IGNORED

How nervous do you get when you play?

Note: This thread is 2013 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

How nervous do you get when you play?  

31 members have voted

1. 1. How nervous do you get when you play?

• Rarely get nervous on the golf course.
    • Little bit at the start of the round.
    • I'm nervous for most of the round.
    • So nervous my hands are shaking.

Only for the opening tee shot and maybe through the first two holes. Then I just get into playing golf. 

Same here. It was the same for every sport I've played. I'm nervous or more correctly anxious before the start. Once I got going, I didn't think about it anymore.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Most of the time I don't feel that nervous. I'd guess I'm most nervous when using the driver, which has been irregular recently. In competitions I probably get a bit nervous, but don't feel it that much. I'm very competitive and want to win, which can result in better focus, but also sometimes nerves and poor shots.

Very rarely for me. Only one time I can think of. Shot front 9 38, 4 over and 5 under handicap. Tried not to think about it and the good round I was having then some how came back in 55. I can remember over a few shots that I didn't feel right but it was the first time I had put my self in that position.

I know next time I get there I won't blow up like I did.

Really nervous.  

If I make a good shot then I am nervous to finish the hole strong.  And vice versa.  Unfortunately if I am playing badly I "try" harder but really I end up doing less and swinging harder with worse results.  

The first hole on the course I play is a tight 344 yard par 4 from the whites. Water on one side and trees on the other.  Wide enough before 150 but only about 15 yards after (of fairway another 5-10 of rough before the trees) Draw shape will roll you to the water because of a significant crown to the narrow part of the fairway.  Water wraps the green from the left. to the back  and there is a large bunker protecting the right side. There is significant slope back to front and the usual pin locations are either really short left 6 ft or so. Or Sucker pin top right near the bunker. There have been plenty of times (sometimes I go and walk just this hole and the adjacent hole #9 for practice) where I get on in 2 but have a really long down hill putt and end up 4 putting. This hole kills higher handicappers because you either go for it with driver and have lil room to land and take the chance that a good drive will still roll into water, or you take like a 3 iron-3 wood to land around the 150 but now you are trying to basically hit a perfect 6 or 7 iron.  The course gets watered even if its raining hand hardly ever dries out enough where you can play a safe knock down 5 that will let you land short and run up. I am nervous just thinking about. A lot of opportunities to screw up on that hole. 

So yeah I get really nervous because i don't trust any part of my game enough to do well enough on that hole. The only time I seem to be more nervous (hands shaking) are birdie putts.

I had a lesson last night and my coach got onto me about setup. Not a whole preshot routine but setup in general. Saying that most of my inconsistency and lack of confidence is result of a rush set up and not having consistent foot placement, club & body alignment, etc. therefore not having consistent shots.  So I guess i will work on that and hopefully a playable consistent shot / shape will result and my nervousness will subside.

I typically only get nervous if I've been struggling a bit and someone lets me play through. I think I'd probably get nervous if I was playing in a competition but for casual rounds where nothing really matters outside of personal pride, no reason to be nervous.

I'm often nervous for the opening tee shot because I don't play often. I'm worried the round won't go well but I'll have to wait several weeks to get another opportunity for a good round. Once I've hit a few shots, I'm generally fine, regardless of how well that first shot went.

I am not good enough to get nervous for most of my shots.  I can have some nervousness on first tee if people are behind me watching, and on a few holes where I have bombed a couple roof tops on the right hand side when teeing off.  I have always wondered what that must be like, living in a house, just woke up, about to to have your first sip of hot cofee and *BAM!!!* golf ball thwacks the roof right above you. 

Really nervous.  

If I make a good shot then I am nervous to finish the hole strong.  And vice versa.  Unfortunately if I am playing badly I "try" harder but really I end up doing less and swinging harder with worse results.  

The first hole on the course I play is a tight 344 yard par 4 from the whites. Water on one side and trees on the other.  Wide enough before 150 but only about 15 yards after (of fairway another 5-10 of rough before the trees) Draw shape will roll you to the water because of a significant crown to the narrow part of the fairway.  Water wraps the green from the left. to the back  and there is a large bunker protecting the right side. There is significant slope back to front and the usual pin locations are either really short left 6 ft or so. Or Sucker pin top right near the bunker. There have been plenty of times (sometimes I go and walk just this hole and the adjacent hole #9 for practice) where I get on in 2 but have a really long down hill putt and end up 4 putting. This hole kills higher handicappers because you either go for it with driver and have lil room to land and take the chance that a good drive will still roll into water, or you take like a 3 iron-3 wood to land around the 150 but now you are trying to basically hit a perfect 6 or 7 iron.  The course gets watered even if its raining hand hardly ever dries out enough where you can play a safe knock down 5 that will let you land short and run up. I am nervous just thinking about. A lot of opportunities to screw up on that hole. 

So yeah I get really nervous because i don't trust any part of my game enough to do well enough on that hole. The only time I seem to be more nervous (hands shaking) are birdie putts.

I had a lesson last night and my coach got onto me about setup. Not a whole preshot routine but setup in general. Saying that most of my inconsistency and lack of confidence is result of a rush set up and not having consistent foot placement, club & body alignment, etc. therefore not having consistent shots.  So I guess i will work on that and hopefully a playable consistent shot / shape will result and my nervousness will subside.

it is a great gush of adrenaline that causes the heart to race and hands to tremble says Rotella in his book golf is not A game of perfect. Normal part of the human condition. Part of the game that has to be dealt with like the direction the wind is blowing. Many cruialshots have been made with trembling hands. He says your body will stay excited but your mind must not. He advices to 1. Stay in the present and keep your mind sharply focused on the shot immediately in front of you. 2. Avoid mechanical thoughts...instead strive to become looser, freer, and more confident. 3. Stick to your routine and to your game plan.  Swings don't hold  up under pressure. People do.

I tend to get a lot of adrenalin when other people I don't know are watching. Having a few beers a round is enough to suppress it a little bit.

Personally get nervous every round when doing the first of anything except for my first chip.

-First iron tee-off

-First driver tee-off

-First wedge shot

-First putt (especially if I didnt get on the putting green, and have a tough first putt)

According to Dr. Bob Rotella all golfers are nervous when playing at one time or another." I don't know how you play well unless you're nervous." says Nicklaus. Ever get it so bad that your hands tremble and your heart races? 

Nope.  Played in tournaments for 22 years and I felt the excitement of competition, sometimes a bit nervous over a critical putt, but most of the time I was just playing golf and loving every minute.  If you really love the game then then those times are just the exclamation points in a round.  

I don't ever get "nervous".  I used to get nervous before a big exam sometimes.  I was nervous at my wedding and kids weddings.  I get nervous when I have to give a speech.  Golf?  Never.  I'm out there enjoying the air and camaraderie.

I do focus a bit more when I'm in a scramble and the first 3 guys just dumped their tee shots in the water. :-)  But, usually I'm cursing them at the time.

If you're getting such a bad adrenalin dump that your hands are shaking you should talk to your dr about beta blockers for performance anxiety. They actually work very well to keep you a bit more steady.

• 2 weeks later...

IF I am nervous at all, it's only when I tee off on the first hole. I'm nervous of what the results of my first tee off of the day will be because I want to get off to a good start. After that initial tee off any nervousness that may have existed has left me.

Note: This thread is 2013 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!