IGNORED

How nervous do you get when you play?

Sante TwoGloves
Note: This thread is 3067 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

How nervous do you get when you play?  

31 members have voted

1. 1. How nervous do you get when you play?

• Rarely get nervous on the golf course.
    • Little bit at the start of the round.
    • I'm nervous for most of the round.
    • So nervous my hands are shaking.

Poll added.

I get a little nervous on the first hole but I think it typically helps me focus. I tend to hit bad shots when my mind wanders.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Only for the opening tee shot and maybe through the first two holes. Then I just get into playing golf. 

Same here. It was the same for every sport I've played. I'm nervous or more correctly anxious before the start. Once I got going, I didn't think about it anymore.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Most of the time I don't feel that nervous. I'd guess I'm most nervous when using the driver, which has been irregular recently. In competitions I probably get a bit nervous, but don't feel it that much. I'm very competitive and want to win, which can result in better focus, but also sometimes nerves and poor shots.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Very rarely for me. Only one time I can think of. Shot front 9 38, 4 over and 5 under handicap. Tried not to think about it and the good round I was having then some how came back in 55. I can remember over a few shots that I didn't feel right but it was the first time I had put my self in that position.

I know next time I get there I won't blow up like I did.

WITB

Callaway Big Berth Alpha Driver 9* Stiff shaft

Adams 18 DHY

Titliest AP2 3-PW Project X 5.5

Nike VR 56*

Never Compromise Sub30 Type 40

My Swing

I don't.

I rarely play for anything that matters though, and I do not keep a handicap.

-Matt-

"does it still count as a hit fairway if it is the next one over"

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

Really nervous.  

If I make a good shot then I am nervous to finish the hole strong.  And vice versa.  Unfortunately if I am playing badly I "try" harder but really I end up doing less and swinging harder with worse results.  

The first hole on the course I play is a tight 344 yard par 4 from the whites. Water on one side and trees on the other.  Wide enough before 150 but only about 15 yards after (of fairway another 5-10 of rough before the trees) Draw shape will roll you to the water because of a significant crown to the narrow part of the fairway.  Water wraps the green from the left. to the back  and there is a large bunker protecting the right side. There is significant slope back to front and the usual pin locations are either really short left 6 ft or so. Or Sucker pin top right near the bunker. There have been plenty of times (sometimes I go and walk just this hole and the adjacent hole #9 for practice) where I get on in 2 but have a really long down hill putt and end up 4 putting. This hole kills higher handicappers because you either go for it with driver and have lil room to land and take the chance that a good drive will still roll into water, or you take like a 3 iron-3 wood to land around the 150 but now you are trying to basically hit a perfect 6 or 7 iron.  The course gets watered even if its raining hand hardly ever dries out enough where you can play a safe knock down 5 that will let you land short and run up. I am nervous just thinking about. A lot of opportunities to screw up on that hole. 

So yeah I get really nervous because i don't trust any part of my game enough to do well enough on that hole. The only time I seem to be more nervous (hands shaking) are birdie putts.

I had a lesson last night and my coach got onto me about setup. Not a whole preshot routine but setup in general. Saying that most of my inconsistency and lack of confidence is result of a rush set up and not having consistent foot placement, club & body alignment, etc. therefore not having consistent shots.  So I guess i will work on that and hopefully a playable consistent shot / shape will result and my nervousness will subside.

I typically only get nervous if I've been struggling a bit and someone lets me play through. I think I'd probably get nervous if I was playing in a competition but for casual rounds where nothing really matters outside of personal pride, no reason to be nervous.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

I'm often nervous for the opening tee shot because I don't play often. I'm worried the round won't go well but I'll have to wait several weeks to get another opportunity for a good round. Once I've hit a few shots, I'm generally fine, regardless of how well that first shot went.

I am not good enough to get nervous for most of my shots.  I can have some nervousness on first tee if people are behind me watching, and on a few holes where I have bombed a couple roof tops on the right hand side when teeing off.  I have always wondered what that must be like, living in a house, just woke up, about to to have your first sip of hot cofee and *BAM!!!* golf ball thwacks the roof right above you. 

I'm typically only nervous at the first tee in front of a crowd, especially if I wasn't able to warm up at the range before the round. 

Joe Paradiso

Really nervous.  

If I make a good shot then I am nervous to finish the hole strong.  And vice versa.  Unfortunately if I am playing badly I "try" harder but really I end up doing less and swinging harder with worse results.  

The first hole on the course I play is a tight 344 yard par 4 from the whites. Water on one side and trees on the other.  Wide enough before 150 but only about 15 yards after (of fairway another 5-10 of rough before the trees) Draw shape will roll you to the water because of a significant crown to the narrow part of the fairway.  Water wraps the green from the left. to the back  and there is a large bunker protecting the right side. There is significant slope back to front and the usual pin locations are either really short left 6 ft or so. Or Sucker pin top right near the bunker. There have been plenty of times (sometimes I go and walk just this hole and the adjacent hole #9 for practice) where I get on in 2 but have a really long down hill putt and end up 4 putting. This hole kills higher handicappers because you either go for it with driver and have lil room to land and take the chance that a good drive will still roll into water, or you take like a 3 iron-3 wood to land around the 150 but now you are trying to basically hit a perfect 6 or 7 iron.  The course gets watered even if its raining hand hardly ever dries out enough where you can play a safe knock down 5 that will let you land short and run up. I am nervous just thinking about. A lot of opportunities to screw up on that hole. 

So yeah I get really nervous because i don't trust any part of my game enough to do well enough on that hole. The only time I seem to be more nervous (hands shaking) are birdie putts.

I had a lesson last night and my coach got onto me about setup. Not a whole preshot routine but setup in general. Saying that most of my inconsistency and lack of confidence is result of a rush set up and not having consistent foot placement, club & body alignment, etc. therefore not having consistent shots.  So I guess i will work on that and hopefully a playable consistent shot / shape will result and my nervousness will subside.

it is a great gush of adrenaline that causes the heart to race and hands to tremble says Rotella in his book golf is not A game of perfect. Normal part of the human condition. Part of the game that has to be dealt with like the direction the wind is blowing. Many cruialshots have been made with trembling hands. He says your body will stay excited but your mind must not. He advices to 1. Stay in the present and keep your mind sharply focused on the shot immediately in front of you. 2. Avoid mechanical thoughts...instead strive to become looser, freer, and more confident. 3. Stick to your routine and to your game plan.  Swings don't hold  up under pressure. People do.

1. LPGA Square Two Melody driver 
  2. Callaway Steelhead Plus 5 W
  3. Adamsgolf Idea 4i hybrid 
  4. Answer 6 iron 
  5. Answer 8 iron 
  6. LH Golfsmith Tour Model IV PW
  7. AdamsGolf GTxtreme LW
  8. LH Ping Zing Magnesium Bronze

I tend to get a lot of adrenalin when other people I don't know are watching. Having a few beers a round is enough to suppress it a little bit.

Driver: Nike VRS Covert 2.0
3W:  Nike VRS Covert
3H:  Nike VRS Covert 2.0
4H:  Nike VRS Covert 2.0
5-AW:  Nike  VRS-X
SW:  Nike VRS Covert
LW:  Nike VRS X3X 60*
Putter:  Nike Method MC-3i

Personally get nervous every round when doing the first of anything except for my first chip.

-First iron tee-off

-First driver tee-off

-First wedge shot

-First putt (especially if I didnt get on the putting green, and have a tough first putt)

According to Dr. Bob Rotella all golfers are nervous when playing at one time or another." I don't know how you play well unless you're nervous." says Nicklaus. Ever get it so bad that your hands tremble and your heart races? 

Nope.  Played in tournaments for 22 years and I felt the excitement of competition, sometimes a bit nervous over a critical putt, but most of the time I was just playing golf and loving every minute.  If you really love the game then then those times are just the exclamation points in a round.  

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

I don't ever get "nervous".  I used to get nervous before a big exam sometimes.  I was nervous at my wedding and kids weddings.  I get nervous when I have to give a speech.  Golf?  Never.  I'm out there enjoying the air and camaraderie.

I do focus a bit more when I'm in a scramble and the first 3 guys just dumped their tee shots in the water. :-)  But, usually I'm cursing them at the time.

Driver.......Ping K15 9.5* stiff 3 wood.....Ping K15 16* stiff 5 wood.....Ping K15 19* stiff 4 Hybrid...Cleveland Gliderail 23* stiff 5 - PW......Pinhawk SL GW...........Tommy Armour 52* SW...........Tommy Armour 56* LW...........Tommy Armour 60* FW...........Diamond Tour 68* Putter.......Golfsmith Dyna Mite Ball..........Volvik Vista iV Green Bag..........Bennington Quiet Organizer Shoes.... ..Crocs

If you're getting such a bad adrenalin dump that your hands are shaking you should talk to your dr about beta blockers for performance anxiety. They actually work very well to keep you a bit more steady.

Driver: Nike VRS Covert 2.0
3W:  Nike VRS Covert
3H:  Nike VRS Covert 2.0
4H:  Nike VRS Covert 2.0
5-AW:  Nike  VRS-X
SW:  Nike VRS Covert
LW:  Nike VRS X3X 60*
Putter:  Nike Method MC-3i

• 2 weeks later...

IF I am nervous at all, it's only when I tee off on the first hole. I'm nervous of what the results of my first tee off of the day will be because I want to get off to a good start. After that initial tee off any nervousness that may have existed has left me.

Note: This thread is 3067 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!