IGNORED

Not being asked to play through

dazza78
Note: This thread is 3065 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

(edited)

This does happen sometimes the best thing you can do is play the hole you just played again or wait for them to to off and because you know they are super slow just skip ahead when they are looking for their bad tee shots.

Thats what i thought about doing, just teeing off whilst they were looking then just walked up and played again.. they actually ended up going backwards on more than one occasion, by hitting a few trees.  Which I've done myself, but that's just to show how their day was going.

I agree with the above..

While the USGA has changed the etiquette section to give standing to a single as a "group", when I go on a course as a single I consider myself as having no standing and have no expectation that anyone or group will allow me to play through.  Many times people do suggest I play through and that is nice.  I don't ask, however, unless/until I am a part of an actual group of 2-4, and then only when clearly the hold-up is the group in front.

I know the aspect of me being on my own has no standing, and thats why I didn't ask if I could to be honest, I was waiting on them to just do the honourable thing, as I was clearly quicker, not because I was rushing, but because I was hitting it longer and better, despite only using my irons.  They obviously were either stuck in their ways, or going by the book...  but when another member joined me as a two-ball we were both surprised by their attitude.

Edited by dazza78

At our course, it's well understood by everyone that singles have no standing whatsoever. We won't let singles go through...period. But when somebody else joins you, now it's a different ball game. If you're a 2-some, and they're a 2-some, and they're clearly holding you up, I wouldn't be shy at all about asking to go through, especially if they've got 2 or 3 holes open in front of them. If you ask them, and they blow you off, I'd be calling the pro shop for them to get a marshal out there. 

I don't get this at all. If I am playing in a foursome and a single comes behind us I'd be a real douchebag not to immediately offer to let them play through. Why would it completely change because they have an extra person?

• Upvote 2

Driver: Nike VRS Covert 2.0
3W:  Nike VRS Covert
3H:  Nike VRS Covert 2.0
4H:  Nike VRS Covert 2.0
5-AW:  Nike  VRS-X
SW:  Nike VRS Covert
LW:  Nike VRS X3X 60*
Putter:  Nike Method MC-3i

They probably didn't know the etiquette, so it was on you to ask, people can be clueless on the course.

What they should have done is ask you to join them at the tee box, if you declined for whatever reason then offer to play through, but really a two-some and a single should join up to play together.

So today I was playing alone, but I kept catching the two in front up.  There was nobody ahead of them for at least four holes.

i kept waiting on the tee and on the fairway. Trying to keep my momentum going by taking practice swings, it was hard going!

not once despite standing by them at the tee a few times, did they offer me to play thru.  It got me quite agitated inside, disturbing my swing a few times.

i know I was alone but another player caught me up so I asked him to join me, to try and give them a hint. They still didn't budge.

what are your thoughts, what would you have done on both sides? Would you have said play thru if you were them, would you have asked if you were me, and later us?

this went in for nearly 17 holes!

I had just the opposite last weekend.
I was out in the western part of the state, playing an unfamiliar course by myself.
The 2 guys in front of me were hacking it up and hitting 5 shots to the green. They asked me to play through numerous times and I declined. The reason being that I had no idea where my ball was going to land, where to look for it or how far I was going to hit into the fairway.
I ended up using the guys as a guide to which fairway I was hitting.
In some cases I was landing 10 yards away from them. I apologized many times and explained myself.
But atleast the asked if I want to play through.
Now if they had asked me to join......

The guys in front of you were most likely jerks!

Edited by Elmer

In my Grom:

Driver-Taylormade 10.5 Woods- Taylomade 3 wood, taylormade 4 Hybrid
Irons- Callaway Big Berthas 5i - GW Wedges- Titles Volkey  Putter- Odyssey protype #9
Ball- Bridgestone E6
All grips Golf Pride

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I don't get this at all. If I am playing in a foursome and a single comes behind us I'd be a real douchebag not to immediately offer to let them play through. Why would it completely change because they have an extra person?

I agrree with this as well.  

Why wouldn't you let someone through if there was 4 open holes ahead?

• Upvote 1

-Matt-

"does it still count as a hit fairway if it is the next one over"

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

I've had this very same experience earlier this year after a pair of hackers jumped the 10th tee on me. There aren't supposed to be back nine starts, but it was 3 p.m. so the volunteer starter was at the bar by this point.

I'm afraid that I didn't handle it very well. After a few holes of watching and waiting, I banged my ball onto a par 3 as soon as they vacated, rushed to the hole and knocked the ball in with three fast putts to catch them on the 13th tee. They wouldn't even look at me. Same on 14. At that point, I gave up, cut over to the 18th and played to the parking lot.

Lately, when I'm playing as a single, I will tell the group in front of me that I'm playing several balls per hole and not to feel rushed.  I think they appreciate that.  I hate feeling rushed.

Playing as a single a few weeks ago, playing multiple balls, a twosome came up on me.  So I started playing only one ball.  They were still pushing me.  They would jump out of the cart a just hit the ball. No practice swing.  Wouldn't take the pin out when putting.  No nothing.  They'd both hit at the same time.  I think they may have been playing some sort of speed golf.  I let them play through and went back to hitting multiple balls.

Driver.......Ping K15 9.5* stiff 3 wood.....Ping K15 16* stiff 5 wood.....Ping K15 19* stiff 4 Hybrid...Cleveland Gliderail 23* stiff 5 - PW......Pinhawk SL GW...........Tommy Armour 52* SW...........Tommy Armour 56* LW...........Tommy Armour 60* FW...........Diamond Tour 68* Putter.......Golfsmith Dyna Mite Ball..........Volvik Vista iV Green Bag..........Bennington Quiet Organizer Shoes.... ..Crocs

Lately, when I'm playing as a single, I will tell the group in front of me that I'm playing several balls per hole and not to feel rushed.  I think they appreciate that.  I hate feeling rushed.

Playing as a single a few weeks ago, playing multiple balls, a twosome came up on me.  So I started playing only one ball.  They were still pushing me.  They would jump out of the cart a just hit the ball. No practice swing.  Wouldn't take the pin out when putting.  No nothing.  They'd both hit at the same time.  I think they may have been playing some sort of speed golf.  I let them play through and went back to hitting multiple balls.

A week ago or so I was playing as a single, in a cart, playing one ball but taking my time as the course was full in front of me. I was waiting on a twosome in front of me who was waiting on a threesome in front of them and so on. Not long waits, a few minutes between shots or so. I hadn't seen anyone behind me but next thing I know as I pulled up around behind a green after my approach went just a bit long I saw a twosome pull up to a ball down the fairway just off what would be the right side coming from the tee. Since the group in front of me was still on the tee I didn't hop out of the cart right away and watched the guys behind me. I thought they were playing the adjacent previous hole, however the next thing I know one of the guys hits his ball at the green that I'm park next to. Then the guy with him plays his shot as well. I never waved them up, didn't really have time to, nor had they asked to play through. As I sat there deciding what to do about the situation I figured the best course of action was just to let it go and let them finish playing through. I was in no hurry and they were only going to end up waiting on the people in front of me anyway. This is actually what I thought the OP was meaning when I read the title "not being asked to play through". 

Edited by Jeremie Boop

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

I like to play fast.  About 2:15 solo, 2:45 for a twosome, and not more than 3:30 for a foursome. I also dislike being stuck behind some yahoos with a few open holes ahead. But sometimes we seem to lose track of how pleasant it is to just be out on the golf course.

On a recent trip, I booked a round at a very nice course as a single.  After I checked in, the starter was very apologetic, saying that he didn't have anyone to pair me with, and there was a group of 4 foursomes ahead that he could tell were very slow hackers just by their performance on the first tee.  I thanked him and told myself, nothing is going to ruin this wonderful day, not even a 5:15 round.  I walked back to the tips on every tee just to see what the pros saw.  I pulled the level out of my bag and charted about a half dozen greens, even though I probably will never be there again. I dropped extra balls in odd places.  I chatted up the rangers and the cart girls. In short, I had a great time, and never once swore at the group ahead for being bozos.

Don't let the idiots ruin your day!

Marshall

The one time I didn't ask a singleton to play through was when there were two singletons behind us, and we had just let one through. We let the second through after a couple additional holes, but honestly, we just didn't feel like sitting and waiting for two players to finish the hole behind us separately then tee off no matter how fast they were, and they caught us fast. They should have joined up, IMHO. Then if they were still faster, there would have been no question but to let them through. I think it was sort of selfish for them to play as singles one behind the other since they are disruptive. Singletons should be aware that they can be disruptive. I play as a singleton a lot and I try not to disrupt groups, if possible. Even if it means practicing chipping or putting while waiting for the group in front to tee off unless they are unconscionably slow. When they stop and wait for me, I try to play through as quickly as possible, but I always enjoy joining groups that are less than four. 

I appreciate what you're saying, but I think that the concept of singles having no standing is more the norm than the exception. Now if a single comes up behind us and there's nobody in front of us for several holes, then we probably would wave him through. But the more likely scenario is that there are multiple groups in front of us, with nowhere for the single to go even if we did let him through. 

A course where I used to play had a blanket rule that no singles were ever allowed...period. It was that way there for at least 25 years until they altered the policy to only allow singles at the discretion of the pro shop during off-peak hours. There's a reason that the "no singles" policy was in effect there for so long. If you're going to allow singles to play anytime with no guidelines, you're just asking for problems. Every now and then, I'll go out by myself, but it's always late in the day and I'm out there trying to work on one part of my game or another. During those times, I would never expect others (be it 2-some, 3-some, 4-some, whatever) to let me go through. 

The bottom line? A single should never have the expectation that he's entitled to play through when he encounters other groups of 2 or more...period.  

Ran into something similar, but it was light raining ... the group in front were under the trees out of the light rain.  When we drove up, the two in the back said to ahead they were waiting for it to stop, but one guy in the cart at the tee box, got out of his cart, and stood on the tee box with that stink eye look ... in the awkward moment the other two explained they said it was OK ... 

We tee off, and while we on the green, MR Stink-eye is in the fairway by his ball, with the "hands on the hip will you hurry up" stance ...and it was still raining???  He hated that we want ahead even though they were waiting for it to stop raining.

Anyway it was awkward and when we walked off the 18th, Mr Stink-eye was on the 16th fairway ... 

Some folks just feel entitled to their place on the course, regardless of what the situation calls for.  

Edited by isukgolf

Ken Proud member of the iSuk Golf Association ... Sponsored by roofing companies across the US, Canada, and the UK

At our course, it's well understood by everyone that singles have no standing whatsoever. We won't let singles go through...period. But when somebody else joins you, now it's a different ball game. If you're a 2-some, and they're a 2-some, and they're clearly holding you up, I wouldn't be shy at all about asking to go through, especially if they've got 2 or 3 holes open in front of them. If you ask them, and they blow you off, I'd be calling the pro shop for them to get a marshal out there. 

I agree with the above.

While the USGA has changed the etiquette section to give standing to a single as a "group", when I go on a course as a single I consider myself as having no standing and have no expectation that anyone or group will allow me to play through.  Many times people do suggest I play through and that is nice.  I don't ask, however, unless/until I am a part of an actual group of 2-4, and then only when clearly the hold-up is the group in front.

@Pendragon and @bkuehn1952, I had never heard of this. Is it just tradition or is there a reason that singles are regarded differently? Serious question.  I'd like to have a better understanding of etiquette even if I don't agree with it.

Sorry @Pendragon, I just noticed your response after I posted.

Edited by JonMA1

Jon

Several years ago I was paired with a couple of older ladies.  We were having a good time.  The course was playing slow with no open holes in front of us.  A couple of drunks came up to us on the 14th tee box and rudely asked us to let them play through.  I refused and told them there was nowhere to go.  They started yaking that we sucked and let them play through.  I hadn't teed off yet.  Just so happened I unloaded over a 300 yarder and they skulked away.

When we were on the 17th fairway, they barreled across our fairway heading for the parking lot cursing about the slow play.  I can't remember what I said, but knowing me it probably wasn't very courteous.  One guy (bigger than me) jumps out of his cart and comes at me.  I calmly pulled my putter out of my bag.  His partner runs to his buddy and stops him.  If he would have kept coming, I don't know if I would have swung for his torso or his head.  I'm sure burying a putter in someone's skull would probably ruin a perfectly good putter.

I'm glad I golf for the relaxation, sportsmanship and camaraderie. :-D

Driver.......Ping K15 9.5* stiff 3 wood.....Ping K15 16* stiff 5 wood.....Ping K15 19* stiff 4 Hybrid...Cleveland Gliderail 23* stiff 5 - PW......Pinhawk SL GW...........Tommy Armour 52* SW...........Tommy Armour 56* LW...........Tommy Armour 60* FW...........Diamond Tour 68* Putter.......Golfsmith Dyna Mite Ball..........Volvik Vista iV Green Bag..........Bennington Quiet Organizer Shoes.... ..Crocs

@Pendragon and @bkuehn1952, I had never heard of this. Is it just tradition or is there a reason that singles are regarded differently? Serious question.  I'd like to have a better understanding of etiquette even if I don't agree with it.

Sorry @Pendragon, I just noticed your response after I posted.

I believe that traditionally golf tended to be played as match play versus stroke play.  So anyone out on the course was presumed to be playing a match of some sort.  A single golfer clearly could not be playing a match and so it was felt he/she had no standing and should not disrupt actual matches that were being played.  In the USA, we play stroke play or the player against par versus match play.  The USGA actually changed the "Single players have no standing" portion of the etiquette section and per the USGA, if a single player overtakes any group and there is space in front, the slower group should allow the single to play through.  Some clubs likely still follow the old standard of no standing for singles out of tradition.

Frankly, golf is supposed to be a social game.  Pairing up singles is the social thing to do. I like it when the course takes the initiative and slots me in with another 1-3 golfers when I show up as a single.  It reduces the disruption to larger groups from a parade of singles moving so quickly.  Certainly at slow times playing as a single is perfectly acceptable and I do that, too.  Most of the time people find it easier to let a single through but I won't push anyone ahead of me or expect them to just stand aside.

Brian Kuehn

I don't like to play as a single, but as I am new to the club it's rare I get to play with other members, none of my friends play golf.. so I am in a difficult situation.  To play golf I have to go solo, I have played a few times with other members.  In fact I would have been happy to make a three ball with the guys in front, but the body language and look of their faces showed I wasn't welcome, the fact they completely ignored me all game made me uncomfortable.  Hence why I wasn't sure if I should have approached them about playing thru'

For that matter I was quite glad when another solo member caught me up, I was happy to ask him if he wanted to make a two ball with me, one to get to know another member, and then see how the group in front would take that on board.  In the end I got to meet a new member and certainly got left with plenty of time to chat.

Note: This thread is 3065 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!