

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Boatright

So the fact that Jack Nicklaus refutes the advice you were offering to others means nothing to you?

You sir, are a golf idiot.

(I mean that with good intentions to slap you into reality)

Tell ya' what, Bud. All great players have certain similarities although the swings may be of different eras. The 5SK folks did their research.

You open your big mouth too much around here, as Phil McGleno tried to tell you. Read, Watch, learn. Your ego is just too large and your insistence on being right is downright funny yet sad. You have no idea of who you are or of reality.

Enjoy your fantasy life.

Please refrain from belittling other posters regardless of what you think of them. This starts flame wars.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Note: This thread is 3089 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!