IGNORED

USGA Pace of Play Survey

iacas
Note: This thread is 3084 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I said 10% too.  I don't love slow play, but it doesn't drive me nuts.  And I tend not to play at the busiest times, weekend mornings.

10.5 deg Ping G30, Callaway X2 Hot Pro 3W, Taylor Made Rescue 3H, Ping G30 irons
Cleveland TA 900 SW, Mizuno T-Zoid LW, Odyssey DF Rossie I

http://golfshot.com/members/0622056080

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I voted 10% more.   I get to play at least twice per week but I'd love to squeeze in another 9 after work if the pace was quicker.  

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

Voted 25% more. It's an important thing for me for a couple reasons. I play better when I'm not waiting and like @iacas said, my time is valuable.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

I want the pace of play to allow a foursome walking, in around 3.hrs 45 minute, to 4 hours. I play as a member of semi private club. We allow guest and greenfee players and provide a welcome attitude for the most part,  but day in day out, the heavy support is from members.  Heaviest tee off times are from 07:00 to 11:00.  A mid afternoon round will find you have the course  to yourself and many members will play a two ball practice in a 5 hole circuit close to the clubhouse. Course condition is my top priority, Clubhouse amenities and condition is why golf costs went nuts. Put the money in the course and have a bar with cold drinks,

6500 a month seems a lot for just a month. 

In Ohio we average 12.5 hours of daylight for the golfing season. If you are able to complete a 4 hour round that leaves you about 50 groups a day that can play 18 holes if you use 10 minute tee times. If the courses were packed daily that would be 1500 per month. 

If you have a state like Florida which averages about 12 hours of sunlight for the whole year. If you have 10 minute tee times you can only fit 1440 of 18 hole rounds of golf in a month. 

Number of rounds are expressed as in individuals playing a round.  You are counting number of rounds as in number of groups.  So multiply by 4, and you are getting pretty close.  :doh:

Also, lots of courses use 7 or minutes between tee times: alternating 7 and 8 minutes (which a few courses do around here), you can have 8 groups per hour, so 68 groups able to finish in 4 hours and another 16 groups who can play 9 holes or more, for a total of 336 players a day.  That's about 10,000 rounds a month!... In theory... as of course they can't all play in 4 hours.

One of the munis I play regularly has easily over 60,000 rounds (players) per year, I am told.

Philippe

:callaway: Maverick Driver, 3W, 5W Big Bertha 
:mizuno: JPX 900 Forged 4-GW
:mizuno:  T7 55-09 and 60-10 forged wedges,
:odyssey: #7 putter (Slim 3.0 grip)

6500 a month seems a lot for just a month. 

In Ohio we average 12.5 hours of daylight for the golfing season. If you are able to complete a 4 hour round that leaves you about 50 groups a day that can play 18 holes if you use 10 minute tee times. If the courses were packed daily that would be 1500 per month. 

If you have a state like Florida which averages about 12 hours of sunlight for the whole year. If you have 10 minute tee times you can only fit 1440 of 18 hole rounds of golf in a month. 

Remember, each group is 4 players - that's 4 rounds per group.  Your numbers would be 6000 rounds in a 30 day month.  At the course I was talking about it would be between 8000 and 9000 players per month.  

The reality is that the course doesn't completely fill every day, so that would cut it down somewhat, but I know that they have recorded in the neighborhood of 90,000 rounds in a year, and they have winter here.  During the peak months, they can hit 7000-8000 players per month on the 18 hole course.  Those are actual numbers from the pro shop.  If I include the 9 hole Executive course and the 9 hole par 3 course, they have recorded over 140,000 rounds in a calendar year.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Remember, each group is 4 players - that's 4 rounds per group.  Your numbers would be 6000 rounds in a 30 day month.  At the course I was talking about it would be between 8000 and 9000 players per month.  

The reality is that the course doesn't completely fill every day, so that would cut it down somewhat, but I know that they have recorded in the neighborhood of 90,000 rounds in a year, and they have winter here.  During the peak months, they can hit 7000-8000 players per month on the 18 hole course.  Those are actual numbers from the pro shop.  If I include the 9 hole Executive course and the 9 hole par 3 course, they have recorded over 140,000 rounds in a calendar year.

Thanks for the correction, After doing the math I would agree that there's no way they could stay open on 6500 rounds a year... I think I'll ask someone else that question next time I play.

I voted 20% because I hate long grueling rounds, but I'm also pretty spoiled here in south Florida my average round $30-40 in summer $40-50 in winter, so 20% is only like $5-10 extra, and these are the nicer courses you could play for much cheaper.

I would suggest that course condition and course design have a major impact on pace of play. Courses where the bunkers are washed out, or the timbers have fallen into the creek bed make finding your ball difficult. Likewise, blind tee shots into tight landing areas are a major speedbump for good pace of play.

Also, for this era the survey had a major flaw: it asked if we were primarily public course or private course players. They left out semi-private, which takes in about half the golfers in our county.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

I belong to a semi-private course, and will have played roughly 250 rounds (at least 5 a week) by the end of this year. At least twice a week, our group is first off at 7:00 a.m. and we're always done by 10:15. Two other days we start at about 8:30 a.m., and typically finish between 12:00 and 12:15. For the most part, slow play is not generally an issue at our club. But we do see slow play when we play some of the other courses nearby, and there's one course that we've crossed off our playlist due to it's consistently 4 1/2 to 5 hour rounds.

I said I'd pay 10% more, but that would only apply to courses other than my home track. I pay just under $2,200 a year for unlimited golf, but that doesn't include a cart. I walk and use a pushcart 95% of the time. I really do hate slow play, particularly when it's caused by weekend warriors who can't break 95 or 100 but insist on playing the tips. That's brutal! 

I belong to a semi-private course, and will have played roughly 250 rounds (at least 5 a week) by the end of this year. At least twice a week, our group is first off at 7:00 a.m. and we're always done by 10:15. Two other days we start at about 8:30 a.m., and typically finish between 12:00 and 12:15. For the most part, slow play is not generally an issue at our club. But we do see slow play when we play some of the other courses nearby, and there's one course that we've crossed off our playlist due to it's consistently 4 1/2 to 5 hour rounds.

I said I'd pay 10% more, but that would only apply to courses other than my home track. I pay just under $2,200 a year for unlimited golf, but that doesn't include a cart. I walk and use a pushcart 95% of the time. I really do hate slow play, particularly when it's caused by weekend warriors who can't break 95 or 100 but insist on playing the tips. That's brutal! 

That's a lot of golf! You're my hero! I am lucky if I get to play 3 times a week. 

The course has some effect on pace. Example: On of my favorite courses has a par 3 as the second hole. It almost always backs up there.

But mostly, it is the players that create pace issues. We have tons of threads on this, so I won't elaborate.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Sounds like a government solution to a problem. Pay more for better pace of play. Throw more money at a problem, and that will solve it. Unfortunatelty, when a course is busy, there are players of all skill levels, the tee times are close, some are riding, some are walking, there will be some backups. Some guys, regardless of their skill, are just naturally slow. Guys get behind, and get warnings, although no penalties, on the PGA Tour. I would bet Old Tom Morris complained about pace of play. I know that sometimes I will play fast, and sometimes I'll play slow, I just have to adapt.

Sounds like a government solution to a problem. Pay more for better pace of play. Throw more money at a problem, and that will solve it. Unfortunatelty, when a course is busy, there are players of all skill levels, the tee times are close, some are riding, some are walking, there will be some backups. Some guys, regardless of their skill, are just naturally slow. Guys get behind, and get warnings, although no penalties, on the PGA Tour. I would bet Old Tom Morris complained about pace of play. I know that sometimes I will play fast, and sometimes I'll play slow, I just have to adapt.

I agree to an extent, but a course could have 10 to 15 minute gaps in tee times, charge more to make up the difference and it surely would help pace of play to a degree. Courses could also use the added revenue to hire rangers (or starters in the case of some of the courses I play). No matter what you do, you'll always have people that are a problem some times.

Sounds like a government solution to a problem. Pay more for better pace of play. Throw more money at a problem, and that will solve it. 

Great point. Unfortunately, government is notoriously bad a fixing problems (I'm sure you know this).

Slow play is a problem that's damn near unfixable. I'd like to see snipers shoot anyone that can't play 18 holes in less than 3:20 hours. But, I doubt my suggestion will put into practice.

That's a lot of golf! You're my hero! I am lucky if I get to play 3 times a week. 

The course has some effect on pace. Example: On of my favorite courses has a par 3 as the second hole. It almost always backs up there.

But mostly, it is the players that create pace issues. We have tons of threads on this, so I won't elaborate.

I can play so often because I'm retired and my wife still works full time. She'll be retiring in April, so my rounds played may take a hit then. LOL.

I see you're from the Boston area. I've lived in California for about 40 years, but I grew up in Norwood. I'll be heading back there in about a week to celebrate the birthday of one of my grandkids, who lives in Arlington. I'm not sure if I'm bringing the clubs, as the weather could be iffy. 

I voted I would not pay more.  About half the year I belong to a private club and half the year (Winter) I am a public course golfer in the Phoenix metro area.  I probably play, on average, twice a week with a few tournaments thrown in.  Since I am retired I don't play on weekends very often.  Only when one of the grandsons want to play.  I will say that during the Winter, even on weekdays, the pace can be slower than I like but usually it is minimally slower and not too much waiting.  Most of the public courses have "rangers" to keep the pace of play acceptable since Winter and desert weather is what keeps them in business.  Anyway I am frugal by nature (my wife says cheap) and don't want to spend more than I have to on golf.  After all it is just a game I do because it is fun.

Butch

If there was a money back guarantee I would pay more at peak time, not sure how much more.

But I typically avoid peak times hoping it won't be a factor when I am there. I'm doubtful any courses I play could even pull it off. I blame management more than slow golfers.

Being I mostly play alone unlikely they could ever find a reasonable pace for me. I'd rather fly around the course alone after work in a couple hours than play a three hour round in a group.

Dave :-)

Note: This thread is 3084 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!