IGNORED

Single Digit Handicap First Year

jshanks26
Note: This thread is 2350 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hey, so i just started playing golf last summer (2014) at the age of 17. I started with just my grandpa's used knock off ping irons. By the end of the summer my goal was to break 90 and i did (89). Due to the Canadian weather i stopped playing at the end of September and just started again this past June. Since then until now i have got my handicap down to a 7.7. I just turned 18. Is it really good that in 9 months i have gotten down to a 7.7? This summer i played about 3 times a week and through September and October about once a week.

Thanks,

Jordan

Yes, that's good.   I'm guessing 1 out of 100 golfers improve that rapidly - futures so bright you'll have to wear shades

• Upvote 1

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 hour ago, jshanks26 said:

Hey, so i just started playing golf last summer (2014) at the age of 17. I started with just my grandpa's used knock off ping irons. By the end of the summer my goal was to break 90 and i did (89). Due to the Canadian weather i stopped playing at the end of September and just started again this past June. Since then until now i have got my handicap down to a 7.7. I just turned 18. Is it really good that in 9 months i have gotten down to a 7.7? This summer i played about 3 times a week and through September and October about once a week.

Thanks,

Jordan

Yes, that is pretty good. Keep it up.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

4 hours ago, inthehole said:

Yes, that's good.   I'm guessing 1 out of 100 golfers improve that rapidly - futures so bright you'll have to wear shades

1 in 100?

How about 1 in  100,000. Or one in  a million. (but I'm guessing you are joking.)

I doubt very much that a person who didn't play between September 2014 and June 2015 but started in 2014 is playing to 7.7.

The OP needs to carefully study how to maintain a handicap.

More tellingly, why is he asking people he's never met if he's making good progress? He will have played with people who've been playing for 40 years who are decent players but who never got that low. He'd have some idea.

If it were true he'd be able to point us in the direction of some newspaper articlkes about his incredible progress. But....I'm not holding my breath....as usual :-)

In other words, He is not a 7.7. Sorry.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

That level of improvement is prodigy level or fake.  Take your pick

What's in the bag

• Taylor Made r5 dual Draw 9.5* (stiff)
  • Cobra Baffler 4H (stiff)
  • Taylor Made RAC OS 6-9,P,S (regular)
  • Golden Bear LD5.0 60* (regular)
  • Aidia Z-009 Putter
  • Inesis Soft 500 golf ball

7 hours ago, Shorty said:

1 in 100?

How about 1 in  100,000. Or one in  a million. (but I'm guessing you are joking.)

I doubt very much that a person who didn't play between September 2014 and June 2015 but started in 2014 is playing to 7.7.

I would agree to "not common" or "not likely" but I've seen good high school athletes start out playing in the 80's.  Given the proper coaching and practice I would think that level could be reached by a good high school athlete in that amount of time.

More tellingly, why is he asking people he's never met if he's making good progress? He will have played with people who've been playing for 40 years who are decent players but who never got that low. He'd have some idea.

I don't know of many high school kids who would go out and play with those of us older folks who have been playing for 40 years.  He's probably playing with his buddies, or relatives.  He most likely came to a golf forum to get a good estimate of his playing level.  I suspect that's why most come to a site like this.

If it were true he'd be able to point us in the direction of some newspaper articlkes about his incredible progress. But....I'm not holding my breath....as usual :-)

How many articles have been written about folks with a 7.7 handicap?  I've never seen one.

Even if the lad has double his stated 7.7, he's doing well and has good potential.  I, for one, hope he gets the encouragement and training he needs to become a good golfer.  In a few years he may become a positive contributor to this forum.

Later,

John

7 hours ago, Shorty said:

• Upvote 1

Macgregor Tourney Driver, 5w, 3-4H, 5-PW, 52-58W

Heriko 14 degree Driver (Tee and Turf)

Odyssey Big-T Putter

8 hours ago, Shorty said:

1 in 100?

I kind agree with @JBailey that you might be a little bit harsh on the OP, but I was thinking the same thing as you. 7.7 in a few months is pretty prodigal. Actually, any single digit in a few months is amazing.

It's not impossible that many high school kids (only because there are so many of them around), can get down into the single digits pretty quickly in one season. My son is 16 and was playing for 6 years playing to a 15 for the longest time, then in one golf season dropped into the single digits during competitive rounds. His teammates encouraged him improve, and he encourages his teammates in turn. They also compete (in a fun way) every day over every little thing like who can hit the ball the highest, farthest or most accurately. After 2 full seasons and some friendly matches with his teammates over the summer he's about a 6-7, and plays only twice a week. His teammates who play every day are in the 2 to 3 range.

It's not impossible to get to a 7.7 in one season, and with about the same amount of effort spread out over 7 years my son is about that level at about that age. . .

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

14 hours ago, jshanks26 said:

Thanks,

Jordan

Good work.

I think starting young is great. At 17 I had no awareness of golf..... such is life.

I use old Taylor Made clubs from eBay and golf shops.

2 hours ago, Lihu said:

I kind agree with @JBailey that you might be a little bit harsh on the OP, but I was thinking the same thing as you. 7.7 in a few months is pretty prodigal. Actually, any single digit in a few months is amazing.

It's not impossible that many high school kids (only because there are so many of them around), can get down into the single digits pretty quickly in one season. My son is 16 and was playing for 6 years playing to a 15 for the longest time, then in one golf season dropped into the single digits during competitive rounds. His teammates encouraged him improve, and he encourages his teammates in turn. They also compete (in a fun way) every day over every little thing like who can hit the ball the highest, farthest or most accurately. After 2 full seasons and some friendly matches with his teammates over the summer he's about a 6-7, and plays only twice a week. His teammates who play every day are in the 2 to 3 range.

It's not impossible to get to a 7.7 in one season, and with about the same amount of effort spread out over 7 years my son is about that level at about that age. . .

Playing for 6 years and then dropping to single digit is completely different than getting to 7.7 in a few months.  To be 7.7 in matter of months, one has to acquire a good full swing and have an equally good short game.   Playing every so often doesn't get you there.   You have to get a good instruction along the way.  There isn't enough months to do that.  My guess is that this is another 1st timer posting to get reaction out of us.   Like I stated, his user name is a dead giveaway.    He is a troll.   If not, he should post his swing in the Swing thread and I will apologize for jumping the gun.  

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

Whats with the people that come on the web site and ask the "is that any good" question?

Just supposing this J.O. actually did this, do you think he'd need to ask us about it?

The fact that it is Post #1 seals it.  

Edited by mcanadiens

If its true, then its good.  If its a hoax, its sad to get enjoyment from it.  Of course, if it IS a hoax, then the gentlemen who continue to post their outrage are giving the OP exactly what he wants. 

• Upvote 1

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

I don't think it's impossible, but it is very unlikely that 1. you actually are a 7.7 and 2. that you wouldn't already know that it's pretty darn good in such a short time. 

I would ask how closely the rules are followed, and how you *the OP* have tracked your handicap. Do you play the same course all the time? That can cause some people's index to be lower than it would if they play many different courses. Do you only play with people who are low single digit or scratch players? That could account for not really knowing how good a 7.7 would be compare to average players. I withhold any real judgement about the truth/validity of your handicap until we know more about some of these things.

Edited by Jeremie Boop

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

I'm  28 and have only been playing for 3 years on Long Island New York where weather isn't favorable and wind is usually gusting I have managed to get down to a 6 handicap with limited practice , why can't a young kid who most likely  has no bills or other responsibilities but golf to do so?  Just because  you can't do it doesn't mean someone else can't. If you believe he or anyone else is lying put your money where your mouth is and challenge them in a round for $$ instead of insulting the guy basically calling him a liar.

1 hour ago, rkim291968 said:

Playing for 6 years and then dropping to single digit is completely different than getting to 7.7 in a few months.  To be 7.7 in matter of months, one has to acquire a good full swing and have an equally good short game.   Playing every so often doesn't get you there.   You have to get a good instruction along the way.  There isn't enough months to do that.  My guess is that this is another 1st timer posting to get reaction out of us.   Like I stated, his user name is a dead giveaway.    He is a troll.   If not, he should post his swing in the Swing thread and I will apologize for jumping the gun.  

Yeah, there was a touch of sarcasm in that post, but I still think that the OP could possibly have done it. If he had done it, scratch is likely less than a year away for him. . .

48 minutes ago, NewYorkGolfer26 said:

I'm  28 and have only been playing for 3 years on Long Island New York where weather isn't favorable and wind is usually gusting I have managed to get down to a 6 handicap with limited practice , why can't a young kid who most likely  has no bills or other responsibilities but golf to do so?  Just because  you can't do it doesn't mean someone else can't. If you believe he or anyone else is lying put your money where your mouth is and challenge them in a round for $$ instead of insulting the guy basically calling him a liar.

I don't like to doubt either, but I can see why there is. This kid went from a beginner to 7.7HC in what amounts to a few months of playing. Not wanting to cast doubt on your claim, but you should know how hard that is to do. . .

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Let's be real here 7.7 is basically shooting an 80 not very unrealistic with the right amount of practice and commitment. @Shorty if any sports reporter for any newspaper were writing articles about golfers shooting 79/80 they would be out of a job very quickly.

• Upvote 1

52 minutes ago, NewYorkGolfer26 said:

B/c we have seen these posts so many times and they never can back up their claim?   Most if not all of these posts have proven to be "look at me, I want attention" type of posts.   1st 3 times I've seen these fooled me.   After 20 more, it's not interesting at all.

You realize he claims to drop to 7.7 in matter of months just playing, right?   No details on how he got there.  

3 minutes ago, NewYorkGolfer26 said:

Let's be real here 7.7 is basically shooting an 80 not very unrealistic with the right amount of practice and commitment. @Shorty if any sports reporter for any newspaper were writing articles about golfers shooting 79/80 they would be out of a job very quickly.

I bet there are hundreds of 1st timer post like this.   Do a bit of search and see where they ended up.     Hang around this site and you will see many more, and you will reach the same conclusion @Short & I have reached.   Welcome to the forum, BTW.   I mean it.

• Upvote 1

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

14 minutes ago, NewYorkGolfer26 said:

This is where the doubters do have a point. 3 to 4 months of playing and practice from first picking up a club is hard to fathom for anyone. If he had been let's say a 27 for 3 months then suddenly started to improve while learning all the rules and has a very high talent level, that makes perfect sense. Greg Norman did this, but is an extreme exception.

As far as reporters are concerned, that would come when he hits scratch in a year and starts winning some of his club and city competitions. . .

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Note: This thread is 2350 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!