Sign in to follow this  
Dave325

which method of instruction do you prefer?

Note: This thread is 1691 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

28 posts / 2097 viewsLast Reply

48 minutes ago, mvmac said:

Much closer than San Diego ;-) I've traveled to Erie several times to work on my game, well worth it.

Oh, I'm sure it's worth it - it's just a matter of finding the discretionary funds.  Haha. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I'd go for in person instruction any day. I find its better to get a feel for the changes you are looking to implement, you can ask questions after a few shots and get instant feedback.

Online is still better than nothing but you have to make sure you are picking up the correct bits to help your game. I'm going through a transition right now of using a bit more online than I used too. Mainly because of a bad experience with my current instructor and considering trying someone else but have had great results so far with my current instructor.

It all boils down to how you feel really. We all learn differently.

I think most instructors schedule 50 minute lessons around here with at 10 minute break in between. If it's a long drive to Erie, why don't you see if he'll schedule a multiple session of maybe two lessons? Granted you'll probably be working on the same thing for the second one, but that's one more hour of getting it right before you're turned loose.

If money was not a consideration, I like in person lessons with video the best.

But, I think the best value is Evolvr online lessons.

And in between lessons I think it's great to video your swing and analyze on your own.

It's all an education that helps you understand your swing better.

I've done both and will do both in the future.

If money were no object, I'd give it a year of learning under Evolvr online. But I'd want the first lesson to be in-person with the instructor, and a few more throughout the year. Unless the instructor thought that was unnecessary.

If offered, I'd also pay to have an on-the-course lesson at the beginning and end of the year.

9 hours ago, Dave325 said:

Thanks for the great advice everyone. Ok then... so I am going to plan a trip to Erie.

Nice - don't forget to write up a Trip Report! 

I started seven years ago in my early 30's. I was a good athlete my whole life, but had no idea how to even hold a golf club near proper.

I've thoroughly enjoyed reading, watching, trying. It has been much like a treasure hunt. Always have enjoyed self-learning different things.

Granted, I'm sure I could have become a better golfer quicker by paying for lessons, etc. But there has been a true joy from attempting to "dig it out of the dirt."

That being said, I agree with 5SK and the help iacas provides to so many. Quite honestly, it would be a great opportunity to gain insight from him regarding your golf swing!

As RFKFREAK said, please give us a Trip Report about your experience. Great use of time before spring!

Best of Luck!

Note: This thread is 1691 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!