IGNORED

1st Tee Etiquette

Note: This thread is 2067 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I never had to worry about players going to the tee without checking in, because it simply wasn't allowed. 

Agree with you that the OP should went straight to the tee box.  

Muni courses around here don't have starters after certain hour, sometimes after 1:00 pm.   It is 1st come, 1st serve for all intents and purposes, and it leads to a confrontations time to time.

Edited by rkim291968
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Maybe that starter told the other group to go ahead when ready and thought you would have tee'd off by the time the other group checked in.

That's exactly what I was thinking, but I didn't know if he practiced putting and chipping for something like 2 minutes or so?

My first comment is, if the starter told me to go ahead when ready, I'd have told him that I planned to chip and putt for bit before I went to the tee.  My assumption would have been that when he said that, he expected that I was making my way to the tee in a more direct manner.  

When I was working as a starter, and a player checked in during a slow period, I might say the same thing to him, but I'd also caution him that if he dallied, to check with me again before going to the tee, as I often got a lot of walk on players in the 3 to 4 PM time frame (especially on Fridays) and I still needed to have control of the first tee.  

I never had to worry about players going to the tee without checking in, because it simply wasn't allowed.  If I saw someone on the tee who wasn't on my sheet, he didn't tee off.  I'd page him over the PA system to come and check in.  Nobody played a stroke in that course without the starter's permission.  During slow times when there was no starter, the tee sheet was kept in the pro shop and you were slotted into a time when you paid your fees if you didn't have a reservation.  It was expected that you would be on the tee when your time came up.

that is good advice. I did in fact tell him my plans and he was good with it. Only putted and chipped for about 5 minutes then checked to make sure no one was getting ready before heading over. 

Agree with you that the OP should went straight to the tee box.  

Muni courses around here don't have starters after certain hour, sometimes after 1:00 pm.   It is 1st come, 1st serve for all intents and purposes, and it leads to a confrontations time to time.

this is really more the way my home course works. You often have to find starter once it's past noon and they are very nonchalant

I wouldn't worry about this in the future. Just play like you did except no need for hard stares.

It seems like they expected you to tee off first, anyway. There might have been some apprehension on their part regarding seeing your daughter in the cart. They might have simply thought you would let them pass as you were playing with your daughter, which could account for their comment about her being your "caddy" as opposed to playing. Once they saw you were a single playing, they were probably somewhat relieved they didn't need to wait.

^ this, and very obvious - it's pretty normal for someone playing with a kid to immediately offer to let groups ahead.  they might have even been trying to be courteous by getting up there fast so you and your daughter wouldn't have a long wait

simply commenting that you're a single and not coaching your daughter likely would have fixed everything

c'mon people, TALK to each other.  It's not difficult,

if you're the OP "Hey guys, I'm a single and ready to go.  one second and I'll be down the hole"

If you're the 4-some "Hey, are you ready?  We're ready and think we can move on quick here to keep from pushing you and your daughter."  then maybe a joke that we'll wait if she's a big hittter....

heck, if the starter would have told them there's a single in front of them instead "there's a group ahead of you that just went out"

either way, then it's a quick check with each other and then off we go

Saturday we were waiting for the frost to thaw and finally got out.  I'm second single, after an old guy foursome.  I drive up to offer to jump to number 2 so I'm out of their hair and promise that I'm a fast player and will be long gone.  They laugh and offer to let me tee off number 1.  They tease my drive (long and straight), we smile, and in 3 minutes I'm done with the par 4 and long gone.  they've only hit 3 of the 4 drives by the time I'm driving to 2.  I talked to them and offered a solution - they did the same. IF it was really busy, sometime in the next couple holes I'd have sent a round of beers to them with the cart girl even. Much better than standing behind them, glare, and then post a thread here about some rude guys not offering to let me play through.

Edited by rehmwa

^ this, and very obvious - it's pretty normal for someone playing with a kid to immediately offer to let groups ahead.  they might have even been trying to be courteous by getting up there fast so you and your daughter wouldn't have a long wait

simply commenting that you're a single and not coaching your daughter likely would have fixed everything

c'mon people, TALK to each other.  It's not difficult,

if you're the OP "Hey guys, I'm a single and ready to go.  one second and I'll be down the hole"

If you're the 4-some "Hey, are you ready?  We're ready and think we can move on quick here to keep from pushing you and your daughter."  then maybe a joke that we'll wait if she's a big hittter....

heck, if the starter would have told them there's a single in front of them instead "there's a group ahead of you that just went out"

either way, then it's a quick check with each other and then off we go

Saturday we were waiting for the frost to thaw and finally got out.  I'm second single, after an old guy foursome.  I drive up to offer to jump to number 2 so I'm out of their hair and promise that I'm a fast player and will be long gone.  They laugh and offer to let me tee off number 1.  They tease my drive (long and straight), we smile, and in 3 minutes I'm done with the par 4 and long gone.  they've only hit 3 of the 4 drives by the time I'm driving to 2.  I talked to them and offered a solution - they did the same. IF it was really busy, sometime in the next couple holes I'd have sent a round of beers to them with the cart girl even. Much better than standing behind them, glare, and then post a thread here about some rude guys not offering to let me play through.

Absolutely, I agree with all of this, but as circumstances stood it was not my place to have to break the ice.  In the end, they shouldn't have even gotten that close in their golf carts (let alone jump out of them and just get up on the tee area) and should have let me tee off, OR, if they were going to go one of those routes they should have initiated the conversation. To me this was almost like trying to cut in line and expecting the person to just silently accept it (it at least gives the perception and perception often is reality).  They almost certainly didn't have a set tee time, and they came out of nowhere, it was not as if they were in the pro shop hanging out, or on the carts out front or also on the chipping green.  They got carts, loaded them and then proceeded to pull up on the first tee right behind us when we had barely just parked (at that point I don't know if they could even see my daughter-they could/should see there was only one bag of clubs on the cart).  

You can usually walk on, on my course in the afternoons and that is what everyone was doing at that time.  The "starter" is typically not concerned at all in the afternoons and will tell you to tee it up when you are ready.  I try my best to be overly correct and polite considering I am such a new golfer and try to leave nothing to interpretation where I can such as teeing off.  I communicated very clearly with the starter and our cart was right in front of the shop near the chipping green and we were on it, if only briefly.  

In the end, it really was not a big deal, more of an annoyance and I wanted to get other's perspective.  I was never discourteous to the people in any way through the entire interaction.  There were a few posts on here that I think were very good, that I didn't think about initially and am grateful for the other offers of what they may have been doing.  Certainly something to keep in mind and why I am glad to have this online community.

but as circumstances stood it was not my place to have to break the ice

I kind of overstated the position (which is my style - overdoing it and writing too much) - thanks for not taking it as harsh, it's just redundant and wry and a bit cynical (other things I overdo for my own craplitude).  You all ended up just fine.  and yes, it's presumptious (at best) or aggressive (at worst) that they drove up to the tee instead of pulling up to the practice area (I assume it's staged right near) and checking on you.

The only thing I disagree with is that it's the position of either party to speak up politely.  Most of these things are honest misunderstandings where each group really is doing what they think best.  The exceptions are usually rare and bit comical.

It's an odd world where we're so disconnected that we won't jsut say "Hi, what's going on?" and do it in way that comes across friendly rather than confrontative.

take care, hit 'em straight.

I kind of overstated the position (which is my style - overdoing it and writing too much) - thanks for not taking it as harsh, it's just redundant and wry and a bit cynical (other things I overdo for my own craplitude).  You all ended up just fine.  and yes, it's presumptious (at best) or aggressive (at worst) that they drove up to the tee instead of pulling up to the practice area (I assume it's staged right near) and checking on you.

The only thing I disagree with is that it's the position of either party to speak up politely.  Most of these things are honest misunderstandings where each group really is doing what they think best.  The exceptions are usually rare and bit comical.

It's an odd world where we're so disconnected that we won't jsut say "Hi, what's going on?" and do it in way that comes across friendly rather than confrontative.

take care, hit 'em straight.

You were all good in your response by me, no worries.  I definitely agree that we seem to live in a world where people are afraid to just communicate in person.  I don't have that problem, my wife kids me because I am the guy who will start a conversation with the person in front of me in line waiting to get popcorn at a movie theater (or wherever).  I just thought that if they were going to do that, it was up to them to at least address it/me and let me know why.  Ha!  I am definitely guilty of being long winded as well.Thanks for adding to the discussion!

Sounds like the same thing that happens everyday in the world.Some people think they are the only ones that matter.They also could be speed demons who  just cant wait.

Honestly this seems like much ado about nothing to me.  Nothing bad happened, the group just did not behave as the OP expected.  People will not always behave as we think they should, but nothing bad happened here or threatened to happen.  The conflict took place solely in the mind(s).  

Note: This thread is 2067 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!