IGNORED

The Architecture Thread

nevets88
Note: This thread is 2373 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

We've got movies, music, tech, books, why not architecture?

Toyo Ito's new library/media/cultural center opened in Gifu City. Eco friendly design, interesting use of space.

toyo-ito-gifu-city-library-minna-no-mori

http://www.designboom.com/architecture/toyo-ito-gifu-city-library-minna-no-mori-media-cosmos-06-17-2015/

http://g-mediacosmos.jp/lib/

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

2 hours ago, nevets88 said:

Toyo Ito's new library/media/cultural center opened in Gifu City. Eco friendly design, interesting use of space.

http://www.designboom.com/architecture/toyo-ito-gifu-city-library-minna-no-mori-media-cosmos-06-17-2015/

More like a waste of space. 20ft high ceilings and all the shelving units are only 4ft high? Seems like an attempt to spend as much money as possible instead of building a functional library. Everything should have a purpose, not simply look nice.

• Upvote 1

:callaway: Big Bertha Alpha 815 DBD  :bridgestone: TD-03 Putter   
:tmade: 300 Tour 3W                 :true_linkswear: Motion Shoes
:titleist: 585H Hybrid                       
:tmade: TP MC irons                 
:ping: Glide 54             
:ping: Glide 58
:cleveland: 588 RTX 62

3 minutes ago, SavvySwede said:

More like a waste of space. 20ft high ceilings and all the shelving units are only 4ft high? Seems like an attempt to spend as much money as possible instead of building a functional library. Everything should have a purpose, not simply look nice.

I kinda thought the same thing. Being an engineer I am more trained to think in terms of sustainability. I think Architects hate that word because it just means constraints ;)

• Upvote 1

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

39 minutes ago, SavvySwede said:

Maybe it's a children's library.  They can't reach that high up. ;) Yes it looks like an expensive set-up.  Sustainability makes people feel good as they are 'seen to be doing something' to save the planet (from what I'm still trying to work out). Having contributed to conference papers on the subject of sustainable development, I still find it amazing that more effort is not channeled into critical areas of need, compared to money thrown at 'cute' projects where everyone enjoys the word 'sustainability' thrown around more than the merits of the project itself.  BHP really needs to have a look at their idea of sustainability given what has occurred in Brazil recently. The mining industry should be very concerned over this incident.

Edited by Return2Golf

6 hours ago, SavvySwede said:

Architecture is about light and space, not matching ceiling heights to shelving.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

12 hours ago, saevel25 said:

I kinda thought the same thing. Being an engineer I am more trained to think in terms of sustainability. I think Architects hate that word because it just means constraints ;)

I'm another engineer, and I've always thought of architects as being artists, not necessarily rooted in reality.  I tend to think in terms of efficiency, what's the best and easiest way to get something done.  That's certainly a pretty room, and it may actually make pretty efficient use of exterior light, but that's a huge volume of air to heat or cool for a single level of  usable space.  Also, all them curvy things are pretty expensive to build.

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

Sometimes I'm convinced that when architects get together they brag about designs they got some fool or fools to build. Case in point Frank Gehry. Remember the fable of the Emperor's Clothes. Houses and University structures are what we have today.

Ask an Architect how much time they spent learning about construction costs and how to determine them as part of their education.

16 hours ago, SavvySwede said:

....Everything should have a purpose, not simply look nice.

I'm afraid you missed the purpose.

The purpose of architecture is to inspire.  To lift the heart, the soul, the spirit.

This is what sustains us.

18 hours ago, nevets88 said:

Ito is the real deal.  I enjoy his work in a similar way I used to I enjoy Tod Williams/Billie Tsien's stuff.  The germinating idea comes from anywhere and is followed relentlessly.  Ito is miles ahead of course.

Beautiful library.

4 minutes ago, metaswinger said:

The purpose of architecture is to inspire.  To lift the heart, the soul, the spirit.

I think some type architecture is cool. Really it doesn't lift the heart, soul or spirit for me. I think interior design has more importance to do with that than architecture. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

6 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

I think some type architecture is cool. Really it doesn't lift the heart, soul or spirit for me. 

It's generally not valued in our society as we are a very conservative lot.  Of course there are inspirational projects in the States (and I can point you to a ton), but generally speaking, they are a very small portion of the built environment.

On 11/13/2015, 2:57:02, Shorty said:

Architecture is about light and space, not matching ceiling heights to shelving.

18 hours ago, metaswinger said:

Ito is the real deal.  I enjoy his work in a similar way I used to I enjoy Tod Williams/Billie Tsien's stuff.  The germinating idea comes from anywhere and is followed relentlessly.  Ito is miles ahead of course.

Beautiful library.

Though a beautiful building serves the public good in its own way, a good library is much more beneficial to the community and features that favor that purpose ought to be preferred. Think of how many hard to find books they could have stocked for the cost of that ceiling. People won't use it if it doesn't have the resources they need.

:callaway: Big Bertha Alpha 815 DBD  :bridgestone: TD-03 Putter   
:tmade: 300 Tour 3W                 :true_linkswear: Motion Shoes
:titleist: 585H Hybrid                       
:tmade: TP MC irons                 
:ping: Glide 54             
:ping: Glide 58
:cleveland: 588 RTX 62

But books as we go into the future will take up less and less physical space. I never liked studying at the practical standard height ceilings claustrophobic hear every single thing no space to think libraries of my university. I always preferred big high ceilinged spaces - it was less oppressive.

Give me a sunlight flooded room, sounds muted by echoes, space galore.

Looking at Gifu's average temps, it does get cold, but average looks to be 5 degrees celsius higher than that of NYC, so not that cold. Don't high ceilings mean less energy needed to keep cool during the summer.

University_of_Chicago,_Harper_Library_Ri

grid-cell-18204-1374068861-12.jpg

TU-Delft-library-interior.jpg

Seattle-public-library-zip%20(9).jpg

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

This was a place I once spent a bit of time... (Doe Library at Cal)

56474d12c470e_Doelibrary.jpg.a2f807f32d1

"But books as we go into the future will take up less and less physical space. I never liked studying at the practical low ceilinged claustrophobic hear every single thing no space to think libraries of my university. I always preferred big high ceilinged spaces - it was less oppressive."

One of my current projects is an interior library renovation at UC Santa Cruz.  I have to say I'm a bit old school and have conflicted feelings about the speed that books are being tossed out of libraries.  On this team, I'm pretty much alone with this position.  The Uni has two libraries and the primary one will not change - the stacks will remain.  The secondary library (Science Library which is indeed large), has removed floors of stacks to create study/collaboration/"maker spaces"/computer stations.  

What makes me question my initial reservations is the popularity of the spaces.  The space hasn't even been renovated yet (only the books have been removed) and kids are sitting sitting everywhere in groups collaborating, working on laptops, and generally (seemingly) being productive.  It's quite a sight - and it makes me feel old...

5 hours ago, SavvySwede said:

Though a beautiful building serves the public good in its own way, a good library is much more beneficial to the community and features that favor that purpose ought to be preferred. Think of how many hard to find books they could have stocked for the cost of that ceiling. People won't use it if it doesn't have the resources they need.

Any architect that designs a library to contain books is not doing his/her job.

Sad as it may seem it is a reality.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

• 3 weeks later...

The Burj Khalifa still feels relatively new, Shanghai Tower was finished recently and the Kingdom Tower, which will be taller than the BK by a long par 3, is in progress. The phallus contest continues!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/destinations/middleeast/saudiarabia/12025102/Jeddahs-Kingdom-Tower-a-step-closer-to-becoming-worlds-tallest-building.html

Screen Shot 2015-11-30 at 4.09.20 PM.png

Steve

28 minutes ago, nevets88 said:

The Burj Khalifa still feels relatively new, Shanghai Tower was finished recently and the Kingdom Tower, which will be taller than the BK by a long par 3, is in progress. The phallus contest continues!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/destinations/middleeast/saudiarabia/12025102/Jeddahs-Kingdom-Tower-a-step-closer-to-becoming-worlds-tallest-building.html

Screen Shot 2015-11-30 at 4.09.20 PM.png

I remember 8 years ago or so when I went to Dubai to get married they were just laying the foundation for burj khalifa, when I visited a few months ago that tower just revolutionized the whole area with the dancing fountain alone costing something like 200M $$.

I read the news today about how they secured the funding for the kingdom tower at 2B $$..  I'm just really shocked that they would build it in Jeddah and not in Riyadh.. A very strange decision IMO.

:adams: / :tmade: / :edel: / :aimpoint: / :ecco: / :bushnell: / :gamegolf: / 

Eyad

• 1 month later...

Some shots of the Lusail marina twin towers if you're watching the Euro tour event. Thanks @rolopolo

Untitled-1.jpg

TWIN%20TOWERS%20POSTER%20copy.jpg

http://yourshot.nationalgeographic.com/photos/6778039/

Steve

• 1 year later...

Steve

Note: This thread is 2373 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!