Note: This thread is 2432 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Has anyone tried the device in a scramble?  I'm always interested in the data of course, and my club is going to have a scramble outing in two weeks that I might participate in.  This won't affect whether or not I play in it.  I'm just wondering how the device would react.  Is there a mode where I hit a shot, tag where it ends up, and possibly play my ball from somewhere else?

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator
5 hours ago, Shindig said:

Has anyone tried the device in a scramble?  I'm always interested in the data of course, and my club is going to have a scramble outing in two weeks that I might participate in.  This won't affect whether or not I play in it.  I'm just wondering how the device would react.  Is there a mode where I hit a shot, tag where it ends up, and possibly play my ball from somewhere else?

No. Using it in a scramble is pointless, IMO.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

10 hours ago, Shindig said:

I would use it in a scramble just to relive the round with my teammates later.  I think that would be fun.

Make sure to not include it in your statistics, and I'd delete the round once I was done with it.  I'd only leave it in GG for maybe a day or two.

7 hours ago, iacas said:

No. Using it in a scramble is pointless, IMO.

Thanks.  If I do end up playing in the scramble, I'll leave the game golf at home.  Of course, I won't let that stop me from playing the event if I'm able.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, darkgod87 said:

I had to stop using my GGL. That damn beep 

Welcome to TST.   We're glad you decided to join.  

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

Do we know if it counts putting from off the green as a putt or a short game shot?

I'm not sure I care, just the thought popped into my head. 

-- Michael | My swing! 

• Administrator
52 minutes ago, Shindig said:

Do we know if it counts putting from off the green as a putt or a short game shot?

I think it's just putts on the putting green… but you can create a round and enter fake data for a few holes… and then delete the round later.

@RandallT?

• Upvote 1

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

2 hours ago, Shindig said:

Pretty sure @iacas correct. Gotta be on green for putt. 

http://support.gamegolf.com/customer/en/portal/articles/2215255-strokes-gained-overview-everything-you-need-to-know

Definition of Categories:
Off the Tee: First shot on all Par 4 and Par 5 holes.
Approach: All shots over 100 yards/meters away from the hole that aren't par 4 or 5 tee shots. This will include the first shot on par 3 holes.
Short Game: All shots within 100 yards/meters of the hole that aren't on the green.
Putting: All shots on the green.

• Upvote 1

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

Thanks @iacas and @RandallT

-- Michael | My swing! 

• 3 weeks later...

I know I've posted plenty of par-3 courses in GG before, but now it worries me (slightly):  is it smart enough to not average my "0 strokes lost driving" from the par-3 course?  Or am I going to think I'm better at driving than I am by the inclusion of the par-3 course rounds?

Update:  I just went to insight and looked at SG/L vs 10 handicap, last 5 rounds.  Driving, gained .09 strokes.  When I only chose the 4 most recent rounds (excluding today's par-3 round), I gained .12.  Yikes, okay, but if I pick a large enough sample space it might not make a big difference?

It would be nice to be able to mark rounds as "par-3" or "short course" or something and have the choice of "last X regulation rounds."

• Like 1

-- Michael | My swing! 

• Administrator
On 8/7/2017 at 2:58 PM, Shindig said:

I know I've posted plenty of par-3 courses in GG before, but now it worries me (slightly):  is it smart enough to not average my "0 strokes lost driving" from the par-3 course?  Or am I going to think I'm better at driving than I am by the inclusion of the par-3 course rounds?

Update:  I just went to insight and looked at SG/L vs 10 handicap, last 5 rounds.  Driving, gained .09 strokes.  When I only chose the 4 most recent rounds (excluding today's par-3 round), I gained .12.  Yikes, okay, but if I pick a large enough sample space it might not make a big difference?

It would be nice to be able to mark rounds as "par-3" or "short course" or something and have the choice of "last X regulation rounds."

The official word is that they discriminate per hole and not per course. Some executive courses have par fours. "Drives" only count on par fours.

Which course did you play, @Shindig?

17 hours ago, iacas said:

The official word is that they discriminate per hole and not per course. Some executive courses have par fours. "Drives" only count on par fours.

Which course did you play, @Shindig?

A few times this summer, I played a par-3s only (each nine has a hole of about 150 yards, the rest are 120 and under) course.  The course in particular I think I was referencing is in this round: http://www.gamegolf.com/player/Shindig/round/1766795

• Like 1

-- Michael | My swing! 

• Administrator
17 hours ago, Shindig said:

A few times this summer, I played a par-3s only (each nine has a hole of about 150 yards, the rest are 120 and under) course.  The course in particular I think I was referencing is in this round: http://www.gamegolf.com/player/Shindig/round/1766795

I passed the course and URL on to our guy.

• Administrator

@Shindig here's the answer… it's a bug. They're gonna fix it soon.

Paraphrasing…

For the strokes gained calculations, Par 3 holes are being counted as 0 strokes gained for the Off the Tee stat. They should be ignored entirely.

We discriminate per hole and not per course as we previously said. When you average Off the Tee for two rounds, one on an 18 course (e.g. OTT = 1.02) and the other on a Par 3 Course (e.g. OTT = 0 , 16 Holes played in your example),  the 0 is being factored into the average (e.g. ((1.02x18) + (0x16))/34 = 0.54) which is incorrect. The number should simply remain as 1.02. Please see screenshots attached.

Sorry for any inconvenience this may have caused you. This bug has been logged and we will get it fixed for you guys ASAP.

2017-08-17 (8).png2017-08-17 (7).png2017-08-17 (6).png

11 minutes ago, iacas said:

We discriminate per hole and not per course as we previously said. When you average Off the Tee for two rounds, one on an 18 course (e.g. OTT = 1.02) and the other on a Par 3 Course (e.g. OTT = 0 , 16 Holes played in your example),  the 0 is being factored into the average (e.g. ((1.02x18) + (0x16))/34 = 0.54) which is incorrect. The number should simply remain as 1.02. Please see screenshots attached.

Seems like they should factor in how many holes each round you are actually playing an "Off the Tee" shot, typically a par 4 or par 5.  

So if you played an executive course with something like 7 real tee shots with a longer club, and you lost 2 strokes over that round, they could convert that to a "typical" round with 14 real tee shots. Using the easy math, that would be 4 strokes lost equivalent.

Or maybe I'm just making it more complicated, and this is small potatoes. Just seemed odd they're using total holes per round in their calculation above, when they know there are par 3's involved without any impact on "Off the Tee."

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

Thanks for looking into that @iacas.  I appreciate it.

And sorry if I seem like I only come to this thread to complain, but is anyone else's insights page rendering poorly?  Just the base insights page where you can compare your last round to X handicap, or last round to last three rounds, etc.  

http://www.gamegolf.com/insights <-- that one.  New problem, seemed fine a few days ago.  

Happened on a friend's internet last night and now in a coffee shop, same problem.  Will try at home later today. 

-- Michael | My swing! 

3 hours ago, Shindig said:

Thanks for looking into that @iacas.  I appreciate it.

And sorry if I seem like I only come to this thread to complain, but is anyone else's insights page rendering poorly?  Just the base insights page where you can compare your last round to X handicap, or last round to last three rounds, etc.  

http://www.gamegolf.com/insights <-- that one.  New problem, seemed fine a few days ago.  

Happened on a friend's internet last night and now in a coffee shop, same problem.  Will try at home later today. 

Looks fine in Chrome browser (on both windows 7 and macOS sierra) and in Safari on macOS sierra. 

You can click on the "View Insights" button on that page to get to the older format.

Craig
What's in the :ogio: Silencer bag (on the :clicgear: cart)
Driver: :callaway: Razr Fit 10.5°  
5 Wood: :tmade: Burner  
Hybrid: :cobra: Baffler DWS 20°
Irons: :ping: G400 
Wedge: :ping: Glide 2.0 54° ES grind 
Putter: :heavyputter:  midweight CX2
:aimpoint:,  :bushnell: Tour V4

Note: This thread is 2432 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!