IGNORED

Single Digit Handicap First Year

jshanks26
Note: This thread is 2349 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

17 hours ago, jshanks26 said:

Hey, so i just started playing golf last summer (2014) at the age of 17. I started with just my grandpa's used knock off ping irons. By the end of the summer my goal was to break 90 and i did (89). Due to the Canadian weather i stopped playing at the end of September and just started again this past June. Since then until now i have got my handicap down to a 7.7. I just turned 18. Is it really good that in 9 months i have gotten down to a 7.7? This summer i played about 3 times a week and through September and October about once a week.

Thanks,

Jordan

No. It isn't really good for 9 months. If you enjoy the game that's all that matters. Don't let your mediocre progress discourage you, it happens to most new golfers.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

He d

1 hour ago, NewYorkGolfer26 said:

I'm  28 and have only been playing for 3 years on Long Island New York where weather isn't favorable and wind is usually gusting I have managed to get down to a 6 handicap with limited practice , why can't a young kid who most likely  has no bills or other responsibilities but golf to do so?  Just because  you can't do it doesn't mean someone else can't. If you believe he or anyone else is lying put your money where your mouth is and challenge them in a round for $$ instead of insulting the guy basically calling him a liar.

You don't start golf in 2014, have 9 months off in the middle and then play off 7 in 2015.

I am not basically calling him a liar. I am essentially saying he is "misguided" Let us see a link to his handicap. 

Regarding newspaper articles/reports, there would be results where he streeted the field. That's how he lowers his handicap. But, of course he's never played a competitive round......

No single digit player needs to ask how he's doing. Especially one who started last year with 9 months off in the middle. It's a  joke, and typically, everyone assumes it's real. Likely, it'll be his first and last post and i plead guilty to feeding the troll.

Edited by Shorty

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

10 minutes ago, Shorty said:

He d

You don't start golf in 2014, have 9 months off in the middle and then play off 7 in 2015.

I am not basically calling him a liar. I am essentially saying he is "misguided" Let us see a link to his handicap. 

Regarding newspaper articles/reports, there would be results where he streeted the field. That's how he lowers his handicap. But, of course he's never played a competitive round......

No single digit player needs to ask how he's doing. Especially one who started last year with 9 months off in the middle. It's a  joke, and typically, everyone assumes it's real. Likely, it'll be his first and last post and i plead guilty to feeding the troll.

Okay, you win. :-D

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

28 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

No. It isn't really good for 9 months. If you enjoy the game that's all that matters. Don't let your mediocre progress discourage you, it happens to most new golfers.

Two thumbs up on this reply!  :-D

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

41 minutes ago, Lihu said:

Okay, you win. :-D

LOL :-)

I'm not about winning - but if you need to ask strangers how you're doing..........I mean why would you?

I'll tell you how these guys get these "handicaps":

They call an 8 a 5 because it "should" have been a 5.

There friends encourage them to write down fake scores because that gives them permission to do so.

They have only ever played with their friends, none of whom know the rules. They play off tees and courses with several 290 yard par 4s and 450 yard par 5s.

The courses have no rough and the wilder the tee shot the easier it is to play from the adjoining fairway.

They manipulate their scorecards so that rather than having a handicap being the best 8 of 20 rounds, it's the best single round where they've made up scores. None of the rounds are in competition.

They won't tell us what the worst 12 of 20 were because they haven't submitted 20 scorecards, but if that putt hadn't lipped out and that ball hadn't gone OB (where they just dropped one next to the fence anyway) and counted all of those missed 3 footers, SHAZAM that would have been 79!! 79 - 8 is 71. That makes them an 8!!!  The narrative would be very similar. I guarantee. 

The first time they play with a real golfer who gives them a blank stare when they say they just had a 5 when it was 7 - unless they are doing the bizarre marking their own cards in company thing - the "I usually shoot in the high 70s" becomes a score of 106 and they have a story to tell about this old jerk they played with.

Or, they play with an old fool who gives them 6 footers all day long and tells them that rules are for uptight geeks. Again - permission for them to cheat too, so it's win/win!

Better stop before my imagination runs too wild - but I've seen it all, believe me.

If the OP was genuine, he'd have played with at least one golfer who knows the rules and was impressed with his progress. Why wouldn't he know? Better to ask strangers.

But, I digress........he has a long way to go. At least he hasn't asked if he is going to be able to play on tour.

Edited by Shorty

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

1 hour ago, Shorty said:

LOL :-)

I'm not about winning - but if you need to ask strangers how you're doing..........I mean why would you?

I'll tell you how these guys get these "handicaps":

They call an 8 a 5 because it "should" have been a 5.

There friends encourage them to write down fake scores because that gives them permission to do so.

They have only ever played with their friends, none of whom know the rules. They play off tees and courses with several 290 yard par 4s and 450 yard par 5s.

The courses have no rough and the wilder the tee shot the easier it is to play from the adjoining fairway.

They manipulate their scorecards so that rather than having a handicap being the best 8 of 20 rounds, it's the best single round where they've made up scores. None of the rounds are in competition.

They won't tell us what the worst 12 of 20 were because they haven't submitted 20 scorecards, but if that putt hadn't lipped out and that ball hadn't gone OB (where they just dropped one next to the fence anyway) and counted all of those missed 3 footers, SHAZAM that would have been 79!! 79 - 8 is 71. That makes them an 8!!!  The narrative would be very similar. I guarantee. 

The first time they play with a real golfer who gives them a blank stare when they say they just had a 5 when it was 7 - unless they are doing the bizarre marking their own cards in company thing - the "I usually shoot in the high 70s" becomes a score of 106 and they have a story to tell about this old jerk they played with.

Or, they play with an old fool who gives them 6 footers all day long and tells them that rules are for uptight geeks. Again - permission for them to cheat too, so it's win/win!

Better stop before my imagination runs too wild - but I've seen it all, believe me.

If the OP was genuine, he'd have played with at least one golfer who knows the rules and was impressed with his progress. Why wouldn't he know? Better to ask strangers.

But, I digress........he has a long way to go. At least he hasn't asked if he is going to be able to play on tour.

Not too far off the wild side of your imagination, I've seen some of the things you listed just not all. I've also heard the "Hit it again" referring to a duff off the tee, and free mulligans when you land in a divot. . .

The reason why I gave him the benefit of the doubt is that I just don't see how anyone can fake being a 7.7? That's a pretty specific handicap. He'd lose a lot of money playing 10 handicaps. . .

1 hour ago, Shorty said:

At least he hasn't asked if he is going to be able to play on tour.

At least, not. . .yet. . .

1 hour ago, Shorty said:

Actually the difference between a real golfer and a hack is that the real golfer simply plays by the rules.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Beginner to 7.7 in 9 months?

Although I could be wrong, I'm not buying it.

1 hour ago, Lihu said:

Actually the difference between a real golfer and a hack is that the real golfer simply plays by the rules.

I like this. And it's amazing how few people really play by the rules. Even those that think they do, probably do not.

16 hours ago, Shorty said:

1 in 100?

How about 1 in  100,000. Or one in  a million. (but I'm guessing you are joking.)

I doubt very much that a person who didn't play between September 2014 and June 2015 but started in 2014 is playing to 7.7.

The OP needs to carefully study how to maintain a handicap.

More tellingly, why is he asking people he's never met if he's making good progress? He will have played with people who've been playing for 40 years who are decent players but who never got that low. He'd have some idea.

If it were true he'd be able to point us in the direction of some newspaper articlkes about his incredible progress. But....I'm not holding my breath....as usual :-)

In other words, He is not a 7.7. Sorry.

Its not like i played like i went to the indoor golf range like a handful of times over the winter. But me and my buddies got a membership this year and i practised a lot and started out as about a 16. It wasn't until i broke 80 (middle of July), that my cap started to get lower. I would always choke and get nervous not being able to break it. After that it was almost every round. And actually i don't play with anyone who has been playing for 40 years till last week. I play with my buddy who is a 9 and we just thought it was natural to be like this. These old guys couldn't believe that it was my second summer so thats why i made this forum to see if it was actually that rare. And buddy, according to my last 5 rounds i am a 7.7, this is the lowest its ever been. I calculate it on the USGA handicap calulator

:callaway: Big Bertha Alpha 815 DBD  :bridgestone: TD-03 Putter   
:tmade: 300 Tour 3W                 :true_linkswear: Motion Shoes
:titleist: 585H Hybrid                       
:tmade: TP MC irons                 
:ping: Glide 54             
:ping: Glide 58
:cleveland: 588 RTX 62

17 hours ago, Shorty said:

1 in 100?

How about 1 in  100,000. Or one in  a million. (but I'm guessing you are joking.)

I doubt very much that a person who didn't play between September 2014 and June 2015 but started in 2014 is playing to 7.7.

The OP needs to carefully study how to maintain a handicap.

More tellingly, why is he asking people he's never met if he's making good progress? He will have played with people who've been playing for 40 years who are decent players but who never got that low. He'd have some idea.

If it were true he'd be able to point us in the direction of some newspaper articlkes about his incredible progress. But....I'm not holding my breath....as usual :-)

In other words, He is not a 7.7. Sorry.

Its not like i played like i went to the indoor golf range like a handful of times over the winter. But me and my buddies got a membership this year and i practised a lot and started out as about a 16. It wasn't until i broke 80 (middle of July), that my cap started to get lower. I would always choke and get nervous not being able to break it. After that it was almost every round. And actually i don't play with anyone who has been playing for 40 years till last week. I play with my buddy who is a 9 and we just thought it was natural to be like this. These old guys couldn't believe that it was my second summer so thats why i made this forum to see if it was actually that rare. And buddy, according to my last 5 rounds i am a 7.7, this is the lowest its ever been. I calculate it on the USGA handicap calulator

Alright guys, I never calculated my handicap actually until recently, 1. my Name is Jordan Shanks, i know shitty name for golf, 2. I hit the range once or twice a week and obsessed over the sport since the time i started. 3, i am a very good athlete, i pick up things very fast, 4. I am always watching golf videos learning things and how to course manage better. 5. i had a shit swing when i started, missing right slices with my driver every time, once i got that club fixed it put me in  good spots, 6. i play the same 3 courses throughout the summer but i sometimes play the rare course that i am not a member at. 7. im not lying this isnt a hoax, i just wanted to find out peoples opinion because 3 old guys all about 10's said it was incredible that i was this ability after just 2 summers, like i never thought it was that good. 8. I learn a lot. I know my mistakes and dont make them again, like when i make a bad swing i know exactly what i did wrong, ex. lifting head, not staying through the ball long enough type things. 9. i watch a shit tonne of mark crossfield videos and practise putting in my dorm room throughout the day.

So to those who think this is fake, sorry for wasting your time replying to this post but im being truthful, just looking for some opinions of more experianced golfers. 

P.s first 18 holes i played, 106, then 96, then 95, then 89, and so on. It was a gradual decrease. Last 18 holes score 75. and i do know the rules, no mulligans and i play the ball down and putt out every putt

20 hours ago, Lihu said:

Yes, that is pretty good. Keep it up.

4 hours ago, Lihu said:

This is where the doubters do have a point. 3 to 4 months of playing and practice from first picking up a club is hard to fathom for anyone. If he had been let's say a 27 for 3 months then suddenly started to improve while learning all the rules and has a very high talent level, that makes perfect sense. Greg Norman did this, but is an extreme exception.

As far as reporters are concerned, that would come when he hits scratch in a year and starts winning some of his club and city competitions. . .

5 hours ago, DaveP043 said:

If its true, then its good.  If its a hoax, its sad to get enjoyment from it.  Of course, if it IS a hoax, then the gentlemen who continue to post their outrage are giving the OP exactly what he wants. 

Thanks buddy it isn't a hoax pal, im in university, no trying to troll, i have to much work to do

I can well buy into this he's young and fit and obviously natural. He mentions the same 3 courses so if he has paid attention to course management then this is entirely possible.

We'll done Jordan and for having the cajones to post it. You inspire me that anything is possible and that with the right knowledge and mental attitude learning is natural and golf is challenging but not impossible to play well.

All the guys on here who are single digit should be more than aware that swing mechanics don't have to be perfect to shoot in the 70's

• Upvote 1

"Repetition is the chariot of genius"

Driver: BENROSS VX PROTO 10.5
Woods: BENROSS QUAD SPEED FAIRWAY 15"
Hybrids:BENROSS 3G 17" BENROSSV5 Escape 20"
Irons: :wilson: DEEP RED Fluid Feel  4-SW
Putter: BENROSS PURE RED
Balls: :wilsonstaff:  Ti DNA

48 minutes ago, jshanks26 said:

Thanks buddy it isn't a hoax pal, im in university, no trying to troll, i have to much work to do

It certainly is possible, I've seen how much work my kids put into it and even they are relatively good players. More talent and hard work can see much better results.

Nice going, and hope you continue to show more progress!

• Upvote 1

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

21 hours ago, Lihu said:

Yes, that is pretty good. Keep it up.

5 hours ago, Lihu said:

This is where the doubters do have a point. 3 to 4 months of playing and practice from first picking up a club is hard to fathom for anyone. If he had been let's say a 27 for 3 months then suddenly started to improve while learning all the rules and has a very high talent level, that makes perfect sense. Greg Norman did this, but is an extreme exception.

As far as reporters are concerned, that would come when he hits scratch in a year and starts winning some of his club and city competitions. . .

6 hours ago, DaveP043 said:

If its true, then its good.  If its a hoax, its sad to get enjoyment from it.  Of course, if it IS a hoax, then the gentlemen who continue to post their outrage are giving the OP exactly what he wants. 

Thanks buddy it isn't a hoax pal, i

11 minutes ago, Lihu said:

It certainly is possible, I've seen how much work my kids put into it and even they are relatively good players. More talent and hard work can see much better results.

Nice going, and hope you continue to show more progress!

Yeah like i put a shit tonne of work into it and for me its all about course management, but thanks! I hope so to:)

• Upvote 1

I wouldn't say it's impossible. I started in April 2012 and despite having previous golf experience it was decades in the past and I was so bad I couldn't even finish a hole the first time I got out on a course. Started keeping a handicap mid summer and managed to get down to 12 by the end of the season. Now 12 isn't 7 but that was just around the corner it was just a month or so into the next handicap season before I hit single digits. Around 8-9 months of actual golf due to winter.

While I felt even getting to 12 was a good start I didn't feel my previous experience lent much to the progress. I really only played regular golf as a kid. Once I got a car hotrods and hanging with my friends replaced golf. But I didn't feel like I played to an elite level quickly or anything either. I've been stuck where I am at since.

Dave :-)

I'm pretty disappointed in the negative unwelcoming approach by so many members.  Yes, it is possible.  I personally, 100% understand why someone who just started is asking strangers about their progress.  Why so many people doubt it can be done and call the OP a "troll" or "liar" is assuming, stupid, and ignorant.  You can't stereotype someone because what they are claiming is rare.

@jshanks26 Keep it up man.  Don't worry about people doubting you.

@Shorty WHY ASK STRANGERS? - because people you play with in person (that don't know you) get astounded that you have only been playing for 1 year and you are playing that well.  You can see the doubt when you tell them as soon as they ask how long you have been playing.  They don't believe you.  You are told by your friends and people that know you just how good it is that you progressed so fast.  By coming to a golf forum, you kind of expect people to be honest and ironically, not as judgemental (which is not the case).  In a way, your almost seeking validation that it's okay to progress that fast because you are being told that it's not.  So where do you go to talk to others that have done the same?  Where can you find some acceptance?  - Maybe a golf forum? -

- YES IT CAN BE DONE.  I'm offended because I was there.  I played almost everyday from the moment I picked up clubs and within a year of starting, I was playing high school golf (Ironically another HS teams coach saw me hitting range balls and told my HS golf coach- who happened to also be our baseball coach).  In my teams first match (My very first high school match), I shot an 8 over 78 (Ironically @Shorty  it was put in the paper even though I didn't win or medal in the tournament- I still have the article packed away too).  I knew 78 was good, I didn't understand how good because I was able to get there quickly.  My coach kept saying "Son do you know what you just did?" - of course I shot 78 - "Son do you realize that many people never shoot in the 70's"...  Yes- but I didn't realize how rare it was event though I was constantly being told.  WHY??? because I was doing it! 

What makes it even worse is the people that are doubting you act like you just picked up clubs and shot in the 70's without putting in work.  I can only speak from my personal experience in that I played more times in my 1st year that most golfers do in 5-10 years.  I was at the course practicing and having fun almost every day playing 36 holes and playing on the range trying different types of shots.  I worked hard on my game but it was fun.  SO YES- It PISSES ME OFF to hear people doubt a kid because the odds aren't in his favor - but don't call him a liar or say he doesn't know how to keep a handicap because you have no right to make that claim.

As a preemptive remark - I'm 100% aware I'm still only a 7 handicap right now so don't give me the "if you were shooting in your 70's in your first year why are you only a 7 now..."  - I don't play every day anymore.

Kudos! @jshanks26  and welcome to TST.  We actually have a lot of very knowledgeable members and a good group of core posters.  I apologize that you come in with people questioning you from jump street, but do understand that yes, your level of progress is very rare.

Keep up the good work and try to continue improving.  Don't take it too serious.  Don't get caught up in others expectations of you because of your quick start.  Have fun with it.

Edited by JP golf
  • Upvote 2

JP

In the bag:  R1 Diver, Rocketballz 3 tour spoon (13*), Adams A12 pro 18* hybrid, 4-P Callaway Razr x black (dg s400 shafts), 50* & 58* Ping Tour S, and TM Ghost Manta Putter cut down to 32". and my Tour V2 Rangefinder (with extra batteries of course)!  Ball - Srixon Z Star XV

On Thursday, November 12, 2015 5:23:10, jshanks26 said:

What do you mean according to your last 5 rounds you are a 7.7?  Official handicaps aren't based on 5 rounds

Whatever your actual handicap is, it sounds like you've made great progress in a short period of time.  Stick with it and keep us posted on your progress.

Joe Paradiso

On 11/12/2015, 5:38:09, jshanks26 said:

i just wanted to find out peoples opinion because 3 old guys all about 10's said it was incredible that i was this ability after just 2 summers, like i never thought it was that good. 8. I learn a lot. I know my mistakes and dont make them again, like when i make a bad swing i know exactly what i did wrong, ex. lifting head, not staying through the ball long enough type things.

Sorry about the rant lol-  I know where you are coming from though man.  I had a membership to a par 3 course over the summer during my first year playing (par 30, 9 hole course).  We would play everyday during the summer and make our own games (playing the same 9 hole course multiple times everyday gets old).  We would play where you had to be in a bunker before you holed out (if the hole had a bunker) - We would play worst ball (until we got on the green) where you take the worst of the groups shots and everyone plays from there.  (We would usually play 2 vs. 2).  etc. 

I was never shy about playing with strangers but they were always surprised that I had only been playing a year...  I too, wondered how rare it was because at the time, I didn't think it was that rare nor did I think I was as good as people were telling me.

And honestly as a 7 handicap, we still hit so many bad shots!  :beer:

JP

In the bag:  R1 Diver, Rocketballz 3 tour spoon (13*), Adams A12 pro 18* hybrid, 4-P Callaway Razr x black (dg s400 shafts), 50* & 58* Ping Tour S, and TM Ghost Manta Putter cut down to 32". and my Tour V2 Rangefinder (with extra batteries of course)!  Ball - Srixon Z Star XV

Note: This thread is 2349 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!