IGNORED

Share your New Strokes Gained Data from GAME Golf!

iacas
Note: This thread is 2540 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

On March 8, 2016 at 8:52 PM, the fish said:

I've noticed at my course they consider an adjacent fairway as FIR. I wish they wouldn't, as it certainly isn't an accurate tee shot if I'm that far over.

I've had that same problem on a course I play. When it happens, I don't sign the round. I email customer service at GG, and they edit it, so it shows fairway missed. They're not sure why it happens (at least they don't tell me). But they're pretty quick with the edit--usually a day, then I can sign the round.

• Upvote 2

Craig
What's in the :ogio: Silencer bag (on the :clicgear: cart)
Driver: :callaway: Razr Fit 10.5°  
5 Wood: :tmade: Burner  
Hybrid: :cobra: Baffler DWS 20°
Irons: :ping: G400 
Wedge: :ping: Glide 2.0 54° ES grind 
Putter: :heavyputter:  midweight CX2
:aimpoint:,  :bushnell: Tour V4

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

http://www.gamegolf.com/player/lihu/insights/share/0f0dc44848

I guess this means that if my short game were better I too could be a single digit player? :-D

My putting stats are going to be off because I don't edit the hole locations. I don't usually have time to fix things unless I have a 400 yard drive from having not tagged a shot or something stupid like that.

If these tips are true, I'll work on my putting from 10 feet and in and short game. I think I need to take those shots more seriously than just setup and putt/chip. My drives have been pretty erratic since going back to graphite shafts, but I feel like it will improve some. 8i, 7i and 6i definitely need some work. My range shots are still a lot better than my on course shots with these clubs. That should change once I go from Mizuno MP-32 to Ping i20 when I get the i20 re-fitted to standard lengths.

Smart Tips

Areas for Targeted Improvement & Practice

Putting
Practice your short putts less than 10 feet to lower your score by up to 6.8 strokes per round.

Short Game
Increase your accuracy between 25-50 yards from the rough to lower your score by up to 1.19 strokes per round.

Off the Tee
Improve your tee shots on holes between 400-450 yards to lower your score by up to 0.52 strokes per round.

Approach
Work on your shots between 150-175 yards from the rough to lower your score by up to 0.35 strokes per round.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

21 minutes ago, Lihu said:

http://www.gamegolf.com/player/lihu/insights/share/0f0dc44848

I guess this means that if my short game were better I too could be a single digit player? :-D

My putting stats are going to be off because I don't edit the hole locations. I don't usually have time to fix things unless I have a 400 yard drive from having not tagged a shot or something stupid like that.

If these tips are true, I'll work on my putting from 10 feet and in and short game. I think I need to take those shots more seriously than setup and chip. My drives have been pretty erratic since going back to graphite shafts, but I feel like it will improve some. 8i, 7i and 6i definitely need some work. My range shots are still a lot better than my on course shots with these clubs. That should change once I go from MP-32 to Ping i20 when I get the i20 re-fitted to standard lengths.

If I go to your link and change the drop down setting to compare you to a 25 handicap player, you are losing 1.96 strokes vs. the 25 handicap. That seems odd to me.

Same kind of thing for me.  GameGolf HI currently at 15.1, putts per hole at 1.9.

Are we really that bad at putting vs. the herd?

Also, notice that I'm losing 3.93 strokes vs. a 15 HI, yet I'm have a 15.1 GameGolf HI.  This has got me questioning the stats.  I don't know enough about the calculations to know anything for sure though.

Here is mine: 

vs 15.PNG

vs 25.PNG

8 minutes ago, No Mulligans said:

If I go to your link and change the drop down setting to compare you to a 25 handicap player, you are losing 1.96 strokes vs. the 25 handicap. That seems odd to me.

Same kind of thing for me.  GameGolf HI currently at 15.1, putts per hole at 1.9.

Are we really that bad at putting vs. the herd?

Here is mine: 

vs 15.PNG

vs 25.PNG

Guessing yes.

My putting is pretty bad, but my scores are not horrible because I'm close to the green losing most of my strokes. I broke a record with 5 strokes from inside 10 yards last week. My 4 putt bogey was another good one a couple weeks back.

Putting is not so fun to practice, and the practice greens are the best place to con yourself. They aren't anything like the putts you make on the course. When I was playing daily, my short game was a lot better.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Here is something else I don't understand... If you add up my strokes gained vs a 15 HI the result is 3.93 and vs a 25 HI the result is a -5.12.  But my GameGolf HI is 15.1.

Shouldn't my overall strokes gained vs a 15 HI be .1 and vs a 25 HI be a -9.9?

• Administrator
17 minutes ago, No Mulligans said:

Here is something else I don't understand... If you add up my strokes gained vs a 15 HI the result is 3.93 and vs a 25 HI the result is a -5.12.  But my GameGolf HI is 15.1.

Shouldn't my overall strokes gained vs a 15 HI be .1 and vs a 25 HI be a -9.9?

Handicaps throw out half of your scores (the worst half). I think Strokes Gained (or in GG more like "strokes lost") is based on the average, not the 1/2 of your best scores.

In other words, if your handicap is 15 you average maybe 88 in half of your rounds, but you average 94 or so in the other half, and average 91 overall.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

5 minutes ago, iacas said:

Handicaps throw out half of your scores (the worst half). I think Strokes Gained (or in GG more like "strokes lost") is based on the average, not the 1/2 of your best scores.

I hadn't thought of that a possibility.

It seems it should be apples to apples.  Compare all of my last 20 to the last 20 of the average 15HI for instance... Or, compare my best 10 of last 20 rounds to the best 10 of last 20 rounds of the average for 15 HI.

Maybe it already is and I just have an unusual variance between my best and worse rounds.

• Administrator
3 minutes ago, No Mulligans said:

It seems it should be apples to apples.  Compare all of my last 20 to the last 20 of the average 15HI for instance... Or, compare my best 10 of last 20 rounds to the best 10 of last 20 rounds of the average for 15 HI.

It probably is.

You think it should be 0.1, but that's not the average score. You lose strokes to a 15 handicapper. Perhaps you have a wider variance in your good and bad rounds than the average 15 handicapper, so your average score is higher.

• Upvote 1

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

hello everyone, I note for now the stats Strokes Gained on a spreadsheet and I still hesitate to buy Game Golf.
I wonder how Game Golf manages the locations of flags for the automatic calculation of the distances.
I think that if the GPS calculates the center of the green, the recorded distances are necessarily false.
Does one of you can explain to me how it works for this specific problem?
Thank you very much.

1 hour ago, glinks said:

hello everyone, I note for now the stats Strokes Gained on a spreadsheet and I still hesitate to buy Game Golf.
I wonder how Game Golf manages the locations of flags for the automatic calculation of the distances.
I think that if the GPS calculates the center of the green, the recorded distances are necessarily false.
Does one of you can explain to me how it works for this specific problem?
Thank you very much.

Just load the free version of the application, give it a test drive and in the future it will likely sell you on buying the actual system.

It does not account for the exact location of flags automatically, no system does that. You just have to eyeball within a few yards or so. However, as an 18 handicap I would advise just trying to hit the center of the green. That's pretty much what I do, and probably what the 95% of us should be doing anyway.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Thank you for your advice.
My question is on the functioning of the unit.

Are the distances recorded to calculate Strokes Gained statistics are those from the center of the green ?

8 minutes ago, glinks said:

Thank you for your advice.
My question is on the functioning of the unit.

Are the distances recorded to calculate Strokes Gained statistics are those from the center of the green ?

Yes, long game distances are recorded very accurately. It makes no assumptions on those shots. I am using an iPhone 6S plus and it tracks them to within a yard on the holes/shots I checked. It's very accurate for tee shot and approaches.

The center of the green is the target for everything around the green. As far as accuracy of the strokes gained statistic around the greens. Maybe not so exact, but close enough because it is telling me where my weaknesses are at the moment. I know I have a weak short game and it tells me that. My partners tell me that and my kids tell me that as well. I prefer the objectiveness of the GG system to the other "opinions". :-D

Load the app and try it for a few rounds. The new interface is really good. Luckily, you don't have to deal with their old UI.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

7 minutes ago, Lihu said:

Yes, long game distances are recorded very accurately. I am using an iPhone 6S plus and it tracks them to within a yard on the holes/shots I checked. It's very accurate for tee shot and approaches.

No doubt about the accuracy. And for short distances (less than 50 yards), if the flag is at the entrance of the green, the device will record the middle of the green. Is it possible to correct the distance saved automatically?

Just now, glinks said:

No doubt about the accuracy. And for short distances (less than 50 yards), if the flag is at the entrance of the green, the device will record the middle of the green. Is it possible to correct the distance saved automatically?

You can edit, but the zoom feature is not really tight enough to get within a couple feet or so. I think they are working on some improvements to the UI in the near future. They are pretty good about listening to people and upgrading their SW for everyone.

Just download it and try it for a dozen rounds or so. You'll like it.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

• Administrator

@Lihu, please don't answer questions if you're not certain of the answer. I'm pretty sure for short game shots the center of the green is not what it considers the target.

@glinks, when you edit the round, you specify the location of the hole. GG makes some assumptions if you don't edit (i.e. it usually puts the hole a few feet from a second or third putt, for example). When you one-putt, it often assumes center of the green, but you just move it until it's in the proper spot. The distance of the putt (in feet) is displayed so you can be accurate with even your strokes gained putting stats.

13 minutes ago, iacas said:

@Lihu, please don't answer questions if you're not certain of the answer. I'm pretty sure for short game shots the center of the green is not what it considers the target.

I was only going by behavior, should have noted that with less "certainty". I'll be more careful next time around.

The strokes gained appears to indicate general weaknesses very accurately even if the hole locations are not edited and recorded exactly. All the people I play with move pretty quickly, and there isn't really enough time to edit the hole location on the app very easily. Plus, the zoom feature becomes a grid when I try to zoom into what I think is the appropriate scale. So, I just live with the larger short game strokes gained statistics. It seems to somewhat even out with enough rounds?

Very happy with the application so far. My spending money on myself account will accrue enough to get the GG Live unit in a couple months, as I am still paying off my new iPhone 6S plus. In retrospect, I probably didn't need the maximum memory option. :-P

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

23 minutes ago, iacas said:

@glinks, when you edit the round, you specify the location of the hole. GG makes some assumptions if you don't edit (i.e. it usually puts the hole a few feet from a second or third putt, for example). When you one-putt, it often assumes center of the green, but you just move it until it's in the proper spot. The distance of the putt (in feet) is displayed so you can be accurate with even your strokes gained putting stats.

Thank you for your reply, it looks fine.
Another question about GPS accuracy.
How the devise records the lie when the ball is on the border of the rough and the fairway?

1 hour ago, Lihu said:

You can edit, but the zoom feature is not really tight enough to get within a couple feet or so. I think they are working on some improvements to the UI in the near future. They are pretty good about listening to people and upgrading their SW for everyone.

Just download it and try it for a dozen rounds or so. You'll like it.

I will, thanks for your answers

Note: This thread is 2540 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!